PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: 1986-1987 Corolla GTS, questions (moved)

moojester
02-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Hey.

Wondering what a resonable
price to expect for a corolla gts.

How much are the factory manuals,
are they relatively easy to source or
find used?

Are there any specialty tools required
for doing basic maintenance on the car?
(for brakes, timing, suspension,etc)

Looking for stock or as close
to stock as possible.

Stock wheels a plus.

Around 200k KM.

No Accidents Please.

Hatchback perfered. (doorstop! with
groccery power)

Wondering about what to watch out
for on a car like this. How strong is
the tranny, engine. etc. Any known design flaws. How much room between seat and
roof? =p

Thanks anyone for anything.

Have a good day.

Speed_Dreams
02-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by moojester

Stock 13" wheels a plus.

I don't think they cam stock with 13's

my sister has one and its on the factory rims and they are 14

moojester
02-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Oh.

This is interesting.

I've never actually looked
at the tire. They just seemd to be
13".

Thanks for the info.

RXsevenmonk
02-01-2004, 06:02 PM
yeah and what exactly are teenage modifications?

moojester
02-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Heh.

That was a very poor way to phase it.

I'm ashamed of myself for putting it that
way. I would be really insulted if someone
else put it that way.

I was just refering to cutting coils and half assed
maintinance.

dcoultis
02-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Watchout for rust, especially on the rear shock towers, make sure you check that before buying the car. You can get a gts in reasonable shape for usually around 2500 and up depending on mods and seller. They are starting to get more and more expensive. People are paying 5000 and up for original rust free cars which are almost impossible to find.

JDMAE86
02-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Hey.

Wondering what a resonable
price to expect for a corolla gts.

How much are the factory manuals,
are they relatively easy to source or
find used?

Are there any specialty tools required
for doing basic maintenance on the car?
(for brakes, timing, suspension,etc)

Looking for stock or as close
to stock as possible.

Stock wheels a plus.

Around 200k KM.

No Accidents Please.

Hatchback perfered. (doorstop! with
groccery power)

Wondering about what to watch out
for on a car like this. How strong is
the tranny, engine. etc. Any known design flaws. How much room between seat and
roof? =p

Thanks anyone for anything.

Have a good day.

A reasonable price is pretty much anywhere from $1000.00 for a 300k car with a severe case of rust. Or $4000.00 for a 150-250k car with minor surface rust. Probably the $2000.00-$2500.00 mark for the car your looking for.

Factory manual, last I heard it was discontinued but went for approx. $100.00 I think. Used check on Ebay.

No special tools required to work on these cars. Just your basic metric tool kit.

If headroom is a concern for you, I recommend finding a Corolla without a sunroof. If you are 5'10" or taller this might a bit of a problem. Only design flaw I can think of is expect no heat when the temperature goes below -15 outside.

I hope this helps you with some of your questions. If not sorry to put in my two cents.:dunno:

moojester
02-01-2004, 09:46 PM
Ok.

rust on the rear shock towers.

Are the shock towers covered in carpet?
Should i check both sides of the shock tower,
(ie get a jack, or take pictures up inside the
rear fenders and check out the tops?

Where is a good place to take a car to examine it
on a Lift?

I left a note on a red GTS near my place and
the guy called me back.. =p

Exciting.

Thanks!

moojester
02-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by JDMAE86

No special tools required to work on these cars. Just your basic metric tool kit.

If headroom is a concern for you, I recommend finding a Corolla without a sunroof. If you are 5'10" or taller this might a bit of a problem. Only design flaw I can think of is expect no heat when the temperature goes below -15 outside.

I hope this helps you with some of your questions. If not sorry to put in my two cents.:dunno:

First, Your two cents is very much appreciated.

Yah.. Definatly a plus if it doesn't have a sunroof.

I have a sunroof in my car and it take away like an inch of
room that i so need. With a helmet on in my scirocco i need
the sun roof tilted.

Hmm

Is the heater core in the ae86 a weak spot? Or is it the
blower motor?

JDMAE86
02-01-2004, 10:08 PM
Well Im not to sure WTF it is. I changed my heater core,thermostat,waterpump, and heater valve. Still no heat when it's below -15.
I still love the cars, so instead I just dress warmer when I have to drive the Corolla.

Shock towers are covered in the hatches but not in the coupes.

Just another heads up:thumbsup:

moojester
02-01-2004, 10:13 PM
sweet.. thanks.

The carpet in the back of my hachback, scirroco, just lifts
up..

Is it glued down in a corolla?

Is this the sort of think i can check without
wrecking anything?

Scottie403
02-01-2004, 10:56 PM
go here its a gts forum
http://pub25.ezboard.com/bdorikaze

moojester
02-01-2004, 11:02 PM
thanks

twincharged86
02-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Hey Greg

try rerouting the heater lines like a honda, that's what i did with my corolla and the heater is very hot, while the car is very cool

Well Im not to sure WTF it is. I changed my heater core,thermostat,waterpump, and heater valve. Still no heat when it's below -15.
I still love the cars, so instead I just dress warmer when I have to drive the Corolla.

Shock towers are covered in the hatches but not in the coupes.

Just another heads up:thumbsup:

JDMAE86
02-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by twincharged86
Hey Greg

try rerouting the heater lines like a honda, that's what i did with my corolla and the heater is very hot, while the car is very cool

Really? We need to fix mine right away, let me know when your available.
Thanks
Greg

jdmakkord
02-02-2004, 11:27 AM

Really? We need to fix mine right away, let me know when your available.
Thanks
Greg

Fuck, help paul fix his too!!!! Damn cold in that car(but fast;) )

Redlyne_mr2
02-02-2004, 04:10 PM
Ill sell you mine for $6500,bunch of mods, completely rust free, cleanest corolla around:thumbsup:

moojester
02-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Hehe.

for 6500, it better have a 20v in it.

ApexDrift
02-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Hehe.

for 6500, it better have a 20v in it.

ill show you why REDLyNE says 6500

CUZ ITS BEAUTIFUL!:thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
02-02-2004, 07:30 PM
haha thanks for the compliment bud, id have to get a choice price for the car seeing as how much work I put into it..my cars are always for sale just maybe not at the price most people are willing to pay

method
02-02-2004, 07:33 PM
mine was 'beautiful' too.. wish I could have gotten 6500 for it though lol. :burnout:

JDMAE86
02-02-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by method
mine was 'beautiful' too.. wish I could have gotten 6500 for it though lol. :burnout:

Method,
I dont know why you sold your car? It was so nice, then cocabrova sold it. Im sure you both have some regrets, I know I do especially when I sold my coupe.
Yeah like Redlyne_mr2 said my cars are always for sale too.

Seanith
02-02-2004, 11:11 PM
heh the corolla king strikes again. :D

Migs
02-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Prices for AE86's range anywhere from $400-$2500 in Calgary most of the time, and more often than not you get what you pay for.

BUT you'd be surprised what $500 can get you sometimes...

http://dreamsofdrifting.com/main/Cali2003Cos05.jpg

Mind you I added the bumper, skirts, and rims ;)

Migs

Migs
02-03-2004, 12:49 AM
Hey Greg, if you manage to get your heater working PLEASE give me a heads up and let me know what you did!

Thanks!
Migs

GTS Jeff
02-03-2004, 12:55 AM
a corolla is an easy car to work on, theres really nothing complicated. the main thing to look for is signs of it being bagged on, which most are.

rust, headgasket, every single suspension part being completely worthless, hmmm rust, the stupid clutch kill switch being dead, ripped up front seats, rust...

Cueman
02-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Well writ Jeff...

I think we should all praise Migs... he's the only AE86 owner I know who's not willing to part with his car when large offers start coming his way. I know because I waved money in his face for months on end after eyeing his hatchback.

Besides Migs, I'm convinced that most AE86 owners don't really love their cars at all. They might like the cars in BV Magazine, and Hot Version video... but anyone who's ever owned an 86 knows that getting there is $$. As soon as we realize this, the bidding starts... there's so much hype, you can ussually convince somebody.

At least that's how it's been for me...

GTS Jeff
02-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Cueman
anyone who's ever owned an 86 knows that getting there is $$. so true. everyone thinks that an 86 is gona make for a cheap and fun beater. fun? yes. beater? most likely. cheap? hell no!!

unfortunately most ppl dont realize this until afterwards and we are left with 9828793 cheap assed corolla drivers browsing club4ag for ways to save money (me included) :thumbsdow

Redlyne_mr2
02-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
so true. everyone thinks that an 86 is gona make for a cheap and fun beater. fun? yes. beater? most likely. cheap? hell no!!

unfortunately most ppl dont realize this until afterwards and we are left with 9828793 cheap assed corolla drivers browsing club4ag for ways to save money (me included) :thumbsdow
haha yah too many low baller 86 drivers out there, I couldnt even sell my snowflake rims for $40!! The more I drive it the more I enjoy it and quite frankly if I was to get $6500 for mine Id buy another one and do even more to it than the previous one

jdmakkord
02-03-2004, 06:17 PM
After going for a fuckin crazy ride in a boosted ae......I'd love to own one, but dont think I trust myself driving one:D

Speed_Dreams
02-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Oh.

This is interesting.

I've never actually looked
at the tire. They just seemd to be
13".

Thanks for the info.

sorry i think i was drunk or just really tired when i wrote that reply. I thoguth that you wanted to buy a Celica GTS....my bad sorry

Migs
02-04-2004, 01:12 PM
awww thanks Q

but you're right, the only thing that will ever part me from my hatchback will either be the death of myself or the car.

AE86 for life

Migs

moojester
02-04-2004, 02:24 PM
ill show you why REDLyNE says 6500

CUZ ITS BEAUTIFUL!:thumbsup:

Damn.

That is fine.

I would love to lick it.

JDMAE86
02-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Migs
Hey Greg, if you manage to get your heater working PLEASE give me a heads up and let me know what you did!

Thanks!
Migs

Ill let you know once i get it going, I cant believe how good the heat is in my SR5 though. It's like a new car, but I cant stand to drive it. Too slow for me.

Inthered
02-04-2004, 09:29 PM

Ill let you know once i get it going, I cant believe how good the heat is in my SR5 though. It's like a new car, but I cant stand to drive it. Too slow for me.

Greg, tell me how please.

Redlyne_mr2
02-04-2004, 09:48 PM

Yes please post a write up when I was drivng across canada there were times when I had my winter jacket, touque, gloves and a quilt over my legs..it was sooo cold

dj ambiguous
02-05-2004, 07:06 PM
lol.. my car is blowing nice heat.. but then again i have a piece of cardboard covering half my rad... also my thermostat is stuck open.. very gay.. but it is warm tho...

JDMAE86
02-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by dj ambiguous
lol.. my car is blowing nice heat.. but then again i have a piece of cardboard covering half my rad... also my thermostat is stuck open.. very gay.. but it is warm tho...

Are you still coming to Calgary tommorow? If you are call me, Im off tommorow and Sunday.

nosegrindR
02-09-2004, 12:24 AM
my heat works nice greg thanks for the car