PDA

View Full Version : Fleury Comeback?

hockeybronx
02-02-2004, 04:56 PM
Just opening a thread up to see what everyone thinks.
Do you think it is possible for Fleury to make a comeback?
Do you think any team would take him?
Was he serious when he said he'd play in Calgary for free?
Can he get himself back in shape to be IMO one of the best players in the NHL?

I think he can comeback for sure, a guy like that can do anything he sets his mind to. I'd love to see him come back.

Let me know what you think.

88CRX
02-02-2004, 05:18 PM
He's a drama queen :thumbsdow

I will personally egg his house if he comes back to play for the Flames.

ryder_23
02-02-2004, 05:54 PM
all the coke dealers would like it if he came back
:thumbsdow for fleury

4G63Power
02-02-2004, 05:58 PM
and the answer to all the questions is "No!"

BigShow
02-02-2004, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't want to see him play for Calgary for again.

V_boy
02-02-2004, 06:27 PM
I think he'd be alright, but definitly not first or second line material..... not until he can prove himself. But then again, calgary has been having some bad luck with some vets trying to play.

A_3
02-02-2004, 06:31 PM
Definetly not a good addition for the Flames, if he could control himself he would be decent, BUT time and time again he has proven he can't. Also the refs all hate Fluery, the last thing the Flames need is Fluery getting pointless penalties. Boo to Fluery :thumbsdow

NickGT
02-02-2004, 06:36 PM
Flames are doing fine this year. They don't need a clown like Fleury bringing all his problems to the team. He's washed up, a waste of skin, and will never be half the player he was back when the Flames won the cup.

-edit-

I stand corrected, he will probably never be the player he was around the time after the flames won the cup ever again.

hockeybronx
02-02-2004, 07:07 PM
It appears I will be against all of you. Here are some facts for you all.
1). Fleury was NEVER proven to be addicted to any kind of drug. All he admitted was alcoholism. The Islanders fans started the "crackhead" chants because the league would only classify his problems as "substance abuse". If you talk to anybody who knows Fleury personally (which I have), they will tell you that his problems are NOT drug related. (unless you consider alcohol a drug).

2). FoxLX mentioned he'd never be half the player he was when the Flames won the cup. The fact is that his best season was not 1989. His best seasons were 1990, 92, 93 and 2000. Factor in his physical play and plus minus, and he actually got better since the cup winning year.

3). I want to question how long you guys have been around hockey. I started playing hockey when 16 years ago when I was 2 and have watched it ever since. I know for a fact that pound for pound when Fleury can control his temper there is not a better player in the NHL. He can score, he can set up people, he can hit, he has fought in the past, he plays with emotion, and he is really good with young players.

I don't agree that he is washed up or would do teams more harm than good. When he can control himself (which he can do, just look at the 2000 Rangers year), he is among the best players in the NHL.

Name any other player that can play Fleury's style of play, producing as much as he has, with as many negative fans, at only 5 foot 6 182 pounds?

We can argue either way, but when you guys give responses such as "Boo Fleury", "Coke dealers would like it", "egg his house", "he's a clown", it makes me questions your hockey knowledge and makes me wonder if you are just conforming to the views of the harsh New York media.

max_boost
02-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Until he can resolve his personal problems, no one is willing to take a chance on him. Given his age, how many years does he have left anyway? It's sad to see him in this state, considering how bright everything was for him. I don't know exactly what his issues are, but I imagine it might have something to do with ....... Kennedy and Graham James. Anyway, it would only be fitting for him to finish up his career in CAlgary.

88CRX
02-03-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
All he admitted was alcoholism.

and since when is that ok?

I know for a fact that pound for pound when Fleury can control his temper there is not a better player in the NHL.

:rofl: your kidding right? i could think of 20, maybe 30 players with more raw skill then theo.

Name any other player that can play Fleury's style of play, producing as much as he has, with as many negative fans, at only 5 foot 6 182 pounds?

who cares about his height. ya thats great that hes 5 foot nothing and can play in the nhl. but so what. he was given a chance in new york and he fucked up.... so then chicago gave him a chance and he fucked up yet again. do i sence a pattern. and how could he have leaned how to clean up and deal with his issues, cause when the nhl wanted to help him, yes help him, he told them to shove it :dunno:

hockeybronx
02-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Hey 89CRX.

This is obviously highly an opinionated issue.

However, my comments about the alcoholism was towards all the people of the world who dubbed him a "crackhead".

You could name 20 or 30 players better than Fleury? There aren't even 10 players in the NHL that are his size. Have you ever played hockey? Obviously not. I've played high levels of hockey ever since I was age 13 when size became a factor. Look at the NHL these days, the players are larger than life. To go an 82 game season with that size of body against the size others are is amazing, let alone to produce like he did.

You say he screwed up in New York? Look at the numbers, in three seasons he produced 64, 74, and 63 points. Theres no doubt he hurt them when he had his problems, but when he didn't aside from Leetch he was their most valuable player.

You say deal with it? People have trouble quitting smoking. Try going through family problems (his wife has drug problems), the stresses of one of the hardest cities to play in in the NHL, fans such as the NY Islanders who call him a crackhead.

People don't realize that there is a difference between hockey and life. When you chant "Theo's a crackhead", and the media exploits him the way it did, to a man who is unstable in every area you are causing serious harm.

This goes way past if people like him as a player, he made mistakes and he admitted them, you can tell me you've never made a mistake?

The fact is that everybody should have gotten behind him and helped him through it, but instead people he thought were his fans turned on him and made things worse.

bigboom
02-03-2004, 12:52 AM
i would love to see fleury back in a flames jersey, he did so much for calgary and he always had a good time here. he will always be one of my favorite all tiem flames because of the things he did for us. but he does need to get his life straightened out and maybe comnig to play for calgary will help him with that.

hockeybronx
02-03-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by bigboom
i would love to see fleury back in a flames jersey, he did so much for calgary and he always had a good time here. he will always be one of my favorite all tiem flames because of the things he did for us. but he does need to get his life straightened out and maybe comnig to play for calgary will help him with that.

:werd: :thumbsup:

JordanLotoski
02-03-2004, 12:54 AM
flames who are the flames?

ohhh right there our so called hockey team.....:zzz:

88CRX
02-03-2004, 01:06 AM
The fact is that everybody should have gotten behind him and helped him through it, but instead people he thought were his fans turned on him and made things worse.

umm... actually the NHL did try to help him, he refussed.

and i have also played hockey my entire life and yes i was smaller then most players but that doesnt mean i get special treatment and neither should he when being compared to other players.

so what he's short.

and you say he had 60+ points... so what. he caused (yes he caused it) so much drama its sickening. having temper-tantrums on the ice. ok. then he went and did the same shit in chigaco. how do you figure hes not gonna pull the same cry-baby antics here?

RiCE-DaDDy
02-03-2004, 02:33 AM
plus when he played for CHI, he was horrible

bigboom
02-03-2004, 11:09 AM
but thats the thing, whe he was in calgary he was more controlled he never had those kinds of outbreaks. look at where most of his problems started...after he left calgary. who knows if he gets back into calgary and its setting, it might change him for the better. why rag on a guy for things he did after calgary when clearly he loves calgary and its team. give the guy some respect...he was the lone star in calgary for years propping the team up and all you guys can do is bash him?

sometimes you need to figure things out on your own. not have someone tell you how to do it or what programs you need to accomplish that. but then again ive always been a flames fan and have always had respect for fleury because of what he did in calgary.

lam-boy
02-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by bigboom
but thats the thing, whe he was in calgary he was more controlled he never had those kinds of outbreaks. look at where most of his problems started...after he left calgary. who knows if he gets back into calgary and its setting, it might change him for the better. why rag on a guy for things he did after calgary when clearly he loves calgary and its team. give the guy some respect...he was the lone star in calgary for years propping the team up and all you guys can do is bash him?

sometimes you need to figure things out on your own. not have someone tell you how to do it or what programs you need to accomplish that. but then again ive always been a flames fan and have always had respect for fleury because of what he did in calgary.

:werd:

okay, hes trying to over come alcoholism. he was always an idependant guy was he not? so maybe it would make him feel better if he over came this problem by himself, without anyones help. i know for sure if he cleaned up his act iwould love to see him back in a flames jersey, he does nothing but bring back memories.

jdmsource
02-03-2004, 12:59 PM
i loved watchin Fleury when i was younger and would like to see him back in the flames line up!

accordboi_02
02-06-2004, 10:03 AM
One thing everyone seems to forget is Fleury's performance at the Olympics... that was during his "problems" yet he went out at Salt Lake, and played great for Canada... didn't do anything that cost them at all.

If he can do that kind of thing in Calgary, he'd be a great addition.
Also, don't forget, Calgary is no where near the kind of city that NY or Chi are, so perhaps there will be a little less stress, and there will definitely be less vices for him here... it might be a good way for him to go out.

Only problem is that he is still technically Chicago's property; we'd need to get the rights to him from them first.

DeSi
02-06-2004, 10:40 AM
i'd holla if he came back:thumbsup:

ryder_23
02-06-2004, 04:26 PM
It appears I will be against all of you. Here are some facts for you all.
1). Fleury was NEVER proven to be addicted to any kind of drug. All he admitted was alcoholism. The Islanders fans started the "crackhead" chants because the league would only classify his problems as "substance abuse". If you talk to anybody who knows Fleury personally (which I have), they will tell you that his problems are NOT drug related. (unless you consider alcohol a drug).

Have you talkd to him personaly? or do you know him personaly? your statements are just like the media...i can deny i dont do something, and keep it from friends, but it doesnt mean i dont do it. Sure the coke head rumors might be just rumors, but they could also be true. Until theres proof he is or he isnt, its all speculation. just cause your "friend" talkd to him, doesnt mean he wasnt lying to him, and yes family and friends lie to each other all the time, no matter what you think.

3). I want to question how long you guys have been around hockey. I started playing hockey when 16 years ago when I was 2 and have watched it ever since. I know for a fact that pound for pound when Fleury can control his temper there is not a better player in the NHL. He can score, he can set up people, he can hit, he has fought in the past, he plays with emotion, and he is really good with young players.

I started playing hockey when i was 5-6, and still follow it closly today. and fleury did all this in the PAST...if he was doing all this fine and dandy, dont you think the flames woulda kept him? if theres not a better player in the nhl, dont you think they woulda payed him enough to stay on there team? or if hes having trouble with the management, change it up, just so they can keep him??? they traded him for a reason, he wasnt the player he use to be, so you think he can leave, and come back a better player?

I don't agree that he is washed up or would do teams more harm than good. When he can control himself (which he can do, just look at the 2000 Rangers year), he is among the best players in the NHL.

all your examples are in the past, hes been going downhill...what makes you think an alcoholic can come back as good as a player as he was in his prime?

If your so for fleury, go talk to the flames management, and prove points that he will be as good as he was in his prime....which i and alot of people feel hes way passed.

Originally posted by DeSi
[B]i'd holla if he came back:thumbsup:

holla at what? his wife?

A_3
02-06-2004, 04:31 PM
^ nice, i would also like to add Fleury has chron's disease (think that's how you spell it, please forgive) that combined with his age and size is probably not a good thing. Yes fleury was an amazing player in his day but i think his time is done.

gongSHOW
02-06-2004, 06:28 PM
I believe that Fleury would be a great addition to the flames. He has shown that he can play the game but his problems outside the game have what everyone has been seeing. It is known that the had problems with alchol when he was in Calgary, but the people of Calgary and the personell would not let this become a problem. The problem with him in Chicago and New York, I think is that it is so easily accessed. He played very well in Olympics, right in the midst of these problems and I believe he would be a great addition to Calgary. Not many players of his caliber come for free :eek: !

hockeybronx
02-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by SIRCANADA
flames who are the flames?

ohhh right there our so called hockey team.....:zzz:

:werd: :werd: :werd:
I guess I'm not the only one who thinks they suck cunt

hockeybronx
02-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23

Have you talkd to him personaly? or do you know him personaly? your statements are just like the media...i can deny i dont do something, and keep it from friends, but it doesnt mean i dont do it. Sure the coke head rumors might be just rumors, but they could also be true. Until theres proof he is or he isnt, its all speculation. just cause your "friend" talkd to him, doesnt mean he wasnt lying to him, and yes family and friends lie to each other all the time, no matter what you think.

I started playing hockey when i was 5-6, and still follow it closly today. and fleury did all this in the PAST...if he was doing all this fine and dandy, dont you think the flames woulda kept him? if theres not a better player in the nhl, dont you think they woulda payed him enough to stay on there team? or if hes having trouble with the management, change it up, just so they can keep him??? they traded him for a reason, he wasnt the player he use to be, so you think he can leave, and come back a better player?

all your examples are in the past, hes been going downhill...what makes you think an alcoholic can come back as good as a player as he was in his prime?

If your so for fleury, go talk to the flames management, and prove points that he will be as good as he was in his prime....which i and alot of people feel hes way passed.

holla at what? his wife?

You could be one of the stupidest people I've seen on this website. First of all I have talked to people very close to Fleury. Like who? Jeff Shantz would be the only big name, but also some operations people at the Saddledome who have talked to Fleury when he has come back to Calgary (he does still have one house here you know).

If you had your head half way out of your ass you would have heard that the Flames could not afford Fleury's big contract any longer so they traded him for Rene Corbet. You think he was going downhill? Look at the numbers, he got 24 points in 15 games with the AVS, and need I mention how many times the Flames have made the playoffs without Fleury... 0! It is a coincidence, it must be hey, you seem to think you know everything anyways.

He's not going to be as good as he used to be, but compared to the rest of the Flames he would fit in well. Regardless of what happens on the ice, he has one thing that so many other players don't have...heart. Through all his rage and mistakes he has proven he will do anything to win, and he will do anything for his team, don't you remember the Salt Lake Olympics?

A_3
02-07-2004, 02:00 AM
Maybe he would fit in well with the team playing wise, but let's not forget the ref's hate fluery and time and time again he's lost it on the ice... is it a risk worth taking for the flames? Personally i don't beleieve so, if you weigh the pro's and con's sure he might score the flames more goals and get points... but will he also be a distubance to the team chemestry, will he get alot of penalties, and how will he handle the media scrutiny. All important questions.

Team_Mclaren
02-07-2004, 02:11 AM
hockeybronx: i thought u hate the flames, so what does it matter to u?:confused: :dunno:
but since no one here like the leafs may be u can find a toronto forum and brag about shit there?:dunno: :zzz:

hockeybronx
02-07-2004, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by A_3
Maybe he would fit in well with the team playing wise, but let's not forget the ref's hate fluery and time and time again he's lost it on the ice... is it a risk worth taking for the flames? Personally i don't beleieve so, if you weigh the pro's and con's sure he might score the flames more goals and get points... but will he also be a distubance to the team chemestry, will he get alot of penalties, and how will he handle the media scrutiny. All important questions.

Yeah you are definetely right, I think it would be best if they picked him up in the summer some time. Now is probably not the best time, sure he could tear it up and peform miracles, but there is always the chance where he disrupts everything.

Personally I would like to see him on the Leafs. It would be my dream line: Tucker (my favorite player) LW, Fleury (my second favorite) RW, and Owen Nolan at Center

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
hockeybronx: i thought u hate the flames, so what does it matter to u?:confused: :dunno:
but since no one here like the leafs may be u can find a toronto forum and brag about shit there?:dunno: :zzz:

:english: What the hell are you talking about. Fleury said the only team he'd play for is the Flames, and that he would play for free. Yes I hate the Flames with a passion, and I have the standings to support the fact that they suck. Who's your favorite team anyways? The Columbus Blue Jackets?