PDA

View Full Version : Review: Sushi Ginza Willow Park

vengie
03-12-2012, 06:30 PM
My family and I decided to go out for sushi, straying away from our usual spot "Kinjo" we decided on Sushi Ginza.

First impression: Walking in, it was a nicely renovated establishment. We were sat in a "Booth" of sorts, it was definitely cramped even for only 4 of us, but it had a nice warm feel to it.

On to the food, we ordered 15 salmon pieces, 2 eel, rainbow rolls, and spicy tuna rolls.
Presentation was nice, every thing looked good, everything went down hill from here...

The food itself was decent at best, if it wasn't for the massive amount of wasabi I slathered on there would be little to no flavour... Tea was luke warm but that was quite minor. One piece of salmon sushi had a massive piece of hair entwined within the rice which turned my mother off eating completely! (Won't lie, I was even a little disgusted by it)

When we went to pay, our bill totalled $97 (Quite expensive relative to kinjo also), and much to my dismay, they did not do a single thing to make up for the piece of hair, no apology, nothing. I even asked the manager to comp the bill in SOME way, ANYTHING to make his customers happy... He replied with "That is not our company policy, nothing I can do".

My entire family has been in the service industry, myself for the past 5 years. So it was not like we were in any way being unreasonable, hell if they took the $3 tea off I would have been happy!

Overall my family left quite disappointed (Mother left hungry). From what I saw Sushi Ginza has no concern for customer satisfaction, and we will be sticking to Kinjo from now on.

n1zm0
03-12-2012, 06:56 PM
if you frequent kinjo and other deeper south sushi places, have you ever tried Izumi, it's where the Tokyo Garden was, same building, different name now i guess.

i think they kept the same chefs because it was almost exactly like tokyo's quality but changed the menu quite a bit, maybe i should do a review on it, Ginza's one of those chinese sushi chef type places isn't it? i think that's what my brother said cause he was saying the chefs were clearly yapping out loud in cantonese. as for kinjo, i always thought of that place as a 'on-the-go' sushi places, maybe should actually try it before saying anything tho.

Tik-Tok
03-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
if you frequent kinjo and other deeper south sushi places, have you ever tried Izumi, it's where the Tokyo Garden was, same building, different name now i guess.

SSSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I don't need another favorite spot to get so ridiculously busy I can't get a table!!!

cloud7
03-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Went to Izumi yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. There are doing some Special Days (Sun - Thu) up until the end of March. We stumbled upon the Special Roll Day where all special rolls are priced at $10.95 for regular size and $8.95 for small size rolls. Portions were big and very good quality.

Disoblige
03-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Izumi Sushi Yokozuna, huge portions, that's for sure.. Too big IMO, but depends what you are looking for in a good meal. If you just want to be stuffed, then fine.

Sushi Ginza, thanks for the review vengie.

ercchry
03-15-2012, 03:32 PM
ginza was my favorite southern sushi place, but i have noticed a decline lately, its too bad real... it use to be worth the price. but yeah kinjo is terrible :rofl:

fourrings
03-15-2012, 03:41 PM
I too had a horrible expereince there as well about 2 years ago, my sushi came luke warm and I almost had to serve myself. I was loyal to them for years but I think it's all gone to their heads.

jvyyc
03-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Yeah that last time I went to Ginza I wasn't impressed either. Mediocre quality, high prices. Just discovered a new place in Evergreen (near the Bull and Finch and the Sobeys) that is quite good if you go that far South. Used to live in the NW and miss Sushi Boat. Not a lot of options in or near our new neighborhood (Silverado)>

nj2Type-S
03-16-2012, 12:57 AM
^Li-Ao Sushi!!!

huge portions and excellent service! :)

jvyyc
03-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
^Li-Ao Sushi!!!

huge portions and excellent service! :)

That's the one! Thanks god us folks in the deep south got some decent sushi!

ercchry
03-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by jvyyc

That's the one! Thanks god us folks in the deep south got some decent sushi!

went last night, was pretty good. more of a quick meal kind of place instead of fine dining type sushi. but still miles ahead of kinjo

1barA4
03-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
but yeah kinjo is terrible :rofl:

Kinjo is to sushi what Edo is to real Japanese teppanyaki....Not surprising considering it's the founder of Edo's sushi place.

vengie
03-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Went to Izumi last night! found myself a new spot :thumbsup:

HyperZell
03-19-2012, 03:18 PM
What's with all the Kinjo hate? They have the best service of any sushi place I've been to, I've never found the food objectionable and the Dalhousie one is the best sushi in the NW.

