PDA

View Full Version : Sold my car on eBay

AudiPWR
04-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Hey guys and gals, so I recently put my smashed up Audi S4 on ebay and it just sold. My requirements were a $1,500 deposit within 2 days and the full payment within a week. The car is a US car, still has a US title registed under my name in the state of Colorado. The fellow who bought the car is situated in New Jersey. I haven't yet spoken to the person but I was wondering what the ONLY ways I should receive payment in.
I've heard that they can reclaim money if they pay over paypal and other things.

Thanks for your help everyone.

AudiPWR
04-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Also, the car is currently in Calgary because I drove it up for the Christmas holidays and smashed it up then.

Jetta-2.0
04-12-2012, 09:37 PM
when u posted it up for sale did u state how u want the money?

seeing as how big the car will be to ship and what not the buyer might want to only way through paypal or by visa so he can be protected also

Thaco
04-12-2012, 09:40 PM
email money transfer, or western union, or moneygram, cant be reversed

black13
04-12-2012, 09:42 PM
oh man try not to go through paypal because I doubt the fee's would be reasonable. Try to see what percent they would charge for that.

Plus bank to bank would be more ideal since payment is much faster. All depends on the buyer though and what you stated in the ebay listing.

beyond_ban
04-12-2012, 09:50 PM
I have heard of fake certified checks being used to purchase big ticket items recently so i would be careful with that.

J-hop
04-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
email money transfer

^This, I'd say its the simplest and one of the safest way for a seller to receive money.

Team_Mclaren
04-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
email money transfer

No such thing in the states. Cant go oversea. Get him to wire you the money, also not reversible.

SilverGS
04-12-2012, 10:41 PM
E-mail money transfer has a 1k/day limit though

HiTempguy1
04-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS

Not that there is SUCH A THING in the US anyways, but it's actually $3k per transaction. I did $6k (2 transactions) within 2 minutes of each other from the same person, into the same accounts.

Zero102
04-13-2012, 07:05 AM
Whatever you do don't take PayPal, and if you do, transfer the money to your bank account immediately then remove your bank account from your paypal account.

lellowrx7
04-13-2012, 07:09 AM
PayPal is gay because they hold the money from you until the buyer receives the item and says its all good.

As stated above EMT would be the way to go

2Legit2Quit
04-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Americans don't have EMT FYI

GTS4tw
04-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

No such thing in the states. Cant go oversea. Get him to wire you the money, also not reversible.

Some banks in Canada don't offer it either, like mine. Makes it a pain in the ass when you want to avoid Paypal

ricosuave
04-13-2012, 07:32 AM
hilarious that you went through the process of listing and selling and are only now asking questions about payment. LOL

J-hop
04-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Delete

J-hop
04-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS

Definitely not 1k/day, I've sent 2500 in one transaction. The 3k could apply as mentioned I've just never checked.

Have you tried to send over 1k and it didn't work or something? Just wondering where you got that #.

AndyL
04-13-2012, 07:42 AM
http://www.interac.ca/consumers/faqs.php#eTransfer

Are there limits on the amount I can send or receive?
Like most other financial transactions, there are limits on the amount you can send and receive.
Each Financial Institution sets send and receive limits through online banking. Please contact your financial institution for more details.
If you are not using online banking to deposit a transfer, you can deposit a maximum of $1,000 per 24 hour period. This limit is in place to allow us to comply with government regulations. If this limit is a problem for you, consider banking online with one of our participating financial institutions, where the limit may be higher (and where depositing an Interac e-Transfer is free).

D'z Nutz
04-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by J-hop
Have you tried to send over 1k and it didn't work or something? Just wondering where you got that #.

I've tried sending over $1000 before and it rejected it as well, saying there was a $1000/day limit. Of course, this was a couple years ago, so I'm not sure if this restriction has changed.

J-hop
04-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Well I really dont know what to say, I use it to pay my rent every month which is over 1K and like i mentioned ive used it to send 2500 before.

Tik-Tok
04-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Well I really dont know what to say, I use it to pay my rent every month which is over 1K and like i mentioned ive used it to send 2500 before.

I think it depends on your institution, or possibly how your account is set up.

SilverGS
04-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Not that there is SUCH A THING in the US anyways, but it's actually $3k per transaction. I did $6k (2 transactions) within 2 minutes of each other from the same person, into the same accounts.

Definitely not 1k/day, I've sent 2500 in one transaction. The 3k could apply as mentioned I've just never checked.

I had someone pay me for something over $1k over e-mail money transfer and they couldn't. They had to wait until the next day and do the rest.

Maybe it's by institution or bank account type?

Hmm did not know US does not have EMT

J-hop
04-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I think it depends on your institution, or possibly how your account is set up.

Yea I just re read that interac posting, the 1k limit is for people who don't do it through their online banking or don't have an account at a participating bank and subsequently have to go trough the interac site not their account. If you use your online banking then I believe you are right, it depends on your institution and account.

