PDA

View Full Version : Official 2012 Alberta Election Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

hampstor
03-26-2012, 07:36 AM
With the Alberta Election called, we will be going to the polls on April 23rd, 2012.

Please try and keep discussions about the Alberta 2012 Election to this thread :D
Party Policies:

Progressive Conservative Policies: http://www.votepc.ca/admin/contentx/default.cfm?h=10106&PageId=10106
Liberal Party Policies: http://www.albertaliberal.com/files/Yes%20-%202012%20Election%20Platform.pdf
Wildrose Policies: http://www.wildrose.ca/media/2011/10/Wildrose-Policy-Book.pdf
New Democratic Party: http://albertandp.ca/wherewestand
Alberta Party: https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/albertaparty/pages/287/attachments/original/1332790825/Alberta_Party-Platform-Election_2012.pdf?1332790825

Global TV Leaders Debate: April 12 from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. (From Link: http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/6442603584/story.html)

Masked Bandit
03-26-2012, 07:57 AM
I think this is the first time in a long time the PC party has had some legit competition. I'm going to have to wait and see how things go to make up my mind. It's easy for the WR to attack, attack & attack while they are nobody, now lets see if they have any substance. I'm not opposed to change but it has to be for a valid reason.

lasimmon
03-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Gogo wild rose !

hampstor
03-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
... I'm going to have to wait and see how things go to make up my mind...

Good point... added this to the poll: "Undecided and will wait and see what the campaigns bring"

Feruk
03-26-2012, 08:12 AM
I don't much like any of them. They're either fiscally not conservative (everything except the Wild Rose), or made up of a bunch of bible thumper idiots (Wild Rose). Back in the day, at least the PCs were still fiscally conservative, but this no longer applies as they once again cannot balance a budget in the richest province in Canada. That is totally inexcusable IMO, especially in good times. Why can't there be a fiscally conservative, but socially liberal party out there??

Economy's more important IMO, so gonna likely vote Wild Rose.

nonofyobiz
03-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
... cannot balance a budget in the richest province in Canada. That is totally inexcusable IMO, especially in good times. Why can't there be a fiscally conservative, but socially liberal party out there??

Economy's more important IMO, so gonna likely vote Wild Rose.

+1

it's just absurd. All I hear about is more spending and deficit, then they grab a higher % of our property taxes. Funny how all of a sudden the city council was able to find areas to make cuts so they didn't have to raise taxes even more. They are all so full of sh1t.

Definitely voting Wild Rose. Time to give someone else an opportunity.

hampstor
03-26-2012, 12:31 PM
writ has been dropped - we are going to the polls April 23rd.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/alberta/Premier+Alison+Redford+calls+2012+Alberta+election+April/6360189/story.html

schocker
03-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by nonofyobiz

+1

it's just absurd. All I hear about is more spending and deficit, then they grab a higher % of our property taxes. Funny how all of a sudden the city council was able to find areas to make cuts so they didn't have to raise taxes even more. They are all so full of sh1t.

Definitely voting Wild Rose. Time to give someone else an opportunity.
:werd:
Seems asinine. I will check out the platforms though, have been reading through the wild rose information a bit and they seem to be my choice thus far.

Masked Bandit
03-26-2012, 12:53 PM
If anyone comes across a good source for comparing platforms & policies, please post it up.

FraserB
03-26-2012, 12:57 PM
95% Wildrose unless there is some major policy I find that I disagree with. If there is I might just not vote, it seems that every year we have to vote for one pack of fools or the other. Getting pretty tired of it to be honest.

spikerS
03-26-2012, 12:59 PM
I want to vote conservative, and it looks like I have to now.

I have a personal rule, that I will vote for the first person that actually engages me in person, or by actually talking to me on the phone not as a recording, and my MLA came and knocked on my door a few nights ago and talked with me.

Maybelater
03-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Why can't there be a fiscally conservative, but socially liberal party out there??

:confused:

Sure there is options you can find. The only real problem is that you're in Alberta and it is either going to be PCs or WRA with the majority in the end.

Wild Rose is a tough choice for most because the social stance of the party is par with the rhetoric you can expect from insane Evangelical Christians in the America South.

This election is important to left voters too. We are going to see a huge split on the right due to the WRA and PC's fighting each other. I predict we will see more left-of-center MLA's then ever before who managed to sneak into power simply because of a split vote on the right.

Gainsbarre
03-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Saw my first election sign this morning when heading to the bus stop around 7:30 am for a Wildrose candidate that ran for Alderman in Ward 9 in 2010.

Checked out his website, and ya...looks like a real bible thumper (volunteer activities sound deliberiately vague becuase they're probably all church based) and it sounds like the only paying job he has is at a religious institution that his dad founded....:rofl: , so ya, Wildrose is out for sure...not anti-religion, but I like to keep politics and religion far, FAR apart....

I recall my dad saying that the incumbent MLA actually responded to his email & phone calls (an elected representative resounding to constituents...a pleasant surprise given that I live in ward 7)' so I might look into that...still very undecided....

Toma
03-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Wildrose are just conservatives.

Who gives a fuck.

dirtsniffer
03-26-2012, 01:57 PM
kinda want to vote liberal. probably won't make it to vote though. i would like ot see more than a 1 party system though..

maybe the alberta party would be a better choice?

SmAcKpOo
03-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Why does the Wild Rose party want to abolish the Alberta Human Rights Commission?

Wild Rose seem to want to bring Religious undertones into their policy and I have problems with not separating the Church and State.

Toma
03-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
Why does the Wild Rose party want to abolish the Alberta Human Rights Commission?

Wild Rose seem to want to bring Religious undertones into their policy and I have problems with not separating the Church and State.

Like I said, these whack jobs are nothing but extremist conservatives (PC's)

People need to know that so they don't make a big mistake (as our polls would seem to show).

Maybelater
03-26-2012, 02:17 PM

The CHRC is a pretty controversial organization.

From what I have read they have judicial powers, but don't have the over-sight that normal justice/policing organization have. They have been implicated for tampering with cases. Many on the right believe the staff of the CHRC have a hidden agenda and that they have out-lived there use from the days of civil-rights movements.

I've heard odd stories of CHRC cases. One that stood out was a women who was dismissed by McDonald's after months of not working and on WCB leave due to an issue with her skin becoming irritated from the need to constantly wash them to handle food. She won the case.

Basically, McDonald's gave her months to correct the problem and were faced with two choices: Bring her back to work and have her not wash he hands creating a public health risk (then likely get sued) or fire her and get sued.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Human_Rights_Commission_free_speech_controversies

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
kinda want to vote liberal. probably won't make it to vote though. i would like ot see more than a 1 party system though..

maybe the alberta party would be a better choice?

I can't stress how important it is for the Alberta left to vote in this election. You can use advance polls.

schocker
03-26-2012, 02:28 PM

Because you didn't read their platform :dunno:

HUMAN RIGHTS

Human Rights need protection: equality, freedom of religion, freedom of speech are important to Albertans
Over the last 20 years, the Human Rights Commissions in Alberta have probably been the single worst offender of Rights: i.e. freedom of speech; politically correct activists have used them to punish religious and right-wing social commentators. Even when found not guilty, its expensive and time-consuming
The commissions have proven that they can’t be trusted to do the job. We need to resolve these issues in real courts, with real judges and rules of evidence
We’ll replace the Human Rights Commission with a new Human Rights Division of the Provincial Court of Alberta, which will adjudicate all human rights complaints
We’ll ensure that translators and financial aid are available so that all Albertans have access to the process, but standards will be stricter

masoncgy
03-26-2012, 02:43 PM
I would vote for the Wild Rose party without question, but given the fact I won't be living in Alberta at the time, I have to sit this one out.

I was looking forward to voting. :(

Sugarphreak
03-26-2012, 02:47 PM

desi112
03-26-2012, 02:54 PM
I dunno about the Wildrose, they seem to have a "religious" ring to them. Not only that, in a progrossive world to move "backwards" is a tough thing to do.

CapnCrunch
03-26-2012, 02:56 PM
I wish the Liberal party wasn't suck a clusterfuck right now.

So our choices are vote conservative or vote slightly more conservative.

I'll vote for whoever promises;

1. We won't fuck up the economy.
2. We won't waste you tax dollars on stupid shit.
3. We'll leave you the fuck alone.

Looks like I'm not voting this round.

Smartiepants
03-26-2012, 02:59 PM
I notably try and keep my nose out of political debates, however this time I'm feeling notably more voter apathy than ever, mainly because I think that all of my options are filled by bumbling idiots.

speedog
03-26-2012, 03:08 PM
So 52% so far for Wild Rose, interesting but how many of the 48 who have voted in this poll so far will actually even bother to make the effort to actually go vote - 2 so far have said they won't vote.

Apathy will rule again as always and I predict that most of the people I'll see at my polling station will have much whiter hair than the gray stuff I'm sporting and as such, polls like the one in this forum may be of little value as I'd dare say that most of the 48 who've already in this poll won't show come election night. Instead, it'll be the gray/white hairs like myself out there voting and I'm not convinced that major change is all that necessary. To date, the most engaging candidate in my riding (Calgary Klein) would be the incumbent PC (Kyle Fawcett), but I have to say that the Liberal candidate most definitely made the most inroads at our community association's last event - the Wild Rose guy couldn't seem to be even bothered to engage any regular schmoe in any sort of conversation.

Anyhow, let's hear some responses to Sugarphreak - tell us what is so wrong in Alberta and why a change might fix it. And for the record, I am currently undecided other than I will most definitely not be voting NDP.

Type_S1
03-26-2012, 03:11 PM
As long as no-one messes with the oil and gas royalty structure in AB I don't care who wins :nut: We don't need another Marty like old Ed come in and attempt to ruin the economy

lasimmon
03-26-2012, 03:31 PM
I really dislike doctor intimidation, and having witnessed it first hand I won't be voting PC.

Feruk
03-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Anyhow, let's hear some responses to Sugarphreak - tell us what is so wrong in Alberta and why a change might fix it. And for the record, I am currently undecided other than I will most definitely not be voting NDP.
1) We run a budget deficit in the richest province in Alberta in good economic times
2) Heritage fund will be gone in a few years with status quo
3) Health care system is still a mess
4) PCs wanna move to 0.05 alcohol limit. I see a problem with getting a DUI for having two beers at lunch.

There are countless little scandals here and there as well, but at the end of the day, all I really care about is having a government that can properly balance a budget. Since King Ralph left, the idiots that have followed have only hindered the economy. I'm gonna vote (and voted WR in the poll), I just don't know if I can bring myself to vote for religous zealots.

nonofyobiz
03-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Glad to see people's lives are so absolutely terriable here that they can't wait to vote arguably the best managed government Canada had ever seen out on their ass....

lol what? How can you say that about the current PC's???
These sh1t heads have it WAY too easy. Think about it, more money than they know what to do with, and a party that has had majority in government for a LONG ass time.
They've become a little too entitled in my mind and it's time to shake it up.

What is making everyone think the WR are hardcore christian extremists like in the southern states. We as Canadians are NOTHING like those ppl lol
It's like you think there is something wrong with a politician having faith in some religion. Should all politicians be atheists? Albertan's are not like republicans in the states, not even close.

desi112
03-26-2012, 03:37 PM

1) We run a budget deficit in the richest province in Alberta in good economic times
2) Heritage fund will be gone in a few years with status quo
3) Health care system is still a mess
4) PCs wanna move to 0.05 alcohol limit. I see a problem with getting a DUI for having two beers at lunch.

There are countless little scandals here and there as well, but at the end of the day, all I really care about is having a government that can properly balance a budget. Since King Ralph left, the idiots that have followed have only hindered the economy. I'm gonna vote (and voted WR in the poll), I just don't know if I can bring myself to vote for religous zealots.

It should be moved to ZERO

hampstor
03-26-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm thinking about creating a list of questions to send to all the local Calgary candidates... will provide more info when I've had time to adequately plan how I'm actually going to do this.

However at a high level, I'll be looking to creating a list of questions from beyond members and firing them off to all the local candidates. Once we have answers, i'd post them here.

cancer man
03-26-2012, 03:39 PM
I can't say for certain but the current bitch has to go.
(she remainds me of the hudson bay wench)

nonofyobiz
03-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by desi112

:facepalm:

e31
03-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Every time I vote I purposely invalidate my voting slip. Essentially, doing this places at least one vote (that is counted) in the invalid category. When the results are announced I check the invalid ballot count for my riding to make sure things were done correctly.

No tin foil hat here, just doing my part to keep elections accountable. Anything to make sure we don't end up with something like the U.S. voting system with criminals/dead people/animals registered to vote (and used to elect people like George Bush).

speedog
03-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by e31
Every time I vote I purposely invalidate my voting slip. Essentially, doing this places at least one vote (that is counted) in the invalid category. When the results are announced I check the invalid ballot count for my riding to make sure things were done correctly.

