PDA

View Full Version : Did I get ripped?

Azn_chibi77
03-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Hey guys so I thought I'd share my experience here to get your veiws/thoughts on my experience buying a muffler.

I drive a 92 180sx w/ SR20det and I needed a new muffler. I did research on where to go and went to Carline on macleod trail because I heard good things about them on beyond.

I go in and tell them my situation. They determined that I need a 3'' inlet and showed me a couple mufflers. Now I'm not really into cars and such, and I basically just trusted their judgement on this matter. (My car was given to me by my brother just incase your wondering why i drive a 180sx)

The muffler they ended up selling me is this exact one in the link.

http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/aeroturbine-resonated-truck-suv-muffler-3030l-p-140.html

The guy ensured me that this was a "performance" muffler and should give me similar results as my previous muffler, however I am puzzled as to why I was sold a muffler that seems to belong on a truck/suv(and it's apparently a diesel muffler). I paid about $300 for this and the installation. Prices online dictate that I could have gotten this job done much cheaper if I just bought the muffler online and got someone to weld it on for me. Performance wise I feel at the lower rpm's my car is a little weaker than before, however when I put my foot down it feels about the same at top end.

Now I can't say I'm overly thrilled about my experience here and the price I paid.

Let me know what you guys think about some of the questions i have listed below:

Did I get ripped off?
Does it matter if it's a muffler for a truck/suv? I mean the damn thing works I guess.
What should I do next time? (Better to buy online? and get someone to weld?)
What other muffler shops you would recommend.

Thanks sorry for the long post.

ercchry
03-22-2012, 12:32 PM
its $250 on that link, after shipping and everything else i would guess $300 JUST for the muffler. a journeyman welder can be billed out at AT LEAST $100/hour... you got a good deal

Tik-Tok
03-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
its $250 on that link, after shipping and everything else i would guess $300 JUST for the muffler. a journeyman welder can be billed out at AT LEAST $100/hour... you got a good deal

:werd:

Hallowed_point
03-22-2012, 12:36 PM
I think they offloaded some generic muffler on you that was collecting dust.

Next time I would do some research on forums for your car/ youtube to find one that has a sound you like.

Next time I'd go to minute muffler on 32nd Ave NE

Azn_chibi77
03-22-2012, 12:37 PM

Prices online range from $150-$250 + shipping

and then cost of install.

So yeah your def right, shouldn't be complaining about the price :)

I'm still kinda confused about the choice of muffler tho.

kvg
03-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Sounds like a fair price:dunno:

ercchry
03-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I think they offloaded some generic muffler on you that was collecting dust.

Next time I would do some research on forums for your car/ youtube to find one that has a sound you like.

Next time I'd go to minute muffler on 32nd Ave NE

yeah next time order a full turbo-back HKS unit :rofl:

the guy went in to get something that worked, carline is a great shop and they probably went>> "hey, this kid just wants something cheap to get back on the road, lets see whats in the back and fits" bam, below retail generic can, weld it up and send him on his way for $300

Graham_A_M
03-22-2012, 01:11 PM

yeah next time order a full turbo-back HKS unit :rofl:

the guy went in to get something that worked, carline is a great shop and they probably went>> "hey, this kid just wants something cheap to get back on the road, lets see whats in the back and fits" bam, below retail generic can, weld it up and send him on his way for $300

Word, $300 is damn good deal. I wouldn't have one bad thing to say about the whole ordeal.

With the 3" tubing/inlet diameter; thats typically diesel truck territory as they need higher flowing exhausts. Hence the choice of muffler.
I think it was a fairly generic diesel performance muffler that can also work fine on your car.

Sugarphreak
03-22-2012, 03:44 PM

ExtraSlow
03-22-2012, 04:00 PM
You got a good deal, and unless you have dyno results to prove it, I'm guessing your perforance is unaffected.
Enjoy your new muffler!

heavyfuel
03-22-2012, 04:54 PM
You got a good deal. Al doesn't rip people off, as far as I'm concerned that's the only muffler shop to go to.

Commanderwiggin
03-22-2012, 05:42 PM
I would say you got a good deal...also note that lots of people are throwing these aeroturbine mufflers on turbocharged cars...my buddies HPF Stage 3 has a 4" one...I took my old Truck to the same carline shop with a muffler from Mopac and he fabbed it up with full manifold back exhaust...100 or something retarded cheap.
+1 for Carline

Weapon_R
03-22-2012, 05:49 PM
You got a good price with a small markup on the muffler. I had a muffler repair for $100 and it's still going strong years later.

ddduke
03-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by kvg
Sounds like a fair price:dunno:

QFT

Did you expect them to sell it to you at their cost? Ofcourse they're going to mark up their products, it's call running a business. You sound like a cheap baby who's having buyers remorse because you could have potentially gotten a better deal if you ordered online.

I've dealt with Carline atleast 10 times and my experience there has always been great, they never try to upsell me on shit and do exactly what's asked of them. Many times they've done work for me on the spot, which is great too.

guessboi
03-22-2012, 08:50 PM
$300 is a great price for the muffler and installation.

You should be happy with the purchase. :thumbsup:

FraserB
03-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Nothing but good things about Carline, going there tomorrow in fact, if they can fit me in.

Azn_chibi77
03-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks guys appreciate the feedback

Azn_chibi77
03-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

QFT

Did you expect them to sell it to you at their cost? Ofcourse they're going to mark up their products, it's call running a business. You sound like a cheap baby who's having buyers remorse because you could have potentially gotten a better deal if you ordered online.

I've dealt with Carline atleast 10 times and my experience there has always been great, they never try to upsell me on shit and do exactly what's asked of them. Many times they've done work for me on the spot, which is great too.

Like I've already stated after looking at some of the user comments I understand that I got a great deal. I said I don't know much about cars and it seemed odd that the muffler I was sold was for a diesel truck/suv. Just getting some clarification, no need to be a moron about it.