PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have issues with woodpeckers too?

JDMMAN
04-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Anyone know what breed of bird this is? I think its a woodpecker of sorts. Ended up making a hole in one of the decorative beams at the entrance of my house... the constant pecking noise is driving me nuts!

Any ideas? I was thinking of injecting sprayfoam in the hole so that it doesn't come back.

Tik-Tok
04-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Have you checked your beam for bugs? A woodpecker going nuts on a beam is a good indication you might have an insect infestation. Get rid of them, and you get rid of the woodpecker.

ExtraSlow
04-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Word, woodpeckers aren't hammering away with their skulls for fun. If the woodpecker stays more than a few minutes, or keeps coming back, there are bugs in there.

JDMMAN
04-07-2012, 06:17 PM
I don't believe there are termites in Calgary... not sure what kind of bugs that could be inside there :confused:

ExtraSlow
04-07-2012, 06:51 PM
There assuredly are termites in Calgary, however, after some further investigation, I don't think this is a woodpecker.

I had a look through my bird book, and it's not matching any of the common peckers as far as i could see.

Looks most like a Red-breasted Nuthatch. According to my book, it eats confier seeds, as well as beetles and bark-dwelling bugs. If you see this bird walking head downwards on the tree (lumber) then that's pretty characteristic.

Aside from looking for food, it is the right season for this bird to be building a nesting cavity. They only do this in rotten wood, so if that's the case, that lumber is already fucked.

Leave the little dude (or dudette) alone and you may have a good nature show as 5-6 eggs are laid and hatch in about 12 days, with the young leaving the nest 18-21 days later.

Note I'm no kind of expert, just a guy who consulted his copy of "handbook of the Canadian Rockies" by Ben Gadd. An excellent book.

Kijho
04-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Yo I'll come airsoft that muthafuqqqaaaa for you for $69.

Hahaha kidding kidding, I would just spray foam / put some chemical stuff in there.:clap:

Tik-Tok
04-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by JDMMAN
I don't believe there are termites in Calgary... not sure what kind of bugs that could be inside there :confused:

Beetle Larvae.

JDMMAN
04-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I thought it was pecking at the beam for making a nest too. I don't mind it too much, just wanted to make sure it doesn't go all the way through. :thumbsup:

90_Shelby
04-08-2012, 09:18 AM
It's probably making a nest. My neighbor had an issue with a nuthatch pecking a hole through the side of their stucco house. No beetles or bugs inside stucco.

J-hop
04-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
There assuredly are termites in Calgary, however, after some further investigation, I don't think this is a woodpecker.

I had a look through my bird book, and it's not matching any of the common peckers as far as i could see.

Looks most like a Red-breasted Nuthatch. According to my book, it eats confier seeds, as well as beetles and bark-dwelling bugs. If you see this bird walking head downwards on the tree (lumber) then that's pretty characteristic.

Aside from looking for food, it is the right season for this bird to be building a nesting cavity. They only do this in rotten wood, so if that's the case, that lumber is already fucked.

Leave the little dude (or dudette) alone and you may have a good nature show as 5-6 eggs are laid and hatch in about 12 days, with the young leaving the nest 18-21 days later.

Note I'm no kind of expert, just a guy who consulted his copy of "handbook of the Canadian Rockies" by Ben Gadd. An excellent book.

yea I think you are right about the nuthach, and from the nesting section in the wiki article:

Members of the Red-breasted Nuthatch superspecies excavate their own tree holes, although most other nuthatches use natural holes or old woodpecker nests.

R-Audi
04-09-2012, 08:54 AM
We have a woodpecker that has been annoying the shit out of us.. and our house is stucco. Not quite sure why he would be chipping away at Stucco, but I have my airsoft waiting for him now!

Tik-Tok
04-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Bugs get into stucco too.

JudasJimmy
04-09-2012, 11:58 AM
build/buy a bird house, maybe he will move in there if you put it close and semi-out of the way. Having bird crap on your walkway isn't all that nice either.

D'z Nutz
04-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
We have a woodpecker that has been annoying the shit out of us.. and our house is stucco. Not quite sure why he would be chipping away at Stucco, but I have my airsoft waiting for him now!

We had a woodpecker that was pecking at our stucco too. My friend told me they're highly territorial so if you hear them going at it, tap on the wall repeatedly so that it thinks there's another woodpecker in the area. We did that and it went away.