No tin foil hat here, just doing my part to keep elections accountable. Anything to make sure we don't end up with something like the U.S. voting system with criminals/dead people/animals registered to vote (and used to elect people like George Bush). So if a couple of other voters invalidate their voting slips, then your method for accountability means nothing.

Feruk
03-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by desi112
I assume you're speaking to the legal drinking limit. Why would you POSSIBLY wanna move it to zero? That's insane. If that were to ever pass, you could get a DUI for using mouthwash. You could get a DUI for having a sip of wine. Worst idea ever. :facepalm:

Sugarphreak
03-26-2012, 05:06 PM

masoncgy
03-26-2012, 05:16 PM
God, this is going to be "purple power" Nenshi all over again with the Wild Rose :facepalm:

lol wut

Purple power was a youth/lib-left populist movement. You think that is going to emerge for some 'scary' right-wing party... not bloody likely... lol.

In fact, the WR is and will continue to be demonized as some kind of social conservative kook fest... which it isn't.

Change is good. Alberta's PC party has floated more to the middle and it's Spendy McSpenderson habits have pissed off and alienated enough of the population. Give Danielle Smith a chance.

Sugarphreak
03-26-2012, 05:21 PM

masoncgy
03-26-2012, 05:24 PM
^ They definitely are not new to the scene. They have gained in popularity due to the perceived arrogance & incompetence of the ruling PC party. Thank Special Ed for their rise.

It's time for change in Alberta. Imagine if BC were ruled by the NDP for 40 years... *shudder*

Sugarphreak
03-26-2012, 05:28 PM

dirtsniffer
03-26-2012, 06:09 PM
you know Nenshi has no more say than any alderman right?

guessboi
03-26-2012, 06:37 PM
another election. WTF :nut:

asp integra
03-26-2012, 06:59 PM
ive been a PC all my life and this is the first time i will not be voting for them, Wild Rose all the way!

schocker
03-26-2012, 09:13 PM
you know Nenshi has no more say than any alderman right?
he must have a hardon for mciver or something.

WithTheLightsOn
03-26-2012, 10:20 PM
If anyone is interested, on CBC news they have a survey to discover how you fit in the Alberta political landscape. It's pretty neat especially if you're undecided or uninformed about the parties' positions like I am.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/albertavotes2012/features/votecompass.html

http://i.imgur.com/8pU6T.jpg

As you can tell, I clearly fit in the undecided category!:rofl:

Maybelater
03-27-2012, 01:19 AM
^LOL A bunch of people are going to use that compass and realize that they are more left-leaning then they think they are, then engage in cognitive dissonance and says it rigged? Like the Federal election.

http://i40.tinypic.com/k1qjpu.png

Isaiah
03-27-2012, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
...it seems that every year we have to vote for one pack of fools or the other. Getting pretty tired of it to be honest.
Pretty draining isn't it? Taking an hour out of your day every 18 months or so to exercise your democratic duty.

CapnCrunch
03-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon
I really dislike doctor intimidation, and having witnessed it first hand I won't be voting PC.

Doctors have huge lobbying groups that use intimidation all the time. :poosie:

BerserkerCatSplat
03-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Pretty draining isn't it? Taking an hour out of your day every 18 months or so to exercise your democratic duty.

I think you misinterpreted his statement. He's saying he's tired of having seemingly poor choices in elections, not that he's tired of voting.

speedog
03-27-2012, 10:31 AM
8% not voting - so who is already lying in this poll because the last Alberta election in 2008 saw around 60% of the eligible voters not casting a vote (link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_general_election,_2008)). Yupp, I have a hard time believing that 92% of the people who've already participated in this poll (and said they'll be voting one way or another) are actually going to get their asses out to a polling station come April 23.

schocker
03-27-2012, 10:34 AM
8% not voting - so who is already lying in this poll because the last Alberta election in 2008 saw around 60% of the eligible voters not casting a vote (link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_general_election,_2008)). Yupp, I have a hard time believing that 92% of the people who've already participated in this poll (and said they'll be voting one way or another) are actually going to get their asses out to a polling station come April 23.
You are aware beyond is a different group of people than the survey sample groups :facepalm:

speedog
03-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by schocker

You are aware beyond is a different group of people than the survey sample groups :facepalm: :facepalm: yourself - I'd dare say that the apathy is just as great if not worse for this different group. Visit any polling station on the 23rd and you'll see way more of the geriatric crowd there than the 18-30 crowd.

schocker
03-27-2012, 10:45 AM
:facepalm: yourself - I'd dare say that the apathy is just as great if not worse for this different group. Visit any polling station on the 23rd and you'll see way more of the geriatric crowd there than the 18-30 crowd.
If they didn't care they wouldn't take the time to go to this thead and vote if they have no interest in alberta politics :dunno:

Type_S1
03-27-2012, 10:49 AM
I want Ralph back....he was prob the best ever

speedog
03-27-2012, 10:56 AM

If they didn't care they wouldn't take the time to go to this thead and vote if they have no interest in alberta politics :dunno: Now this is laughable - you actually believe that being caring enough to vote in an on-line poll means that they'll actually haul their asses away from the keyboard to actually get to a polling station on April 23. Give your head a shake - 40.59% turnout in 2008, 44.7% in 2004, 52.8% 2001, 52.8% 1997 and 60.2% in 1993 - if anything, this "different group" is even less caring as made evident by the aforementioned decreasing past turnouts and this "different group" would be the demographic that should be growing in numbers as the geriatrics die off. I suppose I can always be proven wrong, but I suspect we won't see a 50% turnout this time around which is a far cry from the 8% this poll is showing.

speedog
03-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
I want Ralph back....he was prob the best ever Ralph was right for his time and he also rode a bit of a positive economic crest, he did however leave some negative legacies that we're still paying for in the form of delayed major infrastructure builds that are now costing us taxpayers much more dearly than if they had been built in a more timely fashion back then.

schocker
03-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Now this is laughable - you actually believe that being caring enough to vote in an on-line poll means that they'll actually haul their asses away from the keyboard to actually get to a polling station on April 23. Give your head a shake - 40.59% turnout in 2008, 44.7% in 2004, 52.8% 2001, 52.8% 1997 and 60.2% in 1993 - if anything, this "different group" is even less caring as made evident by the aforementioned decreasing past turnouts and this "different group" would be the demographic that should be growing in numbers as the geriatrics die off. I suppose I can always be proven wrong, but I suspect we won't see a 50% turnout this time around which is a far cry from the 8% this poll is showing.
This is a sample group of 87 beyond members, I don't think it really relates to your idea that <43 of these people will vote. No doubt the overall number will be down, but the people who do not care about politics at all never travel as far down as the Politics subforum is what I am trying to say unless they really like polls.

speedog
03-27-2012, 11:21 AM

This is a sample group of 87 beyond members, I don't think it really relates to your idea that &lt;43 of these people will vote. No doubt the overall number will be down, but the people who do not care about politics at all never travel as far down as the Politics subforum is what I am trying to say unless they really like polls. So then the people need to be honest in this poll which states "What party will you be voting for in the 2012 Alberta Election?" and actually mark down that you won't be voting. No where does it state in this poll that it was about caring about which party - it's a poll about who you will be voting for. If you're not going to vote, then vote in this poll accordingly - hell, I know people who never go to vote and they don't apologize for it. Really, just be honest when you participate in a poll such as this if you know there's a likely chance you won't be voting IRL - don't skew the results in here just because it's easier to use the mouse as opposed to getting out to a physical polling station.

Feruk
03-27-2012, 12:08 PM
I'd bet more than 70% of the guys in this thread will get out to vote. As for the general population, prolly ~40% as usual.

FraserB
03-27-2012, 12:18 PM
I'd say only the people who have said they won't vote will stay home. If you care enough to comment a few times, I think it shows that there is a high chance you will vote.

The question regarding abolishing the HRC on that political compass poll is pretty misleading though and will skew the results. To be fair, they should have made it clear that the HRC framework will be rolled into the existing judicial system and be held accountable to higher standards.

Maxt
03-27-2012, 02:58 PM

All I am saying is most of us have it pretty good here, things are not nearly as out of control as people try to make it out to be.
If you live simple and ignore all the user, licencing and administrative fees this province has...We may have the lowest taxes, if you only consider the fees only directly called a tax..

hampstor
03-27-2012, 08:04 PM
A lot of campaigns are following this website for polls (they aggregate polls):
www.threehundredeight.com/

Their current poll, by riding is an aggregate of a ThinkHQ and an Ipsos-Reid poll that was done a few days before the writ was dropped, as well as past polls :

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mhM126zXQ1o/T3G2X8I_aFI/AAAAAAAAHj0/P2mw9W2Ja_4/s1600/Ridings.PNG

speedog
03-28-2012, 07:39 AM
So per hampstor's supplied link above, lots of work cut out for the Wild Rose supporters...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2baShESBS7Q/T3G2l5QH14I/AAAAAAAAHkA/I7u_9mXPjKE/s640/Projection.PNG

codetrap
03-28-2012, 07:58 AM

It's very interesting that you'd consider the specific demographic of beyond as representative of the population of the province. I'm certain the the entire province is made up of 22-35 yr old males that have a bent towards being computer/technology literate with a distinct automotive slant that loves to argue on the internet.

dirtsniffer
03-28-2012, 08:24 AM
anyone know what the idea is behind the alberta party and why they don't have any support?

CapnCrunch
03-28-2012, 08:30 AM

That's not totally fair. Last election there was no one even close to being able to knock off the PC's, so nobody came out. (I know I didn't)

Things look a little different this time around. I bet a much larger percentage comes out to vote.

HiTempguy1
03-28-2012, 10:13 AM
anyone know what the idea is behind the alberta party and why they don't have any support?

http://www.albertaparty.ca/2012_election_platform

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/17304739.jpg

speedog
03-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
It's very interesting that you'd consider the specific demographic of beyond as representative of the population of the province. I'm certain the the entire province is made up of 22-35 yr old males that have a bent towards being computer/technology literate with a distinct automotive slant that loves to argue on the internet. I don't consider beyond as being representative of the province - I'm just calling BS on the 8% who say they're not voting in this poll.

speedog
03-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

That's not totally fair. Last election there was no one even close to being able to knock off the PC's, so nobody came out. (I know I didn't)

Things look a little different this time around. I bet a much larger percentage comes out to vote. So 55% aren't going to bother showing up to vote or maybe even 50%. I'd still dare to say that the majority of Albertans eligible to vote on April 23rd won't - 'tis the norm in Alberta.

Xtrema
03-28-2012, 10:30 AM
So per hampstor's supplied link above, lots of work cut out for the Wild Rose supporters...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2baShESBS7Q/T3G2l5QH14I/AAAAAAAAHkA/I7u_9mXPjKE/s640/Projection.PNG

Wait a minute, BP is a party in Alberta? :rofl:

http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/bp_logo_color.jpg

lasimmon
03-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Read an article today that indicted wild rose would have a majority based on a latest poll.. Would post link but on my phone. It was in the sun.

whiskas
03-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Beyonders tend to be more conservative than average.

Everyone here was circle jerking each other over McIver while shitting on Nenshi, and then there was much QQ'ing when Nenshi kicked ass.

Sugarphreak still probably cries himself to sleep everynight knowing Nenshi is our Mayor.

hampstor
03-28-2012, 10:59 AM
New update to the aggregate poll. I think it includes the Leger poll from yesterday

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fQGZ1Tb8VM0/T3MhXc1MhpI/AAAAAAAAHlw/B-_un0MIA2s/s1600/Ridings.PNG

Plus it includes an updated projection (sorry for not including it in previous post - thanks speedog for linking it for me):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oiP4lNim3gI/T3MhqZu8ndI/AAAAAAAAHl8/VuvzksjOnLs/s640/Projection.PNG

kenny
03-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Wildrose Supporters: Alberta needs change, 40 years of PC rule in Alberta, vote WR so we can change Alberta to be better.

Wildrose Leader: Premier Alison Redford must not like Alberta because she says she wants to change it.

ercchry
03-28-2012, 12:07 PM
I don't consider beyond as being representative of the province - I'm just calling BS on the 8% who say they're not voting in this poll.

how do you have a vote for those that dont vote... :eek: the logic i would use for the 8% that wont bother to vote in this poll is that the remaining didnt even bother to vote in this poll...

to find the true number use the number that has replied to this poll over the number of active users on beyond... im sure that will be well over 8%

Maybelater
03-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

Sugarphreak still probably cries himself to sleep everynight knowing Nenshi is our Mayor.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Is an official debate going to take place in Calgary?

Sugarphreak
03-28-2012, 12:52 PM

HiTempguy1
03-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Ima just throw my opinion in here:

The PC's are currently MEH. We've seen some abuses of power/not respecting the citizens of this province that it's kind of starting to get old. Certain things (like deregulating our provinces various industries that used to be government ran) have NOT worked for the better.

There is a boom coming, Fort Mac is ramping up again. The debt crisis is not over, but oil isn't getting cheaper anytime soon unless the US completely collapses. Unlikely.

I don't feel the PC's capitalized on the last boom as well as they should have, and IMO, it's really, REALLY hard to cock something up royally when there is a boom.

So, give the WildRose a chance. Those that bellyache about their "religious agenda", get a grip on yourself, this is Canada FFS, it will never be as bad as in the US. Beyond that, I honestly do not run into many religious fanatics like everyone else here seems to. I think it will be a non-issue with the party.

The WR can't screw up a boom, and hopefully, they can make better use of it than the PC's did. In reality, we might actually see a minority government for the first time in what, decades? And maybe that is what this province needs. I prefer majorities, as there isn't as much deadlock, but whatever.

I think the PC's need a time out, and then be voted back in in another 4 years if the WR doesn't do a good job.

My 2 cents.

Oh, and PC's? Using orange as your colors (along with green) is stupid. You look like the NDP, which is what I first thought when I saw the orange and green signs along H63 yesterday :facepalm:

Maybelater
03-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Oh, and PC's? Using orange as your colors (along with green) is stupid. You look like the NDP, which is what I first thought when I saw the orange and green signs along H63 yesterday :facepalm:

My thought exactly.

btimbit
03-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Anyone know what party is willing to shell out the money to get Stoney Trail finished?

Flopping between PC and WR right not, and that's one of the biggest issues to me.

Xtrema
03-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Wildrose Supporters: Alberta needs change, 40 years of PC rule in Alberta, vote WR so we can change Alberta to be better.

Wildrose Leader: Premier Alison Redford must not like Alberta because she says she wants to change it.

I don't trust Wildrose for some reason. Too bad Redford can't really get all the old boys out of PC.

smokedog
03-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I don't trust Wildrose for some reason. Too bad Redford can't really get all the old boys out of PC.

Yea, me too. I really have a bad feeling about Danielle Smith. She already lost my vote after her comment about Redford not liking Alberta. Stuff like that is just childish and a waste of time.

I'm still undecided between Alison and Raj(he did recommend the public inquiry). My vote will be the person who lives for politics instead lives from politics.

Feruk
03-29-2012, 08:21 AM
I had the same feelings at first, but then I realized this was just a case of the "devil you know" principal. The Wild Rose really aren't anything but PCs who might balance a budget anyway. As for Redford vs Smith, neither really impresses me, but both seem way healthier for Alberta than the liberal leader.

Originally posted by btimbit
Anyone know what party is willing to shell out the money to get Stoney Trail finished?
Isn't that an issue of the indians saying no? It doesn't sound like either party wants to do much slashing to the infrastructure budget from what I've read.

ipeefreely
03-29-2012, 08:26 AM

:facepalm:

Saw that on the news last night... we're only two days in and it’s already come to this..... :banghead:

Who's the idiot that thought that would be a good thing to run with! :nut:

I don't think they have any substance... they're just good at attacking the PCs. They haven't spent much time working on any sort of policies from what I can see... might be a shit show if they win! :eek:

hampstor
03-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by ipeefreely

I don't think they have any substance... they're just good at attacking the PCs. They haven't spent much time working on any sort of policies from what I can see... might be a shit show if they win! :eek:

All parties have policies on education, healthcare, oil sands development, etc. that they campaign about and issue press release for. I've spent enough time reading most of the parties policies/platforms to know they've spent a lot of time working on policies.

Of course, they also attack the shit out of each other on anything they can. The media will pick/choose what they want to focus on (99% of the time it's the attacks on each other and not their policies).

Edit:

Progressive Conservative Policies: http://www.votepc.ca/admin/contentx/default.cfm?h=10106&PageId=10106
Liberal Party Policies: http://www.albertaliberal.com/files/Yes%20-%202012%20Election%20Platform.pdf
Wildrose Policies: http://www.wildrose.ca/media/2011/10/Wildrose-Policy-Book.pdf
New Democratic Party: http://albertandp.ca/wherewestand
Alberta Party: https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/albertaparty/pages/287/attachments/original/1332790825/Alberta_Party-Platform-Election_2012.pdf?1332790825

ipeefreely
03-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the links hampstor!

I was more thinking about when they had their party convention (last year?) and they couldn't agree on lots of the policies that were put forth (I think half the people walked out).

From what I've seen in the media it seems to me that they're trying really hard to get elected, then they'll figure out the rest later... We can do it better!... How? ... We'll get back to you on that! :rofl:

Any way that just my observation, I'll have to read what they have to say! :thumbsup:

hampstor
03-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Live leaders debate, not sure if we can get it in Calgary / if it will be available on Global Calgary... :

Global TV Edmonton Leaders Debate: April 12 from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. (From Link: http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/6442603584/story.html)

hampstor
03-29-2012, 04:04 PM
updated today

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jNAcCa7CN2Q/T3S_ZVh6uEI/AAAAAAAAHoQ/gwZ5bDpuyss/s640/Projection.PNG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LMm73heqyi4/T3S_Oj6RfQI/AAAAAAAAHoE/tUyYhckgKrk/s1600/Ridings.PNG

littledan
03-29-2012, 05:30 PM
^^^^ this poll seems fucked. from what i can tell, lots of liberal voters went over to the wildrose?? are these people jsut the anything but PC so vote for #2? i'm confused

71car2
03-30-2012, 06:54 AM
Undecided and gonna wait and see how the election will be like. IMO - people are like sheep following whoever leads their herd. Wildrose may look good but then again we tend to forget our history in politics.

I tell ya, history often shows that no matter what party or what politics - every "fat cat" whatever it be Liberals, NDP, PC or any (insert a name) party become a majority. They always fuck up something in the end of their term! The most common item we've seen is money sucked in.

Sure, wildrose party looks good in what is said in their promises if elected. But wait until they enter into second year or third year - they'll change their tone later! Just like any other party in the past to present

Look at our "Silly Hall" gang in Calgary and see what we get? That stupid red bridge ... gah!

speedog
03-31-2012, 03:30 PM
All of the four main candidates in the Calgary Klein riding are already breaking the signage laws, some even right in front of their own campaign headquarters (PC's). Makes it tough to vote for one of them if they can't even put up signs within accordance of the laws that we currently have in place. You want my vote - then show respect for the laws that we're all expected to obey.

hampstor
04-02-2012, 09:14 AM
308's aggregate poll updated yesterday to include recent polls done by Abacus and Campaign Research. Link to their comments:

http://www.threehundredeight.blogspot.ca/2012/04/wildrose-in-majority-territory.html

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pWMFIXqGwTM/T3kbEBobjiI/AAAAAAAAHps/fjum-1WS8yw/s640/Projection.PNG

By riding:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JNI02SWhAaM/T3kasy-YzsI/AAAAAAAAHpg/7dA2g8w3wZI/s1600/Ridings.PNG

kenny
04-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Can't wait to see the results of the Wildrose vote buying. Curious if that will reflect in the polls.

I think life is great for Albertans today, not sure what change we really need but from what I can tell nothing much will change with Wildrose in power. If you want change, vote Liberals. If life is good, stick with PCs.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Wildrose+promises+give+energy+surplus+cheques+Albertans/6398150/story.html

Ralph Bucks Part II

nonofyobiz
04-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Ralph bucks is a stupid idea. Take the money and reinvest it in infrastructure, health care, and education. I don't get how they can talk about giving money to everyone, and next budget time all we here about is how they will hike taxes and there is no fat to be trimmed, and schools are closing and there aren't enough doctors and blah blah blah. These ppl really don't know what the fuck they are doing.

CapnCrunch
04-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Can't wait to see the results of the Wildrose vote buying. Curious if that will reflect in the polls.

I think life is great for Albertans today, not sure what change we really need but from what I can tell nothing much will change with Wildrose in power. If you want change, vote Liberals. If life is good, stick with PCs.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Wildrose+promises+give+energy+surplus+cheques+Albertans/6398150/story.html

Ralph Bucks Part II

Wildrose just lost my vote. Idiots. :facepalm:

kvg
04-02-2012, 02:56 PM
40yrs is enough time in office for one party. Time to show the PC's that they don't get in no matter what in Alberta. If the vote was today I'd be voting Wild Rose.

heavyD
04-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Nearly everyone at my workplace is voting Wild Rose including my household. Things are definately going to be interesting and you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

masoncgy
04-02-2012, 04:12 PM
If Wildrose can present a plan that balances the budget, allows for adequate investment in infrastructure, education, health care, etc AND give back to those in the province during surplus years, perfect.

Sounds great actually. The province needs a change anyway, having a party in power for 40+ years is stupid.

Xtrema
04-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Here's what I think.

The energy industry is proving a point that you are gone if you fucks with royalty.

That is all Wildrose stands for. Nothing else. Get in our way and you are gone.

So many people got screwed by farmer Ed that we are now willing to vote Republicans to prove them wrong. That'll show them. :rolleyes: