PDA

View Full Version : FYI: New Secret Street Rules. Now IHRA

Hollywood
02-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Secret Street Rules & Regs
2004 Race City Motorsport Park
Secret Street Rules & Regulations

INTENT
The intent of Secret Street is to provide an opportunity for street racers and drag enthusiasts to race their cars in an appropriate environment at Race City, thereby reducing the amount of racing on the streets of Calgary.

CONCEPT
To provide an informal racing environment which makes it easy for anyone to participate. It is designed to allow people to race against anyone they wish to — grudge matches are welcome!

RULES

Vehicles participating must be ‘Street Legal', properly licensed and insured, with complete working muffler systems. No open headers will be allowed. The maximum noise level is 95 db at 50 feet at 3500 RPM. Cars may be brought to the track on trailers, but must be street legal. All vehicles must have an operational taillight and headlight. Slicks are allowed.

Events held after 10:00 PM at night are required to provide minimal noise. If Race City violates this By-law, the facility may lose its license to operate.

All cars will be ‘teched’ in accordance with IHRA safety regulations. Tech director has the discretion to allow or disallow cars or bikes to run based on safety considerations.

This will be a ‘back-gate’ event whereby all participants and spectators will enter through one gate.

Fees are $10.00 per car; $10.00 per driver; non-participant cars N/C. Spectators $5.00 each.

Gates will open at 6:30 PM; tech will start at 7:00 PM and be open until 10:30 PM. Secret Street events will begin at 9:00 PM and run until 1:00 AM, depending on the number of participants and level of interest.

Concessions will be open from 8:00 PM through 1:00 AM, provided sufficient demand warrants these hours. Racers are welcome to come to the track early and have some great track food for supper, plus snacks later!

Absolutely NO alcohol will be allowed or sold. Any racer, spectator or participant violating this rule risks jeopardizing the success of this event. Security will be on site to enforce this rule. Self-policing is expected from participants. Anyone caught with illegal substances (drugs) or alcohol will be immediately ejected.

Secret Street will be ‘heads-up’ starts. Separate time slips will be provided.

Competitors may run against whom they want, when they want - excluding bikes against cars. Participants are not allowed to switch vehicles. You may only run the car you signed the tech card for. Number of runs is strictly dependent on how many racers turn out.

All competitors must have a valid Drivers License. All vehicles must be properly licensed and insured (See Addendum A).

It is expected that racers will help with track clean-up should a major spill occur. Hence, Race City expects some street racers to join the volunteer group to learn the basics.

The water box will be used at the racer’s discretion and long burnouts will not be permitted.

Track safety rules will be strictly enforced (i.e. return lane speeds, no stunting in the pits, etc.). Maximum 30 km/h on the return road.

All participants will be required to sign the Race City waiver at Tech at each race event.

Race participants should buy the 2004 IHRA rulebook, as there are changes from previous years. New entrants should call Race City with questions regarding a vehicle.

All participating cars, trucks, etc., must be equipped with two throttle return springs. Other basic safety features include, but are not limited to: tires in good condition with all lugnuts in place, operational drivers seatbelt, operational neutral safety switch, radiator overflow, and a properly secured battery (no bungee cords).

All racers must have an approved helmet SNELL 90 or better (IHRA Rulebook). Minimum clothing requirements are long pants, t-shirt with sleeves, and runners. Open-toed shoes, tank tops, shorts and nylon pants are prohibited.

Motorcycle racers must have a full face helmet SNELL 90 or better (IHRA Rulebook). The minimum for protective clothing includes a leather or Kevlar jacket, leather boots/shoes above the ankle, and leather gloves. For motorcycles running 10.99 seconds or quicker, or 120 MPH or faster, refer to the 2004 IHRA Rulebook (page 93) for protective clothing requirements.

Slicks are allowed. Driveshaft loop required on all cars using racing slicks.

All cars with Nitrous Oxide Systems, refer to the 2004 IHRA Rulebook (General Regulation, page 114).

All cars with non-OEM fuel lines, refer to the 2004 IHRA Rulebook (General Regulation, page 111).

