PDA

View Full Version : Best month to buy a house

cidley69
03-23-2012, 02:40 PM
We're looking into buying a house sometime within the next 12-15 months, and have quite a bit of flexibility as to timing.

I read on a real estate blog that most markets have a cyclical fluctuation, and average prices typically rise and fall slightly during different parts of the year.

If this is true, where could I find a monthly average house price chart for Calgary?

What months are the best to buy (from a purely cost perspective)?

Intuitively the dead of winter seems likely that there are less buyers at this time, so sellers would be slightly more motivated to accept a lower offer. Is this born out in actual numbers?

supe
03-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Yeah our realtor says that sales pick up in March and are the highest in the summer.

bspot
03-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Tons of people don't bother listing near Christmas or take their house off the market for a bit. If they are still up it's a good sign they are looking to dump it ASAP and you may get a better deal. People not worried about timing will wait until spring.

(my 2 cents)

JordanLotoski
03-23-2012, 03:14 PM
july, august or december.

let me know if you need some help with the hunt

Sugarphreak
03-23-2012, 03:30 PM

cidley69
03-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply Sugarphreak. That's the type of info I was looking for.

http://www.chpc.biz/canada_chart.html

Is there any charts such as this one that track monthly prices?

turbotrip
03-23-2012, 07:06 PM
December/January

InRich
03-23-2012, 10:16 PM
I'd say early Feb

JordanLotoski
03-23-2012, 10:50 PM
People tend to get desperate during the dead of summer July/august, as well as December. If your looking for a deal they can be had anytime of year you just need to keep a close eye on the areas you want to live in.

Where are you looking?

masoncgy
03-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Dead of winter, like December/January. I bought my first house in December and the rental in January... both had been lingering on the market for a long time and both were homes the owners were desparate to sell. Both were had for great prices too... well, the rental seemed like a great price at the time... that was in early 2007 though... lol.

CanmoreOrLess
03-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Yeah as summer is closing and December, parents need to sell their place as they have moved for the start of the school term. Kids dictate a great deal here. December as the yard looks like snow, nothing shows well in December beyond a ski lodge. Buy a house and new car in December as late as possible, save in both situations. A bright realtor can save you tons.

barmanjay
03-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Jordan is right,

We can find deals just about any time of year. Gotta be on the ball. Basically phone ready to dial, in the vehicle while it's running when they come up.

What is your idea of a great deal?
Cheapest house in an upscale neighborhood?
Average price but with the most upgrades, or best layout?
Looking for an area that has the best potential for future value uncrease?
Be honest with yourself to find out what matters the most.

Some people are looking for the cheapest house, but end up buying something that has more upgrades than the rest or more ideal layout.

Just keep this in the back of your mind. You are not the only one looking to buy this kind of house. Guarantee'd there is always 1 or 2 other couples/families looking in the same criteria range.