PDA

View Full Version : Who has the right of way on a freeway merge?

CanmoreOrLess
03-15-2012, 01:57 PM
I at one time thought it was the car merging, now I am confused as to who has the ROW 100%. Even offered a bet to a friend regarding this topic, good thing he did not take it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/car-life/auto-therapy/who-has-the-right-of-way-on-a-freeway-merge/article2368019/

kenny
03-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Should be equal rights as with all merges.

sr20s14zenki
03-15-2012, 02:04 PM
I was always taught the same, that it is both you and the freeway drivers responsibility to negotiate a merge. That being said, you are supposed to be merging at hiway speed, and that is something i rarely see in this city...half the time people are merging at 60-80, scared shitless, which is absolute bullshit. Where are the tickets for that? Its just as unsafe as speeding IMO.

Funny story from that, i was merging from the crossfield overpass onto qe2 southbound a month ago, starting my daily trek to work. As im coming down the ramp, i notice a hummer in the right lane. Him and myself were the only two people on the road at the time. Turns out he was the biggest prick on the road too. Would he move over to let me merge? not a chance, in fact when i tryed to force my way in anyways, because it was either that, or ditch, he moved over half a lane, and then back in front of me. In order to adjust my speed to merge with this asshole, i would have either had to merge at 60 to get behind him, or 130 to get in front of him. What ever happened to common courtesy on the road? I always move over if possible to let people in....i just dont get it. Its a ME ME ME society these days. I would expect one would move over, before forcing somebody to merge at unreasonable speeds, high or low.

Kloubek
03-15-2012, 02:07 PM
I've always drove with the expectation that *I* have the right of way, and those merging in are expected to do so when it is safe. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case; you have those who believe it is *your* responsibility to make room for them.

There are also those who may or may not believe this, but decide to push their way in without signalling or anything. That drives me nuts to no end.

I'll almost always try to ensure the merger has ample room to do so. If they have their signal on, I'll do everything I can. But when those assholes push their way in even though there is clearly not enough room... AND don't use a signal? ARRRGGG...

/rant

kenny
03-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Unfortunately, that isn't always the case; you have those who believe it is *your* responsibility to make room for them.

/rant

That's because it *IS* your responsibility to make room for merging traffic. Of course, it is also the responsibility of the merging traffic to merge in safely by getting up to speed.

Feruk
03-15-2012, 02:15 PM
I think the rule is the guy merging in should merge in front of the guy already in the lane (who should slow down if required). Not positive. :dunno: But really, it's whatever makes the most sense.

Mibz
03-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by kenny

That's because it *IS* your responsibility to make room for merging traffic. Of course, it is also the responsibility of the merging traffic to merge in safely by getting up to speed. This right here. If there's somebody in front of you trying to merge in and there isn't enough room it's because you haven't given them enough room.

syritis
03-15-2012, 02:25 PM
FUCK THAT. if traffic is flowing freely I'm not stepping on the brakes to let someone in who NEEDS the 10ft i'm occupying, if you can't marge in front or behind me then maybe you should park your car on the side of the road.
however If i can move over to the other lane i will do that. but there is no reason to slow down free flowing traffic for some twit that cant figure out how to accelerate and think at the same time.

but in rush hour when traffic is already slowed down then yes, make room for merging traffic to alternate in.

Abeo
03-15-2012, 02:26 PM
What I learned: you change lanes, you have to make sure your lane change is safe and you aren't cutting someone odd. Period. Applies to on-ramps as much as changing lanes on the highway. That said, I adjust my speed to leave a gap for traffic to seamlessly enter. If someone turns on their blinker when they are beside me, though, they have to move, not me.

One thing about that article, is its from Ontario, where they have standardized and generous onramps. They don't have short merge lanes with a yield sign like here.

Mibz
03-15-2012, 02:27 PM
If you have to step on the brakes in order for there to be an opening then, odds are, you're too close to the person in front of you.

EDIT: In related news, a guy I know recently failed his Ontario driving test because he merged onto a 100 road at 80. There was no traffic but it was still an instant fail. I get the feeling the same thing wouldn't happen here, but I wish it did.

kenny
03-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by syritis
FUCK THAT. I'm not stepping on the brakes to let someone in who should have been planning their merge since they saw the road.

As long as you're prepared to take 50% of the fault if they slam into you, then continue driving this way. Remember, its equal rights of way, and the road is not yours to "let someone in".

