PDA

View Full Version : Can I drink red bull instead of coffee?

nodoubtt
04-02-2012, 06:34 AM
I hate coffee, and I absolutely prefer to consume a red bull when I need a boost of caffeine. On top of that, coffee makes me need to go shit almost right away whereas that doesn't happen with red bull. Everyone tells me that drinking red bulls is bad for your health, but no one can explain why, and I haven't found much scientific evidence supporting this online. The sugar in red bull is one obvious fact, but I drink sugar free.

So is it okay to drink, say, a can of red bull each day instead of coffee?

Modelexis
04-02-2012, 06:58 AM
My suggestion is to go to your local pharmacy and pick up a bottle of life brand caffeine pills, you get 100 100mg pills for about 6$
So that's 100 coffees worth of caffeine for 6$.

You fire this tiny pill down the hatch in the morning, if you want a higher state of alertness take two, upping the dose to 200mg.

It's a way different high than coffee, zero sugar, you will be wide awake for probably 7 hours with 200mg taken in depending on your body weight and how you respond to caffeine.

Red bull is overpriced and the sugar free has aspartame which is probably worse for you than the sugar.

Dumbass17
04-02-2012, 07:48 AM
energy drinks are the worst thing for you man
my doc said she was so sick of seeing mid 20's males coming in with erratic heart beats and heart problems, chest pains etc due to energy drinks...

Unknown303
04-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Drink it with vodka.

riander5
04-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Yea bro drink away definately no adverse health problems. The more ingredients in a drink you can't pronounce the better. Have at it!

OriginalGoods
04-02-2012, 08:03 AM
I drink water . I never drink coffee I've only had 2 my whole life. That stuff is gross

Kloubek
04-02-2012, 08:29 AM
^ Is probably true, but doesn't really help answer his question.

I agree with the pills, or you can use that 5 hour energy stuff that some people swear by - although I believe it is caffeine-free.

Keep in mind that if your body becomes accustomed to caffeine, then you will eventually stop noticing as much of a boost... but you *will* notice a lack of energy if you *don't* drink it. (This happens with many drugs).

My suggestion to you would be to use the 5 hour energy or caffeine pills... but if you do, do so only for a boost and don't expect it to be a cure-all every single day.

2Legit2Quit
04-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Anything that gives you wings can't be bad for you

kvg
04-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Redbull, etc makes you fat!!! Don't like coffee drink tea, or eat an apple.

Kloubek
04-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Actually, I heard about studies which claim that the scent of a freshly sliced citrus fruit like an orange has the same effect on the human mind as far as its ability to make you feel alert.

Not sure how true that is... just what I've heard.

theken
04-02-2012, 05:10 PM
allegedly an apple has the same affect as a coffee in the morning

Modelexis
04-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by theken
allegedly an apple has the same affect as a coffee in the morning

The only thing an apple will do is give you a sugar high, but this isn't anything like caffeine. Obviously if you take in 20 grams of sugar you will feel a little more energy but it won't last very long and it's not all that much better for you.

schocker
04-02-2012, 10:49 PM
I do that a couple times a week with my bowl of cereal at work :rofl:
Never more than one a day though, probably about 3-4 total at most per week.

Darkane
04-03-2012, 11:44 AM
The difference between the apple and coffee is the Caffeine in the coffee Stimulates the adrenal glands into producing Cortisol.

That's what makes you alert, and gives you energy. think mild Adrenalin.

Apple would spike your blood glucose for 2-3 hours. If you're hypoglycemic - The apple is Always a better bet.

Food for thought.

ZorroAMG
04-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Eat properly and get your body OFF the need for shit like caffeine.

BananaFob
04-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by kvg

I've actually heard the exact opposite...

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan/09/health/la-he-skeptic-weight-loss-caffeine-20120109

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/treatments/healthy_living/nutrition/healthy_caff.shtml

LongCity
04-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Doesn't answer your question but open up all the blinds/curtains in your house in the mornings as well as in your office if you work in one. The sunlight, surprisingly, helps quite a bit, too.

colinxx235
04-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by kvg

Redbull makes you fat....? :dunno:

Eleanor
04-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Eat properly and get your body OFF the need for shit like caffeine. I've read that moderate amounts of caffeine is good for you, rather than eliminating it all together :dunno:

I usually have a cup of coffee in the morning and a tea in the afternoon.

duaner
04-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
My suggestion is to go to your local pharmacy and pick up a bottle of life brand caffeine pills, you get 100 100mg pills for about 6$
So that's 100 coffees worth of caffeine for 6$.

You fire this tiny pill down the hatch in the morning, if you want a higher state of alertness take two, upping the dose to 200mg.

It's a way different high than coffee, zero sugar, you will be wide awake for probably 7 hours with 200mg taken in depending on your body weight and how you respond to caffeine.

Red bull is overpriced and the sugar free has aspartame which is probably worse for you than the sugar.
The 100mg Life brand caffeine pills are what I use as well. Used to get the 200mg but would sometimes get the shakes and feel queasy. Even now, if I just need a hit, I'll bite a 100mg in half but I'll take the whole thing if I need it.

But yeah, energy drinks are not good in the long run, although I find them quite tasty. Red Bull has nothing on Monster Drink or Beaver Buzz, which I used to consume in copious amounts. Glad I have gotten over that stuff.

Tik-Tok
04-03-2012, 02:05 PM
LoL at people putting down energy drinks and promoting caffeine pills.
Minus the sugar/aspartame , you don't think it has the same health side effects?

Modelexis
04-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Minus the sugar/aspartame , you don't think it has the same health side effects?

The OP stated he needs a boost of caffeine, the replies I provided were done with that in mind in a way that provides the caffeine without the extra needless sugars and chemicals.

Caffeine has it's risks and rewards, good effects and bad. Nothing new here.

ZorroAMG
04-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
I've read that moderate amounts of caffeine is good for you, rather than eliminating it all together :dunno:

How? Post findings not paid for by soft-drink or coffee companies.

duaner
04-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
LoL at people putting down energy drinks and promoting caffeine pills.
Lol at people who don't know the difference in content of an energy drink and that of a caffeine pill, especially one's who drink coffee. :rolleyes:

Swank
04-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by nodoubtt
...Everyone tells me that drinking red bulls is bad for your health, but no one can explain why, and I haven't found much scientific evidence supporting this online.

Don't expect to find much more than speculation and heresay here either.

JRSC00LUDE
04-03-2012, 03:33 PM

How? Post findings not paid for by soft-drink or coffee companies.

I had read an article once that said something to the effect of heavy drinking alcoholics who had coffee every day suffered less liver damage than those who didn't. I have no idea who may have supported the research behind those findings but, I think that's when I started drinking more coffee! :rofl: Not that I'm a heavy drinking alcoholic but when I do go drinking it's usually the equivalent of a fat kid at a buffet as far as quantity goes.....

max_boost
04-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Eat properly and get your body OFF the need for shit like caffeine. You might change your tune if one of the big companies come knocking for a commercial. :D haha

zipdoa
04-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Eat properly and get your body OFF the need for shit like caffeine.

+100000

I posted in the other Coffee thread about a making a proper shake for breakfast that will give you sustainable, healthy energy throughout the day. That is the way to go.

belly72
08-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Energy drinks is quite injures for health.Because when you takes the energy drink you instantly boost-up and energy level high suddenly ,on the other hand after spending couple of hours of boosting our energy level goes down very quickly even below our normal level.That's ups and down is direct caused to our health.
Des Moines weight loss (http://leanbodybootcampdesmoines.com/)

HomespunLobster
08-08-2012, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa

+100000

I posted in the other Coffee thread about a making a proper shake for breakfast that will give you sustainable, healthy energy throughout the day. That is the way to go.

repost this drink? I constantly feel tired. Doctor said I'm fine, energy drinks do shit all (i've never really believed in them anyways, short term and knocks me out more then helps)