PDA

View Full Version : Changing the sub in my truck question.

ZMan2k2
03-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Right now I have a JL W1v2 in a custom .75cu inch sub box behind the seat in my truck. I'm powering it with an Alpine MRP-500 amp at 4ohms putting out 300w. It's nice, but I'm wanting a little more oomph. So my thought is to get the next step up and get the JL W3v3 2-ohm sub. Then the amp would put out 500w, and I'd gain excursion for movement of more air.

My question is, is this worth it? Would I see noticeable improvement, or is this not worth it? Opinions, suggestions, and "Shut up n00b" comments welcome.

Graham_A_M
03-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Sounds okay, just make sure the amp can do 2 ohms bridged (stable).
Hopefully you wont take too big of a loss to upgrade them. For a couple hundred extra $$$ or so; then I think its a wise choice.

All in all its your money. Seems like you know what to do. If all you have to do is upgrade the sub to get that much more performance out of the system then you may as well.

I'd also make sure you're running at least 4 gauge wire feeding the amp. I really hope you're not running 8 gauge as the extra power consumption will put quite a strain on the amp if its only being fed by an 8 gauge power source. 8 gauge is the bare minimum, but 4 will give you a lot more power to spare, and thus help your amps internal circuitry last longer as there will be less of a voltage drop when it reaches the amps input terminals when you really have it cranked.

ZMan2k2
03-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks. 4ga. is already run. The amp is 2-ohm stable. I'm just trying to decide if this is something worthwhile. Just need a push one way or the other, you know? haha. More thinking I guess. Trying to decide just how much benefit I'd get from it. That's really the big question.

Graham_A_M
03-30-2012, 07:35 PM
I'd say do it. You wont be adding much weight and you already have everything there. All you're really doing is selling off a slightly used sub and getting a new one. I'd check Kijiji, ebay and everything else to see if you can get a wicked deal on a slightly used one, then you've hit a home run.

ZMan2k2
03-30-2012, 07:44 PM
If I buy it, can my wife yell at you? :whipped:

Graham_A_M
03-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Yes. I'll PM you my number. :thumbsup:

theken
03-30-2012, 11:57 PM
Minimum Sealed Box Volume 1.25 cubic feet

Maximum Ported Box Volume 1.75 cubic feet

ZMan2k2
03-31-2012, 07:19 AM
Where'd you get those volumes? If you look on the JL site, the recommended volume for the sub is .625cu ft. They even give specs on building a box with that internal volume. That's one reason I'm looking at this one, but I'm interested in your source. I want to get as many different views as I can.

triplep
04-01-2012, 09:15 PM
No you are right, I just looked at the specs, and they do specify that size for the 10 inch sub... maybe he was under the assumption that it was a 12 inch sub? Because that is closer in spec with the 12 inch then the 10 inch.