PDA

View Full Version : Getting started in a Trade (Electrician)

CapnCrunch
04-10-2012, 09:52 AM
My nephew recently finished high school and seems to be pretty sure he wants to start a career as an electrician. He has no experience in construction, but has worked a few odd jobs here and there.

I'm trying to help him get started and I thought he should begin by trying to get work doing some sort of general labour type work in the construction industry. This way, he can decide if:
1. He actually likes the work
2. He's actually capable of doing the work.

The other option is taking one of the pre-apprenticeship programs and trying to go that way.

What do you guys think is best for him to do at this point?

FraserB
04-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Pre-apprenticeship at SAIT is a joke.

Best bet is to get on with an electrical outfit at the bottom and if he likes it, go from there.

Off the top of my head, ABB and Concept. Enmax might also have openings.

Electrical seems fun, if I wasn't already done school and working I would be a sparky.

Nufy
04-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Get him to decide of he wants residential, commercial or Industrial...

So...

Houses, Strip malls or Gas Plants.....

I think the money is better from left to right as well.....

Things are busy right now.

If he has a good attitude he can be very busy for a while...even as a grunt 1st year.

CapnCrunch
04-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Pre-apprenticeship at SAIT is a joke.

Best bet is to get on with an electrical outfit at the bottom and if he likes it, go from there.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I don't know anything about the SAIT program, but I'd think he'd get a better idea of what the job is all about if he can start working on job sites right away.

CapnCrunch
04-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Nufy
Get him to decide of he wants residential, commercial or Industrial...

I'm not even sure if he knows what he wants to do yet. I'd like him to try it first before he decides to specialize in something, lol. He's got plenty of time to figure it out.

Nufy
04-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Fair enough but It will affect which companies to look at for jobs...

msommers
04-10-2012, 04:03 PM
You can't really try all the different fields and then pick one to go with. You pick one and if you don't like it you try another one, at a different company.

In terms of pay Industrial>Commercial>Residential

Industrial he doesn't need to work out of town but will likely end up there. In town you could work in a panel shop or a skidyard. Companies I know of are:

- Pyramid
- Flint
- Sabre

Commerical/Res I'm not sure.

sevewone
04-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Tell him to apply at Canem, Flint or Trotter. They are all commercial but usually get the bigger contracts. One thing he should know is that if he starts on the commercial side he could be bending conduit for years where as residential is more hands on. Only downside is residential can be slow at times and commercial almost always guarantees at least 40 hours.

danno
04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I would start in residential if I could. My company Is hiring tons right now, pm me if you want the info. I'm commercial but have done it all, best place to end up is commercial long term as it is guarenteed work, and you get to learn the most overall.

mark4091
04-10-2012, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't be so keen to go residential. It really depends on how far you want to take the trade. One day I might be wiring a service for a cellular site, the next day I might be doing a commercial renovation, or in a welding shop working on a sandblaster etc..... I like the diversity, but then again starting out you he may end up digging for a year anyways lol.

I would say commercial is the best starting place.

OU812
04-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Try the big ones,

Western
Trotter
Custom

HuMz
04-14-2012, 10:00 AM
I have been in the trade for 7 years now and things have changed quite a bit since I got in. Before you were able to just go out and apply everywhere and the pre-employment program was a waste of money. Now from talking to alot of the first years entering the trade it seems as though the pre-employment really helps you to get your foot in the door.

Journeyman Rates are as follows $33-36 for residential, $35-41 for commercial, and $40-45 for industrial.

As for some of the big projects, Canem lost the second penny lane tower which was awarded to Western, Western also has a big Target warehouse north of the city. Trottier is winding down at the hospital but also has a bunch of work at the airport. And right now at Canem it sounds like were all banking on a city of calgary maintence contract to transfer some of the workforce once the SAIT job is finished this summer.

There is also the new 1.3 billion enmax plant that is just starting which will probably have quite a bit of overtime which won't be completed until 2015. Its union though so he would have to be indentured before he signed up with the hall.

From my POV, its a great trade to start early on until you figure out what you wanna do, its nice making 60-80 grand a year while all your friends are stuck in school raking up student loans. But I can't imagine anyone having a good sucessful career if there still pulling wire at 40 years old. And starting your own company is much easier said than done.

Ideally you want to start with a little bit of resdential, than branch out into the commercial and industrial side of things. Big jobs tend to get extremely repetitive where your stuck doing the same thing everyday.

SAIT also offers electrical engineering technology catered to journeyman electricians which I am currently just starting. The first year is primary online at your own pace and you also get credited and have the challange option for alot of the classes. The 2nd year is all full-time though.

PD77
04-14-2012, 10:13 AM
The key is to stay long enough with a company to move through the ranks and get yourself off the tools and into a better position. I spent the first 5 years of my career jumping around and it was't until I actually put in my time somewhere that good things started to happen for me.

Some pretty good info in this thread, it sounds like there are lots of opportunities out there for someone looking to get into the trade right now.

PS- If anyone knows any electricians with industrial experience (rig experience would be even better but it's trainable) let me know...we have a few spots open!

msommers
04-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Industrial rate is going at 45/hr now?! Fuck maybe I should have stayed an electrician!

HuMz
04-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Yeah well the Clac rate is still a bit lower at 41 I believe, IBEW rate is 45.