PDA

View Full Version : Anyone uses Shaw home phone? (problems)

TomcoPDR
03-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Anyone uses the Shaw home phone service with like the router box thru cable line?

Do you get "black out" through out the day sometimes? Such as line is busy when you're trying to dial out? Or when someone calls, your phone rings, but when you pick up it doesn't connect? (I tried calling from cell phone into home phone, home phone rings, pick up the home phone and it goes silent, the cell phone keeps ringing and ringing)

Just wondering, thanks.

I switched to Shaw because of that $100 Visa cash promo, but if this keeps up, switching back to Telus when the stupid 6 months probation expires.

max_boost
03-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Yep. There are a tonne of bugs with Shaw Digital phone. Don't even get me started. LOL

jacky4566
03-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Don't have a home phone. I think the land line industry is failing and they are grabbing as many people as they can. Cell phones are the way to go since anyone can contact you and the pricing these days are getting more competitive. My parents have also converted to a cell only household.

Isaiah
03-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Have had Shaw home phone for a couple of years over at my mom's place and it's been buggy the whole time. It is so time to switch it up. Would not recommend to my worst enemy.

schocker
03-23-2012, 09:06 PM
I have had it for a few years same with my parents and have never had any issues :dunno:

ExtraSlow
03-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Never noticed any issues, but then again, we never use the home phone.

nismodrifter
03-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Had it for many years now, no issues except for the occasional (maybe once a year?) outage which will effect TONS of people for a couple hrs.

sputnik
03-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I've had it since they launched the service.

Never a problem.

J-hop
03-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Anyone uses the Shaw home phone service with like the router box thru cable line?

Do you get "black out" through out the day sometimes? Such as line is busy when you're trying to dial out? Or when someone calls, your phone rings, but when you pick up it doesn't connect? (I tried calling from cell phone into home phone, home phone rings, pick up the home phone and it goes silent, the cell phone keeps ringing and ringing)

Just wondering, thanks.

I switched to Shaw because of that $100 Visa cash promo, but if this keeps up, switching back to Telus when the stupid 6 months probation expires.

we haven't had an issue since we got it last august. Do you by chance live in a new townhouse style neighborhood? they don't seem to set up services very well in those areas ie: cell towers not being able to handle the volume in high density neighborhoods. I have a friend living in one of those new SE neighborhoods and during peak times his cell will always drop calls or not dial out. Could be a similar issue for home phone.

anarchy
03-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Hey Tom,
We did have a brief outage the last couple days in some of our Calgary and Edmonton areas but it should be working fine now.

If you're still have problems, definitely fire me a PM and we'll have someone take a look at it.

01RedDX
03-24-2012, 12:02 PM

clem24
03-24-2012, 12:56 PM
I've had Shaw phone since we moved in in 2007 and not a single problem to speak of.

TomcoPDR
03-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

we haven't had an issue since we got it last august. Do you by chance live in a new townhouse style neighborhood? they don't seem to set up services very well in those areas ie: cell towers not being able to handle the volume in high density neighborhoods. I have a friend living in one of those new SE neighborhoods and during peak times his cell will always drop calls or not dial out. Could be a similar issue for home phone.

Originally posted by anarchy
Hey Tom,
We did have a brief outage the last couple days in some of our Calgary and Edmonton areas but it should be working fine now.

If you're still have problems, definitely fire me a PM and we'll have someone take a look at it.

Thanks for response guys. Older SE neigbhourhood, just random outage it's ok "at the moment"

eblend
03-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Parents had it for a year or so, gave up on it, just wasn't worth the trouble. Would have an outage every once in a while, any my parents being the type of people that use the home phone, it was important.

I set them up with voip.ms and never looked back. Put $25 bucks on the account in January, still $9 bucks left on there now. All it costs is like $2 for your number per month (can port over from anywhere) and + cost of calling, which is stupidly cheap. $0.0052/minute for all canada calls, and much better rates internationally as well. I have it setup at home as well for long distance to japan, my wife said it is better quality of all the phone services we had, go figure.

Here is a call detail record for my parents since Jan 1st until today,

Calls: 293 | Duration: 13:42:36 | Total: $14.28975

The price really can't be beat. Keep in mind that there is alot of international calls to Kyrzysztan in there.

Haven't had any problems with their service at all, ofcourse it requiers an internet connection as it is VOIP, but at least we are not paying $25/month for a phone line + long distance, when in 3 month it cost us $15 total with long distance.

Also voip.ms to voip.ms customers can call for free (don't know if locally or internationally as well), but I call my parents from my house phone and it costs them or me absolutely nothing

Mitsu3000gt
03-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Haven't used a land line in years since they have so many cell phone plans with free incoming calls for cheap.

Masked Bandit
03-30-2012, 10:33 AM
We've had Shaw as the home phone for many years without a single problem ever. I've got it here at the office now as well and again, no problems.