PDA

View Full Version : Should I pull the trigger on this trade?

soccernut
04-10-2012, 03:49 PM
I have a 2000 Tundra A/C Limited with the V8 4.7 Engine. I already have another 4x4 (FJ Cruiser) and don't really feel like that need for two of them.

I love the Tundra but I hate the terrible MPG's on both trucks.

I am looking to trade my Tundra for a 1998 Lexus GS300. I am thinking it would be more practical to DD to work and back (1 hour total commute) and the MPG would be better.

I have no issues driving a RWD in the winter. I can allways take the FJ when it is really bad.

The Tundra is on 440K km and the GS is on 229K. Straight swap. I keep reading good things about the GS.

What do you think? Fair deal? would you do it? any reasons not to get the GS?

max_boost
04-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Seems very reasonable!?

Masked Bandit
04-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Assuming that the Lexus doesn't have any significant mechanical issues at the moment I would say go for it.

JRSC00LUDE
04-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Yeah, see how the maintenance was/is, get a good inspection and go! I don't see how it's a bad plan.

ercchry
04-10-2012, 03:57 PM
the gs is probably worth around $7k, it will be a much nicer commuter than the truck. its just as bulletproof... but also half the miles... i'd do it.

JZS_147
04-10-2012, 04:07 PM
I'd do it.

Be sure to check:
-front upper control arms
-front lower ball joints
-caster arm bushings
-rear toe arm bushing (knuckle)
-p/s system (pressure lines, pump feed)
-rust (top of windshield, rear quarters, doors where the belt moulding bolts up, interior of trunk where the rear bumper bolts up to the rear quarter)
-if it has vibrations at speed check the hubs for runout

Those are common issues on the GS

Or...just make sure someone knowledgeable with these cars checks it out before you go ahead with the trade.