PDA

View Full Version : Can any Car Stealerships be honest?

CelicaST-162
02-01-2004, 04:28 PM
I went to Chinook Auto Sales on 17 ave SE in Forest Lawn, they had a 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo Targa, Burgundy...Overall the car was MINT. I got the keys and started the car and did a little revved a LITTLE, to see if there was any knocking sound (I have a little knack about those). Sure enough the bottom end was knocking. The salesman comes out yelling at me "Dont rev it when its cold, its a high performance engine and it will blow if you do" I say I revved it a little more than 500rpms and it WONT hurt it. By the way the bottom end is knocking. He says the engine was just rebuilt, and he has the reciepts for it. I asked to look at them but he says they were at his other dealership. If it was rebuilt they did a real shitty job. I feel bad when the next person gets suckered into their schpeel.....they think were so stupid.:thumbsdow

kevie88
02-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Those little lots in are the seed of the Devil.. Almost every one I have been to has just fed me an absolute bullshit story about every car I have ever gone to look at. I hate them so much it makes me sick!! :barf:

KoukiS14
02-01-2004, 04:55 PM
Yup, i agree.

Id rather buy off of a complete stranger and take my chances than listen to another minute of those "little lot" sales pitches.

method
02-01-2004, 04:55 PM
a pox on their houses!

CelicaST-162
02-01-2004, 04:56 PM
crazy enough, they expect to get 7000$ for that tired Supra Turbo :drama:

Speed_Dreams
02-01-2004, 05:04 PM
I bought my car at atlantic auto sales and the guy was cool about it. He let me take if for an inspection and i drove the car for like 45min before i gave it back to him. I knew the timing belt needed to be replaced cuz the car had 200km on it. but other then that he was honest about everything. Good guy 2 he owns a Red TT 300ZX and a red Turbo Civic Hatch

illeagle
02-01-2004, 06:10 PM
16th ave auto sales, tried the same thing on me back when i was looking for my first car (16yo) he told me this celica GTS had a full rebuild by toyota mechanics, and will run forever..

we started it up, puffing blue smoke.. open up the hood, and the motor is soaked in old dirty oil, there's also a nice puddl eof some kind of fluid under there,... a week later the car was sold to some girl... damn money hungry bastards.. :guns:

I did get a good experience fromsales at Kramer mazda and parts people from sundridge mazda, good people! :thumbsup:

403Gemini
02-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by illeagle
16th ave auto sales, tried the same thing on me back when i was looking for my first car (16yo) he told me this celica GTS had a full rebuild by toyota mechanics, and will run forever..

we started it up, puffing blue smoke.. open up the hood, and the motor is soaked in old dirty oil, there's also a nice puddl eof some kind of fluid under there,... a week later the car was sold to some girl... damn money hungry bastards.. :guns:

I did get a good experience fromsales at Kramer mazda and parts people from sundridge mazda, good people! :thumbsup:

16th ave auto told me that the toyota paseo is a rare collectable of high performance... yea with its 110 hp :rolleyes:

CelicaST-162
02-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by illeagle

Was it a White Celica GT-S?

403Gemini
02-01-2004, 07:51 PM
oh another funny one, is there is a small stealership east of chinook (forget what its called... has ugly coloring... teal and pink... anyways back on topic) said they had a 95 zx2. to my knowledge zx2's were only made for 3 years and it sure as hell didnt start in 95 (i thought 98 :dunno: but im positive its not 95 lol)

Ducati
02-01-2004, 11:16 PM
I am a FORMER car salesman because of all the bullshit I was encouraged to try.
I was told "Give them credit for brains, get out of business". They regard young people as a bunch of chickenchokers and monkeyspankers whom if you listen to them pretend to know it all you can get them to buy anything by agreeing with them, and stroking their egos.
They also know what the desireable cars are. Dont think you can get a deal on a Prelude, a Civic Si, a Talon or a WRX, etc.

