PDA

View Full Version : Should I go through Insurance?

Nickfit
03-19-2012, 03:28 PM
My wife recently scraped the rear quarter panel on my 05 TSX while parking in an underground parkade. I went to a few shops for a quote and it turned out to be just over $2000. On top of this, i have a few bumper scratches i'd like to repair (prior to the accident and not being claimed) which will add an additional $1500 to the bill.

I'm wondering if it's worth while to go through insurance. Both my wife and I have clean insurance records, have our own vehicles and use the same insurance company. My understanding of insurance policy is that i will need to claim this on my insurance, however, my wife will have this on her record as well, and as a result, it's likely that both our insurance could go up. My wife has accident forgiveness on her plan, but unfortunately i do not.

After doing a quick check on kijiji, it seems the 05 TSX is only worth around $14-15 K. I'm planning to keep this car for at least another couple of years. Is it worth going through insurance ($500 deductible + $1500 + premium increase) or paying out of pocket $3500?

I've been warned by a few friends not to contact my insurance company (unless i plan on making a claim) as the very act can raise my premieums regardless if I actually submit a claim or not... is this true?

thanks in advance!

littledan
03-19-2012, 03:31 PM
the answer to this question is always... HELL NO!

Jetta-2.0
03-19-2012, 03:36 PM
just keep the car the way it is.... learn on this car and who cares about the scratches and dings..... if the car is worth 14 to 15gs ur humping 3.5k on it and down the road 3 to 4 years how much u think this car is ganna be worth? 6 to 7 so really u,l be selling it for 3 to 4k since the other 3.5 goes towards ur fixing lol

Nickfit
03-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Unfortunately leaving it alone is not an option. The damage will lead to rusting and I won't be able to sell this for much at all if I don't fix it. I guess the alternative is I just pay to get this fixed and leave the bumper damage as is. The bumper damage is merely cosmetic, the rear quarter panel damage needs to be fixed.

heavyfuel
03-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by littledan
the answer to this question is always... HELL NO!

That's right, raised premiums aside, it may show up on the carfax when you try to sell it, and you might end up taking a bath on it even more than by paying out of pocket.

Originally posted by Nickfit
Unfortunately leaving it alone is not an option. The damage will lead to rusting and I won't be able to sell this for much at all if I don't fix it. I guess the alternative is I just pay to get this fixed and leave the bumper damage as is. The bumper damage is merely cosmetic, the wheel well damage needs to be fixed.

Good call

20incheyes
03-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Nickfit
My wife recently dinged the back wheel well on my 05 TSX while parking in an underground parkade. I went to a few shops for a quote and it turned out to be just over $2000.

I've been warned by a few friends not to contact my insurance company (unless i plan on making a claim) as the very act can raise my premieums regardless if I actually submit a claim or not... is this true?

thanks in advance!

As for you friends they are full of $%^$! Your premiums won't go up until your insurance company has to pay the bill.

Put up a pic of the damage too to get a better solution here. I've never seen $2000 of wheel well damage but I'm sure it's possible

Nickfit
03-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by 20incheyes

As for you friends they are full of $%^$! Your premiums won't go up until your insurance company has to pay the bill.

Put up a pic of the damage too to get a better solution here. I've never seen $2000 of wheel well damage but I'm sure it's possible

Ya, I think I have some pretty paranoid friends! So it may help for me to contact my insurance to see how much my premiums will go up if I submit a claim?

You're right about the wheel well, I've edited my previous posts... my wife scraped the rear quarter panel.

Masked Bandit
03-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Your concern about your insurance going up simply by calling and asking isn't unfounded. There are in fact insurance companies that will try to rate your policy for "self insured" losses (damage paid out of pocket). If you've got a reasonable broker though you should be able to call them up and ask them off the record what the outcome would be. We do it all the time. If however you're with one of the banks or direct writers well, who knows.

Kloubek
03-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by 20incheyes

Now, with this said - I can no longer get accident protection through TD because they were notified I had a claim before which I paid out cash to the owner. They were not out of pocket whatsoever, yet it changes the way they handle me as a customer. However, my premiums didn't go up either.

CanmoreOrLess
03-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Your repair costs will be lower the further you go from Calgary. I had a bit of damage (bumper scratch hit and run) in Vancouver, estimates at just under a grand, thought I would wait until Calgary to have the repairs, estimate was over $1,500. All were cash deals.

Once you have the estimate done, call around for a cash price within an hour of Calgary. Might save a few hundred.

leftwing
03-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Now, with this said - I can no longer get accident protection through TD because they were notified I had a claim before which I paid out cash to the owner. They were not out of pocket whatsoever, yet it changes the way they handle me as a customer. However, my premiums didn't go up either.

When I contacted my insurance about an accident I had a few years ago they persuaded me not to claim it if I didn't have to. They told me to pay out of pocket for repairs because if I claim an accident on my insurance, and happen to have another one within 5 years my insurance will skyrocket as I would have 2 accidents on record.

Cos
03-19-2012, 06:13 PM

max_boost
03-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Your concern about your insurance going up simply by calling and asking isn't unfounded. There are in fact insurance companies that will try to rate your policy for "self insured" losses (damage paid out of pocket). If you've got a reasonable broker though you should be able to call them up and ask them off the record what the outcome would be. We do it all the time. If however you're with one of the banks or direct writers well, who knows.

Haha yep.

My brother got into an accident, we dealt with it privately, paid the lady and even got her to sign a letter to close the case. Well you would not believe it, she actually called insurance to submit a claim! :eek: Insurance contacted my dad and we forwarded them the signed letter saying it was done. Even though insurance never paid out a thing, they proceeded to raise the premiums so my parents dropped them (AllState) and went with RBC. True story bro.

dirtsniffer
03-19-2012, 06:21 PM
As already stated Masked Bandit knows all about insurance

J-hop
03-19-2012, 10:27 PM

Interesting, i might have to have a talk with my insurance company, I am with meloche monnex and recently insured another vehicle. I previously had a collision where the other party was found 100% at fault. I had notified my insurance about the collision but the offending driver decided to pay out of pocket. When I was insuring this new car they said there was a not at fault collision on my record and that they would waive it as part of their accident forgiveness program and because I have a good record with them.

Kinda caught me off gaurd that they would bring up a not at fault accident where no claim was ever made, and claim they will have to "waive" it using their accident forgiveness program!?!?? What would happen of I ever made a claim would I have already used up my accident forgiveness "credits"????

Unknown303
03-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

Interesting, i might have to have a talk with my insurance company, I am with meloche monnex and recently insured another vehicle. I previously had a collision where the other party was found 100% at fault. I had notified my insurance about the collision but the offending driver decided to pay out of pocket. When I was insuring this new car they said there was a not at fault collision on my record and that they would waive it as part of their accident forgiveness program and because I have a good record with them.

Kinda caught me off gaurd that they would bring up a not at fault accident where no claim was ever made, and claim they will have to "waive" it using their accident forgiveness program!?!?? What would happen of I ever made a claim would I have already used up my accident forgiveness "credits"????

With Meloche I've used the Accident Forgiveness a few times. A couple break ins for my old truck and a hit and run for my Jeep. They still give me them again and again. As long as I'm not the once causing the problem they don't seem to feel bad about waiving the costs.

J-hop
03-19-2012, 10:51 PM
That is good to know, just odd because they didn't pay a dime for the collision repairs and I wasn't at fault :dunno:

max_boost
03-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Probably just cause it was you J-hop lol

msommers
03-20-2012, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

With Meloche I've used the Accident Forgiveness a few times. A couple break ins for my old truck and a hit and run for my Jeep. They still give me them again and again. As long as I'm not the once causing the problem they don't seem to feel bad about waiving the costs.

Good to know. I'm with MM as well and J-Hop's post had me a little worried for a second!

Awhile ago there was something on the news about insurance companies raising premiums even though you were just calling in to inquire about something. How is that even legal?!

DEATH2000
03-20-2012, 12:55 AM
Insurance is the biggest scam ever. How can the Govt make it mandatory that everyone has insurance, but yet not regulate how much people have to pay? They can pretty much get away with anything they want.

Team_Mclaren
03-20-2012, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by DEATH2000
Insurance is the biggest scam ever. How can the Govt make it mandatory that everyone has insurance, but yet not regulate how much people have to pay? They can pretty much get away with anything they want.

you should move to BC.

ExtraSlow
03-20-2012, 06:26 AM
That's funny, they DO regulate the maximum you have to pay for the mandatory insurance.
All these discussions have been about collision or comprehensive, which is optional.

punky
03-20-2012, 06:59 AM
I know a shop that does repair for quite cheap. Its not a fancy place or amazing quality like screaming paintworks and such, but its quite a bit cheaper. The owner is extremely nice and is quite willing to fix any problem (He even repaired a bunch of my bumper chips without me asking). PM me if you're interested.

dieselpower91
03-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Your repair costs will be lower the further you go from Calgary....

Once you have the estimate done, call around for a cash price within an hour of Calgary. Might save a few hundred.

I got a quote from a body shop in Beiseker. It was a fair amount cheaper than Calgary but (I claimed through insurance since I was not at fault, wasn't even in the car) I went to Screamin'.

Beiseker Paint & Body Works: Wallace Cammidge, 403-947-2400
*I have not seen his work up close or used them before.*

CapnCrunch
03-20-2012, 12:07 PM
If there are no other parties involved, you're probably better off to not go through insurance.

20incheyes
03-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Ha this is news to me. I use to own a bodyshop and never heard of this but I have been out of the business for a few years now.

If my insurance company had this policy i'd be shopping for new insurer asap.

As for bodyshops you get what you pay for at the end of the day. Some places use paint that costs $14 a litre meanwhile others use quality that can cost up to $200.

A shop with a highend paint booth that costs $120,000 also will charge more compared a place with a paint "room."

SportEL
03-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Accident Forgiveness is for at fault or partially at fault collision. The instances you list would be covered under Comprehensive.

guessboi
03-20-2012, 08:12 PM
^ +1. Correct. (except Hit and Run is Collision) *Edit.

guessboi
03-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

And when you talk to a different rep. They will say something different. You should have your waiver still...if not. :guns: TDMM.

gofastmerc
03-20-2012, 08:40 PM
You can not group together separate incidents and make one claim.

Insurance will pay the 2k claim, you pay the deducible and the $1500 for the other damage.

Sounds like you should just pay out of pocket.

Xtrema
03-20-2012, 09:21 PM

Until you got hit by someone without it.

Wehbeast
03-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by SportEL

Accident Forgiveness is for at fault or partially at fault collision. The instances you list would be covered under Comprehensive.

Really hit and run covered under comprehensive? Last year i got hit and run, when i called TDMM they said i was SOL because I didnt have collision.

guessboi
03-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Hit and Run is Collision...but you are not at fault...it won't affect your waiver. (it is not comp)

..*JDM Hatch*..
03-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by dieselpower91

I got a quote from a body shop in Beiseker. It was a fair amount cheaper than Calgary but (I claimed through insurance since I was not at fault, wasn't even in the car) I went to Screamin'.

Beiseker Paint & Body Works: Wallace Cammidge, 403-947-2400
*I have not seen his work up close or used them before.*

I lived in Beiseker for 12 years,seen lots of this guys work over all the years...I would highly reccomend that you DONT go there. Prices seem half decent,but there work looks like shit.

But feel free if you want to use them.

Masked Bandit
03-22-2012, 10:02 AM

The part that is mandatory (liability) IS REGULATED by the government. Even the optional coverage (collision / comprehensive) isn't completely unregulated. When the insurance companies want to change their pricing they have to ask permission from the government.

Obviously over the long run most people pay more in insurance than they ever claim. If they didn't, insurance companies wouldn't make any money and they would be out of business. It's just one of those things in life that we all pretty much have to buy whether we like it or not.

guessboi
03-22-2012, 10:24 AM
^ to sum it up...Losses of the few paid by the many of us...and we all get screwed in the long run :rofl:

Afrodeziak
03-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Not to steal the thread, but it might help give some insight with a similar case.

Gf's car has a scuffed bumper from hit and run and a broken side mirror from a separate hit and run.

If she went through insurance to fix these, would they come out of her collision on comprehensive.. and would her insurance go up at all for claiming them?

ie. is it cheaper for her to pay out of pocket, or claim it? I assume she'd have to file a police report.

guessboi
03-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Hit and Run again is Collision - subject to collision deductible. It is a not at fault claim. Note if you claim it...it will show in carproof...(She should still file a police report)

Afrodeziak
03-22-2012, 01:24 PM
So, non-fault claims do not raise premiums?
Forgive my ignorance, but I've never had to claim with insurance... well just a at fault claim (and my insurance went up of course)

Masked Bandit
03-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Afrodeziak
So, non-fault claims do not raise premiums?
Forgive my ignorance, but I've never had to claim with insurance... well just a at fault claim (and my insurance went up of course)

Generally speaking, no. Not at fault claims don't affect your premiums. However there are insurance companies out there that have additional discount available if you have NO CLAIMS OF ANY KIND. If you have multiple not at fault claims on your file usually you'll just end up with higher deductibles being forced on you or the insurance company simply refusing to offer collision / comprehensive. It's pretty rare though.