PDA

View Full Version : Earthlings documentary

Seth1968
03-15-2012, 09:25 AM
This is the only doc/film that almost made me look away on a few clips.

EARTHLINGS is a feature length documentary about humanity’s absolute dependence on animals (for pets, food, clothing, entertainment, and scientific research) but also illustrates our complete disrespect for these so-called “non-human providers.” EARTHLINGS is a powerful and informative documentary about society’s treatment of animals, narrated by Joaquin Phoenix with soundtrack by Moby. This multi-award winning film by Nation Earth is a must-see for anyone who cares about animals or wishes to make the world a better place. Using hidden cameras and never-before-seen footage, EARTHLINGS chronicles the day-to-day practices of the largest industries in the world, all of which rely entirely on animals for profit.

http://www.documentarywire.com/earthlings

sputnik
03-15-2012, 09:44 AM
I am sure that this documentary will be completely unbiased.

:rolleyes:

Seth1968
03-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
I am sure that this documentary will be completely unbiased.

:rolleyes:

Of course it is, but believe me, it's well worth the watch.

sputnik
03-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968

Of course it is, but believe me, it's well worth the watch.

How is it different than any other doc that shows exceptional and gut wrenching hidden camera footage of puppy mills and slaughterhouses and then ties it in with a heart wrenching plea for humanity to consider the rights of animals and global warming.

Do they have a spin that is unique? Or is it just the same beaten down argument over and over again.

I have been to slaughter houses and have processed animals with my own hands and it hasn't changed my thoughts regarding eating meat or using animal based products.

Do I think that society change farming methods to be more natural and humane and less industrial? Yes.

Does that start with becoming a vegan? No.

BigMass
03-15-2012, 10:47 AM

Does that start with becoming a vegan? No.

I don’t need to watch a video about how animals are treated to become vegan. Seeing how meet is processed into different foods is enough to turn anyone into a vegan. Sickest shit ever and makes me want to throw up thinking about it. And I’m not talking about some butcher taking a cow and cutting it up. I’m talking about these factories and their special sauces/chemicals, mixtures and creative products they come out with to put into our food chain.

Seth1968
03-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Sputnik,

I don't disagree with your position, but the point of the doc goes well beyond animal welfare.

How about you watch it?

sputnik
03-15-2012, 11:22 AM
What if I don't believe in "animal welfare" to the same degree as others do?

I believe that humans are primary creatures and everything else is secondary. To me it makes no difference to me morally if I throw a chicken or a potato in a pot of boiling water. They are both living creatures. Why should I treat them differently based on their biology?

That said, I believe we have to be responsible in taking care of our planet and I do not believe in the over consumption of products if it degrades our environment, animal counts or our health (i.e. use of steroids/antibiotics/fillers in meat). I certainly am not in support of polluting feed lots and processing plants, nor I am in favour of puppy mills and dog breeders. I am also no fan of shark fin soup for obvious reasons.

The problem with these films is that they take a very extreme position and couple it with some very extreme cases/footage of abuse and neglect (both for the animals and the planet) and then conclude that we must stop everything to fix the problem. When in reality if you watch documentaries (like Food Inc) with guys like Mark Bittman or Michael Pollan they preach responsibility, sustainability, stewardship and health.

Anyone who believes that everything is black or white is generally not worth paying attention to.

sputnik
03-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Started watching the film.

7:15 - Comparing meat eaters to Nazis. An that killing animals is just like the Holocaust and that we are racist if we think that pigs are under us.

Can you say hyperbole?

A790
03-15-2012, 11:51 AM

7:15 - Comparing meat eaters to Nazis. An that killing animals is just like the Holocaust and that we are racist if we think that pigs are under us.

Can you say hyperbole?
That'd be where I stopped watching.

Humans > Animals, at least in regards to the food chain.

GTS4tw
03-15-2012, 12:00 PM

Can you say hyperbole?

Thanks for posting so I dont have to waste my time watching this crap.

Tik-Tok
03-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Lol. I had to watch that part. It's a quote from a fictional novel about a schizophrenic holocaust survivalist.

"As often as Herman had witnessed the slaughter of animals and fish, he always had the same thought: in their behaviour toward creatures, all men were Nazis. The smugness with which man could do with other species as he pleased exemplified the most extreme racist theories, the principle that might is right. "

Soooo the food chain doesn't mean anything? Just because we're on top, doesn't mean every other carnivore/omnivore species out there isn't "racist" against the species it eats, lol.

Kg810
03-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Let's start the Invisible Animal NPO and a Meateaters 2012 campaign. We will Stop Meateaters and we will do it by creating a manipulative viral video that toys with people's emotions and we will use indie and dubstep tracks to target hipsters. We will ask people to Cover The Night by plastering their city with Meateaters 2012 posters that they will have to buy from us and we will also sell Meateaters 2012 Action Kits (t-shirts, bracelet, guide, stickers, buttons, posters).

;) :nut:

elite
03-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Is it bad that I was craving a burger after watching this?