PDA

View Full Version : Anybody into local bands?

Nissan_Fanboy
03-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Hey guys, its been way to long since ive posted anything on beyond so i thought id start a discussion.
Anybody into local music?
I play in a local pop/punk band called For One More Day.

http://www.facebook.com/foronemoreday

There is quite a few good local bands out there, lets hear what everyone has to say!

The Braves is a great local band, Run Romeo Run (Ardrie) are fantastic.
Makeshift Innocence
The Elegance

Just played a show with them on friday. Fantastic show!

Lets hear it!

Graham_A_M
03-18-2012, 04:34 PM
I used to play bass for this local band called Train Bigger Monkey's. It was metal, which I like but they sucked and weren't going anywhere. So it was kind of a mutual fuck off. :dunno: Its funny their still doing shows at the same bars they always have... Nothing will ever change.
:rofl:

Beyond has its own band, With a few members on here. Check out that guitar discussion thread.

Rage - Guitars/vocals
Zipdoa - Drums
Bourge73 guitars
PD77 - Vocals.

I used to play with them, but I hate classic rock so that was kind of that.

Nissan_Fanboy
03-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I used to play bass for this local band called Train Bigger Monkey's. It was metal, which I like but they sucked and weren't going anywhere. So it was kind of a mutual fuck off. :dunno: Its funny their still doing shows at the same bars they always have... Nothing will ever change.
:rofl:

Beyond has its own band, With a few members on here. Check out that guitar discussion thread.

Rage - Guitars/vocals
Zipdoa - Drums
Bourge73 guitars
PD77 - Vocals.

Did by any chance you have a guitar player named Andrew? If i remember correctly

I'll have to check it out for sure!

Graham_A_M
03-18-2012, 05:15 PM
^ He was the bass player that replaced me. I think he's still with the band.
Not too sure what the line up is now for them.

I used to play with this other band before them called "Good lookin' out". It was a thrash metal band. Actually I enjoyed playing with them a fair bit as the songs were original and pretty damn good; but we had some serious commitment issues from the vocalist/head of the band. Finally after a year of jamming; ready to do some shows we were no farther ahead then we were when I first joined them, as half the time the vocalist wouldn't be there, yet it was him that needed the practice the most. So after a couple more months of this I left to join Train bigger monkeys.
Not the least bit surprised to find out that after I left the band tossed in the towel and broke up. I think the writing was on the wall for the last couple months leading up to myself leaving.

It was actually a post here on beyond by their former guitarist Rick, that notified me that they were looking for a bass player, so I got my amp & stuff from the old band's house and brought it all over to the lead singers house for TBM.

Not playing for anybody at the moment, I'd like to join a band (thats for once going places, other then these grungy old bars the odd once in a while) where I can really enjoy the music and generally get along with everybody. Seems like a tall order though, so I guess I have a lot more searching to do.

Nissan_Fanboy
03-18-2012, 05:46 PM
^ He was the bass player that replaced me. I think he's still with the band.
Not too sure what the line up is now for them.

I used to play with this other band before them called "Good lookin' out". It was a thrash metal band. Actually I enjoyed playing with them a fair bit as the songs were original and pretty damn good; but we had some serious commitment issues from the vocalist/head of the band. Finally after a year of jamming; ready to do some shows we were no farther ahead then we were when I first joined them, as half the time the vocalist wouldn't be there, yet it was him that needed the practice the most. So after a couple more months of this I left to join Train bigger monkeys.
Not the least bit surprised to find out that after I left the band tossed in the towel and broke up. I think the writing was on the wall for the last couple months leading up to myself leaving.

It was actually a post here on beyond by their former guitarist Rick, that notified me that they were looking for a bass player, so I got my amp & stuff from the old band's house and brought it all over to the lead singers house for TBM.

Not playing for anybody at the moment, I'd like to join a band (thats for once going places, other then these grungy old bars the odd once in a while) where I can really enjoy the music and generally get along with everybody. Seems like a tall order though, so I guess I have a lot more searching to do.

Wow seems like you got some history in the whole "metal" scene. Back when i was like 14-15, i was into Lithica, Verbal Deception, i think haha, Breed Of War.
Sorta moved out of that phase.
Its weird because i know the bands your talking about haha.

Funny how all that works. I myself have only been in a couple calgary bands that have made it past the basement jamming.

Alkaline Countdown
www.myspace.com/alkalinecountdown
and The Elegance
facebook.com/theelegancemusic

Alkaline Countdown broke up, and i had to leave the elegance due to personal reasons, then finally got back into the whole band thing in September and have never regretted one bit of it. I can't wait to get back into the studio and log some time.

For once i love doing what i do, and could see the band actually making it past the local community hall. we're already considering setting up western Canadian tour dates and what not. Not to become "successful" but just to play and do what we love, and share our music with everyone.

Graham_A_M
03-18-2012, 07:44 PM
^ Yeah see its that whole western Canada touring & doing what you love that I have yet to experience. Just listening to The Elegance songs now. I think you guys had a great thing going. You sounded a lot like that "Good lookin' out" when we were together, a fair bit better actually.

I'd be interested to hear what you guys are now doing.

You may have heard the band "Pure City", my buddy Matt was the guitarist for them. They recently broke up though, same with my old band Good looking out: it was problems with the vocalist.

Now hes doing a new band called Atomis. He's always doing music thats good. He played at the SAIT bar, I forget what its called... "The Gateway" is that it?

I've answered a few posts on Kijiji looking for bassists; but they got back to me with their demos, and they suck. :rofl: So that was a no-go. I should do that again in case there were new bands that are actually decent.

Nissan_Fanboy
03-19-2012, 09:34 AM
^ Yeah see its that whole western Canada touring & doing what you love that I have yet to experience. Just listening to The Elegance songs now. I think you guys had a great thing going. You sounded a lot like that "Good lookin' out" when we were together, a fair bit better actually.

You may have heard the band "Pure City", my buddy Matt was the guitarist for them. They recently broke up though, same with my old band Good looking out: it was problems with the vocalist.

Now hes doing a new band called Atomis. He's always doing music thats good. He played at the SAIT bar, I forget what its called... "The Gateway" is that it?

I've answered a few posts on Kijiji looking for bassists; but they got back to me with their demos, and they suck. :rofl: So that was a no-go. I should do that again in case there were new bands that are actually decent.

The Elegance is still up and running. I was shortly replaced and they've all moved on aloooot! My band is really good friends with them and we're playing a show on April 28th with them!

The Western Canadian Tour would just be such a fun experience and would ultimately make you grow as a musician and a person i think.

Surprisingly, the band im in right now has no commitment issues. We're all in this band 100%, i mean were looking at spending over 2000 worth of gear just for our practicing so we gotta be in this. That reminds me i have to put my car up for sale to pay for this shit ahahahaha.

Ill have to check a couple of those bands out for sure!
Why not man, answer a few ads, i used to do the whole be in bands with guys i met and its not as much fun as when your literally best friends with your bandmates.
I joined the band not knowing any one of these guys, and its actually unbelievable how well we all got along, and i haven't looked back. We've officially been together since December after a few member changes, starting from September.
I'm, definitively excited over the whole thing though.

JustinMCS
03-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Makeshift Innocence and Boy & gurL. I heard Makeshift when they opened for a small Boy & gurL concert at Wildrose Brewery.

http://www.boyandgurl.com

ae92gts
03-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Nissan_Fanboy
Hey guys, its been way to long since ive posted anything on beyond so i thought id start a discussion.
Anybody into local music?
I play in a local pop/punk band called For One More Day.

There is quite a few good local bands out there, lets hear what everyone has to say!

The Braves is a great local band, Run Romeo Run (Ardrie) are fantastic.
Makeshift Innocence
The Elegance

Just played a show with them on friday. Fantastic show!

Lets hear it!

Run romeo Run i actually just saw for the first time at an all ages shows last week. I actually went for green beers with the drummer (adam) on saturday.
My Fiance is their photgrapher, and specializes in band photography. Heres a link to her site, keep an eye open for run romeo run this week, www.hazzardousmaterial.com :thumbsup:

Nissan_Fanboy
03-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by JustinMCS
Makeshift Innocence and Boy & gurL. I heard Makeshift when they opened for a small Boy & gurL concert at Wildrose Brewery.

http://www.boyandgurl.com

Jesse, from Makeshift is one of the funniest guys ive met. ahaha after one show we played we talked we rofled for like 2 hours after ahahaha

Originally posted by ae92gts

Run romeo Run i actually just saw for the first time at an all ages shows last week. I actually went for green beers with the drummer (adam) on saturday.
My Fiance is their photgrapher, and specializes in band photography. Heres a link to her site, keep an eye open for run romeo run this week, www.hazzardousmaterial.com :thumbsup:

Was that on the 16th? Because if so we played that show! hahaha
And Adam is definitely one of the chillest guys Ive met!

EDIT:
Defs was the show, by any chance did you see us play?

LINKY:
http://www.hazzardousmaterial.com/music.php

Also us playing!
LINKY:

We're recording this song, end of the month
hvsbvp7fy9k&feature=related

xnvy
03-22-2012, 08:44 PM
I've listened to these guys but only recently learned they are from Calgary.
lZWZPZqJRoI

sdevils15
03-23-2012, 09:14 AM

You are not Kevin are you? I all so know RM of now defunct Pure City, was he the issue?

Graham_A_M
03-23-2012, 08:07 PM
^ My name's Graham; as my username implies ;).... Kevin was the drummer. I play bass and always have.

Kevin is good friends with the vocalist, so to the two of them: everybody else is replaceable... which seems to be the case as they're the only two original members left. :rofl:
Like I say with Kevin still in the band I wouldn't be saying I broke up with them a couple years ago.

For "RM" of pure city, yeah he was a huge part of the issue so I've heard from their closest fans and whatnot. I dont want to speak on their behalf as I was never a part of their band but from what I've heard it was falling apart thanks to his "antics" shall I say. (Im Being *very* polite here)

Too bad, they had a great thing going. Atomis is a really cool project. I'd love to see where that goes.

Shit I almost forgot. My elementary school best friends younger brother Richard is also the guitarist for Seventh Rain. Kind of funny.... my first band experience was when I was 13, playing guitar, with his older brother on the drums.
Funny how everything snow-balled from those days.

LadyLuck
03-27-2012, 11:57 AM

Yep...I book for the Gateway. And Atomis has played our room a few times in the past, great guys and cool show.

Here's a video I took IIRC it was their first show as Atomis, at the Gate.

Jxfjq5ZZI2U

MrSector9
03-27-2012, 08:01 PM
I played the bass with these fine gentlemen when the band first started, it has gone through a few changes but for the most part it still is the same "style" so to speak.

lbs1EV7GZEY

JMaj7
04-06-2012, 04:06 PM
This is an original track. We are a start up band tryin to find good events or venues to gig at... any leads?

63aWak7xfbs

b_t
04-07-2012, 03:49 PM
I saw a local band called Beer Drinking Fighting Machine last week... they were awesome. Been looking to get into a band as well, I play guitar.. I write my own stuff but its all super hard to perform. just want to be in a good times fun band

Graham_A_M
04-07-2012, 04:06 PM
^ Crazy, we should get together for a jam at some point.

Originally posted by JMaj7
This is an original track. We are a start up band tryin to find good events or venues to gig at... any leads?

63aWak7xfbs

You guys sound great! You should email places like Verns, or Morgan's (etc) and email them the URL for that youtube clip. There are lots of pubs/bars/taverns that I think would be interested in having you guys. After you guys do a couple shows and have that under your belt you may want to approach chains like Original Joes and the like. There are tons of places in Calgary & area that are looking for good local talent.
Hopefully you guys have a set list though, I dont think too many places would be interested unless you guys can be on stage for at least 30min performing.

JMaj7
04-07-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm glad you like the sound. We are in recording phase right now but the guys really to want start gigging. We have about an hour among the band and about three if we start switching instruments around. We have stripped down versions of our set and sometimes I bring out my MPC and perform in the form of a freestyle. Here's another promo video we did just to start gigging.

2teNE1TY-X4

OCDP
04-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Here seems like as good a place as any to post ...

I'm currently looking for people to jam with, been playing drums for 12 years and haven't had a band for about a year or so.

I've got a heated garage with room to play. I'm open to mostly any style.

I'll try and dig up some of our old stuff and post it. Played one gig at Vern's in 2007.. then we broke up haha.

theken
04-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Obey the fist. A buddy of mine is the bass player. I like them

b_t
04-08-2012, 03:28 PM
If some of you guys want to jam, I'd be down... I play mostly metal. been playing 7 string guitars since the 90s hahah.. some of my stuff...

this is my fav
http://soundcloud.com/cody-templeton/what-was-green-jan27

one of my tunes with vocals
http://soundcloud.com/cody-templeton/the-host-w-vox-03

I've been recording and mixing my own stuff for a few years now too. learned a lot of tricks from Sacha who plays guitar for Divinity and just set up a studio of his own awhile back.

Nissan_Fanboy
04-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by b_t
If some of you guys want to jam, I'd be down... I play mostly metal. been playing 7 string guitars since the 90s hahah.. some of my stuff...

this is my fav

I've been recording and mixing my own stuff for a few years now too. learned a lot of tricks from Sacha who plays guitar for Divinity and just set up a studio of his own awhile back.

I love that stuff! Sounds good for your own mixing and what not

Graham_A_M
04-08-2012, 05:40 PM
^ Word... The first clip is fucking bad ass.... wow. Im all about the extended range guitars too, I have 6 & 7 string basses. :poosie:

b_t
04-09-2012, 01:44 PM
haha the first one took me three years to write tho. I came up with the two main riffs a long time ago and never could find anything else that did them "justice" so it just sat unfinished until suddenly inspiration struck.

glad you guys like em though. I've got a bunch of older tracks on my old Soundclick page http://www.soundclick.com/temps/

pretty hit and miss quality wise.. Requited's pretty good. needs re-recorded tho.

There Were People Here is badass, the version with vocals I did with the guy who was fronting Lies from Elysium for awhile. not sure what he's been up to. the first half of the tune is ehh but it all clicks about two minutes in I think it is, never recorded with that guy again tho so we weren't able to polish it up.

Nissan_Fanboy
05-21-2012, 03:17 PM
We finally got our song finished up!

http://www.bandpage.com/foronemoreday
http://www.reverbnation.com/foronemoredayband

Let me now what you think.

ZEDGE
05-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by b_t

this is my fav

Wow. That is some seriously good stuff. :thumbsup:

I am probably dating myself, back in 'my day' we followed a few local bands. Mostly playing at victoria Hall, Franky and Johnys north/south, or westward club, those were our hangouts.

Joker - (Don't think me and my buddy missed a single show by these guys haha. "Balzac Boogie!'

Beyond Possession - One of the best ever punk/metal bands.

There were a couple more can't remember at the moment.. getting old.

Darkane
05-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Divinity

aaronck
05-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Local punks Downway will be doing a one off show opening for Face to Face, and their pals Belvedere just played a show at Dickens pub, both pretty awesome Calgary bands, although both pretty much broken up.

Mibz
05-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by aaronck
Local punks Downway will be doing a one off show opening for Face to Face, and their pals Belvedere just played a show at Dickens pub, both pretty awesome Calgary bands, although both pretty much broken up. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! Awesome.

Darkane
05-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! Awesome.

Was Chris Foster drumming for Belvedere?

Nick Foster his brother plays Bass in Divinity.

EDIT: Meant to quote aaronck

Graham_A_M
05-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by aaronck
Local punks Downway will be doing a one off show opening for Face to Face, and their pals Belvedere just played a show at Dickens pub, both pretty awesome Calgary bands, although both pretty much broken up.

LOL, I remember back in highschool for a buddies birthday I tried to get Belvedere to come to our school and do a show.... but I wasn't allowed, for a myriad of retarded reasons. :thumbsdow :rolleyes:

I'd love to see them, thats for sure.

JMaj7
05-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Hey guys!

My band, "The Rondel Roberts Band" has a debut gig with "The Drive"(a metal/hard rock band) at Studio 37 on June 9th, 2012. It's Studio 82's (the old Rusy Cage) other location. We are doing a set there and hoping get some contacts or offers. Please consider this my cordial invite to beyond!

We're also performing with "Race the Sunset", "3 Head Cobra", "Sharp Hill" and "Run Romeo Run" on June 10th at:

The Bert Church LIVE Theatre

1010 East Lake Blve, Airdrie, AB T4A 0H5

www.facebook.com/rondelmusic

W6gzAQB6pjg

Nissan_Fanboy
06-19-2012, 11:39 AM
got the full single up on itunes!

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/by-your-side-single/id536633986

ae92gts
06-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Nissan_Fanboy

Jesse, from Makeshift is one of the funniest guys ive met. ahaha after one show we played we talked we rofled for like 2 hours after ahahaha

Was that on the 16th? Because if so we played that show! hahaha
And Adam is definitely one of the chillest guys Ive met!

EDIT:
Defs was the show, by any chance did you see us play?

LINKY:
http://www.hazzardousmaterial.com/music.php

Also us playing!
LINKY:

We're recording this song, end of the month
hvsbvp7fy9k&feature=related

Sorry for the very late response, but no i didnt manage to catch yours guys show, me and the wife got there in time just to shoot RRR (she is the busiest person i have ever met lol) But i will definatly keep my eye open for you guys!! we are at alot of local band shows (for photography and personal entertainment)

keep me posted on your next shows, i will check you out for sure. My wife also likes to shoot and write review on deserving local bands, so keep your eyes on her site to see if she snuck you guys in :thumbsup:

flipstah
06-19-2012, 12:14 PM

Rage - Guitars/vocals
Zipdoa - Drums
Bourge73 guitars
PD77 - Vocals.

Fact: Rage2 can play War Pigs on the LP while drifting his CBS with Zip on the rooftop, Bourge on the hood, and PD77 in the passenger seat screaming.

I saw it all.

GO BEYOND! :thumbsup:

A|pine
06-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Local bands, surprised nobody has mentioned this. This week is Sled Island, they have some pretty cool line ups and venues for local / indy artists and bands.

http://www.sledisland.com/

JMaj7
06-22-2012, 08:30 PM
I joined a band called "Empire" which consists of a classically trained keys player/vocalist named Kate, a jazz trained drummer named Sanah and a bassist who's black (hehe). We are doing a 45 minute set at Shamrock tomorrow at 7 if you guys want to check us out. We have a full set at The Grey Eagle Casino on July 1st.

The Rondel Roberts Band is doing "The Blind Beggar" on July 20th and at an outdoor event in Airdrie on September 8th.