I bank with TD and my landlord is with another major so I wonder if it's the smaller first Calgary type banks that limit you to 1k

Ah finally found it, TD limits:

Send:
Per transfer: 3,000
24hrs: 3,000
7 day: 10,000
30 day: 20,000

Recieving limit:
Per transfer: 10,000
24hrs: 10,000
7 day: 25,000
30 day: 50,000

Team_Mclaren
04-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Man you people are fucking blinded.... Let me quote it again:

Originally posted by AndyL
http://www.interac.ca/consumers/faqs.php#eTransfer

Are there limits on the amount I can send or receive?
Like most other financial transactions, there are limits on the amount you can send and receive.
Each Financial Institution sets send and receive limits through online banking. Please contact your financial institution for more details.
If you are not using online banking to deposit a transfer, you can deposit a maximum of $1,000 per 24 hour period. This limit is in place to allow us to comply with government regulations. If this limit is a problem for you, consider banking online with one of our participating financial institutions, where the limit may be higher (and where depositing an Interac e-Transfer is free).

garyb
04-13-2012, 03:08 PM
As far as i remember its not a limit per bank, its based on the person's limits. A brand new customer of a bank wont have limits as high as say someone who has been banking with the same bank for 25yrs and has a good relationship with them.

Release amounts are based solely on the individual, as well as sending/receiving 3rd party payements.

I worked at a major bank for 5 years, only 100% safe way to receive is Wire Transfer or they walk into your bank and deposit cash into your account. Drafts are considered guaranteed funds but it doesn't mean it hasn't been stolen or forged.

J-hop
04-13-2012, 03:09 PM
@team mclaren yes that 1k in the quote only applies if you dont use your online banking to complete it or have an account at a non participating bank (all the majors in Canada participate) and subsequently have to go directly through the interac service. If you use the interac etransfer service through your bank then you are limited based on institution not the 1k limit set on the interac site.... see my post above for TD limits.....

But anyways as someone mentioned which I misunderstood the first time, etransfer may not even exist in the US

@Garyb TD doesn't seem to limit based on account, those numbers I posted can be found on the general FAQ area and aren't specific to any account.

AudiPWR
04-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Well I got his reply back....

"Thanks for your swift respond,i really appreciate it,i am an NAVAL and am
currently on the sea at the moment, i am buying the item as a gift for my
dad,i want to make it a surprise gift for him,he won't know anything about
the gift until they get delivered to him.So i want you to reassure me that
the item is in good condition as you have described. I can only pay through
PayPal. So please kindly get back to immediately so i can proceed with the
payment and after the payment has been done,i have a pick up agent that will
come around to pick the Item up immediately after payments.......Please send
me a PayPal Money Request now so that i can make payment immediately.
Looking forward to hear from you soon
Thanks"

Made me sad because now I know it is a scam but at least I know how I will be asking for payment next time.

Thanks guys..

97luder
04-13-2012, 05:08 PM
make sure you report that buyer to ebay !! first time i seen that scam on ebay ( for me anyway)

AudiPWR
04-13-2012, 05:21 PM
He had a zero seller rating so I'm sure he would just reopen a new account.
Kind of a waste of time

Zero102
04-16-2012, 08:09 AM
And that's why you never allow 0 feedback buyers when you are selling something you care about. Also, put payment terms in your auction so you don't have to ask this after the auction next time, and just to make sure it gets said 1000x, DON'T TAKE PAYPAL on the car, even if the buyer is not obviously a scammer.

CapnCrunch
04-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by AudiPWR
i am an NAVAL and am
currently on the sea at the moment,

He still writes better English than 80% of the people on Beyond. :dunno:

JRSC00LUDE
04-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

i take afence to that.

msommers
04-16-2012, 09:24 AM
I had an almost identical email response from a Kijiji ad back when I was trying to sell my Infiniti. Ebay is getting worse and worse it seems.

clem24
04-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Man that sucks.. Funny how obvious is obvious when dealing with scammers - their English is always the same. It's almost like every scam email is written by ONE guy in Nigeria. Either that or they must offer some kind of scam school over there, or everyone reads the same "How to Scam for Dummies" book.

Anyhow, buying cross border, the ONLY way to do it is through a bank transfer (AKA "wiring the money"), done at the bank, with a deposit done by Paypal. When I bought my car in the US (from autotrader.com) I wired the guy the full amount, after I did my due diligence, then flew down to pick up the car.

J-hop
04-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Yea I seen this type of thing all the time. Specially with a cross the boarder dealins.

Prolly the OP should hit the breaks on this one.

FraserB
04-16-2012, 01:12 PM

Yea I seen this type of thing all the time. Specially with a cross the boarder dealins.

Thanks, I think that prior to your post the OP was on the way to ship the car. Good to know he won't now.:rolleyes:

Thaco
04-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Thanks, I think that prior to your post the OP was on the way to ship the car. Good to know he won't now.:rolleyes: probably had it loaded in the seacan and everything, J-hop saves the day!

CapnCrunch
04-16-2012, 03:45 PM

Your a wiser man then most, J-hop.

FraserB
04-16-2012, 04:05 PM

23 words, 8 errors.

New Beyond record?:facepalm:

J-hop
04-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

23 words, 8 errors.

New Beyond record?:facepalm:

Ok you guys completely missed the joke, re read what I quoted and then my spelling/grammar error ridden response....

I seen, breaks, boarder, prolly etc are all funny English botching that occurs on beyond, it was simply a joke that apparently no one got!!!

CompletelyNumb
04-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Sarcasm is getting harder to detect over the internet, perhaps.

EMT limits are set by the bank, as has been said multiple times. Scotiabank limits it to $1000 per 24 hours. Very inconvenient for me.