The best tactic is to Not Let On that you know anything. Ask questions that you already know the answers to, in order to gauge the salesmans' knowledge and honesty. Most car salesmen really dont know that much about cars - however some know a great deal.

I do know of a FEW small car lots that are run by honest guys, and they have the good reputation and repeat business that they deserve and have earned. Most, however, are pure slime pits. Don't walk away - RUN...unless you are just there to entertain yourself and check out an interesting car or truck.
Beware even, many of the larger dealerships, where the real smooth sharks work. They will have you in the business office trying to close you before you know what is happening. Thats when you find out that the collection that you had five years ago from the video store for the late charges is on your credit history, and you do not qualify for that 0% financing. They will try anything to disqualify you from the low rates, because the business manager gets a kickback from everybody, from the salesman to the bank/finance co., to the undercoater/rustproofer/make your car smell like cunt guy.

InfraRed
02-04-2004, 07:28 AM
:werd: The real sharks are at the big dealerships. Fortunatley, the best used cars are at the small lots. Most used car salesman aren't very knowledegable about the cars they're selling. I'll use Ford for example. Trucks are Ford's bread & butter. Most of the salespeople don't know the difference between a Focus ZX3 & SVT. They don't know what a ZX2 S/R is or why anyone would buy a sports car that isn't a Mustang.

ZorroAMG
02-04-2004, 07:56 AM
That fast lane auto or whatever it is called now on MacLeod and 42 (or 39th?) ave sw is full of a bunch of douche bags....I went in when I was looking to buy an e-class and they kept trying to sell me decrepid 1987 300E's claiming they were 1991's. A simple door jamb check (even though I could tell by looking at the seats, lack of dual airbags and side cladding) showed them what a bunch of jackasses they were. I walked out of there laughing my ass off....Dorks

sputnik
02-04-2004, 08:04 AM
Does anyone know of the good used car lots that dont suck?

m10-power
02-04-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Does anyone know of the good used car lots that dont suck?

The bargin finder or Auto trader. Don't buy a car from a lot, you get to pay GST on a used car from a lot. Still don't understand that one...

Only thing to watch out for are 'curbers', make sure you check for proof of length of ownership. Have them inspected by a shop that knows the type of car.

dj_rice
02-04-2004, 11:27 AM
hahah i would never trust buying a car down in Forest Lawn lol...cmon its the ghetto..I would expect shady car salesman trying to sell us their POS...even myself..I dont even park my car in the front of the street cuz I know it'll get jacked lol..

But as for used car dealerships...I dunno about those independant ones..but maybe like the used car lot at T & T or other big name companies are better since u get warranties and stuff?Cuz I know they dont buy piece of shit cars and try to sell them to ppl..

CalgarySupra
04-01-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Speed_Dreams
I bought my car at atlantic auto sales and the guy was cool about it. He let me take if for an inspection and i drove the car for like 45min before i gave it back to him. I knew the timing belt needed to be replaced cuz the car had 200km on it. but other then that he was honest about everything. Good guy 2 he owns a Red TT 300ZX and a red Turbo Civic Hatch

thats my cousin for you :)

CalgarySupra
04-01-2004, 01:14 AM
T&T Honda, if any of you remmeber a while back they had a 88 supra turbo I believe in the bargain finder. i called them and asked how many Kilometres on it, the guy was so rude and was like WHAT DOES IT MATTER?

Skyline_Addict
04-01-2004, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Ducati

The best tactic is to Not Let On that you know anything. Ask questions that you already know the answers to, in order to gauge the salesmans' knowledge and honesty. Most car salesmen really dont know that much about cars - however some know a great deal.

Absolutely right. Your dealer's credibility is a key component to verify when buying a car. It gives you peace of mind when dealing and buying your car. You never want to walk away from a dealership second guessing your purchase.
Don't buy a car just because you like how it looks, or it's your favorite car.
Do your research!
You should be the one asking all the questions!
Additionally, you should know all the answers to them to!
See how much your dealer knows!
Only then will you be able to get some peace of mind.

Ducati
04-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Beware the Business Office - for they will attempt to ram expensive undercoatinh, rustproofing, scotchguarding, spiderproofing, and ghostbusting. They will try to sell you warranties on everything from the car, to your health, to your loosing your job, to this-car-will-get-you-laid insurance.
These insurance companies are masters at weaseling out of paying claims, and will close up shop and reopen under another name to defeat claims. The Business Office will charge you a "Documentation Fee", which is known in the business as "AIR", because it is NOTHING.
The Business Manager makes a kickback from the bank and will get you the highest rate possible, Not the lowest. 0%? That is just a come-on! Just Try to qualify for 0% financing.

The Business Manager makes more money than the poor schlub who sold you the car (whom, if you did your job and ground the guy, will get a "flat", or the minimum level of commission - which ranges from $100 to $200, depending upon the dealership.) Import dealerships are the least flexible in price and pay the lowest commission, and the domestics are the most flexible yet pay the best commission.

To give you an idea - if I sold a Sunfire for a good deal to some starving student whom I wanted to give a good deal to, I made a "Flat", which at Lansdowne GM was $150.
Yet, if I sold him a used 1998 Sunfire for $8800.00, I could make $600.00 .
I sold an old man a 2003 Buick Rendezvous at full pop, and took his immaculate 1999 fully loaded 3.8l. Buick Regal in at $18,000.
I made $635 for suckering the poor old guy into buying that rolling abomination called a Rendezvous. Then I sold his old Regal for $23,900 as it was incredible, and made nearly $1300.
Used Cars is where the real money is.
When I sold Mitsibishis, we had to give them away, as everyone thought they were Kia's or something. I made $100 a car. If I sold a Subaru anything at close to list I might make $400.
If I sold it for less, I made exponentially less.

It isn't the car salesman who is a rotten evil slime - it is the odious bastard that he works for who is a theif. The Sales Manager is always watching and listening, and the salesman lives in terror of this vampire, as someone gets fired every week just to keep the level of fear high, as there is always some other poor bastard getting out of jail on parole who really needs a job.

Redlyne_mr2
04-01-2004, 10:49 PM
The automotive industry in the west is Fcuked, thats really the only way to put it. There are very few true professionals in the sales industry, the dealers don't back up their sales staff and short term gross rather than long term profits are all the dealers seem to care about. In Ontario that form of archiac cars sales is over, the competition here is so great that dealers are going to huge lengths to make sure that they have professionals selling their cars. In doing this the sales man see value in their job which makes the stay with the dealer longer, work harder, and become more informed. This is turn greatly improves the service the customer is receiving.

20incheyes
04-02-2004, 08:33 PM
once again BS can be seen through threads, you ever lived in ON??????????? they got more people out east aka more swindlers, check out MTL, out here it's much harder to get yoruself into shit with a used car salesman than out east, but as nismo said better to trust a personnal then dealing with used stealerships

Alpine Autowerks
04-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
The automotive industry in the west is Fcuked,.

it's the same everywhere...

recently saw a ON vw corrodo with $ 200.00 safety inspection done week b4 from selling VW Dealer...wheels were rusted on..had to drill wheel bolts off. rear brakes were rusty (like dredged up fron sunken spanish gallieon rusty) and 2.5mm below legal min.

Redlyne_mr2
04-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by 20incheyes
once again BS can be seen through threads, you ever lived in ON??????????? they got more people out east aka more swindlers, check out MTL, out here it's much harder to get yoruself into shit with a used car salesman than out east, but as nismo said better to trust a personnal then dealing with used stealerships
I was refering to new car dealerships, sorry for any confusion, yeah the used car industry out here in the east is scary sooo many shady little chop shops out here.

20incheyes
04-03-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

I was refering to new car dealerships, sorry for any confusion, yeah the used car industry out here in the east is scary sooo many shady little chop shops out here.
cool cheers

Alpine Autowerks
04-04-2004, 12:58 PM
So was I, this was a VW dealer in St. Catherines. I have their inspection report. I don't think they lifted the hood.