PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Mobile Network Outage?

R154
03-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Hello Beyonders,

If anyone is a Virgin subscriber, have you noticed that your phone is only identifying with Bell service?

I tried calling Virgin Customer service, but none of the CSR's could speak to an outage, or even an explanation as to whether now my services used are roaming. They neither denied nor confirmed a network problem in Calgary/Western Canada.

I do not mean to mislead, my service is intact (as I would assume everybody else's is).
All services seem to working. Maybe not BBM, (unsure) however I am receiving updates/phone calls.

My question is more concerned with whether it is my hardware, or if there is an outage and now I am being billed for roaming because I am not using "Virgin" services?

I am using a BB Bold 9800 NOT unlocked NOT modded.

Thanks guys!

PS: I established a lack of Virgin service by the lack of "Virgin" displayed on the top banner.

I searched for mobile networks via the "manual" mode and my phone located Telus services, Rogers HSPA+ as well as Bell 3g H+. However, Virgin was missing. (Home Network).

Xtrema
03-23-2012, 12:50 PM
I don't think it would be a huge issue unless you latch on Telus or Rogers.

Virgin and Bell are the same. Like Rogers' Chatr and Telus' Koodoo.

R154
03-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Cool man, that's reassuring. Just figured i'd confirm, and see if it's just me!

R154
03-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Update:

Virgin Rep called me back and confirmed a micro-outage. The status on their end is resolved. The status on my end, RESOLVED! The outage was between 5:30am and 12:50pm 3/23/12

In rare instances Bell WILL charge virgin "provider" for use of "their" services as per the conversation I just had with the Virgin Rep.

Usually if these periods of "Service Discontinuity" are the responsibility of the provider, (virgin) then they (virgin) will assume the costs and penalties.

In "rare" instances the customer will be billed under "additional usage". If you find that youre being billed "additional usage" when you KNOW you haven't been roaming/data charges; (I can only speak on behalf of virgin) you should call them and ask that they confirm where the "additional charges" were incurred.
Especially so if you know you havent used services outside of your service blanket. The Virgin rep sheepishly confessed that customers regularly pay their bills without really confirming if they indeed did incur these additional charges. I being one of these such idiots.

Sneeeeeeky. I asked the rep to look over my past 12 billing cycles and was shocked to see I had overpaid by $121.14, which was promptly refunded to me as a credit.

Virgin -121.14
R154 -1 for being stupid, +121.14 for having lady luck on my side.

Heads-up!

schocker
03-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Hmm, never had any outages but that is something to watch out for.