PDA

View Full Version : Mods to the new bike... already!

bol
02-01-2004, 11:22 PM
I got bored tonight so I washed and waxed the bike in the garage. I've already added framesliders, fender eliminator with LP short stalks and flushmount front signals. Got a few more things on their way too ;)

http://photoalbum.cupfart.com/albums/R6MessageNet/DSCN0363.sized.jpg

http://photoalbum.cupfart.com/albums/R6MessageNet/DSCN0355.sized.jpg

slidewayz
02-01-2004, 11:25 PM
fuckin nice.. I am considering getting an 04 R1, which my old roommate calls a Piano.. He's getting an 04 CBR 1000RR, and no matter what he says.. I will kick his ass because I am a 110 lbs lighter than his fat ass :D

Ducati
02-01-2004, 11:50 PM
So nice! I stole your picture for My Pictures, because that is a nice shot of a great bike.

What have you done to get more gas flowing? Anything? R1's have pretty quick steering, and I think they would benefit from a good streering dampener.

Corbin seat; if you plan on having your ass on the bike any longer than 45 minutes, and hate buttburn as much as I do. Corbin transformed my 888 from a torture rack, to something as comfortable as a Honda VFR...okay, I also added Heli Bars to make it a little less hard on my wrists.

Air Cleaner...K&N...and a less restrictive airbox. The intake roar is impressive, and performance will increase...slightly.

You do not need internal engine mods to that bike. I made the mistake of going with high compressiuon Cosworth pistons and a V2 cam, and although I like the cam, the high Comp pistons are creating havoc for reliability. I will not do that again.

When the steering head and swingarm bearings wear out, be sure the replacements are tapered bearings.

The forks and swingarm on that bike are just fine from the factory.

If you want to play around with where the power comes on, try a few less or more teeth on the rear sprocket. That works well with some bikes, but I have no familiarity with it as applied to the R1, though.

What oil are you using?

kevie88
02-01-2004, 11:55 PM
That's an R6 mang!!

R6's have ram air and foam filters, I don't think a K+N will help, but it's nice to have a cleanable filter. The airbox is not a restriction on the R6.

Corbin seats are terrible on the r6, they force you away from the tank and make you stretch even further to the bars. I've hated just about every Corbin I've tried (on a sportbike), except for on a 748/916/996/999, which has a nice piece of 2x4 to sit on stock..lol

I don't like the tapered head bearings as much as the balls, I prefer the balls "feel" (I said "Balls Feel" haha), and they are much less expensive, not to mention they are far easier to get preloaded and don't react to being out of adjustment as badly. the stock stuff works, The factory Yamaha roadracing teams use balls.

bol
02-02-2004, 12:11 AM
I'm getting a Scotts steering damper... I don't think the '03 R6 really "needs" one but I've had a few scary headshakes in the past and a tankslapper on my old R6 so I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

I've never had a problem with hard seats... my back and wrists will start to ache before that...

I won't bother with a K&N on this bike... I had one on my '99 and I could see that the stock filtered better... the carbs got a lot dirtier once the K&N was on.

If I were to do power mods on this bike i'd get a power commaner and some velocity stacks. WIth the pipe I have and the right power commander map that'll give me 112rwhp at sealevel.

I want to do a 520 chain conversion and go down 1 on the front when my current chain is worn out... maybe in the fall.

I use Motul 5100 10w40 oil... smells soo good but after doing some reading it seems like Mobil 1 car oil with the red top without EC's is just as good too... and a lot cheaper.

kevie88
02-02-2004, 12:13 AM
Not a lot cheaper when you buy it from me tho!! :D

Ducati
02-02-2004, 12:24 AM
Uh, right - so it is an R6. I did not notice. D'oh!

Good to hear your experiences with the K&N.
The "Feel of Balls"...haha. I am going to pledgerize that. Seriously? Did you not find that ballbearing sets had a tendency to bind?

The Corbins seem to work on some bikes and not on others...and speaking of "Feel of Balls", I dont like seats that push me forward, either. I have no experience with Corbins on the R1 or R6, but have used them on half a dozen other marques, and found them to he a huge relief to my ass.

I found the added inch & a half of my HeliBars helped in my particular application, and releives stress to my wrists and between my shoulders.

What is a Power Commander? It sounds like a Japanese cartoon doll.

bol
02-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Ducati

What is a Power Commander? It sounds like a Japanese cartoon doll.

Haha... it's a computer add on to fuel injected bikes so you can change the fuel map and ignition timing(on some bikes.) So it's the fuel injected bike equivilent of changing jets on a carb.

integra_vate
02-02-2004, 12:37 AM
is that muffler just a slip on? also how much do those akrapovic run for in calgary?

kevie88
02-02-2004, 01:03 AM
They're pretty expensive, I think a slip-on is $999.99cdn retail.

integra_vate
02-03-2004, 01:48 AM
then whats a yosh gonna be worth. I'm just looking for sound

redevil
02-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Adam

Sweet so far!
Your making me jealous. I need to buy some frame sliders, and an exhaust for my bike too!

Where did you get the front stand from? How much btw?

Where are you ordering your stuff from? Is it on the internet? Let me know if it is cheaper where your getting it from.

Ariane

integra_vate
02-03-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by redevil
Adam

Sweet so far!
Your making me jealous. I need to buy some frame sliders, and an exhaust for my bike too!

Where did you get the front stand from? How much btw?

Where are you ordering your stuff from? Is it on the internet? Let me know if it is cheaper where your getting it from.

Ariane

hey redevil
does your seat get hot in summer from the exhaust?

bol
02-10-2004, 08:13 PM
I caved in...

EK 2.0
02-10-2004, 08:24 PM
What are frame sliders??...

Sorry for the Noob question from a guy with doors on his summer ride...lol...

redevil
02-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by integra_vate

hey redevil
does your seat get hot in summer from the exhaust?

No it doesn't. If the wind is blowing towards your legs from the rear of the bike you notice the heat, but other wise it's ok.

Hey bol where are you ordering your stuff from?

Dj_Stylz
02-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Looks real good Bol

p3nnywi5dom
02-10-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
What are frame sliders??...

Sorry for the Noob question from a guy with doors on his summer ride...lol...

If you look in the 3nd picture, you can see a cylinder sticking out of the side of the bike right beside the 'yzf'. In case of a crash, these things will save your frame from being bent to shit.

bol
02-10-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by redevil

Hey bol where are you ordering your stuff from?

Lots of places on the internet... eBay... and the R6 Messagenet. There are a lot of good deals out there if you can find em.

cbr_ryder
02-11-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by bol
I'm getting a Scotts steering damper... I don't think the '03 R6 really "needs" one but I've had a few scary headshakes in the past and a tankslapper on my old R6 so I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

I've never had a problem with hard seats... my back and wrists will start to ache before that...

I won't bother with a K&N on this bike... I had one on my '99 and I could see that the stock filtered better... the carbs got a lot dirtier once the K&N was on.

If I were to do power mods on this bike i'd get a power commaner and some velocity stacks. WIth the pipe I have and the right power commander map that'll give me 112rwhp at sealevel.

I want to do a 520 chain conversion and go down 1 on the front when my current chain is worn out... maybe in the fall.

I use Motul 5100 10w40 oil... smells soo good but after doing some reading it seems like Mobil 1 car oil with the red top without EC's is just as good too... and a lot cheaper.

How much did your dampener cost? Do they actually work that good? Aren't stabilzer shocks better? Not a big fan of the tank slappers, need some info...

Likwid_Fire
02-23-2004, 03:11 PM
very nice bol... quite a change from the zx7 if you're who i think you are...

remember jessi and salad on a particular trip out west? :D