PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle trunk bags

ZZT23
03-18-2012, 08:01 PM
So this past new years eve I bought myself a new Kona Blast from bow cycle. Now that the weather is getting a bit warmer I want to start commuting to school. Aside from my school bag, I will also need my lunch, a changing set of clothes and possibly towels and stuff for shower.

I saw the Topeak Dynapack DX trunk pack and I fell immediately in love. It's so sleek it looks like a trunk box you would find behind a vespa or something. Too bad it will cost a bit more than what I'm willing to pay at the moment and it will be on my wishlist for a while.

Can anyone recommend me a cheap large trunk bag/ rack? Kind of reluctant on getting a pannier since I heard it will affect balance but I have no idea how bad it really be. Price would be one of the biggest thing I am interested about.

TIA

msommers
03-18-2012, 09:08 PM
On topic of bags/covers, does anyone know if there is such a thing that will cover your bike(s) if you're using a trailor hitch?

flipstah
03-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Pannier would not affect balance if it's not TOO heavy. Usually they come in pairs so you can evenly put stuff on both...

I got mine from MEC and I love it! Sucks though because the pannier blocks the folding ability so I only have one installed.

megavolt
03-19-2012, 09:56 AM
I've never had a problem with panniers, even when loaded up heavy and unevenly.

What kind of balance issues are you thinking you'll encounter? How long is your commute?

ZZT23
03-19-2012, 10:07 AM
45 min to an hour commute. Not sure how unbalance it will be but I don't plan to load it very heavily at all.

Edit: 45 min to an hour commute.

98type_r
03-19-2012, 11:11 AM
I would think twice about that Topeak trunk bag, seems like it would fill up in a hurry and seatpost bags/racks have a limited weight capacity.

The only time a pannier would affect anything is when you have front mounted racks on the forks.

ZZT23
03-20-2012, 12:02 AM
So I have purchased the planet bike versarack today for $20. It's one of the few rear racks that will fit a disc brake bike, and it is the cheapest of the few. The panniers in mec are however a tight fit in the rack due to the slightly thicker tubing used on this rack. My original plan was to get a tail bag/ something that will sit on top of the rack though. Anyhow I'm sure some pannier will still fit this rack.

Next challenge is find a big cheap bag to put on the rack.