All cars with a relocated battery must have a master cut-off switch. See the 2004 IHRA Rulebook (General Regulation, page 114).

illeagle
02-01-2004, 05:51 PM
and they wonder why people street race...

Maxt
02-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Exactly... call it secret street then make the rules so steep only people who built the car for 1/4 mile intentions can ever compete...
http://cmw.dailymoviereviews.com/contrib/ruinkai/flipa.gif
Fuck RCMP.....Maxt

88CRX
02-01-2004, 07:36 PM
battery cut off :thumbsdow

thats the only reason why i havent moved mine.

Z_Fan
02-01-2004, 07:52 PM
What about the rules about 'times'...

Like if you are faster than 12 seconds you need a roll bar? Is that still in effect? Or if you are faster than 12 you need a drive shaft loop even if you are on street tires...

And what is the rule they are talking about...

All cars with Nitrous Oxide Systems, refer to the 2004 IHRA Rulebook (General Regulation, page 114).

What's the rule?

Redlyne_mr2
02-01-2004, 08:09 PM
95db? Thats not very loud is it? not good for the big blocks or turbos with straight pipe exhaust

Maxt
02-01-2004, 08:16 PM
All racers must have an approved helmet SNELL 90 or better (IHRA Rulebook). Minimum clothing requirements are long pants, t-shirt with sleeves, and runners. Open-toed shoes, tank tops, shorts and nylon pants are prohibited.

And a man can't race in Birkenstocks and a leisure suit... c'mon, now they are fashion police as well...maxt

962 kid
02-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
What about the rules about 'times'...

Like if you are faster than 12 seconds you need a roll bar? Is that still in effect? Or if you are faster than 12 you need a drive shaft loop even if you are on street tires...

And what is the rule they are talking about...

What's the rule?

I'm pretty sure that that one has been lowered a bit

Hollywood
02-01-2004, 08:38 PM
Roll bar rule:

no rollbars until you hit 11.50 instead of 12.00.

Originally posted by 88CRX

Fore sure.

Redlyne_mr2
02-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Maxt

And a man can't race in Birkenstocks and a leisure suit... c'mon, now they are fashion police as well...maxt
I remember one night at SS i was up next in line just about to stage and marshall wouldnt let me continue because I had a tshirt on. it was 26 degrees out, I had to take my helmet off run get out of the car and get a sweatshirt out of my trunk, what a stupid rule..why I sweatshirt thats just another thing to catch on fire should something happen

dcoultis
02-01-2004, 09:20 PM
and they didnt state that if your insurance is not in your name on your car, you must have a note stating you have permission to race

Toms-Celica
02-01-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

I remember one night at SS i was up next in line just about to stage and marshall wouldnt let me continue because I had a tshirt on. it was 26 degrees out, I had to take my helmet off run get out of the car and get a sweatshirt out of my trunk, what a stupid rule..why I sweatshirt thats just another thing to catch on fire should something happen

Exactly, better you be wearing the sweater and it catch on fire than your skin
:)

Hollywood
02-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by dcoultis
and they didnt state that if your insurance is not in your name on your car, you must have a note stating you have permission to race

"All competitors must have a valid Drivers License. All vehicles must be properly licensed and insured (See Addendum A). "

So Addendum A might have more rules.

This is the wierd one IMO (this is a secret street rule not IHRA);

"Vehicles participating must be ‘Street Legal', properly licensed and insured, with complete working muffler systems. No open headers will be allowed."

So dont bring a real race car to race????WTF?

TypeS
02-01-2004, 10:59 PM
what's with all the whining?? I always thought secret street was a great program! you can actually CHALLENGE your buddy to a drag race and not have to totally REWORK your car to meet safety standards or anything.....10 bucks to get your a$$ on an official dragstrip and show your looser friend his civic CAN'T beat your vette, or whatever the hell your driving...it's a nice chill night where you can take your car out, no matter how crappy, or decent it is and LET IT RIP!

Now if your running No2 or running 11.50, your OBVIOUSLY a drag enthusiast, who can enter events other than these and compete against similar cars (except for the bozos that put nitrous in their cars just to mess around on the street) So you really don't NEED to go crash everyone elses party!

EK 2.0
02-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
95db? Thats not very loud is it? not good for the big blocks or turbos with straight pipe exhaust

That will suck cause I KNOW my 3.5 inch straight pipe is louder than that...

good thing its coming out the side of the Talon cause they measure from the rear...

Moe Man
02-01-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood
Roll bar rule:

Fore sure.

what if you have a 2004 viper...you have too put rollbars on it.

i would be pissed if ihave to do that to my 2004 viper:bullshit:

buh_buh
02-01-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man

what if you have a 2004 viper...you have too put rollbars on it.

i would be pissed if ihave to do that to my 2004 viper:bullshit: a stock 2004 Viper won't run under 11.50 so you wouldn't have to.

88CRX
02-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by TypeS
what's with all the whining??

the whole point of the program is to get racing off the street and on the track, right?

they why dont they run it like it were a so called "street race"

who cares whether they have the battery relocated to the trunk? last year multiple people were turned away cause they didnt have a battery cut off switch. why :dunno:

"cause its the rules" i was told. bs.

now if there turning away people that are leaking coolant or oil all of the track now thats different, but come on.

THREE40SEVEN
02-01-2004, 11:50 PM
Roll bar rule:

Where did you read this? Do you know exactly what is required for 11.50's and higher?

Edit... I found what i was looking for...

rice_eater
02-01-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

thats the only reason why i havent moved mine.

ahhh...good thing you reminded me :banghead: completely that forgot i had to wire that in. I think it's pretty damn silly but whatever

rice_eater
02-01-2004, 11:58 PM
do you HAVE to have the car insured? That's pretty retarded...i probably wont be able to afford insurance on my car this summer so i'm gonna have to trailer it to the track. Why would i need insurance??? Racing at the track isn't covered by it anyways...fuckin eh:guns: :guns: :guns:

Hollywood
02-02-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN

Where did you read this? Do you know exactly what is required for 11.50's and higher?

Edit... I found what i was looking for...

Rage read it somewhere.

Found out more about the fuel lines, more of a hot rod rule;

Fuel lines - You are allowed a maximum of 12 inches of rubber hose for connection purposes only. Do not show up with rubber hose running from the gas tank to the carburetor. You will not pass tech!

Basically IHRA makes u buy the rule book for more details.

I dont think secret street will be super strict to a tee, more the basic rules.

Sky
02-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Even my 4 cylinder can't pass this..."The maximum noise level is 95 db at 50 feet at 3500 RPM." :rolleyes:

googe
02-02-2004, 01:03 AM
i dont think 95db @ 50 feet is that bad is it? most exhaust decibel ratings were measured at 3 inches, so at 50 feet i would think that >95 would be pretty loud, even for a straight pipe...then again i could be completely wrong

fast95pony
02-02-2004, 01:57 AM
I have my battery in the trunk on the Mustang, firmly bolted down in a Moroso Battery box. There's no way I'm cutting a hole in the trunk to add a battery cut-off switch so I can go to the track a few times a year. :rolleyes:

three.eighteen.
02-02-2004, 03:41 AM
hmmm...relocated battery, so if it was in the trunk stock...thats kosher?

speedracer
02-02-2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by fast95pony
I have my battery in the trunk on the Mustang, firmly bolted down in a Moroso Battery box. There's no way I'm cutting a hole in the trunk to add a battery cut-off switch so I can go to the track a few times a year. :rolleyes:

It doesn't have to be on the trunk. There are many ways to add a (hidden) battery kill switch - it doesn't have to be a pernament switch.

Originally posted by three.eighteen.
hmmm...relocated battery, so if it was in the trunk stock...thats kosher?

Yes

sputnik
02-02-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by fast95pony

why would you have to cut a hole in the trunk?

you can install a kill switch ANYWHERE and keep it hidden.

buh_buh
02-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

why would you have to cut a hole in the trunk?

you can install a kill switch ANYWHERE and keep it hidden. because Race City needs it to have an external kill switch on the back of the car.

Hollywood
02-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
because Race City needs it to have an external kill switch on the back of the car.

