PDA

View Full Version : F150 airbag sensor

danno
04-03-2012, 08:33 PM
So I took my truck in for a oil change and I havnt driven it in a week and now I'm getting my airbag light on my console going off. Its flashing 4-2. How do I go about fixing it.

I hate going to the dealship to fix things I find that they create more problems, like this one. For my gti I always go to tunedub, I have full trust that George won't screw around. End rant

Thanks

J-hop
04-03-2012, 09:11 PM
google has tons of results for this, but to save you searching:

B2296 42 Restraint System — Impact Sensor Status (Front Impact Severity Sensor Circuit Fault)

The code 42 you are getting is called a LFC or Lamp Fault Code. This is a general code showing the area of the problem. To narrow down the problem, you have to go to a dealer who has a scanner and can read DTC faults. This will tell them if the fault is in the sensor or if it has a communication fault (wiring or plugs).

If we assume it's a communication problem, this is where the manual says to start;

J2 INSPECT THE FIRST ROW DRIVER SIDE IMPACT SENSOR MOUNTING, AND MOUNTING SURFACE
WARNING: If the supplemental restraint system (SRS) is being serviced, the system must be deactivated and restraint system diagnostic tools must be installed. Refer to Air Bag and Safety Belt Pretensioner Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) in this section.

The air bag restraint system diagnostic tools must be removed and the air bag modules reconnected when the system is reactivated to avoid non-deployment in a collision, resulting in possible personal injury. WARNING: Do not handle, move or change the original horizontal mounting position of the restraints control module (RCM) while the RCM is connected and the ignition switch is ON. Failure to follow these instructions may result in the inadvertent deployment of the safety canopy and risk of personal injury. WARNING: Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment, which can result in personal injury. WARNING: The safety belt pretensioner is a pyrotechnic device. Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag equipped vehicle and when handling a safety belt buckle pretensioner or safety belt retractor pretensioner. Never probe a pretensioner electrical connector. Doing so could result in pretensioner or air bag deployment and could result in personal injury. WARNING: Never probe the electrical connector on a safety canopy module. Doing so can result in safety canopy deployment. NOTE: Diagnostics or repairs are not to be performed on a seat equipped with a seat side air bag with the seat in the vehicle. Prior to attempting to diagnose or repair a seat concern when equipped with a seat side air bag, the seat must be removed from the vehicle and the restraint system diagnostic tools must be installed in the seat side air bag electrical connectors. The restraint system diagnostic tools must be removed prior to operating the vehicle over the road. NOTE: After diagnosing or repairing an SRS, the restraint system diagnostic tools must be removed before operating the vehicle over the road. NOTE: After diagnosing or repairing a seat system, the restraint system diagnostic tools must be removed before operating the vehicle over the road. NOTE: The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.
Key in OFF position.
Deactivate the system. Refer to Air Bag and Safety Belt Pretensioner Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) in the Diagnosis and Testing portion of this section.
Access the first row driver side impact sensor located behind the front door trim panel. For additional information, refer to Side Impact Sensor—Front Row in this section.
Inspect the first row driver side impact sensor for:
loose electrical connector and ground wire.
damaged J-clip.
loose sensor mounting bolt.

CAUTION: The ground wire must be placed between the bolt head and the sensor. Never position the ground wire between the J-clip retaining nut and the sensor.
CAUTION: Always replace the J-clip retaining nut whenever installing a side impact sensor.
Remove the first row driver side impact sensor.
Visually inspect the first row driver side impact sensor, alignment tabs, electrical connectors, J-clip and mounting surface for damage, corrosion or dirt.

Was a significant amount of corrosion or dirt found, or was the first row driver side impact sensor attached to the mounting surface incorrectly or was the impact sensor bolt not fully seated and tightened correctly?
Yes
CLEAN and TIGHTEN the bolt. REPAIR the mounting surface as necessary. REINSTALL the first row driver side impact sensor. GO to J54 .

No
GO to J3 .
J3 INSTALL THE FIRST ROW DRIVER SIDE IMPACT SENSOR AND CARRY OUT THE ON-DEMAND SELF TEST

danno
04-03-2012, 09:37 PM
I found that one as well. Just seeing if anyone here has tips as well.

J@Tuner
04-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Take it to the dealer and get a service advisor to pull up the VIN on the system and see if it qualifies for a recall.

Our Ford wasn't on the recall list but if it was it is a free fix and worth it! Ford says with the faulty air bag sensor they have had a few air bags randomly go off :eek: :eek:

Shlade
04-04-2012, 10:15 AM
^

What J said.. Their known to go off randomly.

I know a guy in his mustang who had the same thing happen and his air bag deployed from the passenger seat. Scary stuff. Take it in and get it checked out.

HO2S
04-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
^

What J said.. Their known to go off randomly.

I know a guy in his mustang who had the same thing happen and his air bag deployed from the passenger seat. Scary stuff. Take it in and get it checked out.

They are not known to go off randomly, If they were there would be so many lawsuits and meida attention. It would be just as big as the toyota sticking throttles. Air bags dont just get deployed at random there is alot of criteria that has to be met before the deploy command is sent. I just read the recall for f150 air bags, its for a bad clock spring harness and the "potential" for deployment. If they were deploying the recal would say to tow your truck to the dealer.
With code 42, the air bag modual cannot communicate with the front crash sensor. So the air bad light is illuminated and the system is disabled.
The internet is just as bad as the movies for airbag bs.

ExtraSlow
04-04-2012, 11:36 AM
There is a recall out there for Airbags on certain years of these trucks.
Get a dealer to run your VIN. That's free, and if the recall work hasn't been done, you will get that free as well.

danno
04-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Ok thanks I'll call tonight. See if its been done.

ExtraSlow
04-04-2012, 01:34 PM
The Recall I'm talking about is 11s18 - Air Bag Wire Harness Replacement. It covers most 2004-1006 F150's I believe.

There may be others.

StreetRacerX
04-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
The Recall I'm talking about is 11s18 - Air Bag Wire Harness Replacement. It covers most 2004-1006 F150's I believe.

There may be others.

Got a letter in the mail from Ford about this bad boy, going to have to pull the truck out to get it done soon I guess.

danno
04-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Just called and it's had it's recall done. So I'd have to pay to get it checked. Its going to sit most of the summer so I'm not in a rush.

I'll pick apart at it when I get the chance.

ExtraSlow
04-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Depending what part of town you are in, you may want to check out "our mechanic" on Edmonton trail I use them for my non-warranty work, and I've been really happy. they don't seem to be out to screw the customer, which is a big change from my previous mechanics.

Rat Fink
04-04-2012, 09:10 PM

SOAB
04-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
The recall involves removing the two plastic screw covers on the back of the steering wheel, then the two 8mm bolts underneath those. Then, the airbag can be brought forward away from the steering wheel and the harness gets replaced with a new one and then it gets re-assembled. Not even 5 minutes of work. Our customers that come in strictly for that usually don't even have time to drink a shitty cup of coffee

i've had this recall done to my truck. would it have any effect on the power seats or power mirrors?

it seems that those 2 functions stopped working after i took it in. maybe it was just coincidence... :dunno:

danno
04-05-2012, 12:40 PM
That's how they get you to come back. They take out a wire and when it comes back easy hour or two of labour for them. Like I said my airbag light came on right after being at the dealer.

Either way the light was off this morning. Yay

danno
04-05-2012, 05:15 PM
It's back on. From what my research I think it's the sensor in Front of the rad I guess it corrodes fast.

J-hop
04-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by danno
That's how they get you to come back. They take out a wire and when it comes back easy hour or two of labour for them. Like I said my airbag light came on right after being at the dealer.

Either way the light was off this morning. Yay

I wonder if that is something that could be the result of washing the truck as I assume they wash the truck with the service? I duno, I realize I'm just playing devils advocate, just seems a reputable dealer wouldnt be pulling stunts like that for pennies.

Rat Fink
04-05-2012, 10:06 PM

danno
04-06-2012, 08:28 AM
I'll check those fuses, the wires below the impact sensor appear to be a little corroded. I'll get a chance today to look at them and take it apart. Thanks for the tips. I have the specs on the impact sensor and the will be tested as well.

I'm not a mechanic, I enjoy trying to figure out my car and m truck but it is not my expertise. Yes I'm good at my job ask guys on the forum that I've helped out. And no I wont be out of my job 9 years and counting with the same company with shares in it. But let's keep it on topic

SOAB
04-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

Wouldn't affect it, likely coincidence. Check fuse 109 and fuse 3 in the fuse box at your RH kick panel. You can PM me if you want to move it to pms. I remember finding a shitty splice in the RH kick panel that likes to rot out from corrosion that affects power mirrors, memory seats and adjustable pedals too. I don't have the right plugin on my home laptop to view the wiring diagrams (just working from memory) but I'm "pretty sure" it was an orange wire with green stripe. If the fuse is still good, maybe check that splice. It's where the wiring harness curves from the floor towards the bottom of the instrument panel behind the passenger side kick panel. (look for the two orange/green wires running into one orange/green wire). The splice is taped with what almost looks like hockey tape (great idea!) so it gets rotten with green death. Check it out, I've had a few of those now. Cut out the rotten section, re-splice and seal with shrink wrap and you'll be golden. You could even jump the wires with a test lead before tearing apart the splice to make sure that's your issue.

thanks man. i'll look into it a little more when i have some spare time.