PDA

View Full Version : Anybody import an Audi from the US

997TT
04-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Got a question about reprogramming the CPU to disable the feature of being able to turn on/off the daytime running lights.

Spoke to Audi and they want $500 for this. And another $200 for out of province. I'm okay with the $200 but it's the $500 that bugs me. Audi also said they convert everything ie farenheit to Celsius etc. Still seems a bit on the high side.

Anybody import an Audi that knows a shop who can do this cheaper?

I talked to my mechanic and he said he should be able to do it with a scanner but won't know for sure until he hooks up the scanner.

Neil4Speed
04-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Have you tried Lithium Motorsport? They may be able to point you in the right direction.

sillysod
04-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Talk to George @ tunedub or go on Eurodrivers.

It's just a couple changes to the ECU and can be done with Vag-Com (my version is too old though to do a C6A6). Might end up costing you nothing more than a couple cases of beer.

Xtrema
04-02-2012, 12:07 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/286705-DRL-configuration

I'm sure it's just VAG COM codes. Not sure if that fits your Audi model.

sputnik
04-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Are you going to pick up the car yourself?

If so, I would just talk to the dealerships in the area who aren't bitter of the fact that you bought a car from the US.

TL911
04-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Heyy 997TT,

I want to import an Audi from the US. Could you give me a heads up on how to do this and a possible dealer that you used? please!

Thanks

997TT
04-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Its already on its way. In hindsight I should've asked them for a quote at least.

Ill call tune dub and see how much theyll charge.

schocker
04-02-2012, 12:18 PM
US dealers typically do it for free iirc, my friend has had it done a few times.
Maybe check on vwvortex or whatever the audi equivalent is and see if someone knows the items to change and someone could just do it for you who has a vagcom cable and knows how to use it.

997TT
04-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Took me about a month to find it as I wanted a 2012 Tdi q7 with as little mileage as possible. All the dealers were quite responsive and good to deal with.

Obviously buying from a warmer climate will mean the vehicle hasn't been driven in winter conditions.

From here you just have to arrange shipping or if you plan on driving it back.

gqboy322
04-02-2012, 12:20 PM
all you need to do it vag-com

those guys on audiforum.ca can lend you a hand

my hex-can can use all the old and new models

Kloubek
04-02-2012, 12:21 PM
When I planned to bring a Mercedes across, my plan was to drive it up here and then stop at a dealership down there who could do it for me.

I'm quite certain for Audi it is just a setting in VAG COM which would take only a few minutes to make.

heavyD
04-02-2012, 03:14 PM
In 2008 my brother purchased a fully loaded 2007 A4 3.2 Quattro S-Line with 6000 miles on the ODO from a dealer in Minneapolis. He flew down and drove it back. I don't believe he had to do anything to the daytime running lights on his and you can make the metric/US change in the options menu. Maybe it's different for the higher line models but I doubt it.

997TT
04-02-2012, 07:19 PM
When i get the car, i'll try and change the metric/imperial stuff myself.

Tunedub got back to me. $110 for the reprogramming of the DRL. Heck of a lot better than the stealership.

germanmuscle
04-02-2012, 08:10 PM
You will prob be able to do all the conversions by reading the owners manual - if not vagcom - just gotta read up on it

as for the drl switch forget about it!

just go to canadian tire and they will pass it ( I have had this option on many cars that I have imported, not a single issue)

997TT
04-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Ya I want sure if disabling it was required.

Last thing I want is bringing in the vehicle for service and Audi performing the service and ringing me up after.

Does anybody know for sure if it's required? Ie disabling the ability to turn drl off/on?

4DoorGTZ
04-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Just make sure the DRL option is set to on when you're at CT for the inspection, worked for me on a car with a normal headlight switch, instead of "on" I left it on "auto" nothing was even mentioned of it.

997TT
04-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Just came back from Crappy tire. failed the inspection...lol

Said i had to reprogram the DRL so that it can't be turned off. Someone must've tipped those monkeys off.

Frick man...so much running around. Then start calling places and their all booked till middle of May.

Retarded me. should've got the US dealer to do it before it got shipped.

CanmoreOrLess
04-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by 997TT
Just came back from Crappy tire. failed the inspection...lol

Said i had to reprogram the DRL so that it can't be turned off. Someone must've tipped those monkeys off.

Frick man...so much running around. Then start calling places and their all booked till middle of May.

Retarded me. should've got the US dealer to do it before it got shipped.

You need an "in" to get this resolved right away. One assumes paying cash for reprogramming the DRL will be a solid incentive. Anyone on beyond able and willing?

Start a new thread offering cash for service.

997TT
04-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Be happy to pay cash. Tunedub says theyll do it for $110. Id pay that to anyone who'll do it.

Just want to get plates on this damn car so we can start using it.

nickyh
04-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Try www.eurodrivers.ca, there are a few guys on there with the hex-can cable who would do it for less than Tunedub.

I'd help but I only have a micro-can so I'm only good for A3's and TT's from the Audi line up.

CanmoreOrLess
04-20-2012, 08:25 PM
All in, how much do you figure you saved getting it from the USA? I have been looking for a Q7 diesel, the Canadian prices are still too high, they started 10K over the USA for sure.

Honestly thinking of buying a Q7 and trailer in the USA, bring back another vehicle to flip. My living costs are almost nil in AZ, just food and gas.

997TT
04-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Saved about $17k. All in my tdi from a can dealership is $79.8k.
I paid around $63k all in. Vehicle had 7k miles on it. I was told the GM of the dealership drove it as his personal car for 5 months. But who knows.

The used Q7 prices in Can are ridiculous. I'd either buy new or go to the US.