Explanation of responsibilities:
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2005.htm

make a note of this line:

the traffic on the main roadway must cooperate to allow enough space for vehicles to enter from the merging lane

dannie
03-15-2012, 02:34 PM
edit: nevermind... found it on ab transportation: Neither vehicle has right of way

http://www.shawnessyregistry.com/forms/Basicdrivershandbook2010.pdf

Page 89 for merging

second edit: Kenny beat me to it....

clem24
03-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Both motorists have equal rights. They was prominently displayed by CPS on those electronic billboards at merge lanes during a year of merge lane education blitz. Anyone recall these? The first sign would always say: "Did you merge correctly?" and then something like "Leave a gap" and the last sign was always "Both motorists have equal rights".

That said, too many people have no clue how to merge. Here are my observations:

- Non-confident drivers brake in the merge lane when they should be accelerating. Then they cause chaos for everyone. I have no issues honking people that either slow down to a crawl or stop. Someone has to tell them they're doing something wrong. You brake in a yield, and accelerate in a merge. Enough said. I recall my drivers' ed days, I was accelerating lightly to merge onto highway 1 from 22, and my instructor, who was an elderly lady, was like, "uh uh, floor the gas pedal or you won't have enough speed". God bless that little lady! So many things she's said to me have stuck.

- People on the freeway/main road) don't leave a gap between them and the car in front. I find 85% of the people that do this are women for some strange reason. They just don't feel they should let you in.

- People in the merge lane *also* need to leave a gap between them and the car in front. This is only way to smoothly merge into a busy roadway. So many people in the merging lane forget this and just tail the car in front, thus have no room when it comes time to merge.

- Then there's the non-confident morons who have no idea their cars have mirrors and cannot judge the size of their car on the roadway and even when there's a big enough gap on the road for them to merge in, they hesitate.

- Then there are the chest thumpers and egomaniacs like sr20s14zenki. Dude, there's ONE car on the road. Get in BEHIND him not in front. Clearly you're as big of an asshole as the Hummer.

Another thing I always like to do is is traffic is heavy, I always like to give a courtesy wave of appreciation if the driver on the main road left a gap, even if I am not obligated to do so.

GQBalla
03-15-2012, 02:37 PM
i think its an instant fail here is speeding over 15 km?

not sure though but i do remember a instant fail for speeding

from what i always thought is if im going straight and at the speed limit i have the right away?

CapnCrunch
03-15-2012, 02:37 PM
If the person merging is up to speed, I always make room for them. However, I have never in my life seen this happen.

Feruk
03-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Abeo
What I learned: you change lanes, you have to make sure your lane change is safe and you aren't cutting someone odd. Period.
That's what I always do. :thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
03-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Its a ME ME ME society these days.

Yeap. It sure is. :rofl:

AE92_TreunoSC
03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
You shouldn't drive in the right lane if you aren't prepared to let merging traffic in. It's 50/50 and I will happily force my way in front of any of you assholes who think I should yield to you.

dansmith11
03-15-2012, 03:02 PM
really? this is a question? no wonder merging is such a gong show in this city.

haha. if only there was another type of traffic control sign that indicated which driver has to yield the right of way.

that way we could use the merge sign when both parties have equal responsibility and then we could use this other magic sign in situations where the car on the freeway has the right of way and the guy entering has to yield said right of way. hmmmm if only there was such a thing!

kenny
03-15-2012, 03:06 PM
^^ :rofl:

sr20s14zenki
03-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by clem24

- Then there are the chest thumpers and egomaniacs like sr20s14zenki. Dude, there's ONE car on the road. Get in BEHIND him not in front. Clearly you're as big of an asshole as the Hummer.

Sorry, i guess i didnt do a good job explaining it...it really is hard to explain. I dont think i did anything wrong. Im hardly a chest thumper....i have been merging onto that spot for about 15 years now, and have had a problem maybe twice..once was a semi truck with a b-train, and there were once again no other cars on the road, and the hummer. I literally would have had to slow to like 60 to get behind him. I dont like making a habit of that, because if thats the case, what happens if theres somebody behind him maybe a ways back, that i make slam on his brakes because i merged at 60 because the hummer wouldnt let me in.

Im a very curtious driver, from moving over when somebody comes up behind me, to moving over when people want to merge and theres no room.

Bottom line, is people need to be more observant and have more courtesy for other people on the road. we all pay for it, lets share it.

Im hadly an egomaniac either.

Tik-Tok
03-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by dansmith11
really? this is a question? no wonder merging is such a gong show in this city.

haha. if only there was another type of traffic control sign that indicated which driver has to yield the right of way.

that way we could use the merge sign when both parties have equal responsibility and then we could use this other magic sign in situations where the car on the freeway has the right of way and the guy entering has to yield said right of way. hmmmm if only there was such a thing!

On that note... I'm sure most people are aware of Southbound Deerfoot onto Eastbound McKnight... you know, where the people going onto deerfoot have the magic "Yield" sign that 90% of drivers completely ignore, and completely fuck up people trying to get onto East Mcknight?

Yesterday I was behind a CPS, and he was behind someone who was completely ignoring the sign, and forced the guy trying to get onto Mcknight to slam on his brakes...

I thought "Awesome, finally some assholes going to get busted for doing that!!!"

Nope. Cop didn't give a fuck. Guess there isn't enough money in a "did not yield" ticket. :facepalm:

JudasJimmy
03-15-2012, 03:30 PM
I'll pace myself with the merging traffic so things flow smoothly.... but I won't pace myself for a single car that feels it their right to merge at 80% hiway speed. Those people are usually negotiating a spot behind you, and it would just cause confusion and traffic jam up if you try to yield, or "let them in" I don't understand why it so difficult to merge at hiway speed, or at the same speed as traffic flow.

Affinityion
03-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
You shouldn't drive in the right lane if you aren't prepared to let merging traffic in. It's 50/50 and I will happily force my way in front of any of you assholes who think I should yield to you.

This. The number of times I've had to force my way in having to go 10-20 over the limit is ridiculous. Either the driver is completely oblivious that there's a freaking merge lane next to him or they're a complete prick.

SJW
03-15-2012, 03:47 PM
“As you leave the ramp, you enter the acceleration lane. In the acceleration lane, drivers increase their speed to the speed of traffic on the freeway before they merge with it. Signal and increase your speed to merge smoothly with traffic. Freeway drivers should move over, if it is safe to do so, leaving room for merging vehicles.”

people should do more of this.

Mista Bob
03-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Driving in Quebec, one interesting thing I noticed... everyone knows how to merge. Every single time people on both sides knew exactly what to do.
Merges were always quick and effortless for everyone.
All this despite the fact that the merge lanes were mostly all a small fraction in length of what we have here.

Even crazier, the left lane on highways was used solely for passing. Such a beautiful sight seeing an empty left lane on a busy highway.
Don't think I've ever seen that in Calgary. :rofl:

dannie
03-15-2012, 03:57 PM
I asked a Crown Prosecutor friend of mine and his words, word for word are:

"Any vehicle that does not need to change lane to complete a maneuver is not at fault. The rest is common courtesy."

Take that as you will

Eleanor
03-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
If you have to step on the brakes in order for there to be an opening then, odds are, you're too close to the person in front of you. This, if you're on a freeway, you should be leaving more than enough gap for another vehicle to get in front of you.

That being said, nothing frustrates me more than slowing down to let someone in front of you and they think they're driving a semi and need 100 ft of clearance to safely merge.

CanmoreOrLess
03-15-2012, 04:54 PM
I recall my uncle saying, "In Calgary, just drive in the middle lane and you do not need to worry about anything". Might be the best thing overall if one can do it.

I try and get in the middle lane when coming up to a major merge area, knowing full well there will be vehicles merging. Add to the scene anyone with out of province plates, as they will be reacting at the last minute. Calgary has the worst signs of anyplace I have been in NA, they are too small, too late and too vague. An out-of-tower has no hope, never mind Miss Daisy.

89s1
03-15-2012, 04:54 PM
You shouldn't drive in the right lane if you aren't prepared to let merging traffic in.

Exactly, and you shouldn't drive in the left lane unless you've got the balls to keep up with the flow of traffic.

So, we've determined if you can't keep up with traffic, and can't merge in or out... I guess you have no lanes to drive in and should just stay the fuck home

Maxt
03-15-2012, 08:00 PM
This irks me to no end, driving a 10,000 lb one ton truck daily...
It never fails some jackass will come down a merge lane, and proceed to pull in front of me going slower than the traffic flow.. Hit brakes, they slowly speed up to flow, about 8 blocks after they merge. Even when i am the last vehicle in the pack, there is some weird need for people to get in front, no matter how dangerous or illogical it is..
99.9% of the time, one can merge without inconveniencing anyone, if you are paying attention to the traffic you are to merge with. Sadly 99.9% of the people simply don't pay that much attention..

revelations
03-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by JudasJimmy
a single car that feels it their right to merge at 80% hiway speed.

this
is
the biggest
pissoff
on the DF

B20EF
03-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
If you have to step on the brakes in order for there to be an opening then, odds are, you're too close to the person in front of you.

EDIT: In related news, a guy I know recently failed his Ontario driving test because he merged onto a 100 road at 80. There was no traffic but it was still an instant fail. I get the feeling the same thing wouldn't happen here, but I wish it did.

Thats extremely controversial. The law says its maximum 100km/h not mandatory 100km/h. If there is no traffic to flow with I cant see a real problem with it. Pretty sure the rule book says you must go with flow of traffic.

bart
03-16-2012, 10:47 PM
merge is 50/50

i always push it to the end the other driver eventually backs down and changes lanes behind me, no matter if i'm merging or de-merging haha

but i especially like those drivers who stop on the merge :thumbsup:

johnboy27
03-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Affinityion

This. The number of times I've had to force my way in having to go 10-20 over the limit is ridiculous. Either the driver is completely oblivious that there's a freaking merge lane next to him or they're a complete prick.
Chances are that you probably could have slowed down just slightly and taken the spot right behind the guy you felt the need to get in front of. I will move over if it is safe to do so but there is no way I am going to slow down to make sure some moron coming down the merge lane can get in front of me. I allow enough room in front of me and behind me that of the person coming down the merge lane isn't a complete fucking moron they should have no problem putting thereself in one of those two spots. If they can't and decide to try to squeeze in I guess that's a problem. I don't seem to have any problem pacing the highway travelling cars while I am coming down merge lanes.

schocker
03-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by revelations

this
is
the biggest
pissoff
on the DF
Well every morning on stoney, the people who are continuing to shaghanappi feel it is there right to putter along at 50-60 then you have to try to swing around them and merge into traffic doing 100+ :rofl:

Mibz
03-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by B20EF
Thats extremely controversial. The law says its maximum 100km/h not mandatory 100km/h. If there is no traffic to flow with I cant see a real problem with it. Pretty sure the rule book says you must go with flow of traffic. I understand what you're saying, but that's a slippery slope. Why couldn't he merge in at 60 then? 40? I would much rather get somebody in the habit of merging at the speed limit and then adjusting for traffic from there. Maybe that's just me.

Isaiah
03-17-2012, 10:15 AM
I do a fair amount of driving and haven't had many issues merging over the past 20 years. If you are expecting a problem you will perceive a problem. Reminds me a bit of that thread regarding people carrying knives; some users were posting that it's dangerous out there and you need a knife for safety. Come on.

Relax and adapt. If the flow of traffic doesn't fit your ideal conditions, then slow down, speed up, or change lanes. Everyone thinks they're the world's best driver. Consider this: if you get upset with someone else's driving and react aggressively, you just became a worse driver than them.

Hakkola
03-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Some people here clearly have yet to learn the difference between a merge and a yield sign.

I usually merge at a speed faster than traffic, never had a problem getting in.

alloroc
03-17-2012, 02:21 PM
I think it is pretty simple ...

someone cue cuts on your right you let them in by changing into the left lane, then you pass them on the left (mirror signal to the right shoulder check to the right) and change lanes back in front of them.

For some strange reason that I cannot figure out is they always seem so upset to make room for me even though I made room for them.

:dunno: http://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/emotion/emotion_137.gif

403Gemini
03-17-2012, 02:53 PM
I love being in the merge lane, picking up speed (even a bit faster) to get onto the main road, and I see the guy in the lane i'm trying to merge into start to speed up :facepalm:

I fucking cant stand people like that.

This thread delivers on showing who the bad drivers on beyond are ;)

If I am on the main road next to merging traffic I will go the speed limit and if I see somebody picking up speed I lightly apply my brake (going down to maybe 70 on an 80) to give them that extra bit of room so they are 100% fine to get in. If i am going 80 and I see them hit their brakes or creep along, i accelerate to about 90-95 to make sure they have ample room behind me.

Only time I ever really accelerate though is if they are CLEARLY going about half the speed limit.... and being stuck behind them on a merge is the worst thing in the world because you're at the mercy of these dumbasses and the kindness of the people in the lane you're trying to get into.

Danny Meehan
03-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Both parties are responsible for safe merging
Equal blame is placed on both drivers in case of an accident

m10-power
03-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Lol how did some of you get your licenses

Oh yes that's right there really isn't a proper test...

GQBalla
03-17-2012, 04:37 PM
i like it when people turn the yield from 14th st to memorial into a merge.

then they get mad at you and decide to high beam you all the way down memorial.

