PDA

View Full Version : Possible Ontario "anti-street racing" bill...

Hollywood
02-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Taken from another site;

Basically, street racers are going to ruin modding cars in the future.

--------------------------------------------------
new Ontario "anti-street racing" bill...

hey

I thought some of you might find this interesting. First off let me say that I in no way support street racing and any racing should be kept to the track, but I was talking with someone the yesterday and did some further research about this new "anti-street racing" bill that the Ontario government is trying to pass through or is considerig passing. I am really upset about this bill cause it prohibits any mods that could be used for street racing to be hooked up in the car while traveling on Ontario roads (largely aimed at nitrous obviously, but the wording can include just about everything from tachometers to turbos I guess) and any police officer can pull you over and search your car if they suspect you of having any of these "items" online in the vehicle. So if we're going to the track are we supposed to hook up and install all this stuff when we get there?

Now the part about stiffer penalties for those actually caught in the act of street racing I agree with, but street racing would now count as going at least 25 km/hr over the speed limit with like 2 cars side by side...so like if you try to pass someone on a 2 lane highway and buddy doesn't want you to pass him and speeds up and Mr. po-po catches you, that would be street racing, which means good-bye car, and hello $3-5000 dollar fine (depending on the severity)

There's a petition going around (that has like 13,000 sigs already) about rewording the bill and it makes several valid points about these shops and people who make their livelyhood out of selling and installing performance parts for cars, and a bill like this, as it is now, would virtually shut them down. I agree that this isn't right for the Ontario Government to do this...if they're going to butt f*** us with insurance costs, we should at least have some freedom to modify our cars! Plus, do they really think the police have nothing better to do than inspect stuff like ricer's cars?

I can see Giancarlo's point he's been making lately about the 15 year rule changing (at least in Ontario) only because of the government's gross fear of "street racing", and I'm sure they're not thrilled about cars like the Skylines coming here.

just my 2 cents....

------------------------------------------

JAYMEZ
02-01-2004, 04:26 PM
That would never happen

Speed_Dreams
02-01-2004, 05:08 PM
The only people that wanna stop other from moding there cars are the ones who when they were 16-25ish didn't have the $$ to afford a cool car and get hooked on the tuning Bug. I don't think it would ever happen because that would make it Illegal to do any customizing to your car. and in turn that would put thousands of people out of jobs becuase it would force tuner shops to close there doors.

Just my opinion

Hollywood
02-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Speed_Dreams
I don't think it would ever happen because that would make it Illegal to do any customizing to your car. and in turn that would put thousands of people out of jobs becuase it would force tuner shops to close there doors.

Just my opinion

Keep in mind they if this was done it would not be illegal to have the parts on the car if it was only a race car and not driven on public roads.

JAYMEZ
02-01-2004, 05:42 PM
What happened to freedom hehe

Hollywood
02-01-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
What happened to freedom hehe

Canadian gov. = DICTATORSHIP!

Redlyne_mr2
02-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Damn that sucks, I hate street racers just as much as the next guy but some of those laws are just unfair

rotar2
02-01-2004, 09:36 PM
That's rediculous... Hopefully it doesn't get passed for you Ontario peeps..

THREE40SEVEN
02-02-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood

Canadian gov. = DICTATORSHIP!
SILENCE!!!!

Bruce Chan
02-03-2004, 10:15 AM
i think if the car exhust is not noise and this is ok to drive outside.
i live in ontario and i knew the police are really like to check up some car look like the racing car, if you have a big GT wing or big exhust on your car, or you have make your car spring lower than the normal, even though is a 4 drs car, they also have right to check up the car, and they will do it. Especially, at the end of the months 25-28. They check more seriously, and i hate they're doing that , i cant drive on those day, and everyday make me scare of the police will give me ticket. so when i saw police car around, i will turn around to the other side. i was like living in den when i was driving my sweet car.
Therefore, i bought an other normal car and i left my old car for track day.:barf:

MM93
02-03-2004, 10:40 AM
I have seen the Bill someone emailed it to me and it is for real. They already have "No modified zone" Just like van.
I am from Ont. and i could see this happening. Plus do you think that the govt cares about the affects it has on business' like tunning shops that fuel street racing. NO! Tuner cars stick out like a soar thumb on the 401. Thats why clean and simple is the way to go with your car. They are going to drive street racing down. And so they should! But the problem is that it will affect the good guys and the bad!! And i hate (as do others i am sure)taking the heat for all the dumb ass' out there. Lets not ruin a good thing!!!
Later
MM

chamafi
02-03-2004, 02:23 PM
that sucks if the law gets gassed in one place the law makers of other places will pick it up and every one will be out big time

Hollywood
02-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN

SILENCE!!!!

LOL.:rofl:

Speed_Dreams
02-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Whats this "no mod zone"?? is it just a couple blocks radius or streets that if your car is caught with any modification you get a huge fine?