PDA

View Full Version : New York

davidI
04-12-2012, 08:08 PM
It looks pretty shitty out my window at the moment so I'm booking flights to New York for 5 days / 6 nights departing tomorrow. Never been there before and I keep hearing it's a great city.

I'm going to stay with a Canadian gal I know living in Manhattan in West Chelsea. Any recommendations for 'must sees' or 'must dos'?

l/l/rX
04-13-2012, 03:36 AM
mermaid oyster bar in soho! soo good! you will not regret the food they serve.
Balthazar Restaurant & Bakery really good! spring street natural if you can't get a reso at balthazar, it's just down the street.

new york is the best city i've been to and i've traveled a lot. ever since my nyc trip i've been rooting for all the nyc teams haha.

MOMA is dope, i love modern art, donno what your taste is like though, but radio city, saks on fifth, empire state, central park, Rockefeller center and a lot of many other main attractions are walking distance from MOMA.

I found upper east side was quite dull, only thing there is higher class restaurants and julliard ballet arts school.

Soho is dope for hip, younger clothing. Check out Flight Deck for shoes if you're into all that nike gear. Basketball shoes, limited edition nikes etc and a wide selection of hats.

I found NYC people were super friendly when it came to directions and what not and I was there at the busiest time of the year.

There's also a food stand on 52nd W and 6 st with really popular brown(?) food.

have fun! im heading back there for my 2nd time in less than a year.

Godfuader
04-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
There's also a food stand on 52nd W and 6 st with really popular brown(?) food.

53x6 Halal Cart. The quality has diminished over the years but the novelty exists. Make sure you stand in the long line directly across the Hilton and it is after 8pm for the true effect.

Asides from that, there are countless threads on NY which would more than fill six days. Center your trip around food. NY is most likely the highest concentration of the best food on the planet. Most important advice: Comfy Walking Shoes!

Any specific info...ask away :)

davidI
04-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader

Asides from that, there are countless threads on NY which would more than fill six days.

Actually, my search for 'New York' and 'NYC' only brought up this thread - http://forums.beyond.ca/st/348253/nyc/ - wherein people basically said search and find countless threads on NYC lol.

I'm pretty stoked at the area my friend lives so hopefully I can see quite a bit.

My hit list at the moment is Liberty Island, Central Park, Times Square, Natural History Museum, Wall Street, and Highline Park.

I may check out MOMO, 30 Rock, Empire State, Ground Zero and the Intrepid museum too.

Sounds like the best way to enjoy New York, like most cities, is to just get immersed though.

Are there any 'must-sees' outside of Manhattan?

BigShow
04-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Since your staying in Chelsea, take your gal to the Darby for dinner/entertainment! checkout Bowlmor in Times Sq., lockdown some Rangers playoff tickets. If the weather is nice take a ride on the Staten Island ferry. As mentioned above, eat the fooood -but not in Times Sq. that shit is all commercialized bs like bubba gump and other miserable chains. Also in Chelsea/Meat packing dist. eat at the Diner if your hungry late at night - this place is happening! tons of locals, dj's, serious eye candy.

Lots of great threads on NYC to search around.

BigShow
04-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by davidI

Do your midtown, uptown, downtown. Checkout Brooklyn. Get the 1wk subway pass and ride around...see a broadway show or even an 'off broadway' show.

max_boost
04-13-2012, 11:25 AM
You SEE and DO that girl you are staying with. She would probably know the best places to hit up haha

davidI
04-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
You SEE and DO that girl you are staying with. She would probably know the best places to hit up haha

Haha, yea, definitely hoping to 'do' that part of New York. She's relatively new to NY though so may not know much herself - she just finished articling at the Supreme Court of Canada and landed some high roller white collar criminal gig there so she'll probably be looking for some stress relief. :poosie:

I also met a hot bi-sexual Porto Rican in Malaysia who lives in Manhattan so I'm hoping I can make a play date for the 3 of us
:poosie: :poosie:

Godfuader
04-13-2012, 03:42 PM

Actually, my search for 'New York' and 'NYC' only brought up this thread - http://forums.beyond.ca/st/348253/nyc/ - wherein people basically said search and find countless threads on NYC lol.

I'm pretty stoked at the area my friend lives so hopefully I can see quite a bit.

My hit list at the moment is Liberty Island, Central Park, Times Square, Natural History Museum, Wall Street, and Highline Park.

I may check out MOMO, 30 Rock, Empire State, Ground Zero and the Intrepid museum too.

Sounds like the best way to enjoy New York, like most cities, is to just get immersed though.

First thing to do is to grab a week subway pass. Stare at the map for 5 mins each morning to devise a game plan.

Bring a SmartPhone. Free wifi everywhere.

Walk down 5th ave from 59th to the Rock can take you a couple hours if you enjoy shopping and sightseeing.

Dedicated a day to the park. With the weather this good, there will be a ton of stuff to see and do. Rent a bike for two hours and do the loop.

For food use Yelp. You should get slapped if you step into a chain restaurant. If its a hole in the wall and yelp gave it 4+ stars, it means excellent.

Nothing on Liberty Island. You are better off taking the Free Staten Island ferry right before sunset to get the best view of the statue and the downtown skyline on the way back.

Ground Zero is a tourist trap. Pull on your heart and purse strings. The new tower looks really nice though. It's in the same area as NYSE, Wall St, etc. so worth the walk.

Museums are all great. Most offer free admission once a week.

Highline is great but can get crowded during sunset.

Take a walk across Brooklyn Bridge (30 mins) and head to Grimaldis for some A+ pizza. Bring a friend cuz you have to buy the whole pie.

Broadway: Pick your flavor, you won't be disappointed.

Enjoy SoHo and Village in the evenings for jazz bars, comedy clubs, good eats, pubs, and general socializing.

davidI
04-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Excellent, thank you! Hopefully this will become the new searchable 'New York' thread on Beyond!

dangleberries
04-14-2012, 12:41 AM
Comfy Walking Shoes! That's #2 to a multipocket beige vest on the idiot-apparel list, especially in a cosmopolitan place like NYC. My advice...don't dress like you're on a safari or going to run a marathon. It's not like you need to walk any more than usual. Cabs are cheap manggg.

not trying to shit on godfauder, just trying to save you from looking like an idiot.

davidI
04-14-2012, 03:18 AM
Well, after a few too many pints in the Maple Leaf Lounge I dropped a bunch of Benjamin's on tickets for Game 2 at the garden. Should guarantee I'm not sleeping on the couch this week :bigpimp:

davidI
04-14-2012, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by dangleberries

just trying to save you from looking like an idiot.

Can't save me from that! I flip flops for life!

Godfuader
04-14-2012, 11:12 AM
That's #2 to a multipocket beige vest on the idiot-apparel list, especially in a cosmopolitan place like NYC. My advice...don't dress like you're on a safari or going to run a marathon. It's not like you need to walk any more than usual. Cabs are cheap manggg.

not trying to shit on godfauder, just trying to save you from looking like an idiot.
He is coming to check out the city, not to get discovered by America's Next Top Model. Comfy shoes don't translate to the Retirement Home Collection. All my shoes including dress shoes are rubber soled making them comfy as well. In this city you do walk around a lot especially as a tourist. Cabs are just to get from point A to B.

dangleberries
04-14-2012, 06:29 PM

He is coming to check out the city, not to get discovered by America's Next Top Model. Comfy shoes don't translate to the Retirement Home Collection. All my shoes including dress shoes are rubber soled making them comfy as well. In this city you do walk around a lot especially as a tourist. Cabs are just to get from point A to B. i said i wasnt shittin on a nigga so why u actin the foo rockin your crocs like air force ones??

Xtrema
04-14-2012, 07:43 PM
That's #2 to a multipocket beige vest on the idiot-apparel list, especially in a cosmopolitan place like NYC.

It's not a bad idea for someone new to NYC and wants to walk it and experience it.

Cabs are boring.

Godfuader
04-14-2012, 10:33 PM
i said i wasnt shittin on a nigga so why u actin the foo rockin your crocs like air force ones??
I wasn't shittin on you for not shittin on me, brah. Just thought you had been watchin too many reruns of Sex and the City, diva! :D

Originally posted by Xtrema
Cabs are boring.
Cabs can be exhilarating as well...if you make it. I took a cab when I was tourist in 2006 and it was :eek:. Went from upper east side, 55 x park (Ferrari showroom) to Penn station 34 x 8. Running late for a train, so hopped in a cab. Said it should be 15mins and ~$10. I told him that my train leaves in 15, so if he shaves off a couple mins I'll tip him well. We got there in 8mins!! He actually overtook an ambulance, and hit curbs twice. Paid him $20 and proceeded to change my pants. :rofl:

dangleberries
04-15-2012, 10:21 PM
then might i also recommend a fanny pack and carrying a nalgene bottle around too.

Xtrema
04-15-2012, 11:30 PM

Cabs can be exhilarating as well...if you make it. I took a cab when I was tourist in 2006 and it was :eek:. Went from upper east side, 55 x park (Ferrari showroom) to Penn station 34 x 8. Running late for a train, so hopped in a cab. Said it should be 15mins and ~$10. I told him that my train leaves in 15, so if he shaves off a couple mins I'll tip him well. We got there in 8mins!! He actually overtook an ambulance, and hit curbs twice. Paid him $20 and proceeded to change my pants. :rofl:

Lol. Btw, how far is Queens to midtown? Probably going to rent a condo for a week this time.

davidI
04-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Just thought I'd quickly check in with an update.

It has been awesome so far. Train from Newark Airport to Penn Station is easy - $12.50.

It has been beautiful here so spent most of Saturday at Central Park and quickly checked out Times Square before going to the Rangers Playoff Game 2. The seats I ended up getting were in Row 12 so it was pretty epic. It's definitely not as loud an atmosphere as Calgary, but they have some really cool tradition things like 'dancing Larry' and the 'potvin sucks' cheer. There was a die hard Rangers fan sitting next to us, who was wicked cool, but most of the other fans were idiots and didn't understand hockey much. My first night in town and after the game I was relegated to an air mattress by my hostess, so I was pretty pissed about that. Apparently she's still getting over an ex or something.

Good news is Sunday morning she crawled in bed with me so it's game on there now. Air mattress is gone and the real fun has begun. We went to Brooklyn yesterday for brunch at a place called "Eggs". It was pretty good food, but the line-up was insane. One of the Yelp reviews said "If you don't pass out from the wait, it's a wonderful experience". We put our name on the list early and then walked around watching all of the crazy hipsters so that was all right.

We were then lucky enough to get reservations at Please Don't Tell. PDT is sort of a gimmicky thing but pretty cool nonetheless. To make reservations, you have to call at 3pm exactly and keep calling back if the number is busy. Then you show up at this hot dog joint at your reservation time and go into a phone booth in the restaurant. When you're in the booth, you start dialing and suddenly the wall of the booth opens and there is a hidden bar that you get into. Inside isn't all that, but it's cool nonetheless. We then went to a bar called Cafe Wha? - most amazing live band I have ever heard. Back in the day lots of famous artists played there, including Bob Dylan and Hendrix, so there's a lot of history too. Pretty cool experience.

Pretty wicked city so far!

Godfuader
04-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Lol. Btw, how far is Queens to midtown? Probably going to rent a condo for a week this time.
Queens is quite large. As long as you are on a subway line halfway into Queens, it should be about 30mins to the city, and 45mins to Times Square/34th Street.

01RedDX
04-16-2012, 11:36 AM

dangleberries
04-16-2012, 10:49 PM
after the game I was relegated to an air mattress by my hostess, told you not to cheap on shoes...

JordanEG6
04-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned.

Check out Ninja Sushi, it's awesome!

From my experience, you don't really need a cab, but it's nice once in awhile. I used the Subway almost everyday. And I also liked walking in NYC, so it wasn't too bad. I walked from MSG to the Met Museum (hella far, but I didn't mind)

You could also rent bikes in Central Park and ride that for a day, which is kinda fun on a Sunday or something. I also enjoyed walking around NoHo and SoHo. I'm a huge sneaker enthusiast, so this was my favorite place for shopping.

Comedy Cellar, as 01RedDX mentioned, is a great place if you're a fan of stand up. You can catch a bunch of famous/semi-famous Boston/NY-style comics from time to time.

You can also try the Manhatten and BK tour bus. You get a 3-4 day pass and the tour also doubles as transportation as you can hop on and off the bus whenever you like, as opposed to Public Tans Subway/Bus/Cab.

And you gotta try Grimaldi's Pizza in BK. Best pizza ever. They only sell by the pie, not slice though, but worth it.

davidI
04-19-2012, 09:05 PM
told you not to cheap on shoes...

Don't worry, the rest of the nights were great :poosie:

Hit a Yankees game last night. Baseball isn't really my sport but it was still fun.

Checked out the Natural History Museum and USS Intrepid as well. I've seen a lot of museums similar to the Natural History one so it wasn't all that impressive to me, but the USS Intrepid was pretty neat.

All-in-all, NYC was a pleasant surprise and a place I will definitely return to, and would even consider living in! :thumbsup:

Godfuader
04-19-2012, 10:43 PM
would even consider living in! :thumbsup:
Its a great place to live before settling down for family life. Been here 2.5 yrs and still no where near done checking out all the city has to offer.

JordanEG6
04-19-2012, 11:00 PM

Its a great place to live before settling down for family life. Been here 2.5 yrs and still no where near done checking out all the city has to offer.

What does NYC offer in terms of living? Cost of life? Quality? Kind of jobs?

I'm curious, I would consider living there as well for a little bit, but I doubt I'd find anything in O&G. Haha.

Godfuader
04-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

What does NYC offer in terms of living? Cost of life? Quality? Kind of jobs?

I'm curious, I would consider living there as well for a little bit, but I doubt I'd find anything in O&G. Haha.

Cost of living is quite high. Studio in a decent area is around $2100, 1br is around $2700. Of course this can vary significantly with location and borough. The quality of life is good if you don't have very high demands. It is a busy city with a lot of things happening. There can never be a dull moment. It can be as hectic or chill as you want it to be. The onlyl adjustment is that you cannot drive everywhere. All excursions have to be according to a subway schedule or paying for cabs.

Jobs: NY is the financial capital of the planet. Almost all industries have ties to NY. For O&G you will companies that trade, companies that need expertise, basically the white collar for O&G at the highest level will be here. Keep in mind that NJ has a lot of companies that may require your skill set.

flipstah
04-25-2012, 12:12 PM
I was wondering when I should buy flights + hotel if I'm planning to go during Sept. long weekend?

msommers
04-22-2015, 05:25 PM
Have been doing a lot of googling on things to do and see.

But what's the cheapest way to get from La Guardia to Manhattan (Manhattan Club specifically)? Public transit? Assuming I can use the week-long metro pass for this service?

Also for anyone wondering, you can buy City Pass on airmiles for 1025 miles. Considering the exchange rate and the price (~$140 CDN) it works out pretty well.

