PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding registration to get a vehicle home.

Skrilla
03-20-2012, 10:22 AM
I am looking at a vehicle out of town tomorrow night, and my problem is getting it home. I have a 1-800 for my insurance company that will put insurance on it even after hours, but what do you do about a plate? I can't get a Transit slip without insurance, but I am not sure if I will be purchasing the vehicle until I see it, so I won't have insurance prior to going. I am not trading/selling a vehicle at the same time.

Any ideas, or do I have to make two trips?

Thanks

rage2
03-20-2012, 10:30 AM
You can buy insurance on the vehicle before deciding on purchasing it. They'll fax or email you a temp pink slip. If you decide to not purchase the vehicle, cancel it right away and you won't get charged by insurance.

So yes, you can have insurance prior to going.

You won't be able to get "free" transit plate though... that'll cost you the $20-30 bucks.

turbotrip
03-20-2012, 11:00 AM
check with ur insurance, some cover buying a new car for a few days. and the bill of sale acts as temp registration for 7 days i think? so all you need is your registered lisence plate from your "old" car

dannie
03-20-2012, 11:16 AM
There are two scenarios here.

1) You are intending on transferring a plate from another car to this new one:

That is the easiest solution. Your insurance company will cover the switch over of the car for 14 days from the date on the bill of sale. You take the plate off your old car, put it on the new one and you are legal for 14 days that way. You are required to have your bill of sale on you at all times.

2) You are going to be needing a new plate:

You would call the insurance company ahead of time like Rage suggested and that would cover the insurance on the car. The issue is the intransit permit or plate. For both the intransit permit and the plate, you require a bill of sale before it can be issued. My suggestion would be to get an offer to purchase from the dealer and have them sign it. Use that along with the insurance to obtain an intransit permit ($24.45). Once you've confirmed the purchase of the vehicle and have a proper bill of sale, go back to the registry and register it with a new plate.

The way turbotrip suggested is not legal in regards to the use of the licence plate

leftwing
03-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by rage2
You can buy insurance on the vehicle before deciding on purchasing it. They'll fax or email you a temp pink slip. If you decide to not purchase the vehicle, cancel it right away and you won't get charged by insurance.

So yes, you can have insurance prior to going.

You won't be able to get "free" transit plate though... that'll cost you the $20-30 bucks.

This. I bought a car out of Edmonton, once I went up and saw the car and decided I wanted to buy it, I called my insurance's 1-800 # and they faxed over a temp insurance slip. I believe it was good for 7 days.

Zero102
03-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by dannie

That is the easiest solution. Your insurance company will cover the switch over of the car for 14 days from the date on the bill of sale. You take the plate off your old car, put it on the new one and you are legal for 14 days that way. You are required to have your bill of sale on you at all times.

You would call the insurance company ahead of time like Rage suggested and that would cover the insurance on the car. The issue is the intransit permit or plate. For both the intransit permit and the plate, you require a bill of sale before it can be issued. My suggestion would be to get an offer to purchase from the dealer and have them sign it. Use that along with the insurance to obtain an intransit permit ($24.45). Once you've confirmed the purchase of the vehicle and have a proper bill of sale, go back to the registry and register it with a new plate.

The way turbotrip suggested is not legal in regards to the use of the licence plate

Also worth mentioning, if you are using option 1, you need to carry the insurance and registration for your old vehicle, and you need proof of insurance on your new vehicle, whether that is proof you have 14 days of coverage on any vehicles you have bought, or whether that is an actual pink slip for that car doesn't matter, but you need proof that the new vehicle is insured as well as the old, and the registration for the old vehicle.

As taken from the motor vehicle administration act (circa 2000, is there a newer act I should be referencing??)

V41(1) This section applies to the registration of vehicles other than
public vehicles to which section 40 applies.
(2) When the ownership of a registered vehicle passes from the
registered owner to any other person, whether by an act of the
owner or by operation of law, the registration of the vehicle expires
forthwith and the registered owner shall remove the licence plates
from the vehicle and retain them in that owner's possession.
(3) At any time during the registration year for which the licence
plates are issued, the person to whom they are issued may apply to
the Minister to use the plates on another vehicle to be registered in
that person's name, if the application is made within 14 days after
acquiring ownership of the other vehicle and, notwithstanding
sections 34 and 51, that person may display the plates on the newly
acquired vehicle and operate or permit another person to operate
the vehicle on a highway during that 14-day period.

