PDA

View Full Version : New Jeep SRT8 vs Used BMW X5M

Sailz
03-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Friend of mine is in the market for a new SUV, and posed this question to me. New 2012 Jeep SRT8 vs Used 2010 BMW X5M (approx. 22k miles). He plans to use this vehicle as a daily driver with occasional trips to the mountains. Thoughts?

Decision is price neutral

K3RMiTdot
03-20-2012, 10:49 PM
X5M...
i have a feeling youll see the SRT-8's a whole lot more as year goes by.. Although they're nice.

X5M all the way... quick as hell. looks good too

Redlyne_mr2
03-20-2012, 10:59 PM
X5M, easy choice.

Disoblige
03-20-2012, 11:07 PM
I agree, X5M no doubt. Only alternative I'd take over X5M is Cayenne Turbo :bigpimp:

DEATH2000
03-21-2012, 12:20 AM
X5M. Way nicer then the SRT

Shlade
03-21-2012, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
X5M...
i have a feeling youll see the SRT-8's a whole lot more as year goes by.. Although they're nice.

X5M all the way... quick as hell. looks good too

No offense but how many SRT8 jeeps do you see?

07s are still going for a lot of money and theres few of them on the road that I see... Ive spoken to a few SRT8 owners and they LOVE them.

If I had the choice id go with the SRT8 jeep.

manny18
03-21-2012, 05:52 AM
id say srt-8 , you barely see them and you NEVER see any new ones. Plus the Jeep will be more reliable. My old boss traded her X5 (non m) for a Jeep because it was a never ending trip to the dealer for repairs. it was brand new

BokCh0y
03-21-2012, 06:19 AM
X5M all the way.

Maxt
03-21-2012, 06:36 AM
New SRT8 interior is A+........... Old one is so so... For reliability and service costs, go for the SRT8.

dirtsniffer
03-21-2012, 07:15 AM
I'd say x5m allll day. just get the extended warranty. :love:

you&me
03-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
I agree, X5M no doubt. Only alternative I'd take over X5M is Cayenne Turbo :bigpimp:

Interesting. I'm shopping between those two and have decided to stick to looking for an X5M...

colinxx235
03-21-2012, 07:58 AM
^

I'd agree, for the cost difference of the Porsche I'd go with X5M as well. The looks are great, plus if you feel you need some more HP that is what Dinan does.

X5M > SRT8 any day of the week... not even close.

@Shlade - I see SRT8's every day. Quite a few people in the mckenzie/copperfield area own them. I've seen the douche in the silver one pulled over two times since summer, guy doesn't learn.

K3RMiTdot
03-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Shlade

No offense but how many SRT8 jeeps do you see?

07s are still going for a lot of money and theres few of them on the road that I see... Ive spoken to a few SRT8 owners and they LOVE them.

If I had the choice id go with the SRT8 jeep.

A lot... i work downtown at a hotel, so i pretty much stand outside all day. i see a bunch a day.

even seen the new one

johnboy27
03-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
New SRT8 interior is A+........... Old one is so so... For reliability and service costs, go for the SRT8.
I wouldn't say the SRT-8 is more reliable and maintanence on them really isn't cheap either. My supervisors SRT-8 died at 5000 km's . I believe it dropped a valve. Also, his fuel economy is absolutely horrible. Before modifications it was about 10 mpg I belive but since having the motor rebuilt and then modifying it it is about 4 mpg.LOL I am sure the BMW would be better.

94boosted
03-21-2012, 08:04 AM
SRT-8 for sure, the two years of extra warranty alone plus the fact that it's a brand new car :dunno:

Masked Bandit
03-21-2012, 08:39 AM
I know this site is full of import fanboys (rightfully so sometimes) but to me the SRT8 and X5M are two completely different animals. The BMW is more polished but the Jeep is a straight up hot rod. Yes I know the BMW has more power but that's just my perception of the two machines.

Hallowed_point
03-21-2012, 08:48 AM
If your going to get a Jeep SRT8 , I'd opt for one of the older ones...I think that new model I saw at the 2012 Calgary International Auto Show was horrendous. They have ruined the stance and aggressive look of the Jeep SRT8 imo :thumbsdow

wardpr68
03-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot

A lot... i work downtown at a hotel, so i pretty much stand outside all day. i see a bunch a day.

even seen the new one

I would like to inform you that you are wrong. Only 1 has been sold in all of Calgary. Would you like to guess what color so you can be wrong again?

KRyn
03-21-2012, 08:52 AM
I would have to go with the X5M! Such a beautiful SUV and as previously mentioned, a tune from Dinan will really have it moving!
:thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
03-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Try out the launch control on the X5M, you'll be sold.

K3RMiTdot
03-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by wardpr68

I would like to inform you that you are wrong. Only 1 has been sold in all of Calgary. Would you like to guess what color so you can be wrong again?

maybe i didnt make myself clear, i saw a lot of the previous generation.

I've seen ONE of the newest in black.

euro_racer
03-21-2012, 09:49 AM

you sure about that?.... i have for sure seen a grey one and a red one around town. the grey one was right in front of my house visiting with my neighbors

wardpr68
03-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Absolutely positive. The only one that has been sold in Calgary is black.

benyl
03-21-2012, 11:20 AM

I saw a black one at the beacon hill Costco about 1-2 months ago.

Sugarphreak
03-21-2012, 12:12 PM

Maxt
03-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by johnboy27

I wouldn't say the SRT-8 is more reliable and maintanence on them really isn't cheap either. My supervisors SRT-8 died at 5000 km's . I believe it dropped a valve. Also, his fuel economy is absolutely horrible. Before modifications it was about 10 mpg I belive but since having the motor rebuilt and then modifying it it is about 4 mpg.LOL I am sure the BMW would be better.
I got mine with 50,000 km's on it, the dealer service records indicate that this one had never been in for any kinda of required repair other than routine maintenance.
I would really like to know what people do to the SRT8 to get bad gas mileage.Even driving like a complete jackass, I mean kicked down running it the redline, launching hard from every light, the worst I have been able to get is 13 mpg.. Combined driving I am averaging 15 mpg with it, when highway cruising its between 18.5-20 depending on what speed I am driving, hand calculated..
I really doubt people are getting 4 mpg, what makes it seem like its bad on gas , is the stupid small gas tank. From nearly empty, the most I have been able to get into this thing is 60 litres.. My RX7 holds 60 litres.. its stunned but it could be a product of the dual exhaust packaging. This thing should have a 100 litre tank min.. I have an old Dodge with a 440 and even it won't stoop to 4 mpg locked in idiot mode..

I looked at the x5m/cayenne/gwagon.. srt8 was the best bang for the buck. The other thing that put me off is the lack of dealer choice with the other brands.. If it breaks down somewhere outside of Calgary, there are a hell of a lot more Jeep dealers than bmw/Porsche/Merc...

Eleanor
03-22-2012, 11:31 AM
SRT8 :thumbsup:

X5M will cost you an arm & leg in maintenance and the Jeep will gets 1000000x more looks.

Disoblige
03-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
SRT8 :thumbsup:

X5M will cost you an arm & leg in maintenance and the Jeep will gets 1000000x more looks.
I think it's all due to preference. I would double-take an X5M (white especially) any day, but SRT8 jeep I'd just wait for it to accelerate when the light turns green. Sounds really nice for sure, but really you'd expect it to.

colinxx235
03-22-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm really curious how many of the people commenting have driven both. The SRT8 is definitely a nice vehicle but besides performance numbers I don't think it really compares to the X5M of all vehicles.

Much smoother, handling, way nicer interior/technology. Plus then you don't have to work with the incompetent Jeep dealership who seems to love destroying their own cars during maintenance (bad personal experience)

Cos
03-22-2012, 12:52 PM

wardpr68
03-22-2012, 12:58 PM
indeed. Yes, black is the only one in Calgary, SO FAR.

Masked Bandit
03-22-2012, 01:39 PM

I got mine with 50,000 km's on it, the dealer service records indicate that this one had never been in for any kinda of required repair other than routine maintenance.
I would really like to know what people do to the SRT8 to get bad gas mileage.Even driving like a complete jackass, I mean kicked down running it the redline, launching hard from every light, the worst I have been able to get is 13 mpg.. Combined driving I am averaging 15 mpg with it, when highway cruising its between 18.5-20 depending on what speed I am driving, hand calculated..
I really doubt people are getting 4 mpg, what makes it seem like its bad on gas , is the stupid small gas tank. From nearly empty, the most I have been able to get into this thing is 60 litres.. My RX7 holds 60 litres.. its stunned but it could be a product of the dual exhaust packaging. This thing should have a 100 litre tank min.. I have an old Dodge with a 440 and even it won't stoop to 4 mpg locked in idiot mode..

I'm surprised to hear those numbers on the fuel consumption. I thought they would be a lot worse. It's actually the main reason I've avoided that vehicle. For your calculation, how many litres are you using as a gallon, 3.78, 4 or 4.54? Basically what I'm after is your real world numbers on L / 100 KM.

colinxx235
03-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

I'm surprised to hear those numbers on the fuel consumption. I thought they would be a lot worse. It's actually the main reason I've avoided that vehicle. For your calculation, how many litres are you using as a gallon, 3.78, 4 or 4.54? Basically what I'm after is your real world numbers on L / 100 KM.

agreed... those I know with them run a pretty steady 18-19L/100km

and the GC hemi model wasn't too much less than that...

max_boost
03-22-2012, 02:27 PM
X5M looks amazing. I'm sure it drives amazing too. Just remember to get a radar/laser combo. :burnout: :drool:

Eleanor
03-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
I think it's all due to preference. I would double-take an X5M (white especially) any day, but SRT8 jeep I'd just wait for it to accelerate when the light turns green. Sounds really nice for sure, but really you'd expect it to. One, thanks for quoting my horrible grammar so now I can't fix it :rofl:

Two, sure, but you're a car buff. Put an X5M next to a regular X5, most people couldn't tell you which is which. The GC SRT8 looks wayyy different. Plus overall it's a better looking SUV IMO. The X5 is bland.

Maxt
03-22-2012, 05:57 PM

I was prepared for worse, actually a lot worse, but its really not all that bad.. I use 3.78 so I can compare to the trip computer readout to see how out of whack it is, sometimes its dead nuts on, sometimes 3 mpg high, I think coasting throws it off quite bit, if you hit a lot of hills.
I like to work in US units so I havent really bothered with the l/100km on my hand calcs, so you would have to calculate it from my mpg's.
The motor doesn't have to work all that hard to push it around most of the time, so it can at times be better on fuel that other vehicles with smaller engines. During the heavy winds a few weeks back, I had 25 mpg on the trip computer, but I knew it was wind aided.:D
If you look at some of the online mileage surveys, the srt8 actually got better mileage than the 5.7 models in the 300c and what not.

Maxt
03-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

agreed... those I know with them run a pretty steady 18-19L/100km

and the GC hemi model wasn't too much less than that...
That is around the mileage converted I get driving aggressive by my standards, which I guess if people are going to drive like that, they have to live with that kind of mileage, although they don't have to.
I am not one of those high powered SUV stereotypes that has to constantly be first at the next light, or in front of everyone. I guess I could be accused of being a hypermiler sometimes. I coast out a lot of lights instead of stopping and starting, and pick my spots to have my fun so the acceleration isn't wasted into braking 8 seconds later( brakes cost money to).

gpomp
03-22-2012, 07:30 PM
obviously the 100k bmw will be better than a 60k jeep. even used the x5m is 80-90k. this is almost as bad as the thread comparing a 335 to a c63.

trieuth
03-22-2012, 07:42 PM
indeed. Yes, black is the only one in Calgary, SO FAR.