A790
03-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell
What's with all the Kinjo hate? They have the best service of any sushi place I've been to, I've never found the food objectionable and the Dalhousie one is the best sushi in the NW.
Agreed.

ercchry
03-19-2012, 04:22 PM
...white people :rofl:

IggyB
03-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Just spent some time and money at Sushi Ginza on Saturday. Tea was hot, no hair that I could see, food was good.

Never had bad food or service other than one waitress confirming numerous times the 4 extra ginger orders. I like ginger. :D

Been to Kinjo too. Didn't like the open ginger containers that were kept on table for all diners. Didn't like being kicked out after finishing the meal, wanted to sip some tea and chill. The sampler that they bring when you sit down must be leftovers from years past - rice was crunchy. Not going back there again.

But will try the place in Evergreen.

mekeni
03-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Kinjo is the McDonald's of sushi (except for the affordable price)

max_boost
03-19-2012, 05:28 PM
...white people :rofl:

As long as the majority of you folks like it, that's all that matters (business perspective). Most restaurants rather cater to the masses and not to those with discernable tastes IMO! :D

I find Sushi Ginza/Kinjo/Sushi Tokyo/Fujiyama/Sakana Grill are all about the same quality wise. I still love Wa's but any place in Vancouver > all in 403. :drool:

Edit: I agree with OP. Management should have done something if there was something wrong with the food. Vengie, are you going to be vengeful and call the health boards on them? All you gotta say is you didn't feel well after having a meal there and can even go further and say you saw what looked like to be mice droppings in the premises haha The health board will almost ALWAYS follow up lol

1barA4
03-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by mekeni
Kinjo is the McDonald's of sushi (except for the affordable price)

We go there because it's white-friendly for our compatriots; they love Peter's kitschy act and the spicy stuff is not spicy in the least (plus, free Pocky and the odd full free roll). The prices are equal to better places, sadly, but it's the only place we can do a communal dinner at (it's so white washed, my friend's wife who does not eat ANY ethnic food, not even dim sum, loves it there).

Tik-Tok
03-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

any place in Vancouver > all in 403. :drool:

Whole-heartedly concur... and I just don't understand why! Only the top 10% of sushi restaurants in Vancouver use fresh fish, the rest use flash frozen, same as here, but they just don't compare :dunno:

max_boost
03-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Maybe it's the effect of quantity and price. You get more and pay less so how can you complain?! lol

nj2Type-S
03-26-2012, 12:32 PM
i live in the deep south and Li-Ao Sushi is literally a 2 min drive from my place. i actually don't mind kinjo but there's always a huge line-up there everytime i want to go fo sushi so just don't bother.

that place in southland next to the worleyparsons building isn't too bad. i'm going to vancouver this april long weekend so i'll get my fix of good sushi :drool: :drool: :drool:

clem24
03-26-2012, 04:14 PM
LOL eyes rolled as soon as I read "our usual spot is Kinjo".

There's exactly 3 places I am aware of in Calgary that actually serve decent sushi (Zipang, Misato, Sushi Bar Miki). Kind of disappointed there isn't more.

Any sushi connoisseurs want to comment on Izumi? I haven't been to Tokyo Garden in over 10 years at least.

HomespunLobster
03-26-2012, 04:24 PM
I was visiting Tokyo Garden last year frequently, they had $1.50/rolls of sushi forbeing open 10 years or something like that.

It was pretty good sushi. Haven't been there since they've changed

ercchry
03-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by clem24

There's exactly 3 places I am aware of in Calgary that actually serve decent sushi (Zipang, Misato, Sushi Bar Miki). Kind of disappointed there isn't more.

have you tried Ubu Lounge yet? was really impressed with it. we were even there with a guy who had recently ate at the top 10 in north american place in van (cant remember the name) a month prior and he was also impressed.

max_boost
03-26-2012, 05:19 PM
^^^

Wa's is really good too. As for UBU, it's OK I didn't think it was anything to rave about. The party scene/music afterwards was good though haha

ercchry
03-26-2012, 06:21 PM
but did you try the sea robin, baby halibut, butter fish, or any of the other rare (for calgary) fish? or the lobster corn dogs :drool:

n1zm0
03-26-2012, 09:29 PM

Any sushi connoisseurs want to comment on Izumi? I haven't been to Tokyo Garden in over 10 years at least.

I used to go frequently back in the day to Tokyo garden with the family, and when I went last month I was almost certain the chefs were the same as TG, I think they just changed the name, really now they have a bunch of those fusion rolls like alot of them, but they still maintain the same quality sashimi and general nigiri is still the same as it was 10 + years ago

edit:The only thing I didn't enjoy was the urchin wasn't too fresh I thought, but ate it anyways after i put some of the capelin roe on top lol

TomcoPDR
03-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

I used to go frequently back in the day to Tokyo garden with the family, and when I went last month I was almost certain the chefs were the same as TG, I think they just changed the name, really now they have a bunch of those fusion rolls like alot of them, but they still maintain the same quality sashimi and general nigiri is still the same as it was 10 + years ago

edit:The only thing I didn't enjoy was the urchin wasn't too fresh I thought, but ate it anyways after i put some of the capelin roe on top lol

Yea you got that right "it's still the same"... even the fuckin' ugly ass bathroom and those blue pisser piles are still the same... same old cracked tiles too.

Food wise, not bad, about the same type of pricing as Ginza.... I think this place (T.G.) or Izumi is only cool if you're with a bunch of friends or the office crowd from near by... it doesn't have that 2 ppl romantic feel as Ginza's boat, or booths.

So was the old bald white guy to the owner of T.G.? Haven't seen him around with the Izumi management... There used to be this really HOT (not cute, HOT) blonde that worked at T.G. that was maybe about 2006-2008

clem24
03-27-2012, 08:19 AM

have you tried Ubu Lounge yet? was really impressed with it. we were even there with a guy who had recently ate at the top 10 in north american place in van (cant remember the name) a month prior and he was also impressed.

Sounds interesting..

Wa's is really good too. As for UBU, it's OK I didn't think it was anything to rave about. haha

Wa's problem is its inconsistency... It might be good one day of the week but be terrible the other 6. But even then, I can honestly say I've had much better sushi elsewhere.

[Edit] Just looked at the Ubu website.. LOL I am think I am in the wrong demographic ahahaha. Hipster sushi?!? Menu is kind of lame as well. Hate that there's cream cheese in half the rolls though at least rolls aren't on my usuals list. Personally I don't think that belongs in sushi. Still I'd be willing to try it.

ercchry
03-27-2012, 08:43 AM
most of their fish menu is on their "daily specials", always changing

n1zm0
03-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Yea you got that right "it's still the same"... even the fuckin' ugly ass bathroom and those blue pisser piles are still the same... same old cracked tiles too.

Food wise, not bad, about the same type of pricing as Ginza.... I think this place (T.G.) or Izumi is only cool if you're with a bunch of friends or the office crowd from near by... it doesn't have that 2 ppl romantic feel as Ginza's boat, or booths.

So was the old bald white guy to the owner of T.G.? Haven't seen him around with the Izumi management... There used to be this really HOT (not cute, HOT) blonde that worked at T.G. that was maybe about 2006-2008

yeah lol that droopy-faced japanese waiter guy (one of those few japanese ppl who almost have caucasian features to their face) was either the owner or a very very loyal lifer to TG. He was there since the first day i went as a kid as far as i remember, didn't see him that time tho.

