PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Prototyping in Calgary? Need to Have Something Built

Joe-G
03-31-2012, 09:47 PM
Can anyone recommend any rapid prototyping services in Calgary?

Looking to have something built within the next week, so turnaround time must be somewhat decent.

Joe-G
03-31-2012, 10:17 PM

Graham_A_M
03-31-2012, 10:25 PM
If you need it out of wood, any cabinet maker can make it for you. Its not too hard to build it looks like. Come Monday I'd stop by a few places with the blueprints and get some quotes.

It may help if we were to know WTF it is or does, and whats its to be used for.

Depending on what it does (which I have no idea of) you can also have it laser cut out of metal of whatever thickness you need, and just have it welded into the shape you need. I know of a good variety of places that do laser/waterjet metal cutting, so let me know if you need any contact info regarding that. That would likely be a fair share more money but thats another viable option for you. There are a fair bit of welders that also work out of their garage that can do this for you for a very reasonable price. PM me if you want their numbers as I work at a Machine/Manufacturing shop, and know of quite a few very good journeyman welders.

A|pine
04-01-2012, 06:00 PM
University of Calgary does it for its students, not sure about regulars.

Check out the mechanical / machining shop which is in the basement of the engineering building and the Petro Canada Building (across from the new ISEEE building).

JRSC00LUDE
04-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Just get Arash to do it, his turnaround time on prototypes is unreal.

gretz
04-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Just get Arash to do it, his turnaround time on prototypes is unreal.

+1... hopefully he can chime in and point you in the right direction

ercchry
04-04-2012, 08:49 AM
i think SJW has a 3-D printer at his work. he also seems to have ample free time... :rofl:

http://www.flyfishcalgary.com/blocks.jpg

AndyL
04-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Protospace has the tools, betcha if you popped in to meet n geek next tuesday, you'd be able to choose between 3d printing, laser cutting or milling it out on the sherline...

R-Audi
04-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
i think SJW has a 3-D printer at his work. he also seems to have ample free time... :rofl:

Holy shit.. did he make that? I want one!

ercchry
04-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi

no, he made the cinder blocks and stole the wheels off his co-worker's model :rofl:

gretz
04-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi

Cinder blocks?

edit - beat me to it ya bastard

v2kai
04-04-2012, 11:19 AM
what are the dimensions? I've got one at work that is pretty idle as of late

Kavy
04-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

no, he made the cinder blocks and stole the wheels off his co-worker's model :rofl:

That is fucking awesome...

Hahahaha!

turbotrip
04-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by A|pine
University of Calgary does it for its students, not sure about regulars.

Check out the mechanical / machining shop which is in the basement of the engineering building and the Petro Canada Building (across from the new ISEEE building).

yea the U of C engg department does it for everyone, prices are supposedly cheaper than others too.

goride
04-05-2012, 11:20 AM
No model car is safe now!

Graham_A_M
04-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by goride
No model car is safe now!

Thats what happens when you park your model car in an office in the NE:dunno: