PDA

View Full Version : What kind of new restaurant would you like to see?

Power_Of_Rotary
03-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Lived in calgary my whole life and spent 9 months in asia. In those 9 months Ive had the best and worst of all kinds of foods. The variety of foods I found over there was crazy and most westerners can eat them (not talking about dog meat).

So my question is, if you wanted to have one new restaurant open, what would it be? It could be something youve seen in other parts of the world or something that you made up.

I want to have good singaporean style chicken/chicken rice!

trieu
03-18-2012, 02:59 PM
I made a thread about chicken rice after I got home from Singapore. It'd be awesome if we had a place in Calgary :thumbsup:

1barA4
03-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by trieu
I made a thread about chicken rice after I got home from Singapore. It'd be awesome if we had a place in Calgary :thumbsup:

This city hates Sing/Malay food. Tropicana on Center St (where Tai Pan is now) used to do Sing/Malay food...but no one ate there.

The closest we'll get to laksa and chicken rice is the stuff out of the box (that Calgary Court and T.Pot serve).

LLLimit
03-19-2012, 04:11 PM
I was just thinking about assam laksa and roti canai/roti banana.

As good & quick as pho is, it would be nice to have a choice like that.

bourge73
03-19-2012, 05:29 PM
God damn do I want a place that does really good Fried Chicken, but to be honest a really good BBQ place. Other than the Pal this city sucks for good BBQ.

Disoblige
03-19-2012, 06:07 PM
A few of my ideas for Calgary:

An AYCE sushi place in Calgary that charges more, but delivers with quality yet is still profitable. Possible?

Let's say you charge $40 a person, that's still cheaper than 2 people eating at a better quality joint anyways. I'm sure if it is a good location and Vancouver-style quality (or better?), there will be a market for it here.

Korean style fried chicken that's not a small place like Olive Chicken here in Calgary. A full size restaurant that has big pieces of Korean fried chicken with multiple types of flavor (i.e. honey garlic, teriyaki, sweet chili, korean hot, etc.). There can also be a salad/soup bar as well.

As seen everywhere in USA and other countries, a frozen yogurt/gelato/ice cream shop that you can fill whatever toppings and flavors you want and you just pay weight of what you decide on. How is there not one in Calgary yet? Seriously?

project240
03-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by 1barA4

This city hates Sing/Malay food. Tropicana on Center St (where Tai Pan is now) used to do Sing/Malay food...but no one ate there.

The closest we'll get to laksa and chicken rice is the stuff out of the box (that Calgary Court and T.Pot serve).

It's actually Tropica... I loved that place. Everyone we're in Edmonton or Vancouver we always make a trip there.

Graham_A_M
03-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
God damn do I want a place that does really good Fried Chicken, but to be honest a really good BBQ place. Other than the Pal this city sucks for good BBQ.

I think you`d be at home doing a good tour of American cities. I seriously dont remember any of the places & food trucks I ate at when driving down to Portland Oregon (through Seattle), but holy fuck that stuff was off the hook good. Like NOTHING Ive had here since. I can honestly understand why obscenity is such an issue over there, considering how much awesome food you got for how little $$$.

project240
03-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

obscenity

:rofl:

bourge73
03-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Funny!, Leaving for Austin/Roundrock, TX to see my bro on Sunday for 2 weeks........ Rudy's and Salt Lick :drool: Also going to hit up some Food Trucks in Austin too!

ExtraSlow
03-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Korean style fried chicken that's not a small place like Olive Chicken here in Calgary. A full size restaurant that has big pieces of Korean fried chicken with multiple types of flavor (i.e. honey garlic, teriyaki, sweet chili, korean hot, etc.). There can also be a salad/soup bar as well.

Is SURA on 4th Street "authentic"? I know I like it, but I'm hardcore round-eye.

Disoblige
03-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Is SURA on 4th Street "authentic"? I know I like it, but I'm hardcore round-eye.
Been there once a long time ago. Food wise overall is alright, but people don't go there for the chicken.

Korean fried chicken is supposed to be fried to order, super hot on arrival, extremely crispy outside but so juicy inside. Honey garlic glazed, korean hot, whatever.. Wash it down with an ice cold beer. Life is good :D

http://softrice.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/05-mixed-combo-korean-fried-chicken.jpg

Edit: Oh yes and I agree with HiSpec. It's somewhat fusion, but I find authentic korean food to be on the bland side anyways.

HiSpec
03-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

No they are not authentic. I took my Korean co-worker there for a promotion celebration, and him and his wife said they way over emphasize on the flavors. Not real balance on flavors, more or less fusion, and tailored towards "gwai lo" taste.

blitz
03-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by project240

It's actually Tropica... I loved that place. Everyone we're in Edmonton or Vancouver we always make a trip there.

I was sad to see it go.

n1zm0
03-19-2012, 08:31 PM
a REAL thai place that serves authentic tom yum

Sorath
03-19-2012, 08:31 PM

Thats cause it sucked big time.

would like to see a restaurant with good singaporean/malaysian food

would also like to find a place that does good fried chicken and waffles

ExtraSlow
03-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec
tailored towards "gwai lo" taste.
Explains why I love it then, :thumbsup: :clap: :D

HiTempguy1
03-19-2012, 08:38 PM
I love pad thai. But my tastes aren't cultured (white boy from Red Deer), however if someone could make me a really authentic dish, I'd buy from them once a week for the rest of my life :love:

ExtraSlow
03-19-2012, 09:28 PM
No idea if it's authentic, but I really enjoy the Pad thai from Spicy Hut on Edmonton Trail.
Bangkoknoi on Centre Street is very tasty too, for a couple bucks more.

bignerd
03-19-2012, 09:49 PM
I would like to have another drive in like Peters, but with good food. Would be nice to have another place to hang out and sit outside sometimes in the summer.

cdnsir
03-19-2012, 11:52 PM
The real reason why we don't have good Chicken Rice here is cuz our chickens suck! Maybe it's the genes or whatever they are fed, but Chicken in Asia just taste better.

What I would like to see here is a lot more street food. Stop giving licenses for hot dog carts and let some creativity happen. Hell I'll even be happy if some street stands does the snacks from Stampede all year round.

n1zm0
03-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by cdnsir
What I would like to see here is a lot more street food. Stop giving licenses for hot dog carts and let some creativity happen. Hell I'll even be happy if some street stands does the snacks from Stampede all year round.

+1 food trucks are a great addition and all no doubt but make something like the richmond night market, all the ethnic cultures open up hawker stalls in the summer in one row so i can at least pretend that i'm back in asia eating a bowl of fried noodles with a stick of satay in one hand and a piece of roti canai in the other.

Originally posted by cdnsir
The real reason why we don't have good Chicken Rice here is cuz our chickens suck! Maybe it's the genes or whatever they are fed, but Chicken in Asia just taste better.

i think it's cause the chicken rice renditions here are mostly of the HK cafe variety, instead of the S'pore/M'sian, also it does have to do with the chickens since most of ours are leaner here, in asia they pick out the fattest ones and usually do the ice water dunk method, then save that fatty oil for the rice which = most of the flavour, i mean my mom has made it several times m'sian style but it's all about the fats that you save, which she throws out most of the time :(

1barA4
03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec

No they are not authentic. I took my Korean co-worker there for a promotion celebration, and him and his wife said they way over emphasize on the flavors. Not real balance on flavors, more or less fusion, and tailored towards "gwai lo" taste.

In Korean, wouldn't it be "miguk/me gook" taste? :D

In any case, I second the suggestion for a real BBQ place. Holy Smoke is mediocre (good for lunch but not if you want real BBQ), Big T's is garbage (except for the cute Aussie waitress who may not work there anymore) and Palomino's is the best but terrible compared to what I've had in Houston.

GQBalla
03-20-2012, 10:39 AM
A few of my ideas for Calgary:

As seen everywhere in USA and other countries, a frozen yogurt/gelato/ice cream shop that you can fill whatever toppings and flavors you want and you just pay weight of what you decide on. How is there not one in Calgary yet? Seriously?
Place called "spoon me"
i dunno if they sell gelato or ice cream but they sell frozen yogurt.

they sell sizes and give you fruit on top.

Disoblige
03-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

Place called "spoon me"
i dunno if they sell gelato or ice cream but they sell frozen yogurt.

they sell sizes and give you fruit on top.
That place is gone and heard that place was also shit (perhaps why it's gone too). Overpriced, mediocre yogurt for the hipster crowd in Kensington FTL.

GQBalla
03-20-2012, 10:47 AM
oh really?

yeah it was okay....went there with the gf last year.

it really had no taste..
HAHA

kvg
03-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Open a Pho Bich Nga in Calgary. The one in Vancouver had good food and a memorable name.

http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/141/0a28152b44644935849bbcc3cc8040b8/l.jpg

BananaFob
03-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by LLLimit
I was just thinking about assam laksa and roti canai/roti banana.

As good & quick as pho is, it would be nice to have a choice like that.

I would kill someone for decent Roti Canai in town.

Skyline_Addict
03-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Pepper Crap and Kang Kong Blachan

v2kai
03-20-2012, 02:54 PM
richmond night market idea would be sweet.

we need a banana leaf for chicken rice!!!!!
http://bananaleaf-vancouver.com/:drool:

trieu
03-20-2012, 03:03 PM
I forgot about Korean fried chicken, if you guys have ever tried Bon Chon it is the bomb! I've had it in New York and Virginia but there really is nothing like it in this city.

Neil4Speed
03-20-2012, 03:42 PM
We need a resteraunt that sells Kothu Roti around there. Delicious stuff

http://www.sixthseal.com/images/srilanka/Kothu%20Roti.jpg

Errol.
03-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
Pepper Crap and Kang Kong Blachan

I wonder what pepper craP taste like...
Had belachan kang kung last night :P

Blu
03-20-2012, 10:08 PM

That place is gone and heard that place was also shit (perhaps why it's gone too). Overpriced, mediocre yogurt for the hipster crowd in Kensington FTL.

Menchies is opening in Sundance

Disoblige
03-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Blu

Menchies is opening in Sundance
Awesome! But holy shit Sundance :guns:

msommers
03-20-2012, 10:45 PM
I would love to see an authentic French or Spanish restaurant that caters to regional diversity.

Blu
03-20-2012, 10:48 PM

Awesome! But holy shit Sundance :guns:

There's another one opening in Airdrie too I think... but that doesn't help you much if you're downtown haha :angel:

Isaiah
03-20-2012, 11:18 PM

Don't care about your post but your sig is pretty much gold.

HHURICANE1
03-21-2012, 08:26 AM
A real honest to god southern style BBQ place would be wicked. :drool:

sputnik
03-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
We need a resteraunt that sells Kothu Roti around there. Delicious stuff

http://www.sixthseal.com/images/srilanka/Kothu%20Roti.jpg

Taste of Sri Lanka in Banff.

Mibz
03-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Blu
Menchies is opening in Sundance Where? Can't find it on Google.

Disoblige
03-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Where? Can't find it on Google.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Unit+3107+++15+Sunpark+Plaza+SE+Calgary,+Alberta+T2X+3T2&hl=en&sll=30.175146,-85.802934&sspn=0.011724,0.026157&hnear=15+Sunpark+Plaza+SE+%233107,+Calgary,+Alberta+T2X+3T2,+Canada&t=m&z=16

Mibz
03-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Aw shit. Get me some Chachis and Menchies.

Kloubek
03-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Bacon. A place that serves only bacon.

That is all.

1barA4
03-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Don't care about your post but your sig is pretty much gold.

Cheers :clap:

Has anyone ever been to Barbados? They have a local chain called Chefette...they are like the Taco Bell of rotis...

You can get like an all beef roti, or beef and potato, etc...and it's dirt cheap!

lee88
03-21-2012, 02:21 PM
www.chinobandido.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkg6sKz7FnY

www.chompies.com

Been to both and it was amazing!
We need places like these in Calgary

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool::thumbsup:

msommers
03-21-2012, 10:44 PM

Cheers :clap:

Has anyone ever been to Barbados? They have a local chain called Chefette...they are like the Taco Bell of rotis...

You can get like an all beef roti, or beef and potato, etc...and it's dirt cheap!

Check out Joyce's Caribbean Foods on 1st ave and Edmonton Trail. Fantastic roti.

clem24
03-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by msommers
I would love to see an authentic French or Spanish restaurant that caters to regional diversity.

Mimo was decent for Spanish food though I am not aware what Spanish food actually is aside from paella LOL...

I would've said Mexican but we finally have an awesome Mexican place (Los Chilitos but only been to the one in the Farmer's market).

I really want Malaysian cuisine, and Thai (yes Thai SUCKS SHIT in Calgary). Also a Jamaican place (like Irie Foods in Edmonton).

Manhattan
03-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Panero bread even though its kinda expensive. Nice place to hangout and their sandwiches are :drool: . I think they have em in Van.

Also CARL'S JR. There's a Clive Burger opening on 17th soon whatever that is.

clem24
03-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Really!??! Carl's Jr.? I ate there once in Colorado and it was kind of gross. I have a feeling they might like Burger King - either you love the Whopper or you hate it (I hate it). I'd much rather eat at Five Guys.

89coupe
03-28-2012, 04:23 PM
I would love to see Joel Robuchon open a restaurant up here. But sadly Calgary doesn't have the sophistication to support it. Calgarians prefer cheap food and big portions, regardless of quality.

taemo
03-28-2012, 06:12 PM
as a flip
http://cdn3.wn.com/ph/img/78/6c/a89007f94d017bde4a72a56497ed-grande.jpg

Feruk
04-02-2012, 11:25 AM
I'd like to see a "Taste of Europe" type of restaurant. A restaurant that would select one classic representative dish per European country and nail down a good recipe. Prolly not every country, but you could do quite a few. So depending what you felt like, you could have some authentic souvlaki, or payella, or goulash, or shephard's pie, or perogies, or lamb, ect...

Originally posted by msommers
La Payella in downtown for Spanish already exists (if it's still open). There are lots of French themed restaurants, but the good ones are PRICY.

Myrrinda
04-17-2012, 12:17 PM
+1 for Panera Bread. I crave their 4 cheese souffles on a regular basis.

flipstah
04-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by taemo
as a flip

FUCK YES.

Markll7
07-09-2012, 12:57 AM
cafe lu/endthread

Manhattan
07-31-2013, 04:15 PM
Has anyone here been to Cafe Lu?

kenny
07-31-2013, 04:39 PM
For a food court somewhere: Self serve ramen bar. Gather up all the ingredients you want in a bowl and pay by weight then hand it the bowl to a "chef" that boils everything and adds broth+noodles to it.

DENZILDON
07-31-2013, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by taemo
as a flip

+2!!! Lol!!!!

jwslam
07-31-2013, 05:08 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/370704/hk-style-breakfast-in-nw/

Deetz
07-31-2013, 05:09 PM
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/03/35/4a/c4/sonic-drive-in.jpg