Technically the switch does not need to be at the back of the car, just access to swiching mechanism does, ie: a rod the extends the switch needs to be accessible from the rear of the vehicle would be ok.

This rule is not new, it was around when racecity was NHRA too.

Z_Fan
02-02-2004, 11:29 AM
I actually like most of the rules. I think it is supposed to be for street cars. Not for RACE cars. RACE cars get their own events, and shouldn't be there at all IMO. It's supposed to be an avenue to remove (well, lets say reduce) street racing. I'd have to say most people with RACE cars don't waste their time dragging up and down the City Streets...

Anyhow, I don't mind the rules. Except for the Neutral Safety because my car doesn't have one. :-(

Now, does anyone know what the IHRA rule is about Nitrous?

Loose
02-02-2004, 12:55 PM
I don't know what the big deal is with the rules???
- Roll bar: if you run 11.50, you should probably should have one
- Clothing rules: It's not hard to follow, get over it.
- Battery kill switch: The first thing ems does when they extricate
people from a wreck is cut the power to the vehicle. This lowers the chance of fires and accidental airbag deployment. This is for their and your safety. How are they supposed to cut the power if your battery is in your trunk or in an unkown hidden area? Flip the switch. That's how.
-Noise levels: If you have a muffler you should be able to pass. 95db at 3500rpm 50 ft away (while reving in neutral) is not hard to attain.

Race City is a buisness and is sanctioned by the IHRA. If someone crashes and gets injured, that person can easily file a claim against the track if the IHRA rules were not followed. You guys should know that. People sue for things even "stupidier" than that.

Davan
02-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Unless I'm missing something, I don't see anything there that would prevent 90 percent of beyond members from being able to race.

hjr
02-02-2004, 01:31 PM
so you need a car in good condition and a helmet. whats wrong with that??? i dont get all the complaining.

rx7_turbo2
02-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Rules are rules, it's their "house" so that's the nature of the beast. The only rule I think is stupid is the battery cutoff nonsense. If they stayed consistant it would be alot easier to swallow the rules also. I know I've been there when some rust bucket chevy with tires down to the cords and a door that barely shuts passes tech, and the import next to him is givent he once over because of a relatively minor issue.

finboy
02-02-2004, 08:27 PM
they give lots of hassle about neutral safety switches, and my car didn't come with one.

usually from what i've seen, you can get by if you can convince them that it didn't have one from the factory.

Maxt
02-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Loose
- Roll bar: if you run 11.50, you should probably should have one
- Clothing rules: It's not hard to follow, get over it.
people from a wreck is cut the power to the vehicle. This lowers the chance of fires and accidental airbag deployment. This is for their and your safety. How are they supposed to cut the power if your battery is in your trunk or in an unkown hidden area? Flip the switch. That's how.
-Noise levels: If you have a muffler you should be able to pass. 95db at 3500rpm 50 ft away (while reving in neutral) is not hard to attain.

Race City is a buisness and is sanctioned by the IHRA. If someone crashes and gets injured, that person can easily file a claim against the track if the IHRA rules were not followed. You guys should know that. People sue for things even "stupidier" than that.

So what do they do when the car is a volkswagon beetle or miata, or BMW? Not relocated, but not under the hood either, purely stock car, but no relocation switch needed by the rules, whats the difference between that a car with the battery moved and one with the battery in the stock location... I could see it being reasonable to do on a 7 second door slammer, but for joe blow with a fast street legal car, its a pain the ass, and it hacks up the car...

Originally posted by Davan
Unless I'm missing something, I don't see anything there that would prevent 90 percent of beyond members from being able to race.
90 percent of beyonders cars are probably bone stock mechanically...
My car can pass a road worthiness test that says its street legal, but can't make a few passes down the quarter... Don't call it secret street, call it IHRA legal drag night...Maxt

Akagi Redsuns
02-02-2004, 11:31 PM

So what do they do when the car is a volkswagon beetle or miata, or BMW? Not relocated, but not under the hood either, purely stock car, but no relocation switch needed by the rules, whats the difference between that a car with the battery moved and one with the battery in the stock location... I could see it being reasonable to do on a 7 second door slammer, but for joe blow with a fast street legal car, its a pain the ass, and it hacks up the car..............snip

Don't you know? The techs at Race City are so informed that they know exactly the stock location of the battery for every car on the road....:rolleyes: LOL!!!! :rolleyes:

I have seen some POS cars that couldn't pass a road worthy inspection and yet they get teched without an issue. It's all about who you know I guess....or what kind of car you drive. (aka, Domestic)

Loose
02-03-2004, 05:50 PM
i still don't see what the big deal is.

the rules are up to the track, it's not a democracy.

one of the first rules of racing is.....