Also, I'm pretty keen on a couple things. Book of Mormon and a Yankees game. We're there middle of August. GF is saying there are cheap-ticket booths around town that we can pick up for BoM but it seems very popular and I don't wanna miss it. Is this something that commonly sells out? Likewise for a Yankees game, is it best to book in advance or while we're there? Both of which we don't need amazing seats for.

kaput
04-22-2015, 05:51 PM

taemo
04-28-2015, 09:53 AM
LaGuardia to Manhattan is around $35-40 IIRC.
my plan when we go there next is to take a cab to the nearest Metro station (Astoria-Ditmars Blvd N,Q), buy a weekly metro card and take the subway from there.
There's a N,Q,R stop on 57st - 7ave right where Manhattan Club is, 8th stop from Astoria Ditmars Blvd.

I bought my BoM tickets 2 weeks ago for May 8 showing, it was $199 per person (about 260cad) and it was still pretty decent seats (blue box on the picture), expect $300+ for the middle/premium seats
http://s9.postimg.org/5vr2gr5a7/image.png
my buddy told me that there's an option for stand in at the door, cheaper but you'll have to stand at the back of the wall.
if you really want to see the show, I wouldn't risk it and buy the ticket in advance, but if you're flexible then go to the booth

edit: hey matt, if you go to this one, let me know how it is.
bummed that it won't be open until end of May
https://oneworldobservatory.com/

taemo
05-13-2015, 01:00 PM
Here's some stuff that I remember from our trip over the weekend.

The 7 days metro card is $32, get it if you plan on taking the subway/bus more than 4 times a day (you will), a single ride is $2.75 so you'll break even after 11.

I don't know if you can buy the MTA cards at the airport but you can take the following buses that will drop you to the a subway stop (about $15 taxi ride plus tip)
M60 to Astoria Blvd
Q70 to Woodside
Q72 to Junction Blvd
Q48 to Flushing Main St.

I think Astoria Ditmars Blvd is the cheapest taxi route, then hop on the N or Q train that will drop you off right on 57st-7th ave.

We booked a 3 hours bike tour in Central Park from here (http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g60763-d3476301-Reviews-Central_Park_Tours_Bike_Rentals-New_York_City_New_York.html), it was $18 per person and still felt it wasn't enough time. I would go 4-5 hours next time. Basket and locks are included with the cost.

Top of the Rock IMO has the better view compared to ESB, a single pass is $30 and it can take 15-30min to get to the top due to line and security check
I find the best time to go is one hour before sunset, that way you can enjoy the view in both daylight and night. Also once you get to the top, keep going straight to the escalator and then stairs, better more open view up top without glasses. tripod is not allowed unless you have tiny ones (bought one on B&H but then returned it the next day since I didn't like it
:rofl: )

I enjoyed chilling in Bryants Park and there was a free photography exhibition at the NY Public Library where I saw some of Ansel Adams print

B&H is 2 blocks from Madison Square Garden

We went for some beer and sausage at Radegast Hall & Biergarten (http://www.yelp.ca/biz/radegast-hall-and-biergarten-brooklyn) and it was awesome, gets pretty packed after 7pm, pretty awesome sausage and sauerkraut and ended up chatting 2 photographers in there.

For awesome BBQ our local buddy told us about Arrogant Swine (http://arrogantswine.com/) but unfortunately they are closed on Mondays

Cool neighborhoods outside of Manhattan that we visited and enjoyed were Williamsburg, Dumbo and Woodside (Filipino town in NYC)

BTW I don't recall when you're going to NYC in August again but you can get to the crown of the Statue of Liberty starting end of August
http://www.statuecruises.com/choose_tickets.aspx

infiniti.
12-15-2016, 10:25 AM
Bump

Heading there in Feb, any must eat places?

hurrdurr
12-15-2016, 10:55 AM
Here's a couple for you:

Fuku - Fried Chicken Sandwich
Ippudoo - Ramen
Joe's Pizza - quick/inexspensive slice
Katz Deli - Incredible Smoked Meat
Baohaus - Best Pork Belly Bao I've had
Artichoke Pizza - Interesting Pizza
Ainsworth - Mac & Cheese Burger
Ichicran in BK - Have only been in Japan but worth it
Di Fara in BK - Excellent
Halal Guys 53rd and 6 - Quintessential (easy on the red stuff)
Joe's Shanghai for XLB (haven't had but heard its incredible)

mrsingh
12-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by hurrdurr
Here's a couple for you:

Fuku - Fried Chicken Sandwich
Ippudoo - Ramen
Joe's Pizza - quick/inexspensive slice
Katz Deli - Incredible Smoked Meat
Baohaus - Best Pork Belly Bao I've had
Artichoke Pizza - Interesting Pizza
Ainsworth - Mac & Cheese Burger
Ichicran in BK - Have only been in Japan but worth it
Di Fara in BK - Excellent
Halal Guys 53rd and 6 - Quintessential (easy on the red stuff)
Joe's Shanghai for XLB (haven't had but heard its incredible)

Just found this thread, I am heading there tomorrow! Will look into these places.

D'z Nutz
12-15-2016, 11:47 AM
If you want pizza in New York, I'd check out NY Pizza Suprema across the street from MSG. It was so good, I ordered more slices of pizza I would not have otherwise tried anywhere else.

slick2404
12-16-2016, 12:19 AM
Here's a couple for you:

Katz Deli - Incredible Smoked Meat - SO GOOD. Make the trip.
Halal Guys 53rd and 6 - Quintessential (easy on the red stuff) - Take it real easy on the stuff haha.

JordanEG6
12-16-2016, 11:59 AM
Grimaldi's Pizza in Brooklyn. Long wait but worth it. They sell by the pie from what I remember.

bleu
12-17-2016, 07:13 AM
Joe's Pizza (Cheese) in Union Square and Prince Street Pizza (Sicilian square) are :drool:

Cafe Habana is delicious too. Try the corn!

Red@8
12-18-2016, 01:55 PM
Since moving here and trying dozens of pizza places my favs are (in order):

1. Don Antonios
2. Pauly G's
3. Adrienne's

None are the "ny style" foot long greasy cheese slices. But all of those above make a great pie.

hurrdurr
12-19-2016, 04:00 PM
Have you made you way into BK and braved the hour + long line at Di-fara?

Red@8
12-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Have you made you way into BK and braved the hour + long line at Di-fara?

No, not yet. I've done Lucali, and Robertas. All of which had 60+ min waits at any point I've ever checked. Lucali in particular is insane for wait times. Lucali and Roberta's were both good but not "wow I am glad I waited 2 hours". Which seems to be the case for a lot of NYC hyped places.

The three places I mentioned as my favs are also prone to long waits but at least I am in a postprandial state of bliss when I leave.

shakalaka
03-05-2017, 09:57 PM
Bump....

Contemplating of going over the April extra long weekend. Getting there Friday morning and back Monday afternoon. Never been there, so the top on the list is the main tourist things. Thinking of surprising the wife as it is on her bucket list to be there during Christmas, but we are always busy somewhere else around then. So even in April is better than nothing I guess.

First question, is that even enough time to spend there and be able to do all the things? What's the best place to stay at...area wise. Close to everything etc. We rather not public transport and will cab if I have to. But I like walking as I feel that's how you see the most at a place.

Finally, must do touristy things? Book in advance? Where from? When to? And all that. I guess I will drop the idea if the time we have isn't enough and may decide to just go to Montreal or something instead, but ideally would like to check out NY.

Thanks to all.

taemo
03-06-2017, 08:35 AM
A long weekend trip to NYC is enough to scratch most of the must see.

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island: if you want to cheap out take the ferry to Staten Island but IMO worth going at least once.. I've been 2x

One World Observatory: haven't been here as last time I was in NYC it wasn't open yet but it's on my to do list

Top of the Rock: go one hour before sunset that way you get to see Lower Manhattan during day and night

Central Park: rent a bike for a couple of hours and ride around the park

Times Square: cool to see during the day and night, optional but I would also go watch a play

Grand Central Terminal

Brooklyn Bridge: cross it from Manhattan to Brooklyn then have lunch in one of the pizza places in Brooklyn, our favorite is Grimaldi's

there are the museums too, I've done MOMA and Guggenheim.

For accommodations if you don't want to walk alot then stay around Mid Town.
I've stayed at the Gotham Hotel and Holiday Inn Fifth Ave but now I prefer staying in Queens for the experience of taking the Subway.
Either way, your should buy the 7 day unlimited metrocard as you'll be using it extensively around NYC.

max_boost
03-06-2017, 12:15 PM
I take those hop on hop off buses every city I go to :D

https://www.citysightseeingnewyork.com/new-york-citypass-all-around-town-72-hour-tour.html

jabjab
04-23-2017, 12:41 PM
I'm going at the start of June. There are many options for hop on hop off bus tours. Are these worth it over just getting a transit pass and exploring yourself?

There is also private on foot tours as well. Lots of options and not sure what is worth it or not

digi355
04-23-2017, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by jabjab
I'm going at the start of June. There are many options for hop on hop off bus tours. Are these worth it over just getting a transit pass and exploring yourself?

There is also private on foot tours as well. Lots of options and not sure what is worth it or not

Google maps and a metro pass is all you need. Don't bother with the hop on, hop off.

Manhattan
04-25-2017, 06:44 PM
What are the best places for single slice servings? Feel like NY pizza has been talked up so much that its bound to disappoint. I mean pizza always ranges from good to pretty good but I've never had a mind blowing slice.

BigShow
04-25-2017, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by digi355

Google maps and a metro pass is all you need. Don't bother with the hop on, hop off.

Exactly this.

max_boost
04-25-2017, 07:30 PM
Don't know about Pizza but my only must eat in NYC was the Halal Guys! http://53rdand6th.com/

New York City is really easy to get around so if the tour buses aren't your thing, just flag down a cab, subway, and just walk it!

bleu
04-25-2017, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
What are the best places for single slice servings? Feel like NY pizza has been talked up so much that its bound to disappoint. I mean pizza always ranges from good to pretty good but I've never had a mind blowing slice.

Joe's Pizza in Union Square and Prince St Pizza in Soho.

Super_Geo
04-26-2017, 01:47 AM
Find a way to get yourself a table at The Box... ideally on someone else's dime who can expense it.

Found this video online that kind of captures what it's like... only w/o all the bodily fluids (... all of them... for show, at least)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhdwQEASZUc

Manhattan
04-28-2017, 12:00 PM
What's the subway ride from Brooklyn (Bushwick to be exact) to Manhattan like? Huge difference in price of accommodation. Initially I was going to stay in hipster town but starting to think I should splurge for Manhattan to have quick access to many more train lines.

shakalaka
04-28-2017, 12:04 PM
We actually didn't end up going over the April long weekend as we had scheduled my wife's new vehicle delivery for then. It will be happening some time in the future, this thread will be searched and brought up again when the time comes. :D

taemo
04-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
What's the subway ride from Brooklyn (Bushwick to be exact) to Manhattan like? Huge difference in price of accommodation. Initially I was going to stay in hipster town but starting to think I should splurge for Manhattan to have quick access to many more train lines.

I see M, L and J line around Bushwick.
It's also very easy to change line in New York and IMO taking the subway and exploring is part of the fun of NYC.
We like staying in Queens or Brooklyn too and just take a 15min subway ride to Manhattan

jabjab
04-28-2017, 02:43 PM
Williamsburg is a nice area to stay in and if you get a good location it is literally a 5 min train ride to Manhattan

Manhattan
04-28-2017, 04:42 PM
I'm thinking of paying the premium to stay in Manhattan mostly so I can walk around the neighborhood after dinner without having to hop on a dirty train. I also like to take a quick power nap back at the hotel before going out at night. From google maps it seems to take at least 15 min train ride between Williamsburg and Manhattan.

TomcoPDR
11-22-2017, 09:25 PM
First time in NYC ever.

Too busy for my taste, but would prefer NYC than Toronto. If you have the time, I’d say go back to back T-dot to New York City, only 1 hour flight apart anyways.

Just did touch and go with tourist spots didn’t linger or bother waiting in line to take pics (ie. charging Bull)

Pretty much ate my way through did tons of pizza, I see where TNMT get their appetite from. $1 slices, $5-6 double slice cheese with soda. You can’t go hungry here. Did Momosan ramen (think it has something to do with an iron chef)

Yeah much prefer the melting pot effect of NYC (everyone tries to put in the effort to make things work, New Yorkers from my few days imo I've notice at least make an effort smiling and interact regardless of race, background)... compared to this new age (recent 10 years influx of crazy immigration into Canada); immigrants here (Toronto/East side of can at least) imo have no intentions to become apart of the community, head stuck within their own world forcing their ways to change the country.

Only using this example to express my traveling experience doing these two cities back to back, cause neither NYC Or dt Toronto, North York TO are white skin dominate compared with to where we (Beyonders/cgy) are from. In nyc, you can be a diff color To a stranger, but if you’re nice to em (ask directions, ask suggestions to eats in area, they see u eating solo they’ll offer a seat at their table etc)... in Toronto dt, North York. (Visit nov 2017), you could even be the same skin color but if you’re not speaking “their” dialogue (which imho should be purely English through out the board btw), they all got's their nose stuck up (Be it Chinese fobs, brown fobs, euro fobs, etc etc). Makes you wanna say bitch do you know who I am on beyond forums? I’m TomcoPDR, Rage2, etc and these are my adventures.

Man I actually miss home in the west. Can’t wait to go back to work in small towns Alberta (immediately after seeing TO and nyc; even cgy/edm are small towns lol). Hide in the work shops, hide in hotel room vip best western diamond select status.

https://image.ibb.co/icS8oR/80_F15_A94_0814_4_A33_B794_398366_CAB5_C5.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/gqCxhm/B5_C52_A2_A_7_DD2_4119_94_D4_5128_C5_FF101_D.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/eoH8oR/3_B2_D15_A2_1_A7_A_4_C1_A_B08_A_9858_A7_BBCF55.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/bNS8oR/C8_FBB420_AB9_E_4_D22_9205_A39_A6_DE7_FFF5.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/hnNV2m/C0623_AFB_CAEE_482_D_8348_2_F0_DCB72488_C.jpg

Xtrema
11-30-2017, 12:09 PM
Only using this example to express my traveling experience doing these two cities back to back, cause neither NYC Or dt Toronto, North York TO are white skin dominate compared with to where we (Beyonders/cgy) are from. In nyc, you can be a diff color To a stranger, but if you’re nice to em (ask directions, ask suggestions to eats in area, they see u eating solo they’ll offer a seat at their table etc)... in Toronto dt, North York. (Visit nov 2017), you could even be the same skin color but if you’re not speaking “their” dialogue (which imho should be purely English through out the board btw), they all got's their nose stuck up (Be it Chinese fobs, brown fobs, euro fobs, etc etc). Makes you wanna say bitch do you know who I am on beyond forums? I’m TomcoPDR, Rage2, etc and these are my adventures.

Melting pot vs multiculturalism.

Canada is the latter and you see the effect in Ontario.

US does a way better melting pot than Canada. But I have never visited the gulf states other than Florida. So I won't know.

89coupe
10-16-2018, 09:06 AM
Heading to New York in December, staying near Central Park, south end. Any popular destinations, things to do/see.

Any good restaurants?
Shows?
Landmarks?

max_boost
10-16-2018, 09:16 AM
Have an awesome time. :bigpimp:

msommers
10-16-2018, 09:21 AM
Print for dinner and a drink up at the top, loved that place.

nzwasp
10-16-2018, 09:24 AM
Enroll for the ticket lottery and go and see Hamilton on Broadway.

taemo
10-16-2018, 09:54 AM
The One Observatory, Top of the Rock view, climb inside the Statue of Liberty.
Rent a bike in Central park, just walk down 5th ave.

What cuisine are you looking on trying?
Grimaldi's on Brooklyn is our favourite pizza place.

89coupe
10-16-2018, 11:01 AM
The One Observatory, Top of the Rock view, climb inside the Statue of Liberty.
Rent a bike in Central park, just walk down 5th ave.

What cuisine are you looking on trying?
Grimaldi's on Brooklyn is our favourite pizza place.

We are staying here.
http://www.thequinhotel.com

Want to eat at some upscale restaurants.

Planning on eating at Nobu57 the first night.

Going for dim sum in the morning at this place http://nomwah.com

Would like a good Italian restaurant to try, also a good pizza place.

A Michelin star restaurant is on the list too, if there are any recommendations.

bleu
10-16-2018, 11:21 AM
Nom Wah is so good.
It’s not upscale though. The food is delicious and it’s a great experience. I eat there everytime I am in NYC.

Joe’s Pizza �� is our favourite. It’s off of Union next to Trader Joe’s.

Balthazar is popular for brunch and celeb sightings.

Carbone for upscale Italian.

hurrdurr
10-16-2018, 12:09 PM
Nom Wah is so good.
It’s not upscale though. The food is delicious and it’s a great experience. I eat there everytime I am in NYC.

Joe’s Pizza �� is our favourite. It’s off of Union next to Trader Joe’s.

Balthazar is popular for brunch and celeb sightings.

Carbone for upscale Italian.

Go to the original Joe's on Carmine - Believe it or not it's actually better. I

Pizza - Prince Street, Johns on Bleeker or the aforementioned Joe's (for a quick slice), If in Brooklyn - Difara and or Lucali.

Fuku for a Chicken Burger. Babbo for Italian.

Nom Wah is a fantastic suggestion

Buster
10-16-2018, 12:22 PM
Recent meals that stood out:

Tori Shin for yakitori. Sensational. I think it's got a Mich star.

Indian Accent. Also sensational. Best meal in ages.

TomcoPDR
10-16-2018, 12:23 PM
Any street pizza was great in nyc. $1-3 per slice including pop. I ain’t picky. I remember there was this place in one of the stations with photos with all them celebrities.

Super_Geo
10-16-2018, 12:42 PM
We are staying here.
http://www.thequinhotel.com

Want to eat at some upscale restaurants.

Planning on eating at Nobu57 the first night.

Going for dim sum in the morning at this place http://nomwah.com

Would like a good Italian restaurant to try, also a good pizza place.

A Michelin star restaurant is on the list too, if there are any recommendations.

Don't go to Nobu, it's for the tourists. Head to Sushi Yasuda, imo best value for good sushi, you can get out for around 200-250/person, less if you're not drinking, more if you're getting good sake, pretty standard 1 michelin cost.
Or see if you can get a spot at Masa... it will leave a real dent in the wallet (600/person + drinks), but it has 3 stars so that works out to about $200/star, not too bad :rofl:
https://www.sushiyasuda.com/information.html

Also, stroll around Nolita, there's so much good food on the cheap.

I'll be spending November in NY, what a city.

89coupe
10-16-2018, 01:03 PM
Don't go to Nobu, it's for the tourists. Head to Sushi Yasuda, imo best value for good sushi, you can get out for around 200-250/person, less if you're not drinking, more if you're getting good sake, pretty standard 1 michelin cost.
Or see if you can get a spot at Masa... it will leave a real dent in the wallet (600/person + drinks), but it has 3 stars so that works out to about $200/star, not too bad :rofl:

I looked at Masa’s, but $600/person to eat raw fish seemed a bit steep haha.

Nobu57 is literally a 5min walk from our hotel and the prices are reasonable.

Some great suggestions so far.

Do you guys feel the $500 price tag per person for Hamilton is worth it?

89coupe
10-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Any recommendations for a good comedy club?

Is it worth going to a nightclub, if so any recommendations?

RX_EVOLV
10-16-2018, 01:33 PM
Glad you bumped this thread. We just booked a trip to NY with the preggo wife in a month and staying right by Time Square. We don't have much planned yet except for hitting up the Giants game. Really on the fence with paying $500+/pp for Hamilton tickets..

RX_EVOLV
10-16-2018, 01:43 PM
What do you guys recommend for seats selection to catch the Giants game. Obviously closer to the 50 yard line the better, but I don't think it's worth $400USD+/pp for those seats.

Is it better to sit in the lower section end zone? or upper section closer to center?

trieu
10-16-2018, 10:17 PM

For another high end sushi recommendation, go to Sushi AMANE, one of the chefs who worked at Saito in Tokyo is the chef there. It was an amazing meal and was comparable to any starred sushi places in Tokyo that I’ve been to. Its $250/person.

