PDA

View Full Version : Attention Casio G-shock watch experts...I need help.

Pacman
03-21-2012, 10:27 AM
I know there are a few of you on here that have an affinity for G-Shock watches.

I'm looking for a G-shock. My budget is between $100 and $150.

I've been to the G-shock website and it's very confusing as there are so many models/styles.

I'm simply looking for something to wear while swimming, working out, vacations etc.

Are there some models that you like that are easy to find locally? I don't want to pay for shipping/duty etc

I know the Bay carries some, and they go on sale occasionally......

Are there any models to avoid for any particular reason?

Thanks
James

lint
03-21-2012, 10:58 AM
I picked up mine from Watch It in Chinook. They seem to have a decent selection. I was totally confused too and just tried on a bunch and picked the one I liked the best http://www.gshock.com/watches/?id=7079C203-CE80-4578-A6D5-962C684AED08

l/l/rX
03-21-2012, 12:08 PM
I can't remember the name of the store at the moment, but in Market Mall, beside Bell, they sell G-Shocks and they do usually fall within the 90-150 range.

spiceboy
03-21-2012, 12:27 PM
There are 3 categories of "technology" in the world of G-shock:

1) Tough - the basic antishock technology that most of the G-shocks carry.
2) Tough Solar - antishock + solar powered
3) Multiband - auto-sync your watch with the closest of the 5-6 radio towers dispersed in the world.

I personally like Tough Solar so that I don't need to change batteries every 2 years. I never opted for one with Multiband function because of some of the reviews I've read. People say that time-sync is not entirely reliable in N. America, especially if you watch stays indoor most of the time (need to be out in the open / close to the window if indoors to get a good signal).

In addition to these 3 basic G-shock categories, you can watches that are equiped with sensors that detect/calculate one or more of the following: temperature, altitude, atmospheric pressure, direction (compass).

After all these are considered (if technology>cosmetic like me), you can pick size and color.

I hope this helps.

flipstah
03-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
I can't remember the name of the store at the moment, but in Market Mall, beside Bell, they sell G-Shocks and they do usually fall within the 90-150 range.

Spareparts

Originally posted by spiceboy
There are 3 categories of "technology" in the world of G-shock:

1) Tough - the basic antishock technology that most of the G-shocks carry.
2) Tough Solar - antishock + solar powered
3) Multiband - auto-sync your watch with the closest of the 5-6 radio towers dispersed in the world.

I personally like Tough Solar so that I don't need to change batteries every 2 years. I never opted for one with Multiband function because of some of the reviews I've read. People say that time-sync is not entirely reliable in N. America, especially if you watch stays indoor most of the time (need to be out in the open / close to the window if indoors to get a good signal).

In addition to these 3 basic G-shock categories, you can watches that are equiped with sensors that detect/calculate one or more of the following: temperature, altitude, atmospheric pressure, direction (compass).

After all these are considered (if technology>cosmetic like me), you can pick size and color.

I hope this helps.

QFT except for the time-sync issue. My G-Shock is a time-sync, autoprogrammable and it's great indoors.

:thumbsup:

johnny0214
03-21-2012, 01:01 PM
My G Shock is able to time sync while indoors in Calgary. It is not able to update everyday like it is suppose to I think, but it is able to do it few times a month even if I have it in a put away in a drawer.

While in Kelowna I have issues getting it to sync, but once in a blue moon it will.

EG6boi
03-21-2012, 01:39 PM
I think any of the Casio G-Shock lines are great. Depending on what you're looking for, just use the G-Shock site as reference. Click on a specific collection and it should tell you information regarding that particular model; everything from battery life to other neat abilities that the model can do.

In terms of retail locations that sell them, many of them have already been named.

Spareparts, Watch it!, The Bay, or many other small, private watch companies within the mall kiosks.

If you absolutely don't mind online, I like deadstock.ca; they are Vancouver-based; http://deadstock.ca/catalog/index.php?page=browsegrid.php&categoryid=1613.

J

Sugarphreak
03-21-2012, 02:41 PM

Pacman
03-22-2012, 05:11 PM
how do you guys find the crystals on the g-shocks? Do they scratch easily?

interlude
03-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by lint
I picked up mine from Watch It in Chinook. They seem to have a decent selection. I was totally confused too and just tried on a bunch and picked the one I liked the best http://www.gshock.com/watches/?id=7079C203-CE80-4578-A6D5-962C684AED08

I bought this when I was in Hawaii last October, I love it! It syncs every night indoors (not by the window) I did however have a hard time syncing when I was in Washington DC a couple weeks ago, and in Miami.

Unknown303
03-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by lint

I hate that store. Last time I was in there the guy just sat on his phone texting the whole time. I've always liked spareparts, the selection they have is great too.

dirtsniffer
03-27-2012, 09:11 AM
spareparts is where i bought mine and i wear it everyday.

K3RMiTdot
03-27-2012, 04:54 PM
my g-shock sucks ass, every few days i have to change the day of the week because somehow it leaps a day. its so annoying that i dont even look at the day of the week anymore.

its only like 2 months old -____-...