PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioner Recharge

Greek Wizard
03-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Hi guys,

Recently got my heater core replaced in my Jeep Cherokee after it started leaking, and to do so the air Conditioner had to be purged.

Does anyone have any recommendations of where I can get it recharged/refilled again?

Prefer SE (Foothills Industrial), but can go anywhere if needed.

Note: I want a pro to do it, not interested in buying the kits from Canadian Tire, etc.

Thanks.

Kloubek
03-19-2012, 10:03 AM
...just want to confirm: Is the newer R134 AC coolant or the older R12 coolant? Makes a big difference as to where/how you get it filled...

Tomaz
03-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Auto Temp Air and Sound should be able to do it. They advertize it all the time.

Greek Wizard
03-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
...just want to confirm: Is the newer R134 AC coolant or the older R12 coolant? Makes a big difference as to where/how you get it filled...

I would say older, it's a 2001

Originally posted by Tomaz
Auto Temp Air and Sound should be able to do it. They advertize it all the time.

Thanks, thought about them after I posted, called them for an estimate, they said about $200.

mo_money2supe
03-19-2012, 12:19 PM
If it's as new as an '01, then it's definitely a R134A coolant system.

As for your quote, that seems a little high. When I charged my Civic back in the day, it was only $150 at the dealership!

Mibz
03-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Pretty sure 97+ Cherokees are 134A

Greek Wizard
03-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
If it's as new as an '01, then it's definitely a R134A coolant system.

As for your quote, that seems a little high. When I charged my Civic back in the day, it was only $150 at the dealership!

Originally posted by Mibz
Pretty sure 97+ Cherokees are 134A

I assumed 11 years old as not new, as truly I have no idea on stuff like this.

I called Courtesy Chrysler and they want $225, so I guess $200 is about right, so I am going to get it done at Polar Mobility in the foothills (Barlow & 76 Ave) who are next door to where I work and quoted me approx $200 because they are changing some filter.

I should add that AutoTemp's quote was actually $180 plus taxes, Courtesy's is $225 plus taxes. Picking Polar because they will work on it while I am working.

I will reply back after it's done in case anyone else is interested.

Deetz
03-19-2012, 05:32 PM
I have never understood why people pay so much for a simple a/c recharge. Last summer i needed a recharge for my 14 year old civic. I stopped by Pricess auto, picked up a kit for $50, came home, give it a quick charge, and 5 mins later...COLD! :)

Once you have the kit, there is an extra bottle for next time, as well, extra cans only cost $15-20, so cheap!

For people who think "i don't know how to do that" it is very easy, and there are many vids up on utube for the very simple procedure

Rat Fink
03-19-2012, 05:37 PM

Zero102
03-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Deetz
I have never understood why people pay so much for a simple a/c recharge. Last summer i needed a recharge for my 14 year old civic. I stopped by Pricess auto, picked up a kit for $50, came home, give it a quick charge, and 5 mins later...COLD! :)

Once you have the kit, there is an extra bottle for next time, as well, extra cans only cost $15-20, so cheap!

For people who think "i don't know how to do that" it is very easy, and there are many vids up on utube for the very simple procedure

Do you understand the different types of oils required? The importance of drawing a vacuum on the system? The difference between orifice tube and expansion valve systems when it comes to parts that should be replaced? You didn't fix the leak on your system from the sound of it, so you are essentially venting duracool to the atmosphere as that is the only refrigerant that princess auto sells, which without evacuating the existing refrigerant means you have mixed refrigerants which is another terrible idea...

Don't give advice on things you don't understand, please.

Greek Wizard
03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Deetz

While I am sure it's a simple procudure and cheaper , it did not interest me for many reasons.

Originally posted by Rat Fink

Because those gay little kits aren't aways 134A. A lot of times it's a shit mix of anything including propane, which means your A/C system may now be filled with a combustible gas. Also, the "pros" will do a full vacuum on your system which draws out any moisture that may be in your system. Minimum vacuum time is around 30 minutes but I try to do it as long as I can (closer to an hour). This means there won't be any corrosion forming moisture in your system.

Now, if you have your car serviced at a shop, you are going to contaminate their refrigerant tanks with that gay shit mix you put in your car. Also, if those cans of crap you put in there have any kind of sealant additive you may end up with a clogged up system, requiring a possible replacement of your ENTIRE A/C system.

Those are the reasons..

Polar could not give me an exact quote, because I was told they would be vacumming for an hour, maybe up to hour and a half, depending what they find.

The cost of the coolant is minimal ($7 or $17 per pound or something, and I need 1.5 or close he though)

The extra cost is to do it correctly (test, vaccuum, filter, peace of mind)

My wife works for Marks, which is owned by CTC so considering I have a 15% discount at anything at Canadian Tire or Parts Source (even sale prices), I could have done it even cheaper than you ($40ish), and although I am no mechanic, I am sure I could have done it via instructions, but since I have had this vehicle since new (5 km), and the AC was still working perfectly until the heater core had to be replaced (no AC leaks or issues), $200 is a small price to pay to make sure it's done correctly.

I like saving money just like the other guy, maybe more so , but pros are pros for a reason, I want it done the correct way so it can maybe last another 5 years. Vehicle has 111,000 kms and is close to perfect condition, especially how it runs.

Vehicle is over getting done now, I am hoping the $200 estimate is exact, but will update when I get it back.

gogreen
03-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

Because those gay little kits aren't aways 134A. A lot of times it's a shit mix of anything including propane, which means your A/C system may now be filled with a combustible gas. Also, the "pros" will do a full vacuum on your system which draws out any moisture that may be in your system. Minimum vacuum time is around 30 minutes but I try to do it as long as I can (closer to an hour). This means there won't be any corrosion forming moisture in your system.

Now, if you have your car serviced at a shop, you are going to contaminate their refrigerant tanks with that gay shit mix you put in your car. Also, if those cans of crap you put in there have any kind of sealant additive you may end up with a clogged up system, requiring a possible replacement of your ENTIRE A/C system.

Bingo. Some of the kits are a mix of propane and butane. Sure, it will work as a refrigerant (older refrigerators used to run on it, in fact) but imo it's a bandaid fix. Inefficient too, as it's extremely difficult to get a full charge into the system without drawing vacuum on it first.

Also if it leaks out while the engine is running it can be sucked into the intake manifold, which will cause a spike in engine rpm (insert naaaws/mad scientist/fried piston rings joke here).

But the key point as Rat Fink pointed out is the leak sealer. It clogs the recycling machines so pros won't want anything to do with your system after using that stuff.

Greek Wizard
03-20-2012, 04:20 PM
OK, Final Update...

Just picked it up the vehicle from Polar Mobile, and they charged me $199.20 taxes included ($181.xx plus taxes), so just $6 more than Auto Temp and about $40 cheaper than dealer. Well worth it to me just for the location.

Very professional and friendly staff.

I will be going back there again if needed.

Thanks to all that gave throughts/opinions, especially on why not to use the DIY canisters.

Maybe this thread can help someone in the future.

megavolt
03-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Those DIY cans are fine if you've got an ancient R12 system that you don't want to shell out the cash to retrofit to R134. Did it on my old cavalier. But my new cars I definitely wouldn't put that shit in.