"Check the rules, then build your car. Not vice versa"

Akagi Redsuns
02-03-2004, 06:33 PM
snip............

But secret street is about racing your street car that you drive everyday for the most part and not built from the ground up to be drag racing car....isn't that what the sanctioned events and competitions are for? Secret street is to run your run of the mill car in order to prevent dangerous drag racing on the streets....or am I missing something?

Maxt
02-03-2004, 10:19 PM
i still don't see what the big deal is.

the rules are up to the track, it's not a democracy.

In competitive racing I would agree with that, but you seem to have secret street confused with a sanctioned drag event...Maxt

Loose
02-04-2004, 12:10 PM
I don't think the techies would have any problems with most stock cars. The problem you run into is when you MODIFY them. So again:

m10-power
02-04-2004, 12:49 PM
I don't think the techies would have any problems with most stock cars. The problem you run into is when you MODIFY them. So again:

You've obviously never been involved in racing, you see they are always changing the rules, and having a cut off switch only if you move the battery if fucking retarded. I do electrical engineering for a living and you can't give me a valid reason for it. In fact your more at risk with the battery in the stock location then in the trunk properly secured.
Funny I can run Solo 1 with my battery where it is without an issue, yet to go do a slow ass run(speed relative) I have to have some dumb ass cut off switch on my car?

Although true drag racing is gay, safe street legal racing can be fun once in awhile. What's the point of swapping to drag tires though? Race it like you street drive it.

fast95pony
02-04-2004, 01:19 PM
Two years ago I went to the track quite often. Most nights the battery in the trunk was fine , but a few nights it wasn't . Why ??
:dunno: It depended on the Techie.

The wiring was done professionally, it's a high 12 second car on slicks (I ran on DR's or the street tires.)

I've watched lots of questionable rusty relics allowed run because they were friends with Mr techie. But most of the staff don't know much about newer cars. The announcer can barely distinguish a Honda from a Mazda some nights.

If I built the car only to drag race , it would have a cut off switch on the trunk , but it's not a drag car. It's a street car.

Besides , I now enjoy autocrossing more.It's more challenging and enjoyable.
:burnout:

Tuner1
02-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by m10-power
What's the point of swapping to drag tires though? Race it like you street drive it.

Hear, hear!

Rob

Loose
02-04-2004, 03:57 PM

and having a cut off switch only if you move the battery if fucking retarded. I do electrical engineering for a living and you can't give me a valid reason for it.

The reason is so that if you crash the EMS have an easy way of cutting the power to your vehicle.

On a severe MVA scene on the street the first thing firefighters usually do is turn off the car and/or cut battery cables. If you have a modified car with a relocated battery, they have no way of knowing where it is or how to get it, unless you have a cut off switch (at the track).

I'm not endorsing the rule, but rest assured, there is a reason for it. That reason may be dumb, I don't care. Go to the track and play by the rules. After all of your experience, you should know that by now.

m10-power
02-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Go to the track and play by the rules. After all of your experience, you should know that by now.

Your right I do, which is why I don't go to secret streets anymore.

Toms-Celica
02-04-2004, 05:07 PM

What's the point of swapping to drag tires though? Race it like you street drive it.

You must not have traction issues, do you?
:dunno: Tires would also be a safety thing too. Stock right now I can crack the car side ways without intending to do so, unsafe.

