PDA

View Full Version : Making Center Hub Bore Bigger on Rims?

BensonTT
03-31-2012, 04:38 PM
Hey guys, Is it safe to get a machine shop to make the center hub bore bigger on rims? Will this make the rims weak?? I just bought some rims with a 78mm bore but my truck is a 106mm bore... Please help me...:(

Graham_A_M
03-31-2012, 04:44 PM
I dont know, thats a pretty huge size difference. If you needed 85mill and you were at 78, I'd say go for it, but 106 is a fair bit of material to remove.

Can you post a pic of the hub? some hubs have so much "meat" to them that you could get away with it, others not so much. It also may be a wise idea to fire off an email to the rim manufacturer and see what they think. Structurally it may not be able to safely handle having that much metal removed.

EDIT:
Keep in mind; having it machined will be quite costly as they'll have to set up the CNC Mill to do the actual machining, and that can be quite costly. If everything pans out and it looks like it can be done; then thats great but at that point you may want to get a couple quotes.
I'd be quite surprised if you can get it done for less then $400-500.

You may want to PM Gretz. He's a machinist and can definitely steer you in the right direction or even do it for you.

BensonTT
03-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I dont know, thats a pretty huge size difference. If you needed 85mill and you were at 78, I'd say go for it, but 106 is a fair bit of material to remove.

Can you post a pic of the hub? some hubs have so much "meat" to them that you could get away with it, others not so much. It also may be a wise idea to fire off an email to the rim manufacturer and see what they think. Structurally it may not be able to safely handle having that much metal removed.

I can post pics later on when i get off work but do you think its unsafe then? it is quite a huge diff, 78mm to 106mm....

Cos
03-31-2012, 06:30 PM

gretz
03-31-2012, 07:01 PM
How is the rim formed (forged, cast, steel, etc...)? Contacting the rim manufacturer to ask their recommendation might not be a bad idea. It will likely cost 4-500 to have done by a machine shop, if they can get it in...

schurchill39
03-31-2012, 10:24 PM
I wouldn't recommend it if you are looking for that big of a difference in diameter. Like Graham said, it would be different if it was 7mm but you are looking at almost 3cm. Thats a lot of material to remove. I personally would never trust my vehicle with it.

D'z Nutz
04-01-2012, 12:37 AM
You're not really all that bright when it comes to posting threads in the correct sections are you?

BensonTT
04-01-2012, 12:40 AM
^ sorry am stupid :confused:

loweg
04-01-2012, 08:20 AM
I had a set if eg vx rims drilled out about 20 mm so they would fit on my Subaru Sambar truck. Got it done for a case of beer and they work perfectly now .

ianmcc
05-06-2012, 07:40 PM
You mean something like this...
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/02ztsian/Beyond%20Pics/DSCF8766.jpg

I did my BBS rims in an afternoon by myself. Ask me how!