PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Thailand right now?

wintonyk
03-18-2012, 10:39 AM
I just finished my Singapore contract and am now on contract in Bangkok for the next 60 days with option to renew for longer.

Wondering if anyone is in the area over the next couple months?

davidI
03-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Not in the area, but Bangkok is epic. Stay as long as you can.

Dumbass17
03-18-2012, 03:06 PM
epic?! you're high

l/l/rX
03-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
epic?! you're high

:werd: not a fan of bangkok at all. First time I went I thought it was a cool city, went there again last June and thought it epically sucked.

Dumbass17
03-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

:werd: not a fan of bangkok at all. First time I went I thought it was a cool city, went there again last June and thought it epically sucked.
yeah 3 days was more than enough for me there!

davidI
03-18-2012, 10:48 PM
^ Problem is, you guys haven't been long enough. I was through there 7 or 8 times for a few days and didn't think much of it...just another big city.

Had some passport issues at one point, met a hot blonde German girl and ended up spending a month there. :poosie: By the end of the month I had lots of expat friends there who had been for 2 or 3 years. They showed me all of the great things to do off the normal tourist track.

Been through 5 or 6 times since then for 4-10 days.

All I can say is, EPIC City.

Some of the best bars, restaurants, and clubs in the world (and believe me, I've checked out other hot spots). Biking in the Khlongs is awesome. Chilling at some of the expat hangouts outside of the Khao San and Siam areas is great too.

The only downfall is traffic in the evenings, but at least taxis are cheap!

J-D
03-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Do you need an assistant? Singapore and Thailand are both so much fun :drool:

davidI
03-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Wow...now I'm just day dreaming of Bangkok and can't believe how many people miss out on what it has to offer.

Be there for the Song Kran water fights and have a blast with the locals.

Get to know the tailors and your wardrobe will be sorted.

Take girls shopping to the Lumphini night market area and chill at the bar in the middle of the shops while the girls try on clothes and come to you to show them off. Enjoy checking out the other guy's gals show off while they enjoy yours.

Hit the movie theaters and enjoy your film on a couch, with a beer.

Get into the Muay Thai scene. Train at one of the many good local clubs.

Hit one of the many roof top patio bars, or amazing garden pool bars.

Such a great city. Singapore is great for food, F1, gambling, and the MRT, but otherwise lacks the fun of Bangkok.

davidI
03-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Oh yea, it's also a 1.5 hour trip from Koh Samet, and there are cheap flights all over SE Asia for weekend trips.

Would be the ideal place to live for a few years in my opinion.

wintonyk
03-19-2012, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by davidI
Wow...now I'm just day dreaming of Bangkok and can't believe how many people miss out on what it has to offer.

Get to know the tailors and your wardrobe will be sorted.

Take girls shopping to the Lumphini night market area and chill at the bar in the middle of the shops while the girls try on clothes and come to you to show them off. Enjoy checking out the other guy's gals show off while they enjoy yours.

Get into the Muay Thai scene. Train at one of the many good local clubs.

Hit one of the many roof top patio bars, or amazing garden pool bars.

Such a great city. Singapore is great for food, F1, gambling, and the MRT, but otherwise lacks the fun of Bangkok.

Been here a week so far, but keeping things tame for myself. My last 2 weeks in Singapore were ridiculous (my birthday tossed in there). Singapore doesn't have a crazy party scene by any means, but some of the clubs like Mink, Avalon and Pangaea are amazing. Singapore is very much a orwell 1884 utopia.

Will be doing up Songkran for sure. Trying to find a Muay Thai gym that is relatively close and finding time as well.

I think like many cities you just need to find the right people. In SG I found a group called internations and 1-2x a month it was a party of nearly 500 expats, great networking opportunity, I have an invite to Malaysian F1 at the end of the month, but can't make it (working).

Gold class movie theatres are amazing.

I think this coming weekend I will start hitting up the bars. Will try and post some of the shit that goes on.

My biggest complaints are of course traffic and pollution.

davidI
03-19-2012, 07:06 AM
Which area of Bangkok are you living in? May I ask what it is that you do that allowed you to work in SIN & now BKK?

Get down to Khao San for Songkran if you're in Bangkok, or get up to Chiang Mai (supposedly the best place for it). Bangkok will empty out as residents head back to their villages to celebrate. Get their early if you want to secure a table. Especially at Lucky's. Across the street from Lucky's is a good place too. They sell water guns down there. Make sure you can try before you buy!

I have a few contacts in Bangkok that can probably get you hooked into the local scene. Drop me a PM if if you want me to try and set something up. Couchsurfing.org is a good bet too, though I haven't met anyone there off that site. Unfortunately, the big group that I knew there from 2010 has mostly moved on...

There is a great gear wholesaler for Muay Thai equipment I discovered. I can't remember the name or where it is (an Emirates stewardess I ran into at MBK and one of the cabin crew she was flying with took me) but I can probably find out. The Muay Thai gyms usually sell decent equipment at a relatively good cost too. I'm not familiar with the gyms in Bangkok.

Traffic and pollution are definitely downsides. I still prefer Bangkok traffic over Calgary traffic though, since the Skytrain is so convenient and cheap to get around on.

I've got a decent tailor I can refer you to as well if you need threads.

Enjoy your time there!

wintonyk
03-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Which area of Bangkok are you living in? May I ask what it is that you do that allowed you to work in SIN & now BKK?

Get down to Khao San for Songkran if you're in Bangkok, or get up to Chiang Mai (supposedly the best place for it). Bangkok will empty out as residents head back to their villages to celebrate. Get their early if you want to secure a table. Especially at Lucky's. Across the street from Lucky's is a good place too. They sell water guns down there. Make sure you can try before you buy!

I have a few contacts in Bangkok that can probably get you hooked into the local scene. Drop me a PM if if you want me to try and set something up. Couchsurfing.org is a good bet too, though I haven't met anyone there off that site. Unfortunately, the big group that I knew there from 2010 has mostly moved on...

There is a great gear wholesaler for Muay Thai equipment I discovered. I can't remember the name or where it is (an Emirates stewardess I ran into at MBK and one of the cabin crew she was flying with took me) but I can probably find out. The Muay Thai gyms usually sell decent equipment at a relatively good cost too. I'm not familiar with the gyms in Bangkok.

Traffic and pollution are definitely downsides. I still prefer Bangkok traffic over Calgary traffic though, since the Skytrain is so convenient and cheap to get around on.

I've got a decent tailor I can refer you to as well if you need threads.

Enjoy your time there!

I am living just of Srinakarin near Seacon Square mall. Its maybe a $5 cab ride to Sukhumvit (which is expensive by thai cab standards).

I need to explore the area better to find a muay thai gym.

Khao san road it is for Song kran. I am pumped for it.

Sending you a PM for Tailor.

As for what I do. I know beyond will give me flack for it. But I am working as a model in Asia. It's an awesome way to travel and live care free. They pay for my living, flights, and I have a driver. Not to mention I spend day and night surrounded by beautiful women. I think when I am done in BKK I may be heading to Sydney.

davidI
03-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by wintonyk

As for what I do. I know beyond will give me flack for it. But I am working as a model in Asia. It's an awesome way to travel and live care free. They pay for my living, flights, and I have a driver. Not to mention I spend day and night surrounded by beautiful women. I think when I am done in BKK I may be heading to Sydney.

I am seething in jealousy you sukhumvit sunuvabitch.

Grogador
03-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Been in-n-out of BKK for a month between islands and Laos. Spending this weekend here, Cambodia on Monday for Angor Wat and some beachtime, then going up to Chiang Mai for Songkran :thumbsup:

Not a fan of Khao San road, it's ghetto (backpacker ghetto, so uber ghetto) and not really asian/thai. There's lotsa great Thai bars and clubs hidden around, even in sleepy little Ratchaprarop where I'm staying. I like being the only farang in the joint. Try Tawandang German Brewery, or I hear Royal City Ave is good for dance clubs fulla kids.

Go to Cactus bar on soi cowboy for the ribs, they're usually Tuesday nights but it changes. It's a small little hole with average girls but for 300 baht you get a plate of ribs the size of a Thai girl ;) with fries and corn and eggs or whatever John is cooking up that day

Gimmie a shout if you want we'll go for a Leo 0837194589

littledan
03-23-2012, 10:59 AM
shiet i just bought a bunch of muay thai gear! send me some top king shin guards and some twins grappling gloves nigga! i love you long time :poosie:

davidI
03-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Sorry dude, I owe you that contact hook-up. My ADSL line is down and FB is blocked at work. I'll get on it as soon as I have my external internet working again.

ddduke
03-23-2012, 11:45 PM

You must be joking me, the water fights are fun for the first 8 hours. After that you just want to stay dry, everywhere you go for days there are people throwing water on you, went to the gym at 5am and go soaked, bar at 11pm and got soaked. Can't even leave your room unless you want to be dripping wet and covered in mud. It was actually so irritating.

Movie theatres are sweet, except the popcorn is day old and stale.

davidI
03-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

You must be joking me, the water fights are fun for the first 8 hours. After that you just want to stay dry, everywhere you go for days there are people throwing water on you, went to the gym at 5am and go soaked, bar at 11pm and got soaked. Can't even leave your room unless you want to be dripping wet and covered in mud. It was actually so irritating.

Umm, embrace it or leave town. :dunno:

I spent 3 days loving life on Khao San road. Drinking beers and shooting water guns at hotties in bikinis. What's not to love? You sound like a cranky Grandpa who screams at kids when their ball ends up on your lawn. :facepalm:

davidI
03-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Sorry dude, I owe you that contact hook-up. My ADSL line is down and FB is blocked at work. I'll get on it as soon as I have my external internet working again.

Internet is up again. Msg'd you my buddies contact. He usually lives in Koh Tao but is in Bangkok a lot for business.

Him and his buds built this sick boat - I haven't been on it as it wasn't ready until March last year. Round up some hot models and go party with him! Not sure if they have it anchored in BKK or Koh Tao, but it looks pimp.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/315508_246581798717867_197588073617240_684673_1469902017_n.jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/311416_244003328975714_197588073617240_677924_1177015030_n.jpg
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/296403_244939682215412_197588073617240_680631_1620105734_n.jpg
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/307652_246582168717830_197588073617240_684679_1798035252_n.jpg
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/423467_10150739880092853_776137852_11636777_1563284306_n.jpg

ddduke
03-24-2012, 08:02 PM

Umm, embrace it or leave town. :dunno:

I spent 3 days loving life on Khao San road. Drinking beers and shooting water guns at hotties in bikinis. What's not to love? You sound like a cranky Grandpa who screams at kids when their ball ends up on your lawn. :facepalm:

I'm very far from actually. I thought it was a ton of fun but 3 days is soooooo long. I also wanted to get other things done and it's irritating when you're doing things like eating a meal and some hippy tourist shoots your food.

davidI
03-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

I'm very far from actually. I thought it was a ton of fun but 3 days is soooooo long. I also wanted to get other things done and it's irritating when you're doing things like eating a meal and some hippy tourist shoots your food.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

wintonyk
03-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Grogador sorry I was working all weekend. Didn't get a chance to do anything. Let me know if you are in town again. 0827054955 hell or anyone else thats here.

Turns out I might be getting sent to Vietnam for a few days in the middle of this week.

wintonyk
04-13-2012, 12:25 PM
So much for hardly working here in Thailand. I have been busy as hell, filmed 4 TV commercials since I got here. And next week will be doing a global one for LG.

In the meantime I just got back from a 2 day trip to laos, picked myself up a bottle of crazy snake/scorpion liquor.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/578640_529228211909_164800011_30767377_2139478050_n.jpg

Today was first day of Songkran. Spent the afternoon on Silom (essentially 1 km stretch of road closed off for massive water fight, fire trucks and all) then I spent the night partying at RCA. It was a huge soakfest there. My buddy had a go pro attached to the barrel of his supersoaker, should provide an interesting perspective of the day.

David, I think I may finally be meeting up with your buddy tomorrow. We are hitting up Khao San.

davidI
04-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk

David, I think I may finally be meeting up with your buddy tomorrow. We are hitting up Khao San.

Haha, excellent. Anders is a legend. You'll enjoy yourself.

You try that Scorpion wine yet? They sell shots of it at a street bar on Khao San if you want to give it a shot without opening the bottle. It tastes like Kerosene though.

e36bmw///
04-27-2012, 11:50 PM
nm

wintonyk
04-28-2012, 09:55 AM
you should be good. i had zero issues with my phone (motorola atrix) and my friend has a different blackberry. As long as you are unlocked and use thai sim card should be fine.

But for safe measure I will ask about your specific blackberry tomorrow.

adamc
04-30-2012, 01:34 AM
Just got back from 2 months in Indo (Sumatra/Java/Bali/Lombok) and Thailand (Bangkok, krabi, phi phi, phuket, etc.)

Loved Bangkok and if I could find a way to live there at least part of the year I definitely would, DavidI and Wintonyk know what's up.. :)

Stayed at the brand new Sofitel Grand Sukumviet which has only been open for a few weeks, a level of service I've never experienced before, it was really special and a great place to come back to after nights of fun on Soi Cowboy.

Sat ringside at Lumphini and saw some excellent Thai boxing, ate at the night markets around the stadium afterward, got drunk on chang and singha - most of the time starting out buying a bottle from 7-11 and sitting on the curb people watching.

Now sitting in L.A. all I can think about is being back there for a lot of the reasons already covered in this thread. So good.