JordanEG6
10-23-2018, 08:37 AM
Heading to New York in December, staying near Central Park, south end. Any popular destinations, things to do/see.

Any good restaurants?
Shows?
Landmarks?

Ninja New York

Not a high end sushi experience like some are suggesting, but if you want to go light and fun, it's a good time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il5snidcnHc&feature=youtu.be

Disoblige
10-23-2018, 11:46 AM
I looked at Masa’s, but $600/person to eat raw fish seemed a bit steep haha.
We have seen the limit for 89coupe!!!

killramos
10-23-2018, 12:10 PM
How far out are most decent broadway shows planned?

Booked a trip for February with the wife and another couple and the selection seems pretty scarce regardless of spend? Hoping a few more get added in because as it stands there are maybe 3 I would even consider.

black300
10-23-2018, 01:09 PM
How far out are most decent broadway shows planned?

Booked a trip for February with the wife and another couple and the selection seems pretty scarce regardless of spend? Hoping a few more get added in because as it stands there are maybe 3 I would even consider.

We went in December 2016 and purchased Broadway show tickets about 1.5 months in advance for Book of Mormon. It was fairly price, I think almost $280 CAD per person and the seats were the last ones. Cool experience, but I could have watched the same show for 50% less in another city. A double vodka with a souvenir cup was like $28 USD.

Make sure you eat & go if you want to save a few bucks.

89coupe
10-23-2018, 01:39 PM
We have seen the limit for 89coupe!!!

I’d rather try Kobe Beef at this place http://www.212steakhouse.com

Apparently it’s the only restaurant in New York allowed to serve it.

16hypen3sp
10-23-2018, 04:41 PM
We did the Lion King show on Broadway. It was pretty good. I'm not much for musicals/theatre plays but I'm glad we did it. Ellen's Stardust Diner is an interesting place to eat. Close to Times Square. It's a diner but there are musicals happening while you eat, and they happen around you, not really on a stage. Link to website is posted below. Very interesting atmosphere there. Never been to a place like that before.

http://ellensstardustdiner.com/

max_boost
10-23-2018, 08:48 PM
visit salt bae https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/1282012201894526/nusr-et-steakhouse-new-york/

killramos
10-23-2018, 09:05 PM
visit salt bae https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/1282012201894526/nusr-et-steakhouse-new-york/

If I wanted mediocre overpriced steak I would go to Caesers :rofl:

I love how that must be literally his only outfit now, could you imagine wearing exactly the same thing every day? lol

RX_EVOLV
10-24-2018, 07:49 AM

lol can't believe that's still a thing and people are still taking videos of it.

bjstare
10-24-2018, 08:50 AM
I love how that must be literally his only outfit now, could you imagine wearing exactly the same thing every day? lol

On a side note, I've been thinking about doing this for work clothes. White button down and black or grey slacks, 5 days a week. So simple.

killramos
10-24-2018, 08:55 AM
On a side note, I've been thinking about doing this for work clothes. White button down and black or grey slacks, 5 days a week. So simple.

I do something similar, it’s a good look. But they are all slightly different, try to throw in some light blue shirts and some textured grey pants.

/derail

rage2
10-24-2018, 09:29 AM
The one thing that Nobu lacks is consistency city to city. NY and Hong Kong were average, LA and Vegas were above average, while SFO and London were amazing.

RX_EVOLV
10-24-2018, 09:57 AM

This is actually what I do now and it drives by wife crazy. I work in a small office so I literately wear jeans and a black plain T-shirt to work everyday. Maybe grey once in a while. She hates it but so easy and Kit and Ace T-shirts are so comfortable.

max_boost
10-24-2018, 09:59 AM
This is actually what I do now and it drives by wife crazy. I work in a small office so I literately wear jeans and a black plain T-shirt to work everyday. Maybe grey once in a while. She hates it but so easy and Kit and Ace T-shirts are so comfortable.

Yes. That's what I do too. It's simple and it works and prevents decision fatigue on what to wear.

89coupe
10-24-2018, 10:43 AM
The one thing that Nobu lacks is consistency city to city. NY and Hong Kong were average, LA and Vegas were above average, while SFO and London were amazing.

Was told by some friends that you can just walk in off the street to Masa, so we may just do that to sample and drink a little sake. I’m curious to see if there is any noticeable difference. I have a feeling there won’t be.

Red@8
10-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Was told by some friends that you can just walk in off the street to Masa, so we may just do that to sample and drink a little sake. I’m curious to see if there is any noticeable difference. I have a feeling there won’t be.

Nobu and homestead both used to have Kobe and Wagyu. I never got a chance to try 212 before I moved.

You can walk in without a res to Masa? Wow, thats news to me. Great if its true!

Edit:

Someone mentioned Indian Accent which is in the Parker meridian I believe. Great Indian place and never gets a lot of hype. I'll second that place.

Since you are there in December try and check out all the windows on 5th as they'll all be done up for Christmas. The tree at Rock will be up.

I like Don Antonios for pizza that is close to you. They have a fried pizza which sounds disgusting but is amazing and hard to find most anywhere else.