There was this wider-set caucasian lady and her 'date' (wider set male) there she ordered -i shit you not- 30 california rolls, 20 tempura shrimps, 15 dynamite rolls, 1 loveboat and a teriyaki pork + rice etc so i guess it can be 'intimate and romantic' if you both enjoy that much food. but you're right it's a place for larger groups of ppl, although i remember in its peak, lots of people would sit in front of the prep area bar table and eat, mostly couples. when we were there, the one lounge room was full of chinese 'salarymen' yelling and drinking their asahi/sapporo, felt like it was out of a japanese movie.

But the chefs are still straight up japanese and everything so that's always a plus when they're doing their biz and you hear them talking in japanese while working.

Mibz
03-27-2012, 09:20 AM
[Edit] Just looked at the Ubu website.. LOL I am think I am in the wrong demographic ahahaha. Hipster sushi?!? I went to the webpage after you said this. Asian Avant-Garde? Give me a fucking break.

And yeah, they put cream cheese on everything :(

ercchry
03-27-2012, 09:25 AM
trust me, the FISH is good. i dont eat rolls, rolls are like going for chinese and ordering ginger beef :rofl:

Tik-Tok
03-27-2012, 09:29 AM
trust me, the FISH is good. i dont eat rolls, rolls are like going for chinese and ordering ginger beef :rofl:

I never understand this mentality. Just like music, arts, etc. If everyone, everywhere, stuck to traditional, and never had any innovations, we'd be living in a pretty bland fucking world.

I understand if you prefer traditional, but to put down new styles just because it isn't the original, that's ridiculous. In fact, I'd call it hipster pretentious.

Mibz
03-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Unauthentic but delicious? :P

If it weren't downtown I'd try it today, haha.

ercchry
03-27-2012, 09:35 AM
dont get me wrong, rolls can be good. but when i go for SUSHI go go for the fish, not because something is pretty :rofl: but yes, Ubu does pretty, and rolls well also. but just because they come off as a straight up fusion/hipster place doesnt mean they dont have quality fish, ya know?

max_boost
03-27-2012, 10:35 AM
ercchry knows his fish. We shall stop this convo now. :poosie: :bigpimp:

max_boost
03-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Sushi Club in Kensington

Just thought I'd post up the baller's recommendation.

89coupe
03-27-2012, 10:44 AM
LOL eyes rolled as soon as I read "our usual spot is Kinjo".

Sushi Club trumps any other place in Calgary IMO.

This is Calgary though, not exactly the right city for good restaurants.

Tik-Tok
03-27-2012, 10:48 AM

I like it, but it isn't for connoisseurs. It's for "I want to stuff my face with sushi until it hurts". Good, but def. not top 5.

JRSC00LUDE
03-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Sushi Ginza was the first place I ever tried sushi, back around 1997/98.

A buddy and I were playing pool at Shanks and these guys wanted to challenge for cash....we were broke-ass punks so couldn't but we ended up playing for fun. We cleaned their clocks fairly well and as a result the one guy said "come see me for lunch tomorrow". We took him up on it since neither of us had ever had sushi. Buddy hooked us up with Sake and all sorts of stuff on the house, it was a cool story bro.

max_boost
03-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Sushi Ginza was the first place I ever tried sushi, back around 1997/98.

A buddy and I were playing pool at Shanks and these guys wanted to challenge for cash....we were broke-ass punks so couldn't but we ended up playing for fun. We cleaned their clocks fairly well and as a result the one guy said "come see me for lunch tomorrow". We took him up on it since neither of us had ever had sushi. Buddy hooked us up with Sake and all sorts of stuff on the house, it was a cool story bro.

Ginza had the best all you can eat lunch back in the day 01/02. $16 Sunday, a few of the Beyond OG's would hit it up and I mean hit it up. When you have ludelvr and buh_buh in the same place together, watch the eff out. Best was when we were fairly stuffed, the staff was probably thinking, thank fucking god and then those guys decided to order 25 pieces of spicy ebi's (whatever they are called) as a final nail in the coffin. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

clem24
03-27-2012, 11:21 AM

Sushi Club trumps any other place in Calgary IMO.