Cochrane dodge has sold a grey one

johnboy27
03-22-2012, 07:54 PM

I looked at the x5m/cayenne/gwagon.. srt8 was the best bang for the buck. The other thing that put me off is the lack of dealer choice with the other brands.. If it breaks down somewhere outside of Calgary, there are a hell of a lot more Jeep dealers than bmw/Porsche/Merc...
I am using the numbers he gave me. He also cares nothing about the price of gas as he makes a shitload of money and has no kids or any other responsibilities. As for his current 4 mpg, that is about correct as he has bumped it up over 600 hp . Davenport has done everything possible to the Jeep to date. the only thing left that he could do is a stroker motor.

Cos
03-22-2012, 08:45 PM

Maxt
03-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by johnboy27

I am using the numbers he gave me. He also cares nothing about the price of gas as he makes a shitload of money and has no kids or any other responsibilities. As for his current 4 mpg, that is about correct as he has bumped it up over 600 hp . Davenport has done everything possible to the Jeep to date. the only thing left that he could do is a stroker motor.
If he is driving around constantly floored well maybe, but you don't need 600 hp to do 100 km/hr down deerfoot, you need about 48 hp, so it won't be getting 4 mpg doing things like that, unless the tune is way way way way way off..
Now that we have totally fucked this thread up...

johnboy27
03-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Hang on you are bashing a jeep because your supervisor suped it up to 600hp, it gets shitty mileage, the guy drives aggressive because he doesnt care about mileage and he blew it at 5000k?

To have a fair comparison we need to find a X5M that is all suped up like that too.
I was bashing it's reliability because the fucking motor died with less than 5000 km's on it. He told me his mileage was about 10 mpg after the new motor( prior to any motor work). Since the new motor from Dodge he decided to just void his warranty and do everything to the motor and tranny. The first failure of the motor was 0% his fault. I believe it spun a bearing and Dodge replaced it with no issues. I was not comparing it in it's current state, it was unreliable when it was stock. Of course it willl get shitty mileage now , he didn't really care about that. I was just commenting because somebody put Jeep/Dodge in the same sentence as "reliable" .
So far he has had the motor failure prior to any mods and then after some mods he was driving down the highway and some solenoid on the transmission blew off at 120 km/hr. Dodge still warrantied that because he had no mods to the transmission at that time.

johnboy27
03-22-2012, 10:16 PM

If he is driving around constantly floored well maybe, but you don't need 600 hp to do 100 km/hr down deerfoot, you need about 48 hp, so it won't be getting 4 mpg doing things like that, unless the tune is way way way way way off..
Now that we have totally fucked this thread up...
All the tuning has been done by Davenport and the mileage numd=bers are before this winters custom transmission installation and the cam and lifters. Mileage was with, exhaust , headers,supercharger and a handful of other mods. Not sure what this years numbers would be like as it is still at Davenport being tuned.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-22-2012, 10:16 PM
In this thread: Anecdotes = Evidence!

m10-power
03-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Jeep wouldn't even make my list, for this type of vehicle you really have two choices

X5M or Cayenne Turbo

I'd take the Porsche, although I have not driving the X5M and from the reviews it's pretty awesome. Just couldn't buy or deal with the local dealer personally.

Porsche has been great to deal with on the other hand.

barmanjay
03-23-2012, 12:45 AM
$0.02

X5M = beast

From friends that own(ed) X5's: they are constantly in the shop for one thing or another.

But you gotta pay to play.

A little insight to the new grand cherokee.

This new design took alot from the Mercedes ML and GL

I remember watching a guy crawl under the jeep in a showroom and go "yup, exactly the same floor pan and suspension as the Mercedes I was looking at"

The new 6.4 is a beast, but still a pushrod motor. Not as refined as a BMW.

Choice really comes down to if you want domestic or not.

If I were to choose an Import,.. I would be hard pressed to choose between BMW and Mercedes, Porsche doesn't do it for me. However if I were to choose domestic,.. the jeep wins hands downs.

The BMW and Jeep can't be classed well together even thought the jeep is Mercedes inspired. It's still a domestic, the fit and finish is not the same as a BMW or Mercedes.

