PDA

View Full Version : Fat Loss Diet Help

A790
04-10-2012, 11:06 AM
So I want to run a long-term fat-loss diet and am having a had time sorting out my macros. I hear a lot of the 40/40/20 (F/P/C) rule and wanted to know if anyone here has had success following that.

My meal plan today looks like this:

Protein Shake for breakfast (8oz orange juice, 1 medium banana, 5 strawberries, 2 scoops vanilla whey) . (510 cals, 10g fat, 65g carbs, 52g protein)

2 whole eggs, 4 slices of bacon (285 cals, 21g fat, 1g carb, 20g protein)

7 oz chicken breast w/ broccoli (450 cals, 16g fat, 13g carbs, 63g protein)

Protein shake w/ water (280 cals, 10g fat, 2g carbs, 54g protein)

Apsaragus, broccoli, 1 tbsp olive oil, 10oz pork for dinner (970 cals, 63g fat, 6g carbs, 75g protein)

Grapefruit for snack (110 cals, 0.5g fat, 27g carbs, 2g protein)

Day looks like this overall: appx 2,550 cals, 113g fat, 117g carbs, 261g protein. This works out to 40% fat, 42% protein, 18% carbs.

My estimated BMR is 3,300 cals with three gym days and two cardio days included. This should set me up for 1.5lb of weight lost per week.

Anyone have any thoughts? My goal is to maintain as much muscle mass as possible and cut fat.

shadowz
04-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Good thread, I've been trying to lean towards more Paleo in regards to my diet

Breakfast 1.5 scoops of whey with water, spinach and half cup of blueberries

chicken breast/Brocolli/2 small red skin potatos

Whey with water

chicken breast/brocolli again

Tilapia/brocolli

Dinner Chicken breast and brocolli

I've been following this sunday-friday I typically let loose on Saturdays, but I've also found with more olympic style lifts that is has been netting better results

Darkane
04-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by shadowz
Good thread, I've been trying to lean towards more Paleo in regards to my diet

Breakfast 1.5 scoops of whey with water, spinach and half cup of blueberries

chicken breast/Brocolli/2 small red skin potatos

Whey with water

chicken breast/brocolli again

Tilapia/brocolli

Dinner Chicken breast and brocolli

I've been following this sunday-friday I typically let loose on Saturdays, but I've also found with more olympic style lifts that is has been netting better results

Olympic lifts are awesome for Metabolic activity.

Curious why no red meat?

Darkane
04-10-2012, 11:23 AM
My diet these days: (Won't give exact amounts as I'm being trained by John Meadows right now)

Workout day:

1) eggs, avocado

2) Lean white meat, Green veg

3) Pre workout - White fish, potatoes, Surge workout fuel

4) During - Casein hydrosylate

5) PWO 1: Isolate shake with water, Kiwi

6 PWO 2: Rice, honey, Lean red meat.

Non Workout day:

1) Eggs, avocado, greek yogurt, berries

2) red meat, green veg, potato

3) white meat, green veg potato

4) shake with water, potato

5) red meat, salad with veg, olive oil/balsamic, brown rice.

That's it. SUPER clean, Dairy/Gluten/Sugar free! Aside from the greek yogurt.. Not really counted as dairy however.

Redlined_8000
04-10-2012, 11:28 AM
That diet isnt bad A790... Maybe cut out the OJ and add more fresh fruit. But really it shouldn't effect your results too much at all....

And ya +1 on the Paleo. Ive found for my body its the best I can do for body composition as a long term diet/lifestyle.

shadowz
04-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

Olympic lifts are awesome for Metabolic activity.

Curious why no red meat?

Gout has been the biggest reason (runs in the family and I got it when I was 16) every once and a while I will have some ground beef and steak but it sucks to have a attack and not be able to be active.

A790
04-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
That diet isnt bad A790... Maybe cut out the OJ and add more fresh fruit. But really it shouldn't effect your results too much at all....

And ya +1 on the Paleo. Ive found for my body its the best I can do for body composition as a long term diet/lifestyle.
Any examples of a paleo meal plan out there?

shadowz
04-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by A790

Any examples of a paleo meal plan out there?

Just been reading online for some but I will be picking up this book on the weekend if you would like to borrow it from me when I'm done

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Paleo-Diet-Healthy-Designed/dp/0471267554

Redlined_8000
04-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Couple reads on Paleo

http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/built1.htm
part 2
http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/built2.htm

Basically only eat what a caveman could eat.

Aside from the OJ, you are pretty much doing Paleo right now. Whey is sometimes not considered Paleo but it is fine IMO However meat takes more calories to break down and digests longer.
But in the long run that will not effect you to a large degree. You can run that diet you posted and get some decent results IMO

Darkane
04-10-2012, 01:34 PM

Gout has been the biggest reason (runs in the family and I got it when I was 16) every once and a while I will have some ground beef and steak but it sucks to have a attack and not be able to be active.

Try: In no particular order -

Grass fed beef, if possible grass fed AND finished beef

Elk
Bison
Venison
Lamb
Horse - Not sure if it's legal in Alberta or not.

Also are you sure it's ONLY the beef that gives you gout? What else do you eat with the meal.

Try going to the famers market and getting some good grass fed beef and try it. Chances are this would be the only kind of beef you could handle if any.

The rest of the reds are quite easy to digest because of the low fat content. Lamb might flare you up.

shadowz
04-10-2012, 02:59 PM

Try: In no particular order -

Grass fed beef, if possible grass fed AND finished beef

Elk
Bison
Venison
Lamb
Horse - Not sure if it's legal in Alberta or not.

Also are you sure it's ONLY the beef that gives you gout? What else do you eat with the meal.

Try going to the famers market and getting some good grass fed beef and try it. Chances are this would be the only kind of beef you could handle if any.

The rest of the reds are quite easy to digest because of the low fat content. Lamb might flare you up.

I'll give it a shot, ya I've isolated attacks to red meat, fruit juices, and ham (took a while but I did narrow it down)

Since I quit drinking fruit juices I have not had a attack in over a year. But I will give your other recommendations a shot

CompletelyNumb
04-10-2012, 04:29 PM
I know a man with gout and he says the same thing about red meat.

A790: that diet looks solid to me. Personally I'd swap the bacon for something healthier but that's just preference. I'd even consider dropping the OJ and adding in half a cup of whole oats into your protein shake.

Which meal is your post work out?

lellowrx7
04-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Try swapping the bacon out to turkey bacon, it's really not that terrible.
I'd try and go with more complex carbs in the morning vs the fruits. You don't want to overload with sugar (all be it natural) in the morning.
Complex carbs take longer to break down anyway so they'll leave you feeling full for longer. These can include Oats (add to protein shake), and most whole grain foods. (the one time a 12 grain bagel isn't atrocious for you ;) )
Another tip, your eating 6 meals a day which is good, but the sizes could use some work.
6 equalized meals a day is a lot better than 6 meals a day with 3 big and 3 small. It's harder to get used to at first but if you persevere your body will adapt and it will become natural.
Protein is good for the body, but proteins like whey break down fast. They're for pre work out, post work out or to keep your muscles stimulated. In other words you've gotta work to burn off the protein or it can turn to fat.
I don't know what you do for a living but as long as you get psychical activity it should be fine.
One type of protein to look up would be casein protein. Really good for a before bedtime snack.
It can last up to 8 hours before being totally absorbed and is really good for helping muscules regenerate over night.

Marsh
04-10-2012, 07:53 PM
My diet these days: (Won't give exact amounts as I'm being trained by John Meadows right now)

Workout day:

1) eggs, avocado

2) Lean white meat, Green veg

3) Pre workout - White fish, potatoes, Surge workout fuel

4) During - Casein hydrosylate

5) PWO 1: Isolate shake with water, Kiwi

6 PWO 2: Rice, honey, Lean red meat.

Non Workout day:

1) Eggs, avocado, greek yogurt, berries

2) red meat, green veg, potato

3) white meat, green veg potato

4) shake with water, potato

5) red meat, salad with veg, olive oil/balsamic, brown rice.

That's it. SUPER clean, Dairy/Gluten/Sugar free! Aside from the greek yogurt.. Not really counted as dairy however.

Just curious, why do you not consume any dairy?

A790
04-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

A790: that diet looks solid to me. Personally I'd swap the bacon for something healthier but that's just preference. I'd even consider dropping the OJ and adding in half a cup of whole oats into your protein shake.

Post workout meal is water and protein whey, followed by dinner (aspargus, broccoli, protein source) about 60 mins later.

Turkey bacon isn't an option as I have my cafeteria at work make the eggs/bacon, and they don't have turkey bacon.

Originally posted by lellowrx7
I'd try and go with more complex carbs in the morning vs the fruits. You don't want to overload with sugar (all be it natural) in the morning.
Complex carbs take longer to break down anyway so they'll leave you feeling full for longer. These can include Oats (add to protein shake), and most whole grain foods. (the one time a 12 grain bagel isn't atrocious for you ;) )
Another tip, your eating 6 meals a day which is good, but the sizes could use some work.
6 equalized meals a day is a lot better than 6 meals a day with 3 big and 3 small. It's harder to get used to at first but if you persevere your body will adapt and it will become natural.
Protein is good for the body, but proteins like whey break down fast. They're for pre work out, post work out or to keep your muscles stimulated. In other words you've gotta work to burn off the protein or it can turn to fat.
I don't know what you do for a living but as long as you get psychical activity it should be fine.
One type of protein to look up would be casein protein. Really good for a before bedtime snack.
It can last up to 8 hours before being totally absorbed and is really good for helping muscules regenerate over night.
My job is very sedentary. However, I do heavy weights 3 times per week, a mild/moderate cardio 2 times per week on different days.

A790
04-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

Post workout meal is water and protein whey, followed by dinner (aspargus, broccoli, protein source) about 60 mins later.

Turkey bacon isn't an option as I have my cafeteria at work make the eggs/bacon, and they don't have turkey bacon.

Originally posted by lellowrx7
My job is very sedentary. However, I do heavy weights 3 times per week, a mild/moderate cardio 2 times per week on different days.

elite
04-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Looks good but personally I'd cut out the grapefruit before bedtime and switch it to some cottage cheese (I know its gross but i just take a couple of spoonfuls and man through it). This way your body is getting protein through the night. Curious what is your lbm? You are getting more then enough protein (1g per lbm min) so don't see you losing any muscle mass.

I've been on a fat loss diet for a bit now and I pretty much completely cut out the sugar (ill have a glass of lemonade with a cheat meal though). I dont see any problems with the amount you have though.

Drink at east a gallon of water per day and dont forget your multi's and omegas (fish oils/flax seed oil).

Dont forget to refeed!

Increase your calories (re-feed) for a full day periodically (once a week or so if you are heavy, twice a week if you are already lean), to restimulate metabolism. On the higher calorie day, take your calories to maintenance or even 10, 15, 20% above maintenance and add the extra calories in the form of carbs (carb cycling). The leaner you get, and the longer you've been on reduced calories, the more important the re-feeds will be.

Lastly I'd recommend mixing some power lifting into your workout (if you dont currently). I dont know the science behind it (maybe somone can chime in) but it seems to be extremely helpful. I just do rack pulls twice a week (with my back workouts and leg workouts)

A790
04-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Okay, going to try to change things up a bit.

Breakfast:
6 oz orange juice + banana + 5 strawberries + 1/3 cup of whole grain oats + 2 scoops vanilla whey. 481 cals, 16g fat, 74.1g carbs, 50g protein.

Snack:
2 whole eggs w/ 4 slices of bacon. 285 cals, 22g fat, 1g carb, 20g protein.

Lunch:
7oz chicken breast, broccoli, carrots. 467 cals, 16g fat, 16g carb, 60g protein

Snack:
Protein shake w/ water. 280 cals, 15g fat, 1g carb, 50g protein

Post workout:
Protein shake w/ water + 1 grapefruit. 300 cals, 15g fat, 27g carb, 52g protein.

Dinner:
8oz chicken breast w/ broccoli and asparagus + 1 tbsp olive oil. 640 cals, 34g fat, 10g carb, 67g protein.

Approximate total: 2,575 cals, 89g fat, 136g carb, 295g protein.

Today is also squat day :D

Macros are 48P/31F/20C.

Dumbass17
04-11-2012, 09:12 PM
man that sounds like a lot of food

me:

7am, protein shake
8am, small handful of oats, half sliced banana and hot water
10am, carrot
12pm, spinach/chicken breast wrap
2pm, small handful of almonds
4pm, apple
6pm, gym followed by protein shake
730pm, one egg with slice of salmon.

trimming up pretty nicely on this :)

A790
04-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
man that sounds like a lot of food

me:

7am, protein shake
8am, small handful of oats, half sliced banana and hot water
10am, carrot
12pm, spinach/chicken breast wrap
2pm, small handful of almonds
4pm, apple
6pm, gym followed by protein shake
730pm, one egg with slice of salmon.

trimming up pretty nicely on this :)
Yea, but there isn't enough protein in there for me.

Dumbass17
04-12-2012, 08:25 PM

Yea, but there isn't enough protein in there for me.

more shakes?
i forgot to mention i have a shake with milk before bed

CUG
04-12-2012, 11:25 PM

That's pretty much my same post-workout. I'm in the gym (except for these last two weeks) daily. Weights for 45 mins then an hour of cardio.

Oatmeal and egg whites in morning (I've moved from a tbsp of splenda brown sugar to a spoon of protein powder in the oatmeal and egg whites with some hot sauce in them.

Lunch is a pair of chicken breasts or some tuna

Pre-workout is a complx5 drink

Post workout is a protein shake, chicken breasts and asparagus/broccoli.

Sometimes I'll grab a tuna/chicken breast wrap with just lettuce and hot sauce on it mid day.

This is all fine and well, but the discipline to stay away from the shitty food is probably the hardest part for me anyhow.

scboss
04-12-2012, 11:43 PM
You guys are having way to many shakes

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1039/mealplan.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/mealplan.jpg/)

I train tons of people who have to lose weight and/or drop weight (mma/bodybuilding) and they are not taking 3 shakes a day. Such overkill, just eat food that is healthy with low calories and drink lots of water.

Also if your really serious do cardio 3x per week
one high intensity intervals(20min) and two at 65% of your max heart rate(1 hour)

CUG
04-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by warcaster
You guys are having way to many shakes

[img=http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1039/mealplan.th.jpg] (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/mealplan.jpg/)
I train tons of people who have to lose weight and/or drop weight (mma/bodybuilding) and they are not taking 3 shakes a day. Such overkill, just eat food that is healthy with low calories and drink lots of water. I agree that shakes aren't a substitute for meals at all. I also know that what I'm doing is getting me results I didn't think I would get this early into the program.

scboss
04-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by CUG
I agree that shakes aren't a substitute for meals at all. I also know that what I'm doing is getting me results I didn't think I would get this early into the program.

To each there own. From what ive personally seen you should try not to lose much over 2.5 pounds per week which is easy with a healthy food plan (unless your obese). If you do start losing more then 5 prepare for massive amounts of loose skin.

Btw doing an hour of cardio after weight training messes with your recovery hardcore. You will see way bigger gains if you do cardio/weight training at different times.

Darkane
04-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Marsh

Just curious, why do you not consume any dairy?

Cliff notes:

-Very few humans can actually digest dairy properly. Just because you're not lactose intolerant, doesn't mean you're not sensitive.

-Studies have shown milk to be Estrogenic in Males and DEVELOPING males - real bad stuff here.

-The sugar in milk (LactosE) is one of the poorest forms of glucose.

-We're the only species in our known world who consumes the milk of ANOTHER animal far beyond our infancy.

-Back to the sensitivty point, It releases Cortisol (stress hormone), keeps you bloated, Can cause Acne, Dry skin, Sinuses etc. It's a full blown allergen.

CUG
04-13-2012, 10:58 AM

Btw doing an hour of cardio after weight training messes with your recovery hardcore. You will see way bigger gains if you do cardio/weight training at different times. I've seen absolutely no problems with my recovery time at all. This was a prescribed method, also. I'll talk to our trainers and find out what the pedigree of it is and let you know (it's football stuff).

Darkane, I also noticed when I was consuming diary that I had a shitload of mucous build-up... not from my lungs, or anything, just lots of stuff I would cough up. I laid off it for a week and it didn't ever come back.

Darkane
04-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by CUG

Darkane, I also noticed when I was consuming diary that I had a shitload of mucous build-up... not from my lungs, or anything, just lots of stuff I would cough up. I laid off it for a week and it didn't ever come back.

That sounds right.

My Woman quit dairy (for the most part, 95%) and she's never been better.

Tip for the guys: Get your woman off of Gluten and Dairy, and her PMS Symptoms will be WAAAAAY better. No lie.

sputnik
04-13-2012, 01:04 PM

Cliff notes:

-Very few humans can actually digest dairy properly. Just because you're not lactose intolerant, doesn't mean you're not sensitive.

-Studies have shown milk to be Estrogenic in Males and DEVELOPING males - real bad stuff here.

-We're the only species in our known world who consumes the milk of ANOTHER animal far beyond our infancy.

-Back to the sensitivty point, It releases Cortisol (stress hormone), keeps you bloated, Can cause Acne, Dry skin, Sinuses etc. It's a full blown allergen.

Show me a medical journal with proof and clinical studies that back up those claims.

Not just some detox/cleanse/diet/homoepath/naturopath blog selling pills of herbal remedies and alternative healing.

A790
04-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Meal plan for today:

Breakfast smoothie (600 cals, 8.2g fat, 79.1g carb, 55g prot)

2 eggs, 3 bacon slices (256 cals, 19.8g fat, 1.1g carb, 18.1g prot)

Donair (584 cals, 15g fat, 72g carb, 39g prot)

Protein shake (280 cals, 6g fat, 2g carb, 54g prot)

8oz chicken breast, 5 asparagus, olive oil, broccoli (678 cals, 34g fat, 18.6g carb, 75.5g prot)

Protein shake (280 cals, 6g fat, 2g carb, 54g prot)

So.... in total: 2,678 cals, 89g fat, 174.8g carb, 295g prot).

Not too bad...

Mibz
04-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Just posting so I get a dot :P

Darkane
04-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Show me a medical journal with proof and clinical studies that back up those claims.

Not just some detox/cleanse/diet/homoepath/naturopath blog selling pills of herbal remedies and alternative healing.

Not going to clutter A790's thread man. Believe it or not I could give a shit lol.

I'm not gonna spoon feed you abstracts (and yes I have more than a few - Search Dairy, Pregnolone, progesterone, Estradiol).

Not a Journal but a little article maybe help you along.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/12.07/11-dairy.html

Sorry A790, I got off topic in your thread.

msommers
04-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Sorry to OT but Darkane, if you have the articles handy, could you post em, PM or email them? Really interested in reading more on that.

I was lactose intolerant for awhile and recently I've been able to consume dairyagain. Even now I don't consume much dairy at all, it's really only when cheese comes on things that I order at a restaurant or a cream/milk-based sauce. Still the subject interests me.

I know you've spoken about reducing/eliminating gluten. So much food I enjoy has gluten in it though so I'd like to know the big benefits you're seeing or expect to see from eliminating it from your diet.

Marsh
04-13-2012, 05:13 PM

Cliff notes:

Wow, I had heard something similar from a nurse before, but didnt think too much of it. Thanks man, I will look more into this.

Sorry for thread hijack, carry on A790:)

CUG
04-13-2012, 06:22 PM
A790, you ever think of running a calorie deficit? It fucks with your mood something fierce, but if you have no one to impress, it's actually quite the ride :P

CompletelyNumb
04-14-2012, 06:51 PM
His last meal plan he posted is still in deficit to his BMR. Not huge, but enough for weight loss.

A790
04-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by CUG
A790, you ever think of running a calorie deficit? It fucks with your mood something fierce, but if you have no one to impress, it's actually quite the ride :P
I'm running a 350-500 calorie/day deficit on average :)

Mibz
04-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by elite
Increase your calories (re-feed) for a full day periodically (once a week or so if you are heavy, twice a week if you are already lean), to restimulate metabolism. On the higher calorie day, take your calories to maintenance or even 10, 15, 20% above maintenance and add the extra calories in the form of carbs (carb cycling). The leaner you get, and the longer you've been on reduced calories, the more important the re-feeds will be. Just wondering how important this is. I'm reading a lot of conflicting info on cheat meals. Some say keep them as healthy as possible, others say go nuts.

elite
04-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Just wondering how important this is. I'm reading a lot of conflicting info on cheat meals. Some say keep them as healthy as possible, others say go nuts.

I would say it is pretty important. Doesn't have to be every week but I would recommend every few weeks.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark60.htm

CUG
04-24-2012, 06:57 PM
I don't do cheat meals. What a ridiculous proposition. The very nature of it indicates that the subject is likely addicted to sugar and high-calorie garbage; would you let a recovering heroin addict take a sunday hit?

What do you have to lose by keeping a "cheat" meal healthy as possible? We want results, it will come in the form of discipline and the pain that is the fatasses habits leaving your body.

nismodrifter
04-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by CUG
I don't do cheat meals. What a ridiculous proposition. The very nature of it indicates that the subject is likely addicted to sugar and high-calorie garbage; would you let a recovering heroin addict take a sunday hit?

What do you have to lose by keeping a "cheat" meal healthy as possible? We want results, it will come in the form of discipline and the pain that is the fatasses habits leaving your body.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwvivnW4Qs1qjaur4.jpg

Many factors at play here. Body habitus, current BMI, how long you have been in a deficit, etc etc.

Cheat meal once a week. Is it going to kill your gains/losses? Hell no.

~Leah~
04-25-2012, 11:55 AM
I feel like you are still intaking too much fat if your main goal is fat loss. You aren't eating super clean (i.e. bacon, donairs, etc) so it is definitely slowing down your progress. Not saying you won't see it, but there are cleaner options that will help you get there faster...

EDIT: Then again... I'm kind of a nazi asshole to my clients, but I hear no complaints when we are talking about progress. If they aren't going to be accountable to their goals when they aren't training with me (i.e. coming to the gym on our off days, eating properly, etc), then I've pretty much told them straight up they are wasting my time, and theirs.

Between 3 of my clients, they have lost a combined total of 45 lbs of fat, and gained a combined total of 24 lbs of lean muscle (2 guys and 1 girl) since mid February. I attribute a huge portion of that to making them accountable to eating CLEAN, training MEAN, and living LEAN :)

scboss
05-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
I feel like you are still intaking too much fat if your main goal is fat loss. You aren't eating super clean (i.e. bacon, donairs, etc) so it is definitely slowing down your progress. Not saying you won't see it, but there are cleaner options that will help you get there faster...

EDIT: Then again... I'm kind of a nazi asshole to my clients, but I hear no complaints when we are talking about progress. If they aren't going to be accountable to their goals when they aren't training with me (i.e. coming to the gym on our off days, eating properly, etc), then I've pretty much told them straight up they are wasting my time, and theirs.

Between 3 of my clients, they have lost a combined total of 45 lbs of fat, and gained a combined total of 24 lbs of lean muscle (2 guys and 1 girl) since mid February. I attribute a huge portion of that to making them accountable to eating CLEAN, training MEAN, and living LEAN :)

The problem i see here is when you say "get there faster". Dont get me wrong eating clean all the time will get people sick results and that is awesome, but my problem is how long until they crash and shit hits the fan? I have never made any of my clients go on a diet period (except for the Bodybuilders and MMA fighters). Diets never last forever and I can guarantee you that 99% of the time once you stop training your clients they will start eating like shit

You must build your clients up so that they just make healthy choices on no set plan. That way they can sustain it later. Whens the last time you saw someone that did a diet for more then 6 months? (that wasnt in competition)

CapnCrunch
05-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

Many factors at play here. Body habitus, current BMI, how long you have been in a deficit, etc etc.

Cheat meal once a week. Is it going to kill your gains/losses? Hell no.

Fuck, I lost 50lbs with an entire cheat day a weak. And I'm not taking about putting some mayo on my chicken breast. This was full on gorging. It was disgusting. It was more a mental thing than anything.

People get so critical if somebody does something different.

~Leah~
05-01-2012, 05:29 PM

The problem i see here is when you say "get there faster". Dont get me wrong eating clean all the time will get people sick results and that is awesome, but my problem is how long until they crash and shit hits the fan? I have never made any of my clients go on a diet period (except for the Bodybuilders and MMA fighters). Diets never last forever and I can guarantee you that 99% of the time once you stop training your clients they will start eating like shit

You must build your clients up so that they just make healthy choices on no set plan. That way they can sustain it later. Whens the last time you saw someone that did a diet for more then 6 months? (that wasnt in competition)

I had to re-read my post just in case, but you will notice I never once said the word "diet" in my reply. I educate my clients about a healthy lifestyle change. In my opinion, they don't just pay me to help them work out properly, it is my job to ensure they get the results they want, and this means LIFESTYLE. My clients get a cheat day if they want it. Most of them choose not to because it makes them feel super shitty after. They, and I, attribute this to the healthy lifestyle changes and choices they have learned to make.

This education starts by going to the grocery store with them for one of the sessions if they so wish. A couple thought they were eating healthy, but they were just eating convenient, which meant low GI, high sodium foods. And another client thought wings were healthy because they are "chicken". They get a reality check when I show them nutritional content of the foods they are eating. But once our sessions are up, they at least have the knowledge to continue to do the right thing on their own.

I'm sure that a lot of the time, if I stop training someone, they will fall off the wagon. That comes down to motivation and accountability though, not "diet". And that's also where I make more money; they need me in order to continue that lifestyle, I sell more training, they see the results they want, it's a win/win situation really. All of my clients buy enough sessions to train with me 3x/week for 50 weeks.

I feel like your last paragraph was a little preachy... just FYI, I have been a personal trainer for 7 years and I have my Kinesiology degree and numerous cert's and success stories under my belt. Plus, all of us trainers have our own ways of doing things.

ANNNNND sorry to hijack your thread Cam :) How's it coming along?

A790
05-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Here are my macros today:

http://i.imgur.com/o0b1q.png

And my consumption. I cheated a little bit and had 2 oz of baked macaroni and 1 perogy:

http://i.imgur.com/UjFfU.png

~Leah~
05-01-2012, 07:47 PM
That looks like Fit Day. Used to use that a lot! Have you tried myfitnesspal?

scboss
05-01-2012, 08:24 PM

I had to re-read my post just in case, but you will notice I never once said the word "diet" in my reply. I educate my clients about a healthy lifestyle change. In my opinion, they don't just pay me to help them work out properly, it is my job to ensure they get the results they want, and this means LIFESTYLE. My clients get a cheat day if they want it. Most of them choose not to because it makes them feel super shitty after. They, and I, attribute this to the healthy lifestyle changes and choices they have learned to make.

This education starts by going to the grocery store with them for one of the sessions if they so wish. A couple thought they were eating healthy, but they were just eating convenient, which meant low GI, high sodium foods. And another client thought wings were healthy because they are "chicken". They get a reality check when I show them nutritional content of the foods they are eating. But once our sessions are up, they at least have the knowledge to continue to do the right thing on their own.

I'm sure that a lot of the time, if I stop training someone, they will fall off the wagon. That comes down to motivation and accountability though, not "diet". And that's also where I make more money; they need me in order to continue that lifestyle, I sell more training, they see the results they want, it's a win/win situation really. All of my clients buy enough sessions to train with me 3x/week for 50 weeks.

I feel like your last paragraph was a little preachy... just FYI, I have been a personal trainer for 7 years and I have my Kinesiology degree and numerous cert's and success stories under my belt. Plus, all of us trainers have our own ways of doing things.

ANNNNND sorry to hijack your thread Cam :) How's it coming along?

Didnt mean to sound preachy at all just my opinion. The fact that "cheat meal" comes up to me means diet lol. Like you said each trainer is different and each way works.

Man if I sold 150 sessions at once they would have to drop 10 500 haha. You must have some baller clients :)

JAYMEZ
05-01-2012, 08:29 PM
You guys have some strange diets going on lol.

Hows everyones training going? I am currently training for the WBFF in July .. Have been training for a year now .

And I quickly read though some of this . Cheat meals are good once a week.. Shocks the body and doesnt do much damage . I will be doing a cheat day up until my show in July :thumbsup:

Everyone keep up the good work!

Darkane
05-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ

Hows everyones training going? I am currently training for the WBFF in July .. Have been training for a year now .

And I quickly read though some of this . Cheat meals are good once a week.. Shocks the body and doesnt do much damage . I will be doing a cheat day up until my show in July :thumbsup:

Fitness or BB?

scboss
05-01-2012, 10:22 PM

Lmk if you need help with a layout for your carb/water depletion in the last 2 weeks. Im training two body builders and one fitness model that have it down pact.

You guys are doing awesome sticking to your food plan. I had to do the same thing when training for fights. Food for fuel and nothing else. Keep it up!

Btw I hope you guys have before/after pics?

JAYMEZ
05-01-2012, 11:13 PM

Fitness or BB?

Probably Muscle.. Possible fitness.. Right now I am 220 , need to get down to 205 and 4-5 BF

Lmk if you need help with a layout for your carb/water depletion in the last 2 weeks. Im training two body builders and one fitness model that have it down pact.

You guys are doing awesome sticking to your food plan. I had to do the same thing when training for fights. Food for fuel and nothing else. Keep it up!

Btw I hope you guys have before/after pics?

Thanks for the offer.. Been training with Nathan Harewood for the past year at athlete factory , as well as my work out buds are WBFF Pro Bree Lind / Wbff pro Nicci Lee , Wbff Pro Claire Rae ... got it down to a T =)

scboss
05-01-2012, 11:16 PM

Probably Muscle.. Possible fitness.. Right now I am 220 , need to get down to 205 and 4-5 BF

Thanks for the offer.. Been training with Nathan Harewood for the past year at athlete factory , as well as my work out buds are WBFF Pro Bree Lind / Wbff pro Nicci Lee , Wbff Pro Claire Rae ... got it down to a T =)

Oh yeah I forgot you mentioned that in the other thread. Nathan was actually on of the first graduates from the mount royal personal training program I took. He came in as a guest speaker for one of my classes last year. You my friend are in excellent hands.

Sorry for the thread Hijack!

