PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Ads on Shaw

ga16i
03-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Lately the wife and I have been noticing Chinese TV ads while watching "regular" TV channels like 200 ABCHD. One was for Telus with Chinese text and another was for some home builder with Chinese text and sound. What is up with that? Does Shaw inject targeted ads for individuals now?? :dunno:

syritis
03-13-2012, 04:28 AM
They even do the news in mandarin now. I'm glad that providers are expanding but i fear this will lead to every ethnic group demanding their own language for news and the cultural segregation will get worse leading to more conflicts.

spikerS
03-13-2012, 06:48 AM
fuck, there is even hockey night in canada broadcast in punjabi now with their own hosts and such.

I still go :nut: every time I go past it on the tv guide.

I can't think of a sensitive way to say this, so I will just apologize in advance, but Hockey was the last sport I figured that a EI immigrating to Canada would pick up, I was expecting a surge in something like lacrosse or similar.

ExtraSlow
03-13-2012, 07:16 AM
If you want a good time, get yourself drunk, or high, or whatever, and watch the EI HNIC at a high volume. Hilarious.

Stealth22
03-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by spikers
fuck, there is even hockey night in canada broadcast in punjabi now with their own hosts and such.

I can't think of a sensitive way to say this, so I will just apologize in advance, but Hockey was the last sport I figured that a EI immigrating to Canada would pick up, I was expecting a surge in something like lacrosse or similar.

HOm-15621bs

clem24
03-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by syritis
They even do the news in mandarin now. I'm glad that providers are expanding but i fear this will lead to every ethnic group demanding their own language for news and the cultural segregation will get worse leading to more conflicts.

LOL umm... You realize they already have news in many languages on their own channels right? :banghead:

TomcoPDR
03-13-2012, 10:35 AM

At least free market enterprise is better than government funded programs... Not enough customers/demand = closure... And ethnic television has been around Calgary for the past 20+ years, I remember tuning into the punjab share of the hour in between commercials of my Saturday morning cartoons. That was boardcasted on the old Access television station, can't think of the name now...

OP, if you and the wifey are super chinky, check this out... http://www.tvworld.ca/ a friend told me $350 bucks for 10 years... I can't read the site, they have partial Chinese but no complete Engrish of the site. Fuckin' frustrating, how can I be their customer if I can't even read their services avaliable.

Edit: ^^ I actually just hit the google's translate button... so afaik, that site is all Chinese, no English version. How am I suppose to purchase???

clem24
03-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Hey man if you can't read, then you're obviously not their target market ahahaha.

It's like going into a Chinese restaurant and they have 2 different menus. One with English meant for whiteys and one with only Chinese that is completely different from the all-English menu. It's stupid cause I don't want to order the whitey stuff but can't read the Chinese one! FML.

Maybelater
03-13-2012, 02:06 PM

I agree a bit. But it isn't like their children are going to grow up thinking the same way and watching only Chinese news stations.

Chester
03-13-2012, 02:27 PM

They've had this for years.

R!zz0
03-13-2012, 03:49 PM
HNIC in punjabi is hilarious :rofl:

JfuckinC
03-13-2012, 03:57 PM

why would they pick up lacrosse, not even white people want to play lacrosse :rofl: (i played)

Xtrema
03-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

At least free market enterprise is better than government funded programs... Not enough customers/demand = closure... And ethnic television has been around Calgary for the past 20+ years, I remember tuning into the punjab share of the hour in between commercials of my Saturday morning cartoons. That was boardcasted on the old Access television station, can't think of the name now...

OP, if you and the wifey are super chinky, check this out... http://www.tvworld.ca/ a friend told me $350 bucks for 10 years... I can't read the site, they have partial Chinese but no complete Engrish of the site. Fuckin' frustrating, how can I be their customer if I can't even read their services avaliable.

Edit: ^^ I actually just hit the google's translate button... so afaik, that site is all Chinese, no English version. How am I suppose to purchase???

Tvworld.CA looks suspicious.

I can understand streaming Asian channels but English and Hollywood movies too? Is just begging to be sued.

TomcoPDR
03-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by clem24
It's stupid cause I don't want to order the whitey stuff but can't read the Chinese one! FML.

Eastern Fortune comes to mind, and their crazy Chinese hand writing on the wall poster...

ga16i
03-14-2012, 06:56 AM
hmm... tvworld.ca eh... it does seem a bit suspicious. Don't think I'd commit to anything for 10 years though.

Anyway, is anyone else seeing ethnic ads on non-ethnic channels? I was just wondering if Shaw had started to profile its customers and serving up individualized ads. Kinda like adwords content network, but for TV. :dunno:

clem24
03-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Yeah I highly doubt tvworld.ca will around for long. Most definitely sketchy.