PDA

View Full Version : Road Bike Recommendation

TYMSMNY
03-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Looking for a road bike, any good recommendations or experience with one? Minimum carbon frame. I've

Argon 18 krypton
Full 105 set. $2500
Semi 105. $2200

Felt F5
Semi 105. $2400

Felt Z5 $2500

Anything else in that range? Trek, Giant, Specialized are at a lower price point with semi 105 components. They range from about $1700-$2000.

Any input or comments would be appreciated.

msommers
03-29-2012, 04:01 PM
It looks like the most you want to spend is ~$2500? Are you wanting at minimum 105 components or higher like ultegra/dura ace?

Don't forget the other things like pedals, shoes, shorts, helmet, computer (maybe), a jersey I'm sure...adds up quick.

TYMSMNY
03-29-2012, 04:21 PM
I think minimum 105 or SRAM Apex (some believe it's not comparable to a 105 but...), nothing higher.

new Pedals 150
new Shoes 150
gear is taken care of.

Computer - hmm, reading the other thread about it. We'll see.

dimi
03-29-2012, 04:21 PM
I love Trek. Good bikes, good warranty/service, and most of all, good value. Nothing but great things to say about my Remedy 8 and I will be getting a Madone soon. Good enough for Armstrong, good enough for me.

swak
03-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Coming from a Ducati baller... Dura-Ace all the way mann!!!
:poosie:

haha... but in all seriousness, 105, unless you're racing is MORE than enough for anyone.
And APEX is NOT comparable to 105. APEX is shit. I would say SRAM Force is more comparable.

Thats kind-of what you'll get in the 2500 range. Is 105 with a carbon frame/crazy nice alloy frame.

waypastfast
03-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Go to ROAD on Centre Street or Bowcycle. Both shops have a great selection of carbon road bikes. Also take a look at the Cannondales at Bow or the Treks at Road. Stick with 105 or if you can find a Campagnolo bike check that out too....Veloce or Centaur. Great stuff!

TYMSMNY
03-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Cannondale Supersix 5
Semi 105. mediocre wheels. $2400

Trek Madone 4.5
semi 105. decent wheels. $2300

The more I look at these numbers, the more I like the Krypton although Felt has a better frame.

Dimi - Lance has a madone 6.9 (~$8800). LOL.... way past my 4 series Trek.

Waypastfast - Is Road pretty new? never came across them before. Just googled them, I guess it's the old/new Calgary Cycle?

Swak - LOL. When are we going for a bike ride.... the... motorized kind. :D

hmmmmm....

msommers
03-29-2012, 06:06 PM
You really can't go wrong with either of those bikes.

Don't forget about Giant as well. You tend to get better components per dollar with them I find.

TYMSMNY
03-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by msommers
You really can't go wrong with either of those bikes.

Don't forget about Giant as well. You tend to get better components per dollar with them I find.

Giant TCR Composite 2. Best one I found between Specialized, giant, and trek. agreed that it's a nice package!

msommers
03-29-2012, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure if they make that one anymore. I had a quick check on their website and it seems they offer two (Defy and TCR) composite frames with 105/ultegra parts - ~$2800 though. Pedalhead down on Mcleod might have some stock though on the Composite 2 and for Giant bikes, definitely go there!

HHURICANE1
03-29-2012, 07:17 PM
There are a couple of Cervelo models in that range as well. The R3 and the RS. They both have SRAM Rival which is = to 105. Apex would be like Tiagra. Ultegra would be Force. Red would be Dura-ace. I have had both Rival and 105 and I prefer Rival. Next bike will have Force or Red. I like the Double Tap system better. Nothing wrong with 105 if that is what you have your heart set on but at least try both out before deciding. Lots of really good bikes in that price range. It's pretty hard to go wrong with any of them.

swak
03-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
There are a couple of Cervelo models in that range as well. The R3 and the RS. They both have SRAM Rival which is = to 105. Apex would be like Tiagra. Ultegra would be Force. Red would be Dura-ace. I have had both Rival and 105 and I prefer Rival. Next bike will have Force or Red. I like the Double Tap system better. Nothing wrong with 105 if that is what you have your heart set on but at least try both out before deciding. Lots of really good bikes in that price range. It's pretty hard to go wrong with any of them.

THIS!
... yea my bad... Rival > Force > Red

But cervelo has a nice feeling stiff/light frame... Im a bit of a cannondale whore haha... (Aboslutely love everything about their builds (geo is perfect IMO)).
But the Madone is a kickass Frame too (dont know much about Trek).. but i have a buds with a Madone with 105 and absolutely loves it.
He is to Trek as I am to Cannondale though haha...

But in that price range, unless you go with a crazy carbon frame and get some shit drivetrain ie below Rival/105, then you'll be happy with your buy.
Buy what fits you the best.

.... and I just took the bike out of hibernation today :clap:
Am down to ride whenever (road or motor-road! haha // im a cyclist first and a biker second)

TYMSMNY
03-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by swak

THIS!
... yea my bad... Rival > Force > Red

But cervelo has a nice feeling stiff/light frame... Im a bit of a cannondale whore haha... (Aboslutely love everything about their builds (geo is perfect IMO)).
But the Madone is a kickass Frame too (dont know much about Trek).. but i have a buds with a Madone with 105 and absolutely loves it.
He is to Trek as I am to Cannondale though haha...

But in that price range, unless you go with a crazy carbon frame and get some shit drivetrain ie below Rival/105, then you'll be happy with your buy.
Buy what fits you the best.

.... and I just took the bike out of hibernation today :clap:
Am down to ride whenever (road or motor-road! haha // im a cyclist first and a biker second)

Apex < Rival < Force < Red :D

A cervelo is very nice but it's hitting in the high 2's...

superflychief
03-30-2012, 07:15 AM
Check out Specialized Roubaix. Mine is a few years old but it's an awesome bike in that price range.

benyl
03-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Goto to some bike shops and see what they have for old stock. I know I got a 2005 Trek Madone 5.2 in 2006 for way less than a 2006. Calgary cycle on Center sometime has left overs.

HHURICANE1
03-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Pretty much anything from the name brand builders is going to be good. Just check out a few from different brands and find the one that fits you best. At your price level you're not going to get great wheels but they are easy to upgrade later when the budget allows.

waypastfast
03-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
Waypastfast - Is Road pretty new? never came across them before. Just googled them, I guess it's the old/new Calgary Cycle?

The ROAD store is an extension of Calgary Cycle. It is strictly road bikes only in that store and now Calgary Cycle is only mountain bikes. I warn you though.....if you go into ROAD you may walk out with a new Colnago! MMMMM....Italian!! LOL

http://www.roadbicycles.ca/

gretz
03-30-2012, 10:10 AM
^^ Im getting sized up at TCR for a Colnago Air on Thursday... badass lol

bigboom
03-30-2012, 12:28 PM
at the $2500 price point why dont you check out the cannondale super six 5-c? might be the best bang for your buck bike at that price point this year. one of our hottest sellers right now.

all my bikes are running different groupsets right now...the two sram bikes (one has rival the other has force) are going to be replaced with ultegra. i dont think its just me but i've missed one too many shifts running double tap and i've had enough, not to mention the feel just isnt as nice.

i have 105 on an old cross bike from 2006 and it's running great. my DA bike is my favorite bike to ride because of the gruppo. only gruppos i'll run from now on are shimano and campy, fuck sram.

CLiVE
03-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Apex &lt; Rival &lt; Force &lt; Red :D

A cervelo is very nice but it's hitting in the high 2's...

I just picked up a 2011 Cervelo RS for $1700 from a dealer in California.

Cervelo had a deal on that if you and friend both buy, you each get $1000. May still be on. However the dealer I bought from was willing to drop the price regardless.

bigboom
03-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by CLiVE

I just picked up a 2011 Cervelo RS for $1700 from a dealer in California.

Cervelo had a deal on that if you and friend both buy, you each get $1000. May still be on. However the dealer I bought from was willing to drop the price regardless.

that deal ended in january :(

was a terrible deal for the bike shops, most of them ended up losing money on those bikes. pretty tough finding any cervelo stock due to that sale and the takeover by Pon. The only bikes we seem to have any left of right now is the S5.

CLiVE
03-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

that deal ended in january :(

was a terrible deal for the bike shops, most of them ended up losing money on those bikes. pretty tough finding any cervelo stock due to that sale and the takeover by Pon. The only bikes we seem to have any left of right now is the S5.

It was a sweet deal, especially on the RS & S2...

lil*tymer
04-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Just picked up a 11 Specialized allez elite. Not as pimp as you guys, but I already love riding it more than my mountain bike.