70(1) The operator, owner or person having the care and control of
a motor vehicle shall, on the request of a peace officer, produce a
financial responsibility card for that vehicle.
(2) When the motor vehicle is being operated
(a) with licence plates issued pursuant to section 48,
(b) by an appraiser who has custody of the vehicle for the
purpose of appraisal,
(c) by a mechanic who has custody of the vehicle for the
purpose of repairs, or
(d) by the proprietor of or an employee of a service station
who has, on behalf of the service station, the custody of a
motor vehicle in the course of service station business
duties relating to the vehicle,
the peace officer shall give the operator, owner or person having
the care and control of the vehicle reasonable time within which to
produce the financial responsibility card.
(3) When a newly acquired motor vehicle is being operated with
licence plates issued to another motor vehicle pursuant to section
41(3), and if the operator, owner or person having the care and
control of the vehicle produces
(a) proof of the purchase, within the immediately preceding
14 days, of the newly acquired vehicle, and
(b) a financial responsibility card for the vehicle to which the
licence plates are issued,
the peace officer shall give the operator, owner or person having
the care and control of the vehicle reasonable time within which to
produce a financial responsibility card for the newly acquired
vehicle.

source:
http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/stat/rsa-2000-c-m-23/latest/rsa-2000-c-m-23.html

J-hop
03-20-2012, 12:41 PM

Almost true (assuming the OP is buying an Alberta car) by Alberta law you do not need a bill of sale if the car is an Alberta registered vehicle and being moved within Alberta to obtain an intransit temp registration. If the OP is buying from out of province or is buying in AB and leaving AB before registering then he would need a BOS to get an in transit permit.

OP if I were you and you only want to make one trip then call up your insurance co. Add the vehicle to your policy (takes less than 20mins) get them to email you a copy, go to your nearest registry that will issue in transits, pay the 25$ (or whatever it was, I don't remember) and get the temp sheet, if you don't by the car simply cancel your insurance, pay the nominal 1 day fee or whatever they will charge you and go back and cancel the in transit.

But honestly if it's not too far away I would make 2 trips, if you go to the effort of setting everything up it might sway your decision on the car

dannie
03-20-2012, 12:51 PM
@ Zero... you can still reference that, but the most up to date info comes from the tsa and is updated much quicker than the MVA http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/t06.pdf

edit: I should be a little clearer. Start with the TSA because it gets updated much faster than the MVA. I'm not sure who is in charge of keeping the documents up to date, but I have found that the MVA is usually behind at least a few weeks on updates. When you click on the canlii link (it's the one I always use because it comes up first), there is a link to the Queens Printer with the most up to date version which includes any amendments. So, always check that one over the one on the canlii site.

@ J-Hop... yes, you are correct. If the vehicle is from within Alberta and is staying within Alberta, a bill of sale is not mandatory because Registries assumes a bill of sale has been shown to the insurance company (this policy is under review currently). The issue is that 99% of intransits are people moving vehicles between provinces which is why they will generally ask for a copy of the bill of sale

Skrilla
03-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Talked to insurance again, guess they are going to issue me a 24hour pink card, if the deal flops just tear it up and be done with it. This will allow me a transit.

Thanks again for all the replies!:thumbsup:

Danny Meehan
03-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Scenario : am buying a car from Edmonton. Can the license plate from my present vehicle be used for the day when I am driving it to Calgary ?

dannie
03-20-2012, 02:21 PM
^ Only if you are intending on keeping that old plate on the new car. If not, legally no

turbotrip
03-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Danny Meehan
Scenario : am buying a car from Edmonton. Can the license plate from my present vehicle be used for the day when I am driving it to Calgary ?
Legally you shouldn't but realistically you can. I've done it dozens of times and been pulled over many times with no issues

Shlade
03-21-2012, 12:47 AM
Have insurance,

Plate does not have to be registered to the vehicle for 14 days.

Ive never had issues as long as Ive had insurance.

Danny Meehan
03-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Thank you guys

johnboy27
03-21-2012, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Zero102

Also worth mentioning, if you are using option 1, you need to carry the insurance and registration for your old vehicle, and you need proof of insurance on your new vehicle, whether that is proof you have 14 days of coverage on any vehicles you have bought, or whether that is an actual pink slip for that car doesn't matter, but you need proof that the new vehicle is insured as well as the old, and the registration for the old vehicle.

