PDA

View Full Version : just changed my transmission oil to synthetic and...

EstoMax
02-01-2004, 07:19 PM
EVERYONE SHOULD DO THIS!!!!

i put redline mt-90 into my car with 45k miles and probably stock transmission oil in there. the difference is amazing. downshifting is so much smoother, the shifter goes into gear all the time and is much "lighter".

:thumbsup: redline:thumbsup:

happy customer

max

PS I also got these 2 redline stickers when i ordered it.. has to give 5 hp each cause their red and say red line on it!!:rofl:

buzzbomber85gt
02-01-2004, 10:39 PM
did you flush the old fluid out before you switched?? remember to never switch back to regular fluid. so this stuff is good?? when i get my stage 3 clutch I'm gonna get some then...:thumbsup:

EstoMax
02-01-2004, 10:43 PM
i read flushing old stuff out is not important.. my drain cap has a magnet on it so all the metal shavings were on that. i just let it drain until it no longer dripped (~10 mins), then put the new stuff in.

i think i can go a good 30k miles on this without needing a change and it staying in good condition

max

4G63Power
02-02-2004, 02:37 AM
I was running BG Syncroshift in the Talon, and I agree synthetic rocks!!! It made a world of difference, most noticably in the winter...so nice and smooth.

doc_speeder
02-02-2004, 08:15 AM
Old tired VW 020 tranny's like synthetic too!:thumbsup:

buzzbomber85gt
02-02-2004, 10:59 AM
sounds good to me. I might just flush mine sooner than i thought:D

Zero102
02-02-2004, 11:48 AM
You should also try Amsoil. They make a lifetime transmission oil. Although don't ever let it go that long, maybe every 5 years.
Made my heavily abused transmission feel silky smooth like new.

hockeybronx
02-02-2004, 02:31 PM
How do you find out if your car already has synthetic transmission oil in it? I drive a 99.5 Jetta 2.0L and some guys at work said it might already have synthetic in it.

Any ideas? I'll probably switch if it doesn't.

carmex
02-02-2004, 02:49 PM
How much does redline synthetic go for by the litre?

EstoMax
02-02-2004, 03:49 PM
i ordered mine from myoilshop.com.. i think its the cheapest (at least for USA i dono if they ship to canada..)
cost 7$US per quart.. i bought 3 cause my car takes 3 quarts

max

three.eighteen.
02-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
How do you find out if your car already has synthetic transmission oil in it? I drive a 99.5 Jetta 2.0L and some guys at work said it might already have synthetic in it.

Any ideas? I'll probably switch if it doesn't.

taste it, if its salty you have conventional, if it tastes like donuts you have synthetic

EstoMax
02-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

taste it, if its salty you have conventional, if it tastes like donuts you have synthetic

dont swallow it tho ;)
also.. my synthetic smelled kinda like honey, the old shit stank

max

hockeybronx
02-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

Originally posted by EstoMax

dont swallow it tho ;)
also.. my synthetic smelled kinda like honey, the old shit stank

max

Okay Mr. and Mrs. we're out in the woods so we don't have any other way of doing anything. I was looking for a more conventional way of finding out ie. an owners manual, a VW guy who knows everything, a website. I initially thought you guys were joking but now I'm kind of wondering. I suppose when you pull up to the pumps you take a drink of the gas to make sure it's quality and water wasn't added to it too right?

Thanks for your help, I'll wait for some more educated suggestions.

Zero102
02-02-2004, 05:09 PM
hockeybronx, LOL.
Hmm, this gas tastes a little bitter, perhaps I will go to Petro-Canada! =)

Well, for what it's worth, I would change the tranny fluid every 3-4 years anyways, at least on a new car, so it is probably about time to change it, and why not put in synthetic while you are in there.
(Unless the owner's manual saysl ike 10 years or something).

I paid $16 or $17/litre for the Amsoil.

three.eighteen.
02-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Okay Mr. and Mrs. we're out in the woods so we don't have any other way of doing anything. I was looking for a more conventional way of finding out ie. an owners manual, a VW guy who knows everything, a website. I initially thought you guys were joking but now I'm kind of wondering. I suppose when you pull up to the pumps you take a drink of the gas to make sure it's quality and water wasn't added to it too right?

Thanks for your help, I'll wait for some more educated suggestions.

i was making the point that in most certainty...your base model dub probably has conventional transmission oil in it...how special do you really think your car is??