PDA

View Full Version : Painting valve cover: Any tips/advice?

Hollywood
02-01-2004, 01:03 PM
I was thinking about powdercoating as the easy way out, but I thought to save some money and make a project out of it I would like to paint it my self. I was also thinking it would be nice if it had a textured paint, maybe as a sub layer then the color on top.

Also I'm not sure what the best clear coat I can get in a can, and what the best way to get a strong clear coat?

Thanks.

illeagle
02-01-2004, 01:16 PM
high temp clear coat from crappy tire, they're pretty thick. As for texture, i have a can of texture coat if you wanna try that out, it's made by 3M.. , you spray on the texture, then your color, then the clear... Make sure it's really clean and do light coats... good luck!

EK 2.0
02-01-2004, 01:18 PM
PM Ninspeed, he just did one on a Civic and it looks sweet...

Hollywood
02-01-2004, 01:20 PM
what grit sand paper do I prime it?

vince_by_design
02-01-2004, 07:25 PM
im sure it will cost you almost as much to do it yourself "with good products" then to get it powder coated. i know that TOP GUN COATINGS does it for only $30.00 "is what they qutoed me".

just thought id let ya know. :)

Hollywood
02-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by vince_by_design
im sure it will cost you almost as much to do it yourself "with good products" then to get it powder coated. i know that TOP GUN COATINGS does it for only $30.00 "is what they qutoed me".

just thought id let ya know. :)

Oh really? Maybe I should try them. Quotes I got was 80.00 for as many peices.

rice_eater
02-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood
I was thinking about powdercoating as the easy way out, but I thought to save some money and make a project out of it I would like to paint it my self. I was also thinking it would be nice if it had a textured paint, maybe as a sub layer then the color on top.

Also I'm not sure what the best clear coat I can get in a can, and what the best way to get a strong clear coat?

Thanks.

i just got some hight temp paint from crappy tire too...just clean the oil off it real good (dish soap works great) and spray a couple coats...done

SpoonEK9@STRD
02-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

Oh really? Maybe I should try them. Quotes I got was 80.00 for as many peices.

nope not 30, because its a valve cover they have to strip some shit out of it, remove oil and shit... it ends up being about 60 dollars at top gun.

Hollywood
02-02-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater

i just got some hight temp paint from crappy tire too...just clean the oil off it real good (dish soap works great) and spray a couple coats...done

I want it to look good. A few coats of crappy tire paint is not the finish I was going for.

Originally posted by SpoonEK9

nope not 30, because its a valve cover they have to strip some shit out of it, remove oil and shit... it ends up being about 60 dollars at top gun.

That sounds more like the costs.

ls/vtec-crx
02-02-2004, 12:23 AM
i would definately suggest to use a glossy paint if you are looking for a nice shine when it's done. I would also suggest not to use clear coat afterwards because that will usaully make the paint crack after time. to take off original paint use paint eater from canadian tire it works the best. spray it on let sit for like ten minutes then use a high pressure water sprayer and you will be left with a bare valve cover no need to sand off old paint. dry it off and clean it very well so there is no oil residue and you are ready to paint.

Boost Infested
02-02-2004, 01:12 AM
its cheap to powder coat. i had my valve cover coated candy color(silver base then trans red) for only $50, they do all the work. just bring your valvecover in. Top Gun coating. after you get it back just sand the top of all the letters off. use a block wrapped with sandpaper.

too much work to paint it yourself, plus powder coat is way more durable.

Hollywood
02-02-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by ls/vtec-crx
i would definately suggest to use a glossy paint if you are looking for a nice shine when it's done. I would also suggest not to use clear coat afterwards because that will usaully make the paint crack after time. to take off original paint use paint eater from canadian tire it works the best. spray it on let sit for like ten minutes then use a high pressure water sprayer and you will be left with a bare valve cover no need to sand off old paint. dry it off and clean it very well so there is no oil residue and you are ready to paint.

Thanks, ya sounds way better than sanding.

Originally posted by Boost Infested
its cheap to powder coat. i had my valve cover coated candy color(silver base then trans red) for only $50, they do all the work. just bring your valvecover in. Top Gun coating. after you get it back just sand the top of all the letters off. use a block wrapped with sandpaper.

too much work to paint it yourself, plus powder coat is way more durable.

Send me or post a pic man!

LUDELVR
02-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by ls/vtec-crx

How would that shit work on rims? I want to take off the paint on some rims, but I don't want to damage the finish under it.

T5_X
02-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Do NOT use the crappy tire stuff! If you're frequently wrenching under your hood it just takes a slight nick to scrape the paint off. I painted the valve cover on my daytona and after some work on the fuel injection behind the cover, the paint job looks like ass. Get it powdercoated.

ninspeed
02-02-2004, 06:02 PM
PC is much better man... alot stronger... but if ya want cheep...
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34996...
pretty glossy with out clear coat...

Boost Infested
02-02-2004, 11:49 PM
sorry i dont have close ups. i had the red one done about 4 years ago and it was cheap! $40 for the intake, and $30 for the valvecover. the blue one was a little more, i guess they werent making enough.

http://members.shaw.ca/Boost-f/engine6.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/Boost-f/Jack5.jpg

chamafi
02-03-2004, 03:18 PM
duplicolor makes a high temp paint that gets rock hard and has a major hi gloss finish and they have a clear to top it that works great i used it on an exhaust manifold and it had the look of a powder coat finish