Akagi Redsuns
02-04-2004, 05:23 PM
So you drive that way on the street with drag radials or risk it with regular tires? Going sideways without intending to is very unsafe...on the track or the street. Either you don't know how to control your right foot, lack of LSD, or you got way too much power.

fast95pony
02-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
So you drive that way on the street with drag radials or risk it with regular tires? Going sideways without intending to is very unsafe...on the track or the street. Either you don't know how to control your right foot, lack of LSD, or you got way too much power.

Have you ever made a pass down the track ??
How about a pass in a car with more than 100 hp ??

If you had , you would know that the launch area usually has a lot of rubber laid down ,and this makes for crappy launches on steet tires. However , if you use softer DRs or slicks , you can greatly increase your traction , and greatly improve your 1/4 mile time.
If you happen to visit the track often ,using DR's or slicks will increase the life of the more expensive street tires (unless you use Crappy Tires wonderful products..)

There is no such thing as "way too much power "!! :rofl:

Maxt
02-04-2004, 08:20 PM

I did check the rules when I built my car, its built to be street legal and it is....If you built your car to the rules of secret street, you are building them to drag car rules, which are actually not street legal, just becuase something is SFI approved doesn mean its DOT... I think Secret street needs to give its head a shake, or change its name....Maxt

rice_eater
02-05-2004, 12:41 AM
is it that hard to wire in a damn switch??? It took me less than half an hour to run all the cables in my car to move the battery to the trunk...how long could installing a cutoff switch take??? Also just tape it up to your trunk on raceday and you're done...no need to drill holes or anything...

buh_buh
02-05-2004, 07:40 AM
Well you need an EXTERNAL kill switch on the back of your car, which requires cutting.
I for one would not want to cut any holes in my car just for SS.

rx7_turbo2
02-06-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Well you need an EXTERNAL kill switch on the back of your car, which requires cutting.
I for one would not want to cut any holes in my car just for SS.

That's precisely the issue. Hanging a switch out the trunk won't cut it. It needs to be hard mounted.

If the rules of secret street are consistant it's no problem. But their not, some car's that have battery's in the trunk or under the rear seat stock have no issues, yet if you move the battery to those locations you now need a kill switch? What do the retards at SS know where the battery is in every model of car? Their so smart they just know right? They don't have a clue. How about using the marker they use on the window to mark a quick reference to were the battery is ie) trunk, hatch...etc

The only requirements for secret street should be:

Registered and Insured street legal vehicle.
Licensed driver/operator

IF they don't run it this way they need to change the name.

If my car with the battery in the back is safe enough for the fire dept. and EMT's to deal with on the street, it's safe enough for the track, where lets face it theres probably a lesser chance of something occuring.

Loose
02-06-2004, 09:56 AM
You guys are delusional. Just because it's a night for street cars does not mean that the safety rules of the track are abandoned.

Track = Racing
Racing = Danger
Danger = Liability
Liability = Rules

therefore... Track = Rules

Just because the retarded techies relaxed the rules some days for some cars doesn't mean they don't have the right to enforce their rules when they feel like it. It's like getting pulled over for speeding and complaining that the cop gave you a ticket while his buddy got off. It's not fair, but you were still speeding.

I've seen some nice kill switches mounted behind the license plate. What you do is have a removable switch mounted behind the license plate. When you race you remove the plate and screw on the switch. Yes you cut up your car, but it's not visible when you have your plate on. Maybe you guys should look into that if you want to race.

Maxt
02-06-2004, 08:43 PM
You guys are delusional. Just because it's a night for street cars does not mean that the safety rules of the track are abandoned.

Track = Racing
Racing = Danger
Danger = Liability
Liability = Rules

therefore... Track = Rules

Just because the retarded techies relaxed the rules some days for some cars doesn't mean they don't have the right to enforce their rules when they feel like it. It's like getting pulled over for speeding and complaining that the cop gave you a ticket while his buddy got off. It's not fair, but you were still speeding.

I've seen some nice kill switches mounted behind the license plate. What you do is have a removable switch mounted behind the license plate. When you race you remove the plate and screw on the switch. Yes you cut up your car, but it's not visible when you have your plate on. Maybe you guys should look into that if you want to race.
Again, if you are going to push race car rules on a street cars, its no longer a night for street cars, its a night for race cars, there is probably less danger on the track than the street when you factor in all the cirumstances... If you make it a night for street cars, stick to street rules, if its road worthy, let it run, if its not don't let it run...
There were cars that got through the night I was turned away, that passed the race city rules, but were not roadworthy, still a night for street cars? hardly....Maxt

rice_eater
02-06-2004, 10:49 PM
i'm gonna asked again since everyone missed it the first time (sorry just need to know)...

do you HAVE to have the car insured? I probably wont be able to afford the insurance on it this summer so i'll probably just tow it to the track. Right now the car is only insured for fire (aka sitting in the garage) I mean it makes no sense...you can't make a claim with your insurance company if you crash your car on the track anyways, so why do you HAVE to have it. What do all the people with track only cars do (probably go to better events than SS i bet). Thanks in advance

air_mikey
02-06-2004, 11:03 PM

Again, if you are going to push race car rules on a street cars, its no longer a night for street cars, its a night for race cars, there is probably less danger on the track than the street when you factor in all the cirumstances... If you make it a night for street cars, stick to street rules, if its road worthy, let it run, if its not don't let it run...
There were cars that got through the night I was turned away, that passed the race city rules, but were not roadworthy, still a night for street cars? hardly....Maxt :werd: its good that they are attempting to keep races off the street and onto the track but whats the point when they turn away so many street cars?

Z_Fan
02-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Well...

My two complaints about the rules are "Neutral Safety" switch. Tell me why the hell it matters if the clutch must be depressed in order to start the car? This one bugs me...

The other one that is 'sort of' silly is the Insurance thing. I mean, why would you need insurance 'at the track' other than getting it to the track in the first place? If I crash my car at Secret Streets is my Insurance Company going to cover it? LMAO. Hell no!

Ah well, if you wanna play, you gotta follow the rules. That is fair enough I think...

88CRX
02-06-2004, 11:23 PM
wow.... i actually agree with everything Maxt is saying :D

GT-FOUR
02-07-2004, 03:51 AM
The battery switch rule is such bullshit its not even funny. How the hell do they cut the power when the battery is under the hood? I dont need a switch in that case, so what precisely do they do?

I'm thinking about buying a very small race day only battery, since there is no way in hell that I can fit my battery under the hood... Might be something to look into actually, even though spending a hundred some bucks and spending a day to figure it out might not be worth the troubles just so i can go to the track twice a year.

:rolleyes:

Maybe they should bann people that have "modified exhausts" as well since that isnt street legal anymore for whatever f*cking reason.

-Chris

rx7_turbo2
02-07-2004, 08:56 AM

How do the emergency people know to look behind the license plate? Is there a sticker of some kind advising of the location? That's why I think my suggestion of a message onthe window regarding the location of the battery would work just fine. If the battery is in the stock location no message is neccesary. If the battery has been moved a quick abreviation as to where it was moved would tell emergency people where to look. It's just as easy to get at the battery in the hatch or the trunk.

We're getting into all this "the rules are the rules" bullshit. This is why we deal with so much red tape bullshit in our society, everybody's scared of being sued so they over regulated the shit out of everything.

buh_buh
02-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Yeah if you have a battery in the trunk you have to have a sticker on the back of your car pointing to it. But I hear it adds 10whp so maybe its not such a bad thing?;)

Hollywood
02-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Ok lets do this;

I will make a new post where u say you would go to secret street more often or even at all if they get rid of the kill switch rule as a petition. Then after a certain amount of posts I wll send the info to Race city. Yes they have the ability to alter the rules. It may not work but at least we will be heard.

Here is the petiton thread;
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35709

THREE40SEVEN
02-07-2004, 05:23 PM
Well...

My two complaints about the rules are "Neutral Safety" switch. Tell me why the hell it matters if the clutch must be depressed in order to start the car? This one bugs me...

What happens if you dont have a switch, and you start the car with the clutch out and in gear??:nut: Now put someone in front of your car while your doing this.

Starting a petition is futile hollywood. This is their track and their rules. I dont agree with the battery switch rule either, but i know that complaining about it will not change their minds.

t3rry
02-07-2004, 06:14 PM
that other post is useless, they wont even listen to you. this insurance requires it, thier policy was updated. i used to work at race city, trust me they dont wnat it either, but have no choice.

