PDA

View Full Version : Removing popcorn ceiling

94CoRd
03-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Looking to remove a popcorn ceiling. I know it's somewhat of a dirty job to do yourself but weighing the options.

If I needed approximately 1200sq ft gone - what would an approximate cost be for someone to do it? I've heard between 1 - 2 $ a sq ft. Is this a good rule of thumb?

Thanks.

cancer man
03-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Drop some poly on the ground and mist the ceiling and start scrapping.

mr2mike
03-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Also a hat and eye protection helps but if you have a long enough handle on the scraper, you should be fine.

cidley69
03-19-2012, 04:01 PM
I know from experience that only works if the ceiling hasn't been painted. Once painted the mist no longer soaks into the popcorn, and it stays hard even once wet.

I drywalled over mine!

Seth1968
03-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Depending on the age, there might be some asbestos in there.

B20EF
03-19-2012, 10:00 PM
I scraped 2000sq/ft in my place. It sucks but worthwhile doing yourself. Even though my place was gutted I used a 6 inch scraper in one hand and a dust pan in the other to catch the scrapings so it wouldnt fall on the floor. I was also worried about asbestos so I bought a $50 asbestos mask from canadian tire to be safe.

That was a brutal 2 days of lugging my ladder around. Borrow stilts from a friend if you can. Although stilts is kind of an odd thing for someone to own randomly.

Kloubek
03-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Depending on the age, there might be some asbestos in there.

Good point. I'd watch it with anything built prior to the late 80's... even though manufacture stopped sometime around 79-81 if I recall correctly...

Unknown303
03-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by B20EF
I scraped 2000sq/ft in my place. It sucks but worthwhile doing yourself. Even though my place was gutted I used a 6 inch scraper in one hand and a dust pan in the other to catch the scrapings so it wouldnt fall on the floor. I was also worried about asbestos so I bought a $50 asbestos mask from canadian tire to be safe.

That was a brutal 2 days of lugging my ladder around. Borrow stilts from a friend if you can. Although stilts is kind of an odd thing for someone to own randomly.

:werd: If you keep it nice and moist it should just fall off in nice wet blobs. Not the biggest concern for airborne particles, but a mask is a good thing to have while doing it.

I did a room that somone painted over the textured crap and I roughed up the surface enough to break off peaks etc, and once I started spraying it down it would soak in underneith and I was able to scrape it off and it came down like a giant layer of skin.

78si
03-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Do you self a favour and buy a baker scaffold. Its way better to work off a platform than a ladder.
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-other-Bakers-Scaffold-CLEARANCE-W0QQAdIdZ216597168

davidI
03-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by 78si
Do you self a favour and buy a baker scaffold. Its way better to work off a platform than a ladder.

Scraper on a stick = no ladder / scaffolding