Hmm I dunno.. My friend who's an avid sushi'er said it was only so-so.

This is Calgary though, not exactly the right city for good restaurants.

100% agreed. With maybe a handful of exceptions, I always tell people that the best way to describe restaurants in Calgary is "mediocre and pricey", with the worst offenders being the ones in the core. The REALLY bad ones are the ones in the +15.

ercchry
03-27-2012, 11:24 AM

The REALLY bad ones are the ones in the +15.

mmm... random turkey sandwiches on regular old sliced bread with mayo... all for $15 :rofl:

TomcoPDR
03-27-2012, 10:57 PM

When you have ludelvr and buh_buh in the same place together, watch the eff out.

Is that why you've banned or kinda fade out Beyond hang out at Peking Peking buffet??? :cry:

Mibz
04-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Tried Li-Ao yesterday. Huge portions is right, holy shit. They gave me a free roll too.

Sushi was good. Not as good as Ginza, but the price reflected that.

ercchry
04-04-2012, 02:13 PM
^^only issue i had with it is they left the outer skin on the mackerel :barf:

TomcoPDR
12-28-2017, 04:45 PM
I'm afraid Izumi sushi (Tokyo Garden) changed for the worse. Over prices, over filling (previous reviews holds true, you're just stuffing your face), Mainlander China style services; you sit down never get asked what you want to drink till you wave, only time they're attentive is when they close kitchen after lunch 2-3pm and the waitress wants you to cash out their till; that's when they visited 3-4 times within a span of 5 mins.

It was oversize portions at all you can eat quality, with 89coupe affordability pricing $$$. Time to revisit Sushi Ginza's again, haven't been 3-4 years.

http://image.ibb.co/fySSsG/016e31b5dc318ca53a7022b55f950549e1279e16a2.jpg

ercchry
12-28-2017, 08:23 PM
Tried Li-Ao yesterday. Huge portions is right, holy shit. They gave me a free roll too.

Sushi was good. Not as good as Ginza, but the price reflected that.

Remember when this guy was still alive?!

He was supposed to go to a function on Tuesday and he did even show up to that...

TYMSMNY
12-28-2017, 11:04 PM
best place hands down in Calgary is Roku.

Deliissshhh.

Sushi Bar Maumi is my fav place in Vancouver. Oh man...

BigDL
01-02-2018, 03:00 PM
best place hands down in Calgary is Roku.

Deliissshhh.

Sushi Bar Maumi is my fav place in Vancouver. Oh man...

Sushi Bar Maumi so good, that reminds me I need to make reservations for when we head to Vancouver this summer.

Mitsu3000gt
01-02-2018, 03:28 PM
Any good places in the South since this thread started in 2012? Izumi on Southport road is fairly close but reviews online (and from Tomco) are very average.

I've been to SHO near Glenmore on McLeod quite a few times and it's been quite good, I've mostly only tried the rolls though. Reviews seem to hold up decently (4.2 google, 4.5 Trip Advisor).

ercchry
01-02-2018, 04:26 PM
SHO is alright for that whitewashed fusion/roll crowd... usually I keep expectations low outside of the inner city... usually more of a stuff your face experience vs quality... like going to A+ :rofl:

bleu
01-10-2018, 03:07 PM
I was at Ginza in WillowPark awhile ago and thought it was fine. They can sub in brown rice, which I prefer. I wouldn’t put too much stock into my opinion as I only eat California rolls and Ebi. :nut:

roopi
01-10-2018, 03:25 PM
Any good places in the South since this thread started in 2012? Izumi on Southport road is fairly close but reviews online (and from Tomco) are very average.

I've been to SHO near Glenmore on McLeod quite a few times and it's been quite good, I've mostly only tried the rolls though. Reviews seem to hold up decently (4.2 google, 4.5 Trip Advisor).

I've tried them all in the south and Ginza and SHO are the two best IMO.