Maxt
03-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by barmanjay

The BMW and Jeep can't be classed well together even thought the jeep is Mercedes inspired. It's still a domestic, the fit and finish is not the same as a BMW or Mercedes. [/B]
The new Jeep interior I think is easily on par with those makes... The exterior styling of all of them however is pukey. Except the Gwagon, best looking SUV on the planet and the only Merc worth looking at..

Originally posted by m10-power
Jeep wouldn't even make my list, for this type of vehicle you really have two choices

X5M or Cayenne Turbo

I'd take the Porsche, although I have not driving the X5M and from the reviews it's pretty awesome. Just couldn't buy or deal with the local dealer personally.

Porsche has been great to deal with on the other hand.
Beetle with flower vase in the dash fanboy....

:poosie:

colinxx235
03-23-2012, 08:03 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maxt
[B]
The new Jeep interior I think is easily on par with those makes... The exterior styling of all of them however is pukey. Except the Gwagon, best looking SUV on the planet and the only Merc worth looking at..

wait so you're saying this

http://www.newcarmodels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/2012-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt8-interior-view.jpg

is on par with this....

http://diantzdesign.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/2012-Mercedes-Benz-ML63-AMG-Interior-View.jpg

edit, i'll go further with another angle...

http://www.newcarmodels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/2012-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt8-interior-angel.jpg

versus

http://diantzdesign.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/2012-Mercedes-Benz-ML63-AMG-Steering-Wheel-View.jpg

Cos
03-23-2012, 08:26 AM

colinxx235
03-23-2012, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Cos

I wouldnt compare to the Merc but the X5 doesnt have the nicest interior I have ever seen:

Well he said those "makes" and I wouldn't classify the Jeep anywhere near the Porsche/Merc.

The X5M in tan is fucking ugly I will give you that. Black is much different. I would really be impressed if they put an effort to spruce up the console/steerwheel as a change. and also the heating control area. But I would still put it over the SRT8.

My big difference is the drive you get out of an X5M vs the SRT8. Granted I have not driven a new SRT8 and don't know how much difference.

Maxt
03-23-2012, 08:45 AM
[B]

http://www.newcarmodels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/2012-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt8-interior-view.jpg

is on par with this....

http://diantzdesign.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/2012-Mercedes-Benz-ML63-AMG-Interior-View.jpg

http://www.newcarmodels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/2012-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt8-interior-angel.jpg

versus

http://diantzdesign.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/2012-Mercedes-Benz-ML63-AMG-Steering-Wheel-View.jpg
The fit and finish is there, and the plastics are as good if not better.. You can't sit in a photo aside from the fact you picked the blandest jeep interior shade you could..

The only thing wrong with the Jeep interior is steering wheel which is tacky in all jeep vehicles...
Besides the Jeep electronics will still work after 15,000 km... :thumbsup:

OP might want to wait for a bit, the 2013 SRT8 will have a supercharger option, 570-630 hp being reported.

Masked Bandit
03-23-2012, 08:51 AM
[B]

is on par with this....

versus

In the first two pictures I would actually say yes, they are comparable. Pictures are one thing though, what is it like to sit in & feel the materials?

On that second set of picutres though I have to concede, the MB interior is SICK! I didn't think I would ever see a steering wheel that was so attractive! The BMW interior shot that COS posted almost looks like a rental vehicle. :thumbsdow

colinxx235
03-23-2012, 08:51 AM

The fit and finish is there, and the plastics are as good if not better.. You can't sit in a photo aside from the fact you picked the blandest jeep interior shade you could..

The only thing wrong with the Jeep interior is steering wheel which is tacky in all jeep vehicles...

OP might want to wait for a bit, the 2013 SRT8 will have a supercharger option, 570-630 hp being reported.

I googled 2012 SRT8 interior and grabbed some of the first pics I could find :dunno:

What is wrong with Mercedes electronics? Moms has been working just find. Dads business partners had a ML550 and ML63 for 5 and 4 years respectively without issue as well...

