PDA

View Full Version : help with system

dj_honda
09-16-2002, 05:24 PM
i am not very inclined with stereo stuff yet, but anyways, i have a 12 inch alpine type s sub and a kenwood 2 channel amp
the amp is rated at 600W max if i were to bridge, but it is like only 300W RMS....so what i was wondering was.....is it safe for me to bridge the amp and hook up the sub? because the sub is rated at 600W and the max power that the amp could be making is 600W......what should i do? If not then i will not bridge it and just lead one channel to the sub although it will end up being like 150W RMS.......
thanks

RX-7_TWINTURBO
09-16-2002, 05:26 PM
is'nt that a 600 watt peak power ?
your amp has a rms as well depending it what ohm your at

dj_honda
09-16-2002, 07:41 PM
yes it is 600W peak power......
at 4 ohms(which is what i will be running i think) the rms is at 300W bridged
i just wanted to know...since the amp says 600W peak power...am i safe running to the type s?????
i understand that the amp will not be at 600W all the time....since the rms is 300W

RX-7_TWINTURBO
09-16-2002, 07:45 PM
you shoud be safe
i think kenwood overrates theyre amps as well

dj_honda
09-16-2002, 07:48 PM
haha
okay thanks for ur help man...
the only reason i bought it was it was boxing day and i got a decent price...

OMOYYC
09-17-2002, 01:57 AM
It's actually BETTER to run AMPS of higher power rating. Typically, speakers blow due to dirty power, where if you have a high power amp, your power will be clean, and, unless you go overboard with the volume, your speakers are actually safer.

On my old car, during my install period, I ran 100x2RMS amp to my front factories. I couldn't believe the difference in sound! And for sure the factories were rated at no more than 30watts each.

Make sure you know the limits of the subs listen and watch them carefully at high volumes :D

As you get to know stereo stuff better, you'll start to realize the "Advertised" power for amps and subs are VERY different between manufacturers.

Weapon_R
09-17-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Cwave
It's actually BETTER to run AMPS of higher power rating. Typically, speakers blow due to dirty power, where if you have a high power amp, your power will be clean, and, unless you go overboard with the volume, your speakers are actually safer.

True. I've been running over 600watts to my 500watt max power sub for months and months and not even a bit of distortion. Don't worry so much - warranty covers blown subs for the first year :)...after that...if they blow, it won't be such a big deal to get another set!

dj_honda
09-18-2002, 05:44 PM
alright cool
thanks for the help guys

Thor
10-08-2002, 04:08 AM
just don't max out the gains to the point that you're gonna start putting square waves into it...

clipping is bad mmmmkay?