~Leah~
05-02-2012, 01:30 PM

Didnt mean to sound preachy at all just my opinion. The fact that "cheat meal" comes up to me means diet lol. Like you said each trainer is different and each way works.

Man if I sold 150 sessions at once they would have to drop 10 500 haha. You must have some baller clients :)

Cheat meal means they can eat what they want instead of the lean healthy choices they make every other day, that's all. My clients are pretty baller, yes (half are millionaires... I wish lol). But my sessions are only $75 each, not $100. And they are allowed to finance for free so it's not bad for them!

natejj
05-07-2012, 01:09 PM
What are your guys thoughts on the following foods while trying to lose fat? I'm trying to go healthy, but hard to say no to my favorite foods.

Eggs- I know egg whites are great, but I don't enjoy egg whites nearly as much as I enjoy cracking 2 eggs and frying in a little bit of butter for breakfast. If I had 6 eggs a week, would that be too many?

Sweet Potato Fries - Usually have these as a snack at work, a serving is roughly 250 grams. I find they fill me up, but are also pretty high in carbs/sugar. Anyone else have these?

Lean Ground Beef - Love Taco Night, and making my own hamburgers. I can only buy the generic stuff at the super market, where I live, only 2 stores in town.

Potatoes- Just as filler, I find no mater how much brocolli or carrots I eat, I will be hungry 30 minutes to an hour later unless I get some starch.

Bacon - Usually only once a week, on Saturday morning, 3-4 strips.

I'm not sure what I'm asking actually, I'm trying to justify these foods in my fat loss diet basically lol, what are your guys thoughts on the above foods? I'm sure if I cut them out I'd lose fat even quicker, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my happiness. I've got 6 months before my wedding, so I'm in no rush either.

Darkane
05-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by natejj
What are your guys thoughts on the following foods while trying to lose fat? I'm trying to go healthy, but hard to say no to my favorite foods.

Eggs- I know egg whites are great, but I don't enjoy egg whites nearly as much as I enjoy cracking 2 eggs and frying in a little bit of butter for breakfast. If I had 6 eggs a week, would that be too many?

Sweet Potato Fries - Usually have these as a snack at work, a serving is roughly 250 grams. I find they fill me up, but are also pretty high in carbs/sugar. Anyone else have these?

Lean Ground Beef - Love Taco Night, and making my own hamburgers. I can only buy the generic stuff at the super market, where I live, only 2 stores in town.

Potatoes- Just as filler, I find no mater how much brocolli or carrots I eat, I will be hungry 30 minutes to an hour later unless I get some starch.

Bacon - Usually only once a week, on Saturday morning, 3-4 strips.

I'm not sure what I'm asking actually, I'm trying to justify these foods in my fat loss diet basically lol, what are your guys thoughts on the above foods? I'm sure if I cut them out I'd lose fat even quicker, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my happiness. I've got 6 months before my wedding, so I'm in no rush either.

Eggs been a fitness, muscle, athletic, WELL BEING food since the creation of time. Eat them, as many as possible. DO recent research on eggs, not bad like once thought.

I do 4 everyday fried with coconut oil. (Had up to 10/day for 6 months. Did before and after cholesterol numbers. Minor change, cholesterol is almost entirely dependent on genetics.

Sweet potatoes: one, if not THE best carb source. Have them BAKED, not fried. 250g serving is about 9oz. Def higher carbs, have them post workout if possible. Or split them into two meals.

Buy Extra Lean ground beef. Lean is ok, but all the "bad stuff" is caught in the fat of the meat. Leaner the better. Using Tortilla shells and burger buns is counter productive. Use the beef to make meat sauce for rice noodles, chili, Burger patties Sans buns.

Potatoes are ok, sweet being the better option. Rice is excellent too.

Bacon no issues. Eat good 6 days/wk and take 1 day to eat 'ok'. That will be the day you cheat once or twice and satisfy weekly cravings.

natejj
05-08-2012, 08:46 AM

Eggs been a fitness, muscle, athletic, WELL BEING food since the creation of time. Eat them, as many as possible. DO recent research on eggs, not bad like once thought.

I do 4 everyday fried with coconut oil. (Had up to 10/day for 6 months. Did before and after cholesterol numbers. Minor change, cholesterol is almost entirely dependent on genetics.

Sweet potatoes: one, if not THE best carb source. Have them BAKED, not fried. 250g serving is about 9oz. Def higher carbs, have them post workout if possible. Or split them into two meals.

Buy Extra Lean ground beef. Lean is ok, but all the "bad stuff" is caught in the fat of the meat. Leaner the better. Using Tortilla shells and burger buns is counter productive. Use the beef to make meat sauce for rice noodles, chili, Burger patties Sans buns.

Potatoes are ok, sweet being the better option. Rice is excellent too.

Bacon no issues. Eat good 6 days/wk and take 1 day to eat 'ok'. That will be the day you cheat once or twice and satisfy weekly cravings.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I just can't stomach a protein shake first thing in the morning, so I will go back to my eggs.

Yeah I bake my sweet potato fries in the oven, usually before a bike ride or a workout.

Thanks for the advice....

duaner
05-08-2012, 10:00 AM
I've lost 10-15 lbs (scale is quite inaccurate) in the last 4-6 weeks just by cutting down on overall calories. I don't even eat as clean as I could or nearly as clean as most are suggesting in this thread.

I just keep myself slightly hungry all day and take in a few extra carbs before I workout. It's like that prof that lost weight eating Twinkies, although I do eat much more healthy than Twinkies (can't say for sure that I've ever had a Twinkie). To lose weight burn more calories than you take in.

A790
05-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by duaner
I've lost 10-15 lbs (scale is quite inaccurate) in the last 4-6 weeks just by cutting down on overall calories. I don't even eat as clean as I could or nearly as clean as most are suggesting in this thread.

I just keep myself slightly hungry all day and take in a few extra carbs before I workout. It's like that prof that lost weight eating Twinkies, although I do eat much more healthy than Twinkies (can't say for sure that I've ever had a Twinkie). To lose weight burn more calories than you take in.
We're talking about fat loss, not weight loss...

shadowz
05-08-2012, 10:05 AM

We're talking about fat loss, not weight loss...

That's what I was about to say, sounds you are withering away slowly. Also you should never be hungry, or allow yourself to be hungry, having a small meal every 3 hours or so will combat that as well ramp up your metabolism

natejj
05-08-2012, 10:08 AM

That's what I was about to say, sounds you are withering away slowly. Also you should never be hungry, or allow yourself to be hungry, having a small meal every 3 hours or so will combat that as well ramp up your metabolism

I need to find more Go-To foods when I get the hunger pangs. Right now it's carrots and water, but I can only stomach so many carrots in a day. I'm considering Almonds, but they are salty as heck. Any other suggestions? Trying to avoid cheese and milk.

duaner
05-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by natejj

I need to find more Go-To foods when I get the hunger pangs. Right now it's carrots and water, but I can only stomach so many carrots in a day. I'm considering Almonds, but they are salty as heck. Any other suggestions? Trying to avoid cheese and milk.
Almonds aren't naturally salted, just so you know. ;) My morning snack is usually a salted, roasted nut mix I get from Community Natural Foods. The mix has almonds, cashews, pecans, Brazil nuts and filberts. Comes in unsalted as well and both are $2.19/100g. Although it's cheaper than mixes from Safeway, cheaper yet would be nice. I suppose I'm eating less overall and saving money that way anyway.

You can also get natural (not roasted) nuts but they're a little pricier and you'd have to make your own mix, if that was what you wanted.

I stopped milk for a week and noticed zero difference so I am drinking it again, although just a fraction of what I used to.

CUG
05-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

Cheat meal once a week. Is it going to kill your gains/losses? Hell no. you're right, you are dealing with a badass over here. Like I said, cheat days are stupid. If you're a food addict who downs cake in large quantities, I'd need to hear sound reasoning behind do why they should be allowed to engage in that behavior for a day.

If you're a coat rack with a bit of a spare tire, cheat away..

Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Fuck, I lost 50lbs with an entire cheat day a weak. And I'm not taking about putting some mayo on my chicken breast. This was full on gorging. It was disgusting. It was more a mental thing than anything.

People get so critical if somebody does something different. no, you probably would have lost more without being a piglet though.

I maintain that someone trying to to lose weight and starting out should tread lightly around shifty foods. It's hardly worth the possible setbacks.

JAYMEZ
05-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by CUG
you're right, you are dealing with a badass over here. Like I said, cheat days are stupid. If you're a food addict who downs cake in large quantities, I'd need to hear sound reasoning behind do why they should be allowed to engage in that behavior for a day.

If you're a coat rack with a bit of a spare tire, cheat away..
no, you probably would have lost more without being a piglet though.

I maintain that someone trying to to lose weight and starting out should tread lightly around shifty foods. It's hardly worth the possible setbacks.

How the hell are cheat days stupid? Are you kidding me? I have one every 2 weeks. My Pro fitness friends have one.. I have talked to Phil Heath and he has them.. Where do you get this from? 1 meal out of all of them , is not going to do a damn thing. I could seriously list of IFBB Pros , NPC Pros , WBFF Pros who all have a cheat meal..

CUG
06-03-2012, 10:15 PM

How the hell are cheat days stupid? Are you kidding me? I have one every 2 weeks. My Pro fitness friends have one.. I have talked to Phil Heath and he has them.. Where do you get this from? 1 meal out of all of them , is not going to do a damn thing. I could seriously list of IFBB Pros , NPC Pros , WBFF Pros who all have a cheat meal.. shit, must mean sugar/carb addicts who would probably relapse into their previous habits should try it?

I'm not talking about the coat racks who have a beer gut...I'm talking about fat or formerly fat motherfuckers. I've even said that in this thread. Where do I get it from? Academically validated information on addictive food consumption habits. Edit: I was pretty fat.

belly72
08-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

ay fitness
11-25-2012, 03:14 PM
god luck, and i supose to do this information

1/Sleep properly: when you sleep, you burn fat. So get that 8 hours. It’s good for you and for your weight.

2/Don’t drink beer: yeah, uh, this should be pretty obvious. I do vodka, which is all sugar, but it’s less calories and carbs and all that useless crap your body doesn’t need. Also beer means consuming way too much liquid late in the evening, which is just silly in the first place.