Masked Bandit
03-23-2012, 08:54 AM

You might want to ask 03ozwhip what he thinks about Chrysler electronics, the center stack on his brand new Journey R/T crapped out in the first 24 hours. Isolated case obviously but no brand is immune from lemons.

Personally I would still be all over the new Jeep.

Maxt
03-23-2012, 09:06 AM
I had 2 MB Sprinters that were brand new,of both generations, one an 05, one an 08, simply the worst most unreliable vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of operating e.. Bad harnesses, bad computers, bad plugs, bad switches.
There are 2 things I would never have an MB vehicle for, a work vehicle and an ambulance..
My first sprinter, Canadian model , so built in Germany, actually spent more time at the dealer, than in my possession.
There is a reason the Japanese Mafia has gone back to driving Toyota Crown's...
I know a current 2011 ML Owner that is ready to drive his ML through the front glass of his dealer and leave it there..
It turns on things by itself in the middle of the night, drains the battery , he then has it towed to MB , who can't find anything wrong and then charges him the diagnostic fee everytime...

benyl
03-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Most of the interior pieces of cars aren't even built by the same manufacturer.

The Gauge cluster surround in the SRT8 looks like the one in the ML. Same "3D" cluster.

The window switches look the same.

The gear lever on Chryslers is still left over from Daimler and so are the keys.

Sugarphreak
03-23-2012, 09:29 AM

colinxx235
03-23-2012, 09:32 AM

In the first two pictures I would actually say yes, they are comparable. Pictures are one thing though, what is it like to sit in & feel the materials?

On that second set of picutres though I have to concede, the MB interior is SICK! I didn't think I would ever see a steering wheel that was so attractive! The BMW interior shot that COS posted almost looks like a rental vehicle. :thumbsdow

Honestly the ML63 to sit in is absolutely amazing. The steering wheel is pure sex hahaha. Great seats and everything.

I don't know many people who would pick that tan color, its barf.
Our X5 5.0M is Carbon black w/ black interior, huge difference.

benyl
03-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

If they were priced the same, I'd take a 335i over a C63 any day of the week

No you wouldn't. haha

I've had both at the same time.

Unless you are one of those guys who "needs" to feel connected to the car with a manual (which I think you are), there isn't a compelling reason to get a 335 over a C63.

Sugarphreak
03-23-2012, 09:36 AM

Commanderwiggin
03-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Easy decision...go drive an X5 (M package or not!) and then go drive an SRT8...it's as simple as that.

You WILL pick the X5

littledan
03-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Yeah man, you can't pick up LGs rollin in a JEEP! :rofl:

Maxt
03-23-2012, 05:24 PM
It's to bad you can't buy passenger car vehicles like HD tractor units, where you pick your truck body, pick your engine and transmission manufacturer plus all your other options from the 3rd party supplier of your choice..

Darell_n
03-23-2012, 09:40 PM
It's to bad you can't buy passenger car vehicles like HD tractor units, where you pick your truck body, pick your engine and transmission manufacturer plus all your other options from the 3rd party supplier of your choice..

You can, but not cheaply. My neighbor growing up was a partner in Grizzly trucks. Not exactly a passenger car company, but the right idea.

K3RMiTdot
03-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by barmanjay
$0.02

X5M = beast

From friends that own(ed) X5's: they are constantly in the shop for one thing or another.

But you gotta pay to play.

A little insight to the new grand cherokee.

This new design took alot from the Mercedes ML and GL

I remember watching a guy crawl under the jeep in a showroom and go "yup, exactly the same floor pan and suspension as the Mercedes I was looking at"

The new 6.4 is a beast, but still a pushrod motor. Not as refined as a BMW.

Choice really comes down to if you want domestic or not.

If I were to choose an Import,.. I would be hard pressed to choose between BMW and Mercedes, Porsche doesn't do it for me. However if I were to choose domestic,.. the jeep wins hands downs.

The BMW and Jeep can't be classed well together even thought the jeep is Mercedes inspired. It's still a domestic, the fit and finish is not the same as a BMW or Mercedes.

well the jeep and the ml is built on the same platform

Illusive 4-2
03-24-2012, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Bang on for the transmission; that and I geniunly dislike Mercedes because they feel like boats. I really would take a 335i over a C63.

Becides wouldn't a C63 be better compared to an M3?

Price wise, the 335is is comparable to a C63 if you option up the BMW to match the stock options on the C63. If you load up the 335is, it's only a few grand less than a comparable C63.

Redlyne_mr2
03-24-2012, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by m10-power

haha don't give me that bs excuse.. you can come drive one anytime with a quick phone call and you know you'll get top shelf service. :D

Graham_A_M
04-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Brakes on the Jeep are fucking STUPIDLY expensive, and a lot more common then you'd want. Almost makes the cost of ownership of the BMW justified.
I'd go with the X5, a lot nicer in a multitude of ways.

Ukyo8
04-24-2012, 10:21 PM
I'd go with a new SRT8
Only douchebags drive BMW's :D

Singulari
05-07-2012, 10:02 PM

My neighbour has a black one :dunno: :dunno:.
He's a millionaire and I think he brought it from the U.S. I'll have to double check on that one.

kfon
05-07-2012, 10:18 PM
BMW X5M is for Dior sunglasses wearing, ed hardy rocking, Collar popping dbags...kidding aside. Good looking car, but like someone said earlier. Its hard to put these two side by side. one is a hot rod one is a euro baller. One screams, i want to go fast and pick on cars, the other is more subtle and shows class.

i pick the SRT-8, the interior is probably the best ive seen in a lot of vehicles.

The only SRT8 sold in calgary is on 28st NE, near Garagebox and eastside dodge. It has blacked out tail lights. Very good looking truck.

InRich
05-07-2012, 10:19 PM
i'd personally even take the normal x5 m package over that new SRT. its just a classier car :D

m10-power
05-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

haha don't give me that bs excuse.. you can come drive one anytime with a quick phone call and you know you'll get top shelf service. :D

:thumbsup:

VWEvo
05-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by kfon
BMW X5M is for Dior sunglasses wearing, ed hardy rocking, Collar popping dbags...kidding aside. Good looking car, but like someone said earlier. Its hard to put these two side by side. one is a hot rod one is a euro baller. One screams, i want to go fast and pick on cars, the other is more subtle and shows class.

i pick the SRT-8, the interior is probably the best ive seen in a lot of vehicles.

The only SRT8 sold in calgary is on 28st NE, near Garagebox and eastside dodge. It has blacked out tail lights. Very good looking truck.

Only SRT8?? I've already seen 2 or 3 of these in the last few weeks.

Lo Pro
05-08-2012, 09:55 AM

And anything with a hemi is for trucker hat wearing, tooth missing, cousin banging rednecks who think "American muscle" is the be all - end all of automotive machinery.... All kidding aside :thumbsdow

Srt8 is a go fast in a straight line machine... The x5m handles much better, is classier, and as long as you leave the Dior bug eyes at home and rock your Tom Ford aviators you're golden.

colinxx235
05-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Lo Pro

And anything with a hemi is for trucker hat wearing, tooth missing, cousin banging rednecks who think "American muscle" is the be all - end all of automotive machinery.... All kidding aside :thumbsdow

Srt8 is a go fast in a straight line machine... The x5m handles much better, is classier, and as long as you leave the Dior bug eyes at home and rock your Tom Ford aviators you're golden.

+1 I still can't believe they are being compared.

P.s. look what he drives. Ram and a harley :rofl:

Hallowed_point
05-08-2012, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't get a new SRT8 Jeep...the older styling was much better imo. The older styling looked more like a factory hot rod with the rake stance, exhaust etc. The new styling looks like a regular Grand Cherokee to me :thumbsdow

InRich
05-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I wouldn't get a new SRT8 Jeep...the older styling was much better imo. The older styling looked more like a factory hot rod with the rake stance, exhaust etc. The new styling looks like a regular Grand Cherokee to me :thumbsdow

plus the wheels are the ugliest I have even seen. I would rather take stock GC's wheels over the SRT ones... if I drove that car, those wheels wouldnt be sitting on that car very long...

kfon
05-08-2012, 10:21 PM
never knew there was more sold in Calgary, someone previosly mentioned that there was only one. So thats the ONLY one ive seen so far. Which lead to me mentioning it to you guys.