OR

the best is when you stay at the speed limit 50 km/h than they yield merge onto memorial from 14th and get in front of you because they were speeding THAN getting a photo radar ticket. Sometimes after they see the flash they decide to slam on their brakes to slow their vehicle beneath 50....like that is going to do you some good!

Mar
03-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Funny story from that, i was merging from the crossfield overpass onto qe2 southbound a month ago, starting my daily trek to work. As im coming down the ramp, i notice a hummer in the right lane. Him and myself were the only two people on the road at the time. Turns out he was the biggest prick on the road too. Would he move over to let me merge? not a chance, in fact when i tryed to force my way in anyways, because it was either that, or ditch, he moved over half a lane, and then back in front of me. In order to adjust my speed to merge with this asshole, i would have either had to merge at 60 to get behind him, or 130 to get in front of him. What ever happened to common courtesy on the road? I always move over if possible to let people in....i just dont get it. Its a ME ME ME society these days. I would expect one would move over, before forcing somebody to merge at unreasonable speeds, high or low.
Let me get this straight. There was only one other vehicle on the road and you somehow managed to drive directly along side of him when you knew you had to merge? You can't drive.

I'll almost always try to ensure the merger has ample room to do so. If they have their signal on, I'll do everything I can. But when those assholes push their way in even though there is clearly not enough room... AND don't use a signal? ARRRGGG...

/rant
You shouldn't do anything for 2 reasons.
a) It teaches people how to merge properly.
b) The guy merging has to change his speed/position in order to merge and if he speeds/slows to get into the right spot and you do the same, you're just getting in his (my) way. Maintain speed and don't disrupt the flow of traffic, that way the merger can do what they need to get in.

Originally posted by kenny
That's because it *IS* your responsibility to make room for merging traffic. Of course, it is also the responsibility of the merging traffic to merge in safely by getting up to speed.
Maybe (I'm not sure) but the problem here is the guy will merge left to make room and get in my way in the left lane as well as the 10 people behind me. So that's nice, you just disrupted the flow of traffic for 10 people to let one person in. When it comes to this, let that 1 guy learn how to merge, there are more people on the road that need to continue at a constant speed.

Originally posted by Feruk
I think the rule is the guy merging in should merge in front of the guy already in the lane (who should slow down if required). Not positive. :dunno: But really, it's whatever makes the most sense.
NO NO NO! Nobody should ever hit the brakes on Deerfoot.....ever. Maintain a constant speed so people behind you don't have to slow down and don't follow too closely to the car in front of you. If there is enough room in front of you to merge and you keep a constant speed, the guy merging has loads of room and opportunity to get into it. It's not your responsibility to help the handicapped. Ever wonder why Deerfoot slows down to a crawl during rush hour? It's because of your advice, you should never brake on the highway. It causes a ripple effect all the way back through traffic causing 50 other people to hit the brakes. Please the masses, that one guy isn't as important as 50 other drivers already on the road.

Originally posted by syritis
FUCK THAT. if traffic is flowing freely I'm not stepping on the brakes to let someone in who NEEDS the 10ft i'm occupying, if you can't marge in front or behind me then maybe you should park your car on the side of the road.
however If i can move over to the other lane i will do that. but there is no reason to slow down free flowing traffic for some twit that cant figure out how to accelerate and think at the same time.

but in rush hour when traffic is already slowed down then yes, make room for merging traffic to alternate in.
This is exactly what I'm saying, in rush hour of course, traffic is fucked already, but in free flowing traffic where there is suitable room between you and the next car, maintain speed, don't hit the brakes.

You shouldn't yield, you should learn how to drive. Don't fly down a merge lane, then get to the end and decide it's time to see if someone is next to you. First check the sign to see if it's a continuous lane or a merge lane, then react accordingly. If it's a merge lane, look back on the highway to make sure you're lining yourself up with a suitable gap and not another vehicle, that way when you get up to speed and are able to merge, there is a space next to you. I've had way too many people start to merge at the end of a merge lane and then finally realize I'm right next to them. At that point you're way too late.

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
I recall my uncle saying, "In Calgary, just drive in the middle lane and you do not need to worry about anything". Might be the best thing overall if one can do it.

I try and get in the middle lane when coming up to a major merge area, knowing full well there will be vehicles merging. Add to the scene anyone with out of province plates, as they will be reacting at the last minute. Calgary has the worst signs of anyplace I have been in NA, they are too small, too late and too vague. An out-of-tower has no hope, never mind Miss Daisy.
That's horrible advice, the middle lane is for people passing the right lane, it's not a convenience lane. The reason we have so many people cruising along slowly in the left lane in Calgary is because everyone else is using up the middle lane and they can't get over. If more people used the right lane instead of the middle, it would free up the middle lane for these people, they'd move over and we could use the left lane as a passing lane like it's supposed to be. There are many, many times I've been doing 90 on Deerfoot behind some guy that should move to the right but can't because someone's in the middle lane. And NOBODY in the right lane.

I'm not exactly sure what the law is but if I'm driving along at 110 minding my own business and someone comes next to me trying to merge and I have 100 feet in front/behind me, they've already totally failed at their job. They should be looking more in advance to pick their spot instead of trying to get the one lonely car to move. Especially if there are cars behind me depending on me to keep the flow of traffic and not to hit the brakes causing the entire road to slow down. Rush hour traffic jams would be a thing of the past.

AE92_TreunoSC
03-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Wall of mar

Apparently I don't know how to drive according to you.

Do you force old women into the ditch because they take too long to get their Tercels up to speed while merging?

Are school buses a burden for you when taking off ramps at less than suggested speed?

I can't stand self-righteous assholes like you, who seem to feel the need to punish those who cannot keep up to their own standards of driving . You've more than shown what kind of driver you are to me in that huge post. :rolleyes:

BMDUBS
03-17-2012, 06:31 PM
^ Fuck that! Mar has it right on all his points. Too many idiotic, moronic drivers out there that can not adapt to the traffic and road conditions. I am not going to be inconvenienced for someone elses lack of skill. Call me an asshole if you want but if everyone would pay more attention to what they are doing traffic would flow a lot smoother.

As it was stated, if you're on the highway and you have to brake because some idiot did not utilize the merge lane to adapt to the speed of the thru traffic, a stream of brake lights are going to be the result. One idiot that doesnt understand how to merge or fails to speed up will screw the flow of traffic for many. I say fuck that moron and force him into the shoulder. "Maybe" he will wake up and realize why he/she didnt make it into the flow of traffic.

Mar
03-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Wow......I wouldn't force anyone in the ditch and I definitely would not try and get in anyone's way. I just wouldn't hit the brakes and slow down everyone behind me for one other person when I've left them lots of room in front of me. :dunno: Seems logical.

johnboy27
03-18-2012, 01:28 AM

Apparently I don't know how to drive according to you.

Do you force old women into the ditch because they take too long to get their Tercels up to speed while merging?

Are school buses a burden for you when taking off ramps at less than suggested speed?

I can't stand self-righteous assholes like you, who seem to feel the need to punish those who cannot keep up to their own standards of driving . You've more than shown what kind of driver you are to me in that huge post. :rolleyes:
So he is a self-righteous asshole but you aren't? Look at the quote of your that he posted, seems you are no different.
I have to agree completely with mar. People need to learn how to drive, there is no reason a person already travelling at highway speed should have to slow down to accomodate somebody entering the "flow" of traffic. It's the way people drive in all the other provinces I have driven in (20 years and hundreds of thousands of accident free km's)

Dumbass17
03-18-2012, 01:42 AM
haha canadians can't merge at all, we are rude, selfish drivers. i've noticed that since i've been driving in aus now.

speedog
03-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
haha canadians can't merge at all, we are rude, selfish drivers. i've noticed that since i've been driving in aus now. C'mon, give your noggin a shake. There's crappy drivers in every part of the world. There are Canadians that can merge and ones that can't and this includes a mix of multi-generation and new Canadians. Mar's post above speaks volumes, but there's always going to be that fool who can't figure things out or that other other confident fool who'll rush up the merge lane in his BMW or whatever 'look-at-me' kind of ego vehicle who figures the world has got to give way to him at the end of the merge lane. Have seen shitty drivers all over Canada, in the USA, in central America, in Europe and I'd dare say that Australia has their fair share of them as well - this is most definitely not just a Canadian problem.

ricosuave
03-18-2012, 08:26 AM
how about deerfoot trail, the 17th ave northbound exit?

the bullshit that goes on there for people trying to merge onto deerfoot and the ones trying to merge off onto memorial...

speedog
03-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by ricosuave
how about deerfoot trail, the 17th ave northbound exit?

the bullshit that goes on there for people trying to merge onto deerfoot and the ones trying to merge off onto memorial... Too many people and two entrance/egress points too close together - Deerfoot has been fucked from day one by having an entrance/egress point every mile or so. The 17th Ave/Memorial shit hole is bad in either direction during rush hour and even at most other times, no different than north bound Deerfoot between 32nd Ave and Beddington Trail in the PM rush hour - too many people, too many entrance/egress points. Just poor, poor freeway design

Maxt
03-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by m10-power
Lol how did some of you get your licenses

Oh yes that's right there really isn't a proper test...
You buy it in Vancouver....

Kloubek
03-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Mar
You shouldn't do anything for 2 reasons.
a) It teaches people how to merge properly.
b) The guy merging has to change his speed/position in order to merge and if he speeds/slows to get into the right spot and you do the same, you're just getting in his (my) way. Maintain speed and don't disrupt the flow of traffic, that way the merger can do what they need to get in.

I understand what you're saying, but I'd venture to guess 99% of people who push their way in without signalling *know* they are not merging properly, but just don't care.

Those kinds of people are the kinds to go just a little further and continue to push in even though there is no room - with the expectation that *you* are going to be the one to do the "right" thing, and give them room.

So my doing what you mention above, you risk both an accident (which may or may not be deemed his fault) and road rage from the other driver.

Sometimes, it is just easier to let assholes be assholes and not get involved.

m10-power
03-18-2012, 05:11 PM

I understand what you're saying, but I'd venture to guess 99% of people who push their way in without signalling *know* they are not merging properly, but just don't care.

Those kinds of people are the kinds to go just a little further and continue to push in even though there is no room - with the expectation that *you* are going to be the one to do the "right" thing, and give them room.

So my doing what you mention above, you risk both an accident (which may or may not be deemed his fault) and road rage from the other driver.

Lol what part of MERGE do you not understand. Make room so people do not have to be 'assholes' (in your world), in mine your the asshole.

m10-power
03-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Maxt

You buy it in Vancouver....

Might as well have

Kloubek
03-18-2012, 05:41 PM

Lol what part of MERGE do you not understand. Make room so people do not have to be 'assholes' (in your world), in mine your the asshole.

Woah. Jump to conclusions much? If you cared to read what I wrote before, I believe I mentioned that I do exactly that when possible. But sometimes people fly in and cut you off, or drive so slow when merging you need to gun it or brake hard. Either way, I'm simply staying you shoudn't *have* to do that. If I'm going to make an effort, the merging traffic should as well rather than to assume it is everyone else's responsibility to avoid them and that they own the road. At least put your damn signal on.

I apologize if you feel this is too much to ask. Or maybe you're just having a really bad day. It happens.

Mar
03-18-2012, 06:45 PM

My post was based on a perfect world. I don't disagree with you.

m10-power
03-18-2012, 06:46 PM
I've always drove with the expectation that *I* have the right of way, and those merging in are expected to do so when it is safe. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case; you have those who believe it is *your* responsibility to make room for them.

There are also those who may or may not believe this, but decide to push their way in without signalling or anything. That drives me nuts to no end.

/rant

Woah. Jump to conclusions much? If you cared to read what I wrote before, I believe I mentioned that I do exactly that when possible. But sometimes people fly in and cut you off, or drive so slow when merging you need to gun it or brake hard. Either way, I'm simply staying you shoudn't *have* to do that. If I'm going to make an effort, the merging traffic should as well rather than to assume it is everyone else's responsibility to avoid them and that they own the road. At least put your damn signal on.

I apologize if you feel this is too much to ask. Or maybe you're just having a really bad day. It happens.

No I'm sure I read you correctly, both time. It's a merge why do they have to signal for you? kinda obvious what they have to do, no?

I don't have much problem letting people merge in, just make the space early enough and most people get it. If not oh well.

Read your first 'rant', sums up why I posted what I did.

tch7
03-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Have seen shitty drivers all over Canada, in the USA, in central America, in Europe and I'd dare say that Australia has their fair share of them as well - this is most definitely not just a Canadian problem.
I don't fundamentally disagree, but I'm inclined to side with Dumbass. Drivers in Australia are so much better than they are here. Not saying there aren't some bad drivers, but generally speaking driving there is so much smoother than anywhere else I've been in the world.

The road design and the size of vehicles there is a factor too, of course.

Mar
03-18-2012, 07:37 PM
No I'm sure I read you correctly, both time. It's a merge why do they have to signal for you? kinda obvious what they have to do, no?
That lane doesn't always end, a lot of times it is continuous and there is no reason for the driver to want to merge. I have no idea if that lane ends or not, the sign for that is at the on-ramp, I don't get to see it from the highway. So you need to signal in order to tell me what you're doing, I can't read minds.

Mcknight on ramp to Deerfoot south, there's no need to merge. That lane doesn't end until after 16 Avenue.