As taken from the motor vehicle administration act (circa 2000, is there a newer act I should be referencing??)

source:
http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/stat/rsa-2000-c-m-23/latest/rsa-2000-c-m-23.html
When you purchase another vehicle, within that 14 day period you have to carry the registration for your previous vehicle(the one the plate is coming off of) and the insurance slip for that vehicle, that reg and insurange will cover the new vehicle until you transfer it over . ou don't need an insurance card for the new vehicle within that 14 day period. I went threw this with my insurance company and they told me flat out to carry my reg and insurance for the old car and the bill of sale for the new car. that was all that is needed.

dannie
03-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by johnboy27

When you purchase another vehicle, within that 14 day period you have to carry the registration for your previous vehicle(the one the plate is coming off of) and the insurance slip for that vehicle, that reg and insurange will cover the new vehicle until you transfer it over . ou don't need an insurance card for the new vehicle within that 14 day period. I went threw this with my insurance company and they told me flat out to carry my reg and insurance for the old car and the bill of sale for the new car. that was all that is needed.

You are correct IF you are transferring a Licence plate from one car to another. The problem is that most people are mislead about the legalities behind it.

If you have an old car and have bought a new car and are going to be using the plate off the old car on the new one, yes. You have a 14 day grace period for your plates and insurance.

If you've bought a new car and take the plate off your old car to bring it home and then plan on going to the registry to get a new plate for the new car... That is not legal. They key to the 14 day rule is that you Have to be transferring a valid plate from one car to another.

Don't get me wrong here, people do it all the time. I know that I wouldn't want to get the tickets for it. Improper use of a plate and an impounded car isn't something that I'd wanna chance.

johnboy27
03-22-2012, 08:00 PM

You are correct IF you are transferring a Licence plate from one car to another. The problem is that most people are mislead about the legalities behind it.

If you have an old car and have bought a new car and are going to be using the plate off the old car on the new one, yes. You have a 14 day grace period for your plates and insurance.

If you've bought a new car and take the plate off your old car to bring it home and then plan on going to the registry to get a new plate for the new car... That is not legal. They key to the 14 day rule is that you Have to be transferring a valid plate from one car to another.

Don't get me wrong here, people do it all the time. I know that I wouldn't want to get the tickets for it. Improper use of a plate and an impounded car isn't something that I'd wanna chance.
Yes, that's what I was getting at. Zero was saying you needed to get insurance on the vehicle as well as carrying your old paper and reg with the newly aquired vehicle.

Masked Bandit
03-23-2012, 06:57 AM

So lets assume for the sake of arguement I buy a different vehicle. I take the plate off my current vehicle and put it on the newly acquired vehicle for the purpose of driving it home. Let's also assume I've carried with me the registration & insurance paperwork from the original vehicle and the bill of sale for the new vehicle. If I get stopped on the way home, how is the cop supposed to know my intentions for the old vehicle? If I'm understanding you correctly you are saying that this is only legal if my intentions are to get rid of my original vehicle?

Zero102
03-23-2012, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by johnboy27

Yes, that's what I was getting at. Zero was saying you needed to get insurance on the vehicle as well as carrying your old paper and reg with the newly aquired vehicle.

It is not what I am saying, it is what the law says. Now, if you consult the Alberta Standard Automobile Insurance Policy:

AUTOMOBILE DEFINED
In this policy except where stated to the contrary the words "the automobile" mean:
Under sections A (Third Party Liability), B (Accident Benefits), C (Loss of or Damage to Insured Automobile)
(a) The Described Automobile - an automobile, trailer or semi-trailer specifically described in the Policy or within the description of insured automobiles set forth therein;
(b) A Newly Acquired Automobile - an automobile, ownership of which is acquired by the insured and, within fourteen days following the date of its delivery to him, notified to the Insurer in respect of which the insured has no other valid insurance, if either it replaces an automobile described in the application or the Insurer insures (in respect of the section or subsection of the Insuring Agreements under which claim is made) all automobiles owned by the Insured at such delivery date and inrespect of which the Insured pays any additional premium requires; provided however, that insurance hereunder shall not apply if the insired is engaged in the business of selling automobiles;

It says that IF all your vehicles are insured with a single company, that company is liable for any newly acquired vehicles so long as they are notified within 14 days of purchase, however they also have the right to charge an additional premium for this if they please. Most companies do not charge anything extra so long as you will be adding the car to your policy or replacing a car with it.