Funny how you guys will start bashing other beyond users just for a comment. So cause I have a RAM and a harley makes me white trash? how about the altima and EL ? weird because all of stereotypes above for driving a hemi really doesn't fit me at all.still...most X5 drivers are pure dbags, and SRT8 drivers are pure assholes with barbwire tattoos. but then again, i was just kidding. comparing would be having their specs and features side by side and then compare. stating the type of people that usually drives them or the motive for someone to buy one, well its quite easy. SRT8 buyer, well just wants to go fast and rip shit. X5M buyer, just wants a luxury SUV with lots of power to spare...see im on topic...so just stick to the topic on which vehicle is better.

Masked Bandit
05-09-2012, 08:39 AM
I'm surprised Ford or GM don't have a dog in this fight (insert Michael Vick joke here). It seems like the HP wars are just as strong today as they have ever been. Cadillac could easily transplant a supercharged V8 into an Escalade and Ford / Lincoln could toss something out just as easily. The Raptor sells fairly well being a truck with bigger muscle, why not do an SUV to compete with some of these other guys?

colinxx235
05-09-2012, 08:48 AM
^

The escalade even with 600+HP could never compete with those vehicles, especially an X5. The speeds I can corner/hit ramps in the X5 is scary. Where as in the escalade the body roll at 60 is hilarious, not to mention double the stopping distance :rofl:

I'm guessing the money to design a performance SUV wouldn't turn out much profits for them. Have to probably heavily modify a SRX and put the cts-v motor into it.

Lo Pro
05-09-2012, 09:58 AM
never knew there was more sold in Calgary, someone previosly mentioned that there was only one. So thats the ONLY one ive seen so far. Which lead to me mentioning it to you guys.

Funny how you guys will start bashing other beyond users just for a comment. So cause I have a RAM and a harley makes me white trash? how about the altima and EL ? weird because all of stereotypes above for driving a hemi really doesn't fit me at all.still...most X5 drivers are pure dbags, and SRT8 drivers are pure assholes with barbwire tattoos. but then again, i was just kidding. comparing would be having their specs and features side by side and then compare. stating the type of people that usually drives them or the motive for someone to buy one, well its quite easy. SRT8 buyer, well just wants to go fast and rip shit. X5M buyer, just wants a luxury SUV with lots of power to spare...see im on topic...so just stick to the topic on which vehicle is better.

I was simply replying to your stereotype with another. Not everyone that drives a BMW/merc/Audi/lex is a dbag, and not everyone that drives a hemi sleeps with their sisters.

I was joking as well, tit for tat.

benyl
05-09-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm surprised Ford or GM don't have a dog in this fight (insert Michael Vick joke here). It seems like the HP wars are just as strong today as they have ever been. Cadillac could easily transplant a supercharged V8 into an Escalade and Ford / Lincoln could toss something out just as easily. The Raptor sells fairly well being a truck with bigger muscle, why not do an SUV to compete with some of these other guys?

CTS-V wagon. You don't need the ground clearance of an X5M or GC STR8, as it is never going off road, so why bother with the high center of gravity?

CapnCrunch
05-09-2012, 03:30 PM
A used BMW? Fuck that.

Lo Pro
05-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
A used BMW? Fuck that.

As long as they are under 100,xxx Kms you're golden

colinxx235
05-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Lo Pro

As long as they are under 100,xxx Kms you're golden

Depends on the model.

I don't think I'd want to buy a X5M in the 80K + range. But that is cause I already know how much we love our X5 :rofl:

Redlyne_jr
05-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Cayenne Turbo > X5M > any north american SUV

msommers
05-10-2012, 10:56 AM
And you pay for it :nut:

Sugarphreak
05-10-2012, 11:27 AM