Kloubek
03-18-2012, 08:23 PM
....and I stand by what I said, where I'll almost always do everything I can to let people in. It's all about courtesy... if you do what *you* can, then I'm more than happy to do so as well. But being that I'm the one not in the merge lane, I don't think it is my responsibility to make sure you're driving properly.

Why do they have to signal? Well, courtesy is one reason. It is the same reason why it is nice to give a little wave if someone slowed down for you to let you in.

But besides that, who's to say that I even know they have to merge? Maybe I missed the sign because I was changing lanes. Maybe they want to get in, yet there are other options available as well. Who knows. Who cares? You're making it sound like you need to slam on your brakes or surge ahead because, heaven forbid, Mr. Merger has to pay attention and find his own break in traffic and not have his "rightful spot" spoon fed to him.

m10-power
03-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Mar

That lane doesn't always end, a lot of times it is continuous and there is no reason for the driver to want to merge. I have no idea if that lane ends or not, the sign for that is at the on-ramp, I don't get to see it from the highway. So you need to signal in order to tell me what you're doing, I can't read minds.

Mcknight on ramp to Deerfoot south, there's no need to merge. That lane doesn't end until after 16 Avenue.

:facepalm:

We're talking about merge zones

m10-power
03-18-2012, 09:03 PM
....and I stand by what I said, where I'll almost always do everything I can to let people in. It's all about courtesy... if you do what *you* can, then I'm more than happy to do so as well. But being that I'm the one not in the merge lane, I don't think it is my responsibility to make sure you're driving properly.

Why do they have to signal? Well, courtesy is one reason. It is the same reason why it is nice to give a little wave if someone slowed down for you to let you in.

But besides that, who's to say that I even know they have to merge? Maybe I missed the sign because I was changing lanes. Maybe they want to get in, yet there are other options available as well. Who knows. Who cares? You're making it sound like you need to slam on your brakes or surge ahead because, heaven forbid, Mr. Merger has to pay attention and find his own break in traffic and not have his "rightful spot" spoon fed to him.

Again obviously you dont understand the word merge, no point in further discussing merging until you do. Lets just say that you are mr merger too if your in the merge lane, you do understand the there are two lanes involve in a merge zone right...

Mar
03-18-2012, 11:21 PM

:facepalm:

We're talking about merge zones
You missed my point. You said you don't need to signal because it's obvious that your lane is going to end and you have to merge, it's obvious. I explained with great detail that it isn't obvious, I don't know if your lane is going to end or not, you have to tell me. By signalling.

DEATH2000
03-19-2012, 12:46 AM
The TSA also says you have to signal your intention to merge/switch lanes.

codetrap
03-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Mar

You missed my point. You said you don't need to signal because it's obvious that your lane is going to end and you have to merge, it's obvious. I explained with great detail that it isn't obvious, I don't know if your lane is going to end or not, you have to tell me. By signalling.
Here's the cake..

Originally posted by DEATH2000
The TSA also says you have to signal your intention to merge/switch lanes.
and here's the icing..

Whee, it's fun to watch people get educated. To see that dull blankness in their eyes brighten to the shine of actual knowledge..

(yes, I'm feeling rather trollish this morning hehe)

m10-power
03-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Mar

If you knew what a merge was then you'd also know that the lane ends. See you are probably confusing it with the free flowing lane sign...based on what you repeatedly say...

Reading this thread on an car forum it make me better understand why the average driver in this city (really yhe whole country) sucks.

My comment regarding not signally was to someones comment saying they have to signal to get their blessing, since how dare you attempt to get into their lane without doing so properly. Kinda tongue and cheek, which gets lost in the text.

kenny
03-19-2012, 10:45 AM
LOL Mar, this thread is about merging onto highways and you bring up an example that is not a merge.

Whenever there is an actual merge onto the highway there will be a sign you can see from the highway. The reason you don't see such a sign at McKnight is because there is no merge.

Example:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=calgary&hl=en&ll=51.08059,-114.033297&spn=108.340843,214.277344&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=67.840216,107.138672&t=w&hnear=Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta,+Canada&z=3&layer=c&panoid=1EIywTlmBzNKinkCsBh3wA&cbll=51.08059,-114.033297&cbp=13,-193.56942097857058,,0,0

Either that, or you suffer from tunnel vision and can only see whatever is ahead of you in your own lane, and in that case you should get off the road.

rage2
03-19-2012, 11:42 AM
And ppl wonder why I need big hp in my cars. You need 400+ hp to safely merge in this city haha.