PDA

View Full Version : Looking for plumber

JordanLotoski
04-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Im looking for a good plumber, was hoping to find one on beyond. Need some work done as well as to recommend to clients.

Anyone?

sputnik
04-13-2012, 08:52 AM
SilCraft

www.silcraft.com
560-4719

Tell Sil or Nick that Jason sent you.

rage2
04-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Jordan, Sil's a good guy. I used him on Jason's recommendations at my gf's house.

ganesh
04-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Sil is good but he over charge you.
Recently we called him for some work at my house and first we asked him to replace the Catridge on the shower and he charged us $ 200 which includes a charge for the catridge which is covered under warranty and if you walk into Rona or Home depot they will give you the catridge for free. Needless to say after that I decided not use him on the other stuff.

CapnCrunch
04-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by ganesh
Recently we called him for some work at my house and first we asked him to replace the Catridge on the shower and he charged us $ 200 which includes a charge for the catridge which is covered under warranty and if you walk into Rona or Home depot they will give you the catridge for free. Needless to say after that I decided not use him on the other stuff.

Lol wut?

sputnik
04-13-2012, 10:24 AM

:rofl:

So you wanted him to drive to your house to figure out the problem, then go to Rona or Home Depot for you to pick up your free cartridge (under warranty) and then install it for you for free?

ganesh
04-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

:rofl:

So you wanted him to drive to your house to figure out the problem, then go to Rona or Home Depot for you to pick up your free cartridge (under warranty) and then install it for you for free?

I didn't ask him to do it for free. I am not sure where you are getting the idea that I am looking for him to do it for free.

If you are a trade person ( Which he is) you will carry the parts and I am sure you get them from the manufacturer for free. - Here is another one which I didn't say in my earlier post, he took the broken catridge with him. - I am not going to say any more.
When we called him he told us that there is no service call charge. So he charged us $150 for changing a catridge on a shower at his billing rate it is about 1.5 hrs of labour for changing a catridge.

project240
04-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Doesn't really sound unreasonable to me... :dunno:

Kloubek
04-13-2012, 11:00 AM
In case you need someone else, you're probably going to get one of the best rates out of this guy:

Silver Fox Plumbing
403-703-0585

His name is Jeff. Tell him Jeff Kloubek sent you.

C_Dave45
04-13-2012, 11:05 AM

I didn't ask him to do it for free. I am not sure where you are getting the idea that I am looking for him to do it for free.

If you are a trade person ( Which he is) you will carry the parts and I am sure you get them from the manufacturer for free. - Here is another one which I didn't say in my earlier post, he took the broken catridge with him. - I am not going to say any more.
When we called him he told us that there is no service call charge. So he charged us $150 for changing a catridge on a shower at his billing rate it is about 1.5 hrs of labour for changing a catridge.
$50/hour? That's cheap.
And FYI, there are probably over 1,000 different types of cartridges...no plumber carries them with him. Even if he knew the model number, he's not going to order it until he knows that's what the problem is. If he orders one, brings it with him and that's not it, then has to return it, he gets hit with a restocking charge.
Doesn't matter if it was covered under warranty...you took up his time for a good part of the morning. If you had Pete the Plumber do it, that same bill would have been double that.

project240
04-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Thought you had to be a sponsor to advertise... Didn't know you were a plumber Jeff :rofl:

ganesh
04-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

$50/hour? That's cheap.
And FYI, there are probably over 1,000 different types of cartridges...no plumber carries them with him. Even if he knew the model number, he's not going to order it until he knows that's what the problem is. If he orders one, brings it with him and that's not it, then has to return it, he gets hit with a restocking charge.
Doesn't matter if it was covered under warranty...you took up his time for a good part of the morning. If you had Pete the Plumber do it, that same bill would have been double that.

Not $ 50/Hour. $ 150 for 1.5 Hrs. His billing rate is $95/Hour.
FYI, he had the part in his vehicle. He didn't order.

May be I am cheap.

rage2
04-13-2012, 11:24 AM
I had to do the same thing. Sil told me to remove it and get the free cartridge replacement at Rona, otherