PDA

View Full Version : suggestions? Looking for some P/T work

spikerS
03-29-2012, 11:36 AM
I have decided I need to supplement my income a bit here, and decided the best way for me to do that would be to pick up a second job P/T.

I am really not too concerned what the job would entail, as I am open to pretty much anything, but the kicker is, the hours I work at my regular job can swing around. For example, my shifts can be 6am-2pm, 7-3, 1-9, or 3-11. So I am looking for a job with some flexibility that I can do say 4-8pm or 8-noon kind of shifts. And then to top it off, I would only be available week days.

Anyone have some ideas I can look at?

a social dsease
03-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Maybe something like Safeway? I worked there when I was in HS and they were pretty flexible with the hours.

Sounds like it'll be a major pitb tho. Instead of adding more income, why don't you just try reducing your expenses? It might be alot easier than finding a part time job. Some suggestions: cut back on eating out, bike to work, sell your car and buy something older/cheaper, reduce your insurance/cell phone plans, shop at superstore instead of safeway, buy cheap beer, cut your own hair, sell anything you don't use on kijiji, etc.

Realistically if you have a PT making $10/hr and you work 15 hrs/wk, thats only $600/month minus taxes. You could probably save close to that just by cutting back expenses.

dj_patm
03-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Pizza delivery dude.

You make ridiculous money for a p/t job and they're all extremely flexible with shifts.

I've been doing it for 7 months now and I have yet to make less then $20 an hour in a night. Usually work 5 hr shifts so thats an easy $100 pretty much guaranteed but most of the time it ends up being between $25-30 an hr. Oh and its almost always under the table so tax free.

It does depend on where you work though. I know Pizza hut doesn't offer any hourly compensation and only pays per delivery + tips BUT they also get a ridiculous amount of business and because they don't get any hourly wage, when there not delivering they don't have to do anything. The place I work pays hourly so I have to clean pans and shit.

But in all honesty it's a sweet job. Just cruising all day.

swak
03-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Prostitute yourself.

Dilmah
03-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by dj_patm
Pizza delivery dude.

You make ridiculous money for a p/t job and they're all extremely flexible with shifts.

I've been doing it for 7 months now and I have yet to make less then $20 an hour in a night. Usually work 5 hr shifts so thats an easy $100 pretty much guaranteed but most of the time it ends up being between $25-30 an hr. Oh and its almost always under the table so tax free.

It does depend on where you work though. I know Pizza hut doesn't offer any hourly compensation and only pays per delivery + tips BUT they also get a ridiculous amount of business and because they don't get any hourly wage, when there not delivering they don't have to do anything. The place I work pays hourly so I have to clean pans and shit.

But in all honesty it's a sweet job. Just cruising all day.

This.

I averaged 20-25/hour best night I had was $38/hour cash money. I used 10% for gas max in the winter... Got flashed twice by two different young chicks FTW and got offered one BJ, turned that down.

Graham_A_M
03-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Dilmah

This.

I averaged 20-25/hour best night I had was $38/hour cash money. I used 10% for gas max in the winter... Got flashed twice by two different young chicks FTW and got offered one BJ, turned that down.

Please tell me she was atrocious (lets hoping it was in fact a "she"). Otherwise, WTF?????

Holy shit, Im in the wrong business... sounds like fun almost. :rofl:

TE4MFaint
03-30-2012, 07:48 PM
or if you're looking for something in the mornings, apply at a golf course as a course maintenance worker. I'm sure they wouldn't mind an extra hand to do the dirty work in the mornings. typically decent pay as well.

silviak91
03-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Do you know how to do siding i am looking for a helper $15 /hour
to start or if you are experienced i pay up to $30/hour

CanmoreOrLess
03-30-2012, 11:35 PM

This.

Roll old Cheech and Chong routine:

"Hey Lady. Did you order a pepperoni Pizza? Well, here's the pizza.
And, here's the pepperoni. [pause] un-ZZZzzzzzip."

Audio here: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/audio/play/80753768/

max_boost
03-31-2012, 12:04 AM
Part time food deliveries for a busy restaurant is the best way to go. It's really easy. Calgarians are very generous tippers imo

dj_patm
03-31-2012, 03:28 AM
fyi $31/hr tonight :thumbsup:

spikerS
03-31-2012, 10:48 AM
well, I am willing to do food delivery, but I have a feeling when I tell them I won't be available at nights if I do a 3 week stretch of late shifts, like the 1-9 or 3-11 shifts they are going to balk.

Can't hurt I guess. Any of these places you guys working at willing to hire someone like that? If so, I will come down and apply.

spikerS
03-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by silviak91
Do you know how to do siding i am looking for a helper $15 /hour
to start or if you are experienced i pay up to $30/hour

More than willing to help you out. I have plenty of construction experience from my youth, however not siding specific. closest that could compare would be framing and stucco.

If you are willing to let me set my own schedule, I would be willing to help you out.

dj_patm
03-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by spikers
well, I am willing to do food delivery, but I have a feeling when I tell them I won't be available at nights if I do a 3 week stretch of late shifts, like the 1-9 or 3-11 shifts they are going to balk.

Can't hurt I guess. Any of these places you guys working at willing to hire someone like that? If so, I will come down and apply.

No idea really, best thing to do is just go in and ask if they're looking for drivers. Try and keep it in an area you know decently well to keep the learning curve down.

Tell them about your schedule upfront and see what they say. Couldn't hurt.

max_boost
03-31-2012, 01:44 PM
Yea efficiency is huge. Screw up one order and it affects the timing of the other orders so best you know area. You aren't gonna get rich on this job but it's seriously one of the best part time jobs out there. You are gonna have some mediocre nights but it all evens out when you get a night where you make $160 for 4 hours of work lol

taemo
04-01-2012, 09:16 AM
where did you guys applied for the delivery job? always wanted to try it out and get some extra cash plus I love driving around.
tried applying on some restaurants and they never get back to me.

leftwing
04-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by TE4MFaint
or if you're looking for something in the mornings, apply at a golf course as a course maintenance worker. I'm sure they wouldn't mind an extra hand to do the dirty work in the mornings. typically decent pay as well.

Just for the record, private golf courses don't pay well. expect $13/hr if you have no experience. City golf courses however pay high teens-low 20's.

Graham_A_M
04-01-2012, 04:49 PM
^ And good luck getting on with them.

nzwasp
04-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Have you checked out calgary job shop, they have lots of jobs working out at the airport for the couriers, if you have lots of time theres p/t work at the hospital doing data entry.

taemo
04-08-2012, 09:13 PM
i've got to say that pt pizza delivery makes pretty decent money.
as soon i read this thread, went kijiji and responded to a job ad for boston pizza in the north. 3 hours later i get an email response asking if i wanted to start the next day.
3 shifts after, made over 250$ from about ~22 deliveries, no tax :thumbsup:

awesome job considering how much i love driving

Hallowed_point
04-08-2012, 09:17 PM

This.

and got offered one BJ, turned that down.

:confused: the fuck?

sneek
04-09-2012, 06:46 PM
This thread is making me want to take up part time work as a pizza delivery boy...

I am a pretty young guy in "middle management" (Overtime exempt :( ) working 70-90 hours a week. It sounds like I should quit and just deliver pizza for a living.

el_fefes
04-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Bellman/Valet is pretty fun and flexible for the most part. DT hotels will net you around $20/hr and you'll get to drive cool cars and see interesting and weird shit.

codetrap
04-23-2012, 12:44 PM
You could always start growing Weed in your basement.... I hear that's a pretty lucrative business.

taemo
05-01-2012, 12:34 PM
if anyone wants to do Boston Pizza deliveries in Creekside/Country Hills let me know.
Have to quit the job as I'm getting too busy with job and other stuff right now.

Probably one of the easiest and fun job I've had in a while, easy cash money every time I did it.

foreverchina
05-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by taemo
if anyone wants to do Boston Pizza deliveries in Creekside/Country Hills let me know.
Have to quit the job as I'm getting too busy with job and other stuff right now.

Probably one of the easiest and fun job I've had in a while, easy cash money every time I did it.

Do they offer something during the day something like open-7pm? or even just weekend shifts will be fine. If so I'd be interested.

clem24
05-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by taemo

How many BJs/week?

jsn
05-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by leftwing

Just for the record, private golf courses don't pay well. expect $13/hr if you have no experience. City golf courses however pay high teens-low 20's.

City golf courses pay well but not only is it hard to get on with them if you've had no maintenance experience, they're also unionized so they have a process of picking shifts. You can't just give them your availability and hope things work out. They generally have certain shifts set which you pick from. I used to work for the City of Calgary golf courses. Money was amazing for the type of work you were doing, but absolutely no flexibility when it came to time off or hours you worked.