PDA

View Full Version : Interested in MWD

jvyyc
03-15-2012, 03:58 PM
I know, "not another one!", but the forums I've read before haven't quite fit my situation so I was hoping to benefit from all the experience out there. I have no field or rig experience, but am very interested in getting into MWD and am wondering about how possible that is? I know a guy who also had no experience and was able to get in and is doing well, but he knew someone who knew someone. Is he the exception rather than the rule? Do I have to know somebody in charge of hiring? I grew up on a farm so am no stranger to crappy (and long hours) and even working with machinery, but my resume is mostly sales and service roles. I am totally willing to bust my hump to succeed at it, just not sure how to get the foot in the door. And I am well aware of the shift work and other downsides that as a newbie I'd be dealing with, I am also aware of it being fairly lucrative, and part of an industry that has some major potential to grow in.

Oh, and I am aware of the necessity of H2S, PST, and WHIMIS. Going to take those courses in the next couple of weeks as I was told it is mandatory to even get looked at.

HomespunLobster
03-15-2012, 04:23 PM
good luck at this time of year. spring break up.

i'm just trying to get in as well, but i have roughneck experience. they were happy to see that

jvyyc
03-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Yeah I have heard this time of year isn't great, but was speaking to someone at Precision Drilling and they said they thought it would be a relatively short break up this year, like 3 to 4 weeks before they'd start taking guys on again. How long were you a roughneck? How's the money doing that? I did think about maybe doing a stint as a leasehand or something just to get my foot in the door and make myself a bit more marketable, maybe I should consider that some more.

Supa Dexta
03-16-2012, 10:47 AM
If I were to do it again, I'd go DD off the bat - And get whatever experience I needed (derrick - some drilling usually) to go that route instead.

Kloubek
03-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Why did I read the subject line as "Interested in WMD".

...watching too much American TV....

HomespunLobster
03-16-2012, 11:04 AM
4-5~ months as roughneck
pay is pretty good. 29/h

DRKM
03-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
If I were to do it again, I'd go DD off the bat - And get whatever experience I needed (derrick - some drilling usually) to go that route instead.

I am not to many places would take someone in for a junior DD with no rig experience?

From what I have seen they are generally MWDs or Drillers.

msommers
03-18-2012, 06:02 PM
A DD with zero rig experience? Good luck. All the DDs I've come across have been from the bottom of the totem poll and are where they are after a lot of rigging years.

MWD doesn't require you to have rig experience. You also don't need an Eng. degree but it helps. There are MWD hands who were able to get hired on with basically no pertaining knowledge or experience but I'd say that's the exception than the rule.

Roughnecking would be a great way to get experience around the rig while getting a pretty decent pay cheque. Not easy work but you have to start somewhere.

Supa Dexta
03-18-2012, 06:53 PM
I said nothing about 0 rig experience.

msommers
03-18-2012, 08:02 PM
I actually spoke to our Halliburton crew out here about this and the answers were very surprising.

DD's can have no experience coming. They're actually wanting guys with Eng. degrees to come in without experience because of the potential for previous "bad habits." Same with MWD hands but he said you can't really come in with no rig experience or no Eng. degree. Company men don't even need rig experience which was super surprising. They've both come across a lot of trainee company men with no rigging experience.

So there you have it.

zarge
03-18-2012, 08:34 PM
lol good luck, hard even if you have rig experience. My current bosses have piles of resumes like 2 feet high and they only hire their friends or employees/contractors friends. Why would I train some random guy I don't know?? No Thanks
Best bet is probably a bigger company if you have school and you will be their bitch, get paid half of what smaller companies pay.. but you can always transfer over to a smaller company later. Once you have MWD experience it's pretty easy to get a job anywhere.

SKR
03-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by msommers
I actually spoke to our Halliburton crew out here about this and the answers were very surprising.

DD's can have no experience coming. They're actually wanting guys with Eng. degrees to come in without experience because of the potential for previous "bad habits." Same with MWD hands but he said you can't really come in with no rig experience or no Eng. degree. Company men don't even need rig experience which was super surprising. They've both come across a lot of trainee company men with no rigging experience.

So there you have it.

Your Halliburton crew is all retards.

Supa Dexta
03-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Good point^

Anything else to add though?

msommers
03-19-2012, 08:27 PM
I agree it seems off but who knows, maybe they're changing their hiring practises.

What do you guys do at the rig?

Supa Dexta
03-19-2012, 08:34 PM
vac truck, so I think I know a little bit more about all of this then most.

lasimmon
03-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Good luck going to be a DD with no experiance. I know a coupleand they both have experiance. You could go MWD or wireline or frac or something along those lines. They are always looking for guys to do that stuff. And a retarded monkey could probably do most of it (I know from experiance).

To be honest a lot of oilfield work requires 2 feet and a heartbeat, but I would say DD is not one of them.

SKR
03-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Most places are going to hire DDs who have actually drilled. There are probably a lot where extensive MWD experience can replace drilling experience. Halliburton did a lot of dumb shit while I was there and it was getting worse every day, but I can't see them doing something like that. Now, if that's what you were told, then that's what you were told and maybe it's true. I just can't see it happening.

As far as experience and education go, it depends. Actual rig experience is still valued over almost everything, and if you want to keep your options open, this is the way to go. If you have an idea of what you want to do for the next 10-15 years, getting an education specializing in your desired field might be a better option.

And if you're like me and you have no rig experience or education, I hope you really like whatever job you get, because you're going to be there looking through the glass ceiling for a long time. By the time I build up enough experience where I can get into an oil company's office, which for most people here is going to be the finish line, I could have started as a leasehand and worked my way up faster, or got an engineering degree and got in that way.

These threads pop up all the time, and if you don't have any rig experience or an engineering degree, probably the high water mark in your career is going to be one or two levels above where you started. If you're a stud and the right opportunities present themselves, sure, you can go farther. But that's not a guarantee, and certainly not as guaranteed as what experience or education can do for you. Six years ago, I was driving from rig to rig, checking mud. Six years from now, I'll probably still be driving from rig to rig, checking mud. If instead of starting as a mud man I started working rigs, in those same 12 years there's no reason I couldn't be a wellsite supervisor or working in the oil company's office. Maybe I can do it as a mud man too, but it's going to take a lot of work and a lot of luck. And it's not that I'm an asshole or that I'm shitty at my job, it's just that a few years of experience with service companies doesn't really mean anything when it comes to working in Calgary.

Short version: getting experience working on rigs in my opinion will be more beneficial in the long run.

jvyyc
03-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for all your insights. Sounds like the guy I know really lucked out in getting MWD right off the bat with no rig experience. I on the other hand have never been the lucky type so I might have to look at being a leasehand or some other starting rig position first. If I go that route can I make a pretty decent wage first year out? I hear 25 - 29/hr + overtime, is that generally the case?

Thanks again, looks like I might have an interesting year in front of me once spring break up is over.

SKR
03-21-2012, 08:10 PM
CAODC's recommended wage for leasehands is $27.00/hour, and most drilling contractors are within a dollar or two of that either way. I think I've only seen a couple drilling contractors that pay less than CAODC-recommended. I think most pay that or a little more.

You'll make good money as long as you don't piss it all away like everyone does when they start making good money.

HomespunLobster
03-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Spring break up is happening but there are still jobs. My rig shut down I called the office and now I'm going to fill in a lease hand position for a week. You be enthusiastic and outgoing and you'll find work

hightimes
05-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Going to bump this thread rather than starting a new one since my question is pretty similar to the OPs. I'm looking to get a job as a MWD operator. Don't have a degree or rig experience. Ive been working towards an engineering degree with the intention of working in O&G. Have done 2 4-month summer terms in field operations, so I do have some industry experience and I have all the necessary tickets.

Planning to take the year off of school, will consider going back next fall but at the moment I'm looking to work hard and make some money and weigh my options a year from now.

What I want to know is, when would be the best time to get in with a DD company? When will things be heating up?

Also, any tips for trying to break in without a degree/diploma/rig experience? Any companies that are really staffing up ATM?

Thanks

Supa Dexta
05-26-2014, 04:57 PM
You don't mwd for a year. Its not worth anyones time to train you if you're leaving right away.

hightimes
05-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Makes sense. Forget I said anything about going back to school, its an option that I may or may not pursue. And obviously I wouldn't approach the company telling them I plan to bail in a year.

ExtraSlow
05-26-2014, 07:21 PM
not sure you'd be a very desirable candidate with a half-finished degree and 8 months of semi-relevant experience.
You may be better off getting a job as a labourer at one of the many service company yards, you'll probably learn just as much in that year.

hightimes
05-26-2014, 10:28 PM
Well I'm looking to do something that isnt completely dead-end and the MWD to directional driller path is something i can see myself pursuing if I dont end up going back to school. If I cant get into mwd right now I figure I can start out as a leasehand/floorhand and try to move over if the opportunity arrises. Just trying to get an idea of when these DD companies will be staffing up and which ones to target.

CompletelyNumb
05-26-2014, 11:53 PM
Right about now is a good time to start applying. But you'll have more luck getting a rig job than an MWD job. You need more field experience. IMO.

SKR
05-27-2014, 07:19 AM
If you're going to start off as a leasehand you'll have more options than MWD and on a better path to being a DD.

Maybe it's something I have to do to see for myself, but I don't know that I'll ever understand why MWD is the holy grail of field jobs here. Almost everybody wants to know the fastest way to get into MWD and rarely anything else.

Supa Dexta
05-27-2014, 08:37 AM
There's some sort of bizarre misconception that its a gravy train.. But the turn over is insane once people actually start into it and see it's really not that great.

CompletelyNumb
05-27-2014, 08:59 AM
All they here is "Movies While Drilling" "Do nothing, sit in a shack and make up to $900/day" "Flip to DD in a few years and make 50% more!" "My brother was a truck driver and got hired!"

It's a great job for me, since I leverage my down time to run other companies.

I do tend to train a lot of new guys though. Not sure how many stick around.

hightimes
05-27-2014, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by SKR
If you're going to start off as a leasehand you'll have more options than MWD and on a better path to being a DD.

Maybe it's something I have to do to see for myself, but I don't know that I'll ever understand why MWD is the holy grail of field jobs here. Almost everybody wants to know the fastest way to get into MWD and rarely anything else.

What would my options be other than working my way up on a rig? To me it wouldnt be worth the health risks to spend all that time on a rig.

SKR
05-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by hightimes

What would my options be other than working my way up on a rig? To me it wouldnt be worth the health risks to spend all that time on a rig.

Your options to DD are to either move over from MWD, or work your way up from leasehand to driller, and then move over. Drillers (at least in theory because they have actual hands on experience) make better DDs.

If I was you I'd finish my degree and work rigs in the summer. That's what I should have done. One of the guys I work for did that, and his share of the company he helped build was over $9 million when they sold it. You should do that.

ExtraSlow
05-27-2014, 10:48 AM
agreed, you should make $9 million. Sounds best.

hightimes
05-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Okay well making 9 million is now plan A. But in terms of plan B, as a guy trying to get on as a MWD operator, should I just apply online and hope for the best? As someone who isn't exactly the ideal candidate on paper I figure I'd have to hustle a bit to get the job. I know if you're trying to get on with a drilling crew its best to show up in person, but thats for a job that is basically all manual labour so it makes sense. Would showing up at say Pheonix's offices here in Calgary be a bad look? What about contacting MWD coordinators/managers cold through email/linkedin?

Kavy
05-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
agreed, you should make $9 million. Sounds best.

Spit water on my computer at work when I read this. :rofl: :rofl:

EK69
05-27-2014, 03:40 PM
what are the odds someone will hire for just the summer?
from what i understand, leasehand (aka bitch work) would be the name of the position lol

hightimes
05-27-2014, 04:19 PM
I don't know the odds but they don't really matter seeing as I'm not looking for work for only the summer.

Rat Fink
05-27-2014, 06:13 PM

Supa Dexta
05-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Barge into an office and declare - I'm here for the 9 million.

EK69
05-27-2014, 06:23 PM
I don't know the odds but they don't really matter seeing as I'm not looking for work for only the summer. I was more wondering for myself

hightimes
05-27-2014, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

Sounds like you're lazy if you are already looking to give up on your education part-way through. Your posts also make you sound weak if you are afraid of working on a rig. What do you think you would do as an MWD? You think you work far away from a rig, or never have to walk onto a rig floor? Do you think you'll be that guy with the bright shiny coveralls and glaring white hardhat with the fresh pair of greenkings??

Better stay at home with the bag of doritos, hightimes.

Lay off the criminal minds

hightimes
05-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Barge into an office and declare - I'm here for the 9 million.

Is it recommended to call ahead before asking for the 9 million? Also, should I bring my tickets?

J.M.
05-27-2014, 10:28 PM
No do not call.

SKR
05-28-2014, 11:23 PM
Alright, seriously though, you'll get more out of your year of field experience by being in a position to see a lot of different things. If you work right on the rig, instead of in a shack beside it, you get to see every success and every fuck up because you're there from start to finish. If you're only there for part of it, you only get to see part of the story and that can handcuff you.

If all your hopes and dreams lie within the world of MWD (or whatever), then maybe it's not a bad thing to go directly to that job. I'm just saying that if it was me starting off, I'd want to get as broad an experience as possible so that I had as much as possible to build off of down the road.

hightimes
10-25-2014, 02:55 PM
How big are the MWD tools? As in how long is the longest module that you'll have to transport around? I'm wondering, as a consultant could you get away with using a Jeep Wrangler (4dr with back seats folded down) for work or is a pick-up essential? If your tools would fit in the Jeep the only other issue I could think of would be making a mess/smell but I'm sure if you cleaned everything well and used heavy duty mats you could get by.

Pic to give you an idea of cargo space: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1409_2014_jeep_wrangler_unlimited_rubicon_x_first_test/photo_32.html

I believe the length is ~65" from the inside of the tail gate to the back of the front seats.

I'm asking here because if it's a retarded question I don't want to ask it in an interview :)

CompletelyNumb
10-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Completely depends on the tool system. The EM tool I use doesn't fit in my 5ft box. It sticks a foot over the tailgate. Our pulse tool does fit however. You're best off asking them how long their tools are and then you'll know if it will fit.

That said I've never seen anyone use anything but a truck for MWD. Might get a little dicey if you have to throw multiple gap subs or ubho subs in along with tools. Don't forget about your usual clothes, bedding, kitchen gear. Basic tow gear everyone should be carrying when driving off road in the winter. Groceries. Etc.

adamc
10-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Of the 50+ rigs I've worked on, I've never seen anyone drive anything but a truck, especially on the service side.

Maybe 3-4 times I've seen geologists driving SUVs, but those guys are weirdos and are to be looked at with a suspicious eye most of the time anyway.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no directional company will hire you without a pickup truck.

broken_legs
10-25-2014, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by adamc

Maybe 3-4 times I've seen geologists driving SUVs, but those guys are weirdos and are to be looked at with a suspicious eye most of the time anyway.

Geologists... :rolleyes: And that one fruity Company Man who always wore Turtle Necks and talked with a lisp.

Get a god damned truck, and learn how to drive it in reverse.

Rgs,
B

ddduke
10-25-2014, 11:33 PM
If you drive your jeep it'll also give the guys more of a reason to look down on you and give you a hard time. Most of the guys already think you're lazy and don't belong, don't give them more of a reason to think this.

I don't need a truck for my job and personally would rather drive a luxury suv for comfort and keeping the snow off my personal shit but if I pulled up in the Range I can't even imagine the chirp fest that would ensue.

Same with bright clean coveralls, my cross shift refuses to get dirty and even makes the rig hands clean his protectors before he'll touch them. Needless to say, they all fucking hate him.

HomespunLobster
10-26-2014, 01:28 AM
We use pick ups for our equipment.
I get dirty. I don't mind getting dirty, it's the job. Coveralls can be washed. Same with anything you haul. If you act like a princess you'll be treated like one (And not in a good way)
Half ton or bigger is what you will need for the job. Tool boxes, tie downs, extended cab truck. You won't regret it in the end.

hightimes
10-29-2014, 12:34 PM
Appreciate the input from everyone. Seems a jeep wouldn't be very practical. Are most MWD hands driving half tonnes or 3/4?

broken_legs
10-29-2014, 02:06 PM
Appreciate the input from everyone. Seems a jeep wouldn't be very practical. Are most MWD hands driving half tonnes or 3/4?

3/4 is the standard issue OFS truck. Cannot see a problem with a halfer unless youre regularly carrying subs and crossovers on top of the normal kit.

That being said no idea what these off the shelf kits weigh nowadays.

adamc
10-29-2014, 05:21 PM
b_l are you still doing this type of work overseas?

Aerobat
10-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Our pulse kit is around 1200lbs so a half ton with bags is more than sufficient...I think all EM kits are to long so most are trucked out to location..

broken_legs
10-29-2014, 10:46 PM
b_l are you still doing this type of work overseas?

Sent u a pm, taking a vacay right now.

adamc
10-29-2014, 10:58 PM
^Thanks, Replied PM but your inbox is full.

For the other directional/mwd hands in here, does anyone have to haul their own kit? I know Phoenix, PD, and a lot of the other companies just send a kit box to location on the same hotshot as the motors, whereas Cathedral requires its contractors to have a canopy and haul the kit themselves (fuck that.)

broken_legs
10-29-2014, 11:04 PM
Yours is full now lol

adamc
10-29-2014, 11:04 PM
lol goddamnit

CompletelyNumb
10-30-2014, 12:02 AM
Hauling kits is for staff hands anyways :poosie:

Aerobat
10-30-2014, 10:42 PM
I have to haul my pulse kit around but usually im on projects so its once every couple months..Ill take loaded mileage anyday, im with pacesetter

CompletelyNumb
10-30-2014, 11:25 PM
Loaded mileage? You must be working in Sask.

hightimes
10-31-2014, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Aerobat
I have to haul my pulse kit around but usually im on projects so its once every couple months..Ill take loaded mileage anyday, im with pacesetter

How do you like Pacesetter?

Aerobat
10-31-2014, 05:05 AM
Working south of GP on 30+day holes, Pacesetters been great, awesome tools, good DDs, steady busy work,nice equiptment and paperwork...id recommend them for sure..

CompletelyNumb
10-31-2014, 07:46 AM
What are their mileage rates now? Used to be a standard $1/km in Alta and $500/$750 unloaded/loaded sask.

hightimes
11-02-2014, 08:55 PM
What's meant by 'project work'? Like staying in the same field doing a bunch of wells for the same producer or

CompletelyNumb
11-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Basically. Same oil company, usually same field. Often You'll be on the same rig with the same guys doing multiples wells. Its a thousand times better than doing one off wells or bouncing around.

hightimes
11-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Going to try and keep the discussion going here, I'm in the process of getting set up as a consultant and don't really have any personal contacts in this line of work at this point so this has been real helpful.

I started a thread in the general discussion forum on finding a used truck in Calgary but if any MWD guys in here have tips on getting a truck that'd be great. At this point I just want a 3/4 tonne without the bells and whistles that isn't going to give me mechanical troubles. Ideally I want to pocket some of my km pay instead of putting it all towards a truck.

Also, can anyone comment on incorporating vs a proprietorship? My accountant tells me I don't need to be incorporated and it would make more sense to go the proprietor route at this point and that I could always get incorporated down the road. But I'd like to hear what some guys in the industry have to say.

adamc
11-06-2014, 04:55 PM
*nothing in this post constitutes legal advice*

For what's it's worth, create a numbered company - way more flexible than a sole prop. All of the consultants I know are doing so with a separate corporate entity.

I'm guessing I know which company offered you a consulting gig. Enjoy trying to recoup all of the expenses that you're forced to pay up front to get on with them..

Also, you're essentially an employee with the contract they make you sign, so don't plan on contracting to any other company while working for them. (against their contract, and they'll "fire" you for that).

Better have a solid plan in place for defending yourself from the CRA's personal business rules, because when you work for one company only - you're an employee. An arm's length employee with no benefits, no promise of work, and no recourse if something bad happens in the field.

It's really the worst setup I've come across in my 10+ years in the oilfield.

ExtraSlow
11-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Good luck hightimes.

adamc
11-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Good luck hightimes.

This just made me crack up for some reason. Long day.

CompletelyNumb
11-06-2014, 05:32 PM
*nothing in this post constitutes legal advice*

For what's it's worth, create a numbered company - way more flexible than a sole prop. All of the consultants I know are doing so with a separate corporate entity.

I'm guessing I know which company offered you a consulting gig. Enjoy trying to recoup all of the expenses that you're forced to pay up front to get on with them..

Also, you're essentially an employee with the contract they make you sign, so don't plan on contracting to any other company while working for them. (against their contract, and they'll "fire" you for that).

Better have a solid plan in place for defending yourself from the CRA's personal business rules, because when you work for one company only - you're an employee. An arm's length employee with no benefits, no promise of work, and no recourse if something bad happens in the field.

This is how Pacesetter works. Treat guys like staff hands, but assume no risk or overhead because you make them incorporate. The nickle and dime them all on their day rates to make your company profit.

Scary scenario.

Hightimes, incorporate. And then get a new accountant.

And remember, if you're a competent lead hand, you're worth $800+ a day in this industry. Keep that in mind in your negotiations.

hightimes
11-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by adamc *nothing in this post constitutes legal advice*

Would you mind elaborating on this?

But as far as being nickled and dimed on my day rate that's not a huge concern at this point as I'm just starting out. If my day rate doesn't increase sufficiently with experience I can always shop myself around and bail.

As far as having issues with the CRA, that's actually something my accountant brought up. Is this not an issue for all MWD consultants? From my understanding most work exclusively for one company.

adamc
11-06-2014, 06:05 PM
- New Truck
- Canopy/Topper
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance
- Wellhead Insurance
- Incorporation
- W.C.B.
- Tickets (h2s, first aid, etc.)

There's probably more that I'm missing.

My point is that asking green hands to consult is bullshit, first off - you may hate the work. You might not last in the field, then you've fronted all this money to get a company started that you may have to dissolve.

It's just a shady practice and I don't support it at all.

On the other hand you may love it, excel at it, and break out quickly. In that case you can enjoy your $800+ a day and recoup your startup expenses in a matter of months.

hightimes
11-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Okay makes sense. Thanks.

CompletelyNumb
11-06-2014, 07:42 PM

But as far as being nickled and dimed on my day rate that's not a huge concern at this point as I'm just starting out. If my day rate doesn't increase sufficiently with experience I can always shop myself around and bail.

Like Adam said, this is a self fulfilling error. You should start off as a staff hand when you're training. Get a salary. Benefits. Small day rate. Job security. Then get your raises as you get more experienced. Consultants are traditionally supposed to be top tier, hassle free workers. They know their shit, and are sent out to do it. Training a consultant is a humorous approach.

That said, if you do have an offer, and no other leads for a staff job, you may as well take it. They have a good group of guys there. Great training materials. Learn pulse and EM. Then go somewhere that will pay you more and pay you an all inclusive day rate, not broken down into sub, infield, gamma, etc... And also pay you a flat rate of $1/km, not "loaded and unloaded" mileage. Trust me, you will be happier.

Good luck.

Faker
11-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Hi, Im a recent graduate from the petroleum engineering technology program from Nait and im wondering how do I get my foot into the MWD or DD position?

Any type of certificates I should get?

Env-Consultant
11-07-2014, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

Consultants are traditionally supposed to be top tier, hassle free workers. They know their shit, and are sent out to do it. Training a consultant is a humorous approach.

Good luck.

I loved reading that. I work as a consultant and completely agree with that.

FWIT, if that is how PaceSetter is set up (can't work for anyone else/invoice anyone else and you have to have run your own company), I would look elsewhere - they are putting you in a shitty situation. Other consultants I know bill at least 3 companies a year at a minimum to avoid issues. You have to remember, given your situation, you're basically working as am employee yet writing a pile of shit off that everyone has to pay - fair? Not to the average Joe...and CRA views it as the same.

Also, I would incorporate - close that liability off for minimal cost so if you F yourself and drop the ball at work, all of your liability falls on your company - your personal assets/accounts are safe. Quick Google search will explain that.

msommers
11-07-2014, 01:49 AM
We havea guy from Halliburton out here doing his break out test pretty soon. The guy has well over a year experience but they're pretty picky at the moment regarding the test so he's pretty nervous lol. Seems that when things were busy, lots of unqualified guys broke out and got their normal wage.

There are ways to avoid CRA problems while being incorporated but the biggest reasons to be incorporated are to pay yourself in dividends, decreased CPP/EI and corporate tax rates, and ensure your personal assets are protected in case you screw up in the field and they try to take your house! I just avoid keeping money in the company and don't pay corporate tax. Assets are protected and PSB problems don't exist (or so my accountant had told me). But of course I pay a lot of tax which is now monthly :(

I might assume that WCB is mandatory if you guys but not everyone is legally required to have it.

There are likely lots of "consultants" in Alberta flirting the line between being an employee and corporation. Just ensure you understand what to do you minimize any risk. Signing a contract sounds like the exact opposite thing you want to do if a corporation is how you want to structure things.

themack89
11-20-2014, 04:34 PM
I wonder what it is about beyonders and the affinity / interest in MWD'ing. It's probably the most popular occupation on this site haha.

ExtraSlow
11-20-2014, 04:47 PM
MWD and Baller are the top two for sure.

SKR
11-20-2014, 06:48 PM

Holy fuck I laughed at this.

broken_legs
11-21-2014, 04:49 AM

I thought all MWDs were Ballers? :dunno:

The only people with enough time to argue on beyond are MWD hands and the unemployed.

themack89
11-23-2014, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs
The only people with enough time to argue on beyond are MWD hands and the unemployed.

This is so true :clap:

Hahaha. It's a career progression.

Step 1) MWD
Step 2) ????
Step 3) Baller

CompletelyNumb
11-23-2014, 10:15 AM
Only thing more baller is a giant HELOC of course.

themack89
11-23-2014, 01:45 PM
What do you guys think is the proper etiquette for letting your night hand work days once in a while? Especially if you're on a project.

I think it's kinda inhuman to make the guy work nights for the whole winter.

CompletelyNumb
11-23-2014, 02:12 PM
If he's actually a solid hand I offer to trade off every 2 wells. (12 day wells). Gives each guy fair time. Not switching too often which sucks. Many guys choose to stay on nights surprisingly.

themack89
11-23-2014, 05:07 PM
That seems pretty fair. Yeah he is a good hand so I am lucky there.

8 Day holes here doing cardium by Drayton Valley. Close enough to both of our homes to where we can also get the nice gig going for staying late / coming early rotation.

Where u working numbster?

CompletelyNumb
11-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Right beside you. Blaze road.

themack89
11-24-2014, 06:59 AM
Small world. Penn West?

CompletelyNumb
11-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Lightstream. Been up here since July, was here for damn near a year before breakup too. Like you said, close enough to home and easy drilling for the mwd tool. I like it. Let me know if you ever wanna meet up in town.

themack89
11-24-2014, 04:35 PM
I'm down.. We TD'd an hour and a half ago if you wanna tonight.

GotRice?
11-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Of the 50+ rigs I've worked on, I've never seen anyone drive anything but a truck, especially on the service side.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no directional company will hire you without a pickup truck.

http://s22.postimg.org/9gzxoybip/LOL.jpg

Lexus RX350. Last minute site visit. That's the only vehicle the rental company had available at the time. So awkward....

*edit* i don't work on a rig. this post is irrelevant. Just wanted to point out how silly it looks driving an SUV out there.

msommers
11-24-2014, 07:53 PM
LOL you guys are so insecure - Love my 4runner.
-Geo

ExtraSlow
11-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Picked up a rental "truck" in fort nelson once, and it was a Kia Rondo. Passed some of those heavy-rock rocks working way out back on some haul roads, and heard the first driver call out to the second: "Hey jimmy, look out, there's some kind of little, uh . . .something . . Well, it's headed your way, don't squish him."

I tell ya, my pride took a hit.

SKR
11-24-2014, 10:31 PM
One guy I've seen on a couple rigs I've worked on, I've always thought he was MWD or DD but maybe he was a geo, drives a purple Mitsubishi Eclipse. Not just once or twice, it's this fucker's rig rocket.

msommers
11-24-2014, 10:35 PM
Very first job I ever worked I saw this old Lebaron. It was at the bottom of a hill and it was incredibly muddy out. I don't know if he had the loader tow him out or what but all the trucks were having a hard enough time getting back up haha