Loose
02-07-2004, 08:14 PM
honestly i think it's a dumb rule too. I think it should be for cars of 11.49 or faster (with IHRA) since the chances of a 12+ second car crashing are minimal.

...but like i said earlier, it's not a democracy

t3rry
02-07-2004, 09:17 PM
honestly i think it's a dumb rule too. I think it should be for cars of 11.49 or faster (with IHRA) since the chances of a 12+ second car crashing are minimal.

that is more dependant on the driver and road conditions than the speed of the car.

Hollywood
02-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by t3rry
that other post is useless, they wont even listen to you. this insurance requires it, thier policy was updated. i used to work at race city, trust me they dont wnat it either, but have no choice.

secret street is not a sanctioned event. Thus the rules are not in stone. Like I said it probly will not work. But everyone bitches about it, so instead this may be more productive, at least they will know that many people do not like that rule specifically.

Bottom line, they are loosing business because of it. If they care or not is a different story, but since the track is in SHITTY shape, personally they need all the business they can get!!!

rage2
02-08-2004, 12:33 PM
secret street is not a sanctioned event. Thus the rules are not in stone. Like I said it probly will not work. But everyone bitches about it, so instead this may be more productive, at least they will know that many people do not like that rule specifically.
It's not race city's call. It's their insurance carrier's requirement that any drag racing timed event must adhere to NHRA or IHRA rules.

So if you want to complain and start a petition, it should be forwarded to their insurance carrier, not to race city :).

Hollywood
02-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by rage2

It's not race city's call. It's their insurance carrier's requirement that any drag racing timed event must adhere to NHRA or IHRA rules.

So if you want to complain and start a petition, it should be forwarded to their insurance carrier, not to race city :).

But explain how you can have a passenger with u in the car in SS? (you cant race against someone when you do this).

That's not in the IHRA rulebook.

WGR4Pussies
04-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Bump, So any news? did Rice eater get his car insured?

JCX
04-20-2004, 08:39 PM
Well...
The other one that is 'sort of' silly is the Insurance thing. I mean, why would you need insurance 'at the track' other than getting it to the track in the first place? If I crash my car at Secret Streets is my Insurance Company going to cover it? LMAO. Hell no!

Ah well, if you wanna play, you gotta follow the rules. That is fair enough I think...

One reason I think you may need insurance is perhaps to stick with the theme of "street". Another thing, perhaps they feel if a car is insured it will be somewhat safe / roadworthy. I could build some turbocharged time bomb of an old car and drag it to the track only to blow up. At least to be insured the car will likely be in good running order. Just some guesses.

I agree with you though, it's their court so you play by their rules. If people stay away it means more runs for other's.

edit : holy shizzle, I didn't realize this topic was ancient. :whipped:

89coupe
04-21-2004, 12:55 PM
So how would they kill the power if you batter is still located in your engine bay?

speedracer
04-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
So how would they kill the power if you batter is still located in your engine bay?

A Simplistic view
Alt-->Starter-->switch-->Battery

I'm pretty sure this kills power :D

This is so the safety crew can shut off the electrical system and stop the electric fuel pump in the event of a crash.

89coupe
04-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Huh?

Maybe I asked the question wrong.

Battery in trunk = kill switch located at rear of car. Car loses control, smashes into gaurd rail, EMC arrives, flicks battery kill switch, no power.

Battery in engine bay = no kill switch. Car loses control, smashes into guard rail, EMC arrives, no switch to kill power, now what?

Is that a better analogy?

B

Originally posted by speedracer

A Simplistic view
Alt-->Starter-->switch-->Battery

I'm pretty sure this kills power :D

This is so the safety crew can shut off the electrical system and stop the electric fuel pump in the event of a crash.

4wheeldrift
04-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Toms-Celica

You must not have traction issues, do you?
:dunno: Tires would also be a safety thing too. Stock right now I can crack the car side ways without intending to do so, unsafe. The throttle is not an on/off switch, modulate ;)