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

So lets assume for the sake of arguement I buy a different vehicle. I take the plate off my current vehicle and put it on the newly acquired vehicle for the purpose of driving it home. Let's also assume I've carried with me the registration & insurance paperwork from the original vehicle and the bill of sale for the new vehicle. If I get stopped on the way home, how is the cop supposed to know my intentions for the old vehicle? If I'm understanding you correctly you are saying that this is only legal if my intentions are to get rid of my original vehicle?

Yes, this is where the 2 things are slightly at odds - Your insurance is valid if you buy the car so long as you will be adding it to your policy OR replacing a vehicle. Your registration is valid ONLY IF you are replacing the vehicle the license plate is issued to with the vehicle you have bought.

How do they know what you plan on doing? Not sure, but if they issue you a ticket for no registration and you want to claim that exemption you better be able to prove that you replaced your car with the new one ;)

I think they generally give you the benefit of the doubt that you are replacing your old vehicle with the new, I have used this exemption several times and have been pulled over twice during those times (license plate from a 1985 subaru GL wagon on a porsche 944 probably looked a little suspicious) and they have always taken my word for it and sent me on my way without any trouble. Of course, I do always carry the relevant section from the MVAA, ASAA, a copy of my policy and the paperwork from my previous vehicle, and have presented the whole stack to them with the relevant sections highlighted just in case the officer is not familliar with the relevant laws.

**EDIT**
Forgot to link my source for the above quote:
http://www.finance.alberta.ca/publications/insurance/standard_automobile_policy_2007.pdf

dannie
03-23-2012, 07:15 AM
@ masked bandit.... Yup, you got it. The officer will ask you outright. I know of two districts that have a mandate that states when this scenario happens, they are to retrieve the proof of transfer from cpic two weeks later and make sure it's done. If its not, that officer is to issue the ticket.

I'd have to double check policy on whether the wording is "intend" to use or "will" use.

** as an exmple of this - there is a guy who was pulled over in his new high end sports car. Gets asked for his documentation and pulls out the 14 day rule and hands the officer all the proper documents. Looks legit at the beginning but notices the info is 2 days past the 14 days. Guy whips out 6 bills of sale, each dated 2 weeks apart (dumbass btw). Long story short, he was creating multiple fraudulent bills of sale for about a year so that he could avoid having the insurance co run an MVR and see he had a few nasty tickets. He didn't want to pay the higher premium.

Zero102
03-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Dannie,

The wording in the MVAA specifies that you must make the application to transfer the plates, not simply intend to make the application:

(3) At any time during the registration year for which the licence
plates are issued, the person to whom they are issued may apply to
the Minister to use the plates on another vehicle to be registered in
that person's name, if the application is made within 14 days after
acquiring ownership of the other vehicle and, notwithstanding
sections 34 and 51, that person may display the plates on the newly
acquired vehicle and operate or permit another person to operate
the vehicle on a highway during that 14-day period.

I suppose further to simply replacing your old vehicle, this also requires that you transfer the registration within 14 days of buying the vehicle, otherwise you technically were driving with invalid registration for those 14 days if you do not make the application, but still drive the vehicle. Am I reading this right?

dannie
03-23-2012, 07:34 AM
Zero, you are bang on the money :)

Thanks for retrieving that portion for me. It's too early -.- lol

Now, all that being said, it's about the transfer of plate. I've found a lot of people will transfer the plate off their old car, put it on the new car, register it and then keep their old car as a winter beater. So they aren't selling the old car per se. Which is absolutely fine and dandy too (edit: providing the old car is not being driven and parked on their own property)

J-hop
03-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Dannie do you work for an AMA registry by chance?

dannie
03-23-2012, 08:14 AM
@ j-hop, nope. I own a registry. I've got nothing to do with AMA :)

Masked Bandit
03-23-2012, 08:43 AM
@ masked bandit.... Yup, you got it. The officer will ask you outright. I know of two districts that have a mandate that states when this scenario happens, they are to retrieve the proof of transfer from cpic two weeks later and make sure it's done. If its not, that officer is to issue the ticket.

I'd have to double check policy on whether the wording is "intend" to use or "will" use.

** as an exmple of this - there is a guy who was pulled over in his new high end sports car. Gets asked for his documentation and pulls out the 14 day rule and hands the officer all the proper documents. Looks legit at the beginning but notices the info is 2 days past the 14 days. Guy whips out 6 bills of sale, each dated 2 weeks apart (dumbass btw). Long story short, he was creating multiple fraudulent bills of sale for about a year so that he could avoid having the insurance co run an MVR and see he had a few nasty tickets. He didn't want to pay the higher premium.

I love that example dannie, how dumb does someone have to be to produce multiple bills of sale. I'm sure he's not the first guy to try this tactic but at least have the common sense to keep the right "fake" bill of sale with you for the appropriate time frame. Dumbass.

As for the 14 day thing, this is getting pretty murky and I wish we had a CPS member from the traffic division on the board.

From an insurance perspective, the 14 day window for a newly acquired automobile has no restrictions regarding the "old" vehicle. It works whether or not the new vehicle is a replacement or simply an addition. There are a few other conditions that must be met for the 14 day rule to apply but they have nothing to do with the future intentions of the original vehicle. You had me second guessing myself so I had to read through the SPF 1 this morning.

So dannie, by the letter of the registration law, you are saying that the only way someone can use a plate from their current vehicle on the newly acquired vehicle is if you are going to transfer the registration. So if that is NOT my intent, how am I supposed to get this new vehicle home if it's simply an addition to my "fleet" instead of a substitution? My insurance would be valid but how do we take care of the registration angle?

This isn't an argument rather a mission to find the truth. Being in the position I am I often have clients ask me how to handle this situation and apparantly I've been giving them incorrect advice for many years.

The other angle is what the actual level of enforcement by CPS is. Technically it's illegal to do 101 kph on Deerfoot but no cop in their right mind would ever issue a ticket for it. Is that possibly the situation here? The example you gave of the guy with multiple bills of sale is a little different. The guy was obviously out to screw the system.

On a side note, which office are you with? I always like to try to support Beyonders where I can and I often have clients ask me which registry office to go to.

guessboi
03-23-2012, 12:13 PM
I get this same question on a daily basis too. (just like Masked Bandit and advice the same)

If they simply want to take the car home without doing the registration first...

I will advice them the 14 days newly acquired vehicle insurance rule. The client would usually take their plate off from the old vehicle and drive the new vehicle home with the existing plate, a copy of their current policy / pink card / bill of sale with them in case they get pull over. (I DO advise them they might get pull over)

So the right way is to keep this old plate for the new vehicle when they register the vehicle?

dannie
03-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Sorry it took a few hours to get back to you. It's been an eventful morning. Let's break the questions down :)

From an insurance perspective, the 14 day window for a newly acquired automobile has no restrictions regarding the "old" vehicle. It works whether or not the new vehicle is a replacement or simply an addition. There are a few other conditions that must be met for the 14 day rule to apply but they have nothing to do with the future intentions of the original vehicle. You had me second guessing myself so I had to read through the SPF 1 this morning.

So dannie, by the letter of the registration law, you are saying that the only way someone can use a plate from their current vehicle on the newly acquired vehicle is if you are going to transfer the registration. So if that is NOT my intent, how am I supposed to get this new vehicle home if it's simply an addition to my "fleet" instead of a substitution? My insurance would be valid but how do we take care of the registration angle?

So assuming you bought this new car and you are simply adding it to your fleet of vehicles, it's easy. You can either obtain an intransit permit or you can just register it. Think of it this way. When you finance a vehicle at a dealership, they will not let you leave without proof of valid insurance and a copy of the registration (at least at most dealerships). In that case, you would take your paperwork to the registry and register the car and then go pick it up. Just like always. It leads to a couple of steps more in the process, but legally, that is the way it is.

The other option would be that intransit permit. Stop by the registry on the way to pick up the vehicle with the insurance and bill of sale and drive home with that

This isn't an argument rather a mission to find the truth. Being in the position I am I often have clients ask me how to handle this situation and apparantly I've been giving them incorrect advice for many years.

I actually really like the fact that you are asking. I'm not taking this as an argument at all :) In fact, I take calls like this from insurance agents quite often. I appreciate the fact that they are calling to make sure they understand it too. I get a lot of calls about things on Abstracts as well. So, by all means... feel free to ask. My PM box is always open :)

The other angle is what the actual level of enforcement by CPS is. Technically it's illegal to do 101 kph on Deerfoot but no cop in their right mind would ever issue a ticket for it. Is that possibly the situation here? The example you gave of the guy with multiple bills of sale is a little different. The guy was obviously out to screw the system.

I like that specific example because it was so fucking random, but it also gave a great example of how people try to use the 14 day rule and break laws with it. I could give you a few more of people who have used it in less of a douchebag kinda way too... lol people are stupid.

I've got a great working relationship with a few police districts in the city and know a number of guys on the traffic division as well. The answer will vary depending on who you talk to and what district they are in. As I stated, there are 2 districts that have an actual mandate to check on the transfer status on cpic. If an officer from those districts pulls you over and you plead the 14 rule, they will run your plates on cpic 2 weeks later and ensure you have complied.

Other officers/districts use their discretion. I know of one guy on the traffic division that will generally give people the benefit of the doubt.

dannie
03-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by guessboi
I get this same question on a daily basis too. (just like Masked Bandit and advice the same)

If they simply want to take the car home without doing the registration first...

I will advice them the 14 days newly acquired vehicle insurance rule. The client would usually take their plate off from the old vehicle and drive the new vehicle home with the existing plate, a copy of their current policy / pink card / bill of sale with them in case they get pull over. (I DO advise them they might get pull over)

So the right way is to keep this old plate for the new vehicle when they register the vehicle?

Sorry, I was busy typing like a mofo while you posted your question after Masked Bandit.

You are correct. If they want to drive the car home without registering, they must be using that old plate on the new car permanently. Taking the plate off the old car, putting it on the new car and then putting it back on the old car is not legal.

Alternatively, hit the registry before you go pick up the car. You gotta stop by there at some point anyways :)

In all honesty guys, it comes down to whatever the client is willing to risk. If they don't give a shit about the slight chance of the ticket (like 90% of people), then for sure... give it a shot. If you don't wanna risk the ticket, then you have to do it all above board.

At the end of the day, the client is risking a Misuse of a Licence Plate ticket and the chance of impounding the vehicle.

03ozwhip
03-23-2012, 02:43 PM
the guy that just bought my GT4 came down from edmonton. he didnt have insurance, only his plate from his other car and the bill of sale. as luck would have it, once he got back to Edmonton(same day) he got stopped for speeding.

they told him that as long as its a newly bought car, with a valid registration and bill of sale, its good for 14 days.

Masked Bandit
03-23-2012, 03:10 PM
I suspect there are a lot of LEO's that aren't 100% sure on some of the finer details so that's not a giant surprise. Like I said before, I deal with this every day and I was convinced that insurance AND registration were good for 14 days.

95teetee
03-24-2012, 09:24 AM

You are correct. If they want to drive the car home without registering, they must be using that old plate on the new car permanently. Taking the plate off the old car, putting it on the new car and then putting it back on the old car is not legal.

At the end of the day, the client is risking a Misuse of a Licence Plate ticket and the chance of impounding the vehicle. could you (hypothetically, to make everything 100% legal) put the plate from the old car(A) on the new car (B), which gives you the legal 14 day period, then register the old plate to (B), and then get a new plate for (A).
?

Zero102
03-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 95teetee
could you (hypothetically, to make everything 100% legal) put the plate from the old car(A) on the new car (B), which gives you the legal 14 day period, then register the old plate to (B), and then get a new plate for (A).
?

From my understanding of the laws the ONLY way it is legal is if you register the old plate to the new car. What you do with the old car is irrelevant, you can get a new plate for it and keep it if you like.

You are allowed to put the old plate on the new car only under the condition that it will be staying there, and that the transfer will be made within 14 days.

dannie
03-24-2012, 11:13 AM
@ 95tee... yup! It would definitely work. The only hinderance is that you will be paying more money to do that. You'd pay $22.45 to transfer the plate from car A to car B and then pay for new registration on car A.

and Zero... you got it!! You're understanding is correct

@ Masked Bandit.. Ya, lots of agents are misinformed, but that doesn't mean they can't get informed! And if you have a contact in the industry, it certainly helps to know them so can clarify situations such as this

Zero102
03-24-2012, 11:22 AM
@ 95tee... yup! It would definitely work. The only hinderance is that you will be paying more money to do that. You'd pay $22.45 to transfer the plate from car A to car B and then pay for new registration on car A.

The best way to avoid that extra charge is to renew your plate at the time you change the information on it. When you renew you are allowed to change the car the plate is registered to and/or your address for free.

I seem to change cars frequently so I only renew for 1 year at a time, the tiny savings realized when renewing for 2 years at a time are more than offset by saving the ~$20 every time I need to change my address or the vehicle on each plate.