PDA

View Full Version : advantages of electronic boost controlers over manual

finboy
02-01-2004, 09:13 PM
besides bling factor, what are the advantages over, say, my grainger valve?

2 stage can still be had by using 2 manual boost controlers, so what advantage would i have shelling out atleast $250+ more for an electronic boost controler?

4G63Power
02-01-2004, 09:16 PM
biggest advantage of an electronic boost controller is the ease of increasing or decreasing the boost while simply sitting in the car.

finboy
02-01-2004, 09:18 PM
hmm, but why would you need to increase or decrease, why not just set 2 levels, high and low, and have a switch mounted in the car?

4G63Power
02-01-2004, 09:33 PM
you could get a dual silinoid manual boost controller too which is what a lot of guys do. I used to have a "make your own" write-up from one of the DSM guys, hell if i can find it now :banghead:.

finboy
02-01-2004, 09:58 PM
i've got one as well, just trying to figure if an electronic is worth the coin

Dr. Lightspeed
02-05-2004, 09:38 AM
One of the features I like of the AVC-r is the ability to bosst select per gear. Nice when you actually have enough power that traction is an issue. The E-01 for $750 has some really nice features one being the ability to log your runs. Also has inputs for guages as well makes tuning on the road easier for shure.

legendboy
02-05-2004, 09:50 AM
mbc's are getto, plain and simple. sure they work, but they don't have any other functonality, and there is so much more a boost controller can do.

rage2
02-05-2004, 10:32 AM
EBC's main purpose is to ensure the wastegate is closed until the last possible second. This allows a faster spoolup time, which sucks you into your seat a little harder during spoolup.

Like Dr. Lightspeed mentioned, the more "bling" ones (AVC-R and E-01 with optional harness) can have gear or speed based boost settings to reduce wheelspin.

What I'd like to see is a fully programmable EBC that can control the gain (how hard it hits) based on gear/speed, as that's really the biggest factor for traction control hehe. On my AVC-R, I run lower boost in 1st and 2nd, but if I could adjust the gain as well (which I can't) I can get away with more boost in 1st and 2nd for better launches.

The reason for gear/speed based gain control is the harder it hits, the easier it is to lose traction. Once traction is lost, it's hard to be regained, have to let off, etc. Lowering boost in lower gears is a ghetto way of controlling traction (lost of power).

m10-power
02-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Something else, a manual boost controller will vary the boost dependant on weather conditions. It seems to work in your favour as in the evening you get some more boost, as long as your engine management can handle it then its fine. I just picked up a EBC after running a MBC for years, fine tuning will be much easier along with the benefits noted already. Just for the quicker spool up its worth it, not sure how noticable it will though.
I like having traction issues, its fun to lay rubber exiting offramps :burnout:

finboy
02-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Lightspeed
One of the features I like of the AVC-r is the ability to bosst select per gear. Nice when you actually have enough power that traction is an issue. The E-01 for $750 has some really nice features one being the ability to log your runs. Also has inputs for guages as well makes tuning on the road easier for shure.

this does sound like a very nice feature to have.

traction in first and second doesn't exist in turbododges.

which would be a better over all controler? avc or e-01? both seem to be REALLY pricey.

buh_buh
02-05-2004, 07:14 PM
I would go with the AVCR over the e-01 just for the boost per gear settings. The e-01 only has boost based on speed and you need to buy another optional harness to take advantage of that feature.

finboy
02-05-2004, 11:53 PM
extra harness? i have enough trouble with wiring as is, AVCR it is.

panthr1
02-07-2004, 12:10 PM
after setting up the profec b2 in this talon i am working on, i think i will add one to my daytona.
I like the two boost levels, but more than that.
you can control how the boost comes in and is controlled as it comes in. also overboost waring and pull back as well.

finboy
02-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by panthr1
after setting up the profec b2 in this talon i am working on, i think i will add one to my daytona.
I like the two boost levels, but more than that.
you can control how the boost comes in and is controlled as it comes in. also overboost waring and pull back as well.

good to see you finally made it here, how is panthr 2 coming along?

panthr1
02-07-2004, 04:57 PM
couple months off yet. huge job.
cage is done, fuel cell is more or less mounted. needs a floor
and me to finiish the engine.
and I will be oredering a boost contoller.:)

finboy
02-07-2004, 05:18 PM
cool, have any spare shelby rear springs? jack said you might, and thats all i need to complete this years suspension.

Maxt
02-08-2004, 08:09 AM
I am thinking about going to a manual boost controller this year, but the turbonetics in car one, instead of the grainger setup, Currently I have the profec a , with the fuzzy logic programming, not the greatest ebc on the market, although its one of the pricier ones, when I datalog the boost, its wavy through the rev range, jumping up and down by at least 2 psi through the rpm band, and after awhile, it loses its crispness and I have to re-learn the boost curve..There was a mag test sometime back on all the boost contollers, and the manual boost controller seem to have the best control of the wastegate, it was more snap acting than the electronics by a wee bit..
The nice thing again, is the 2 step control, or with the profec, really 3 step control, since turning it off reverts it back to the straight control of the wastegate spring, bombing around on the streets I run with the profec off at about 8-9psi, then for the occassional stop light grand prix I run it at 12 psi on low boost, and on the highway I use the high/overtake boost feature at 18-19 psi....Maxt

Hollywood
02-15-2004, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
mbc's are getto, plain and simple. sure they work, but they don't have any other functonality, and there is so much more a boost controller can do.

manual=crap.
fuzzy logic=questionable, mostly good.
profecB=Good for most cars, simple and effective.

finboy
02-15-2004, 01:17 AM
any more info an the avc-r?

heavyD
02-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

manual=crap.
fuzzy logic=questionable, mostly good.
profecB=Good for most cars, simple and effective.

profecB is the best all around boost controller available period for the money. The latest updated model actually displays boost which is handy if you don't have a boost gauge.

Toma
02-15-2004, 06:13 PM
Hey, Adam....

I can tune your stock computer to boost by mph (ie, the faster you go, the more boost), upto 15 psi, after that, we can switch it to a MBC (nothing at all wrong with them for what they are designed to do IMHO) in higher gear....

for instance, we can build a boost curve that satrts at 8 psi at 0 mph, ramps to 15 psi at 40 to 50 mph, then we switch it to the grainger valve to 20 psi once you hammer third or fourth gear....

simple and cheap.

finboy
02-16-2004, 03:36 AM
...you can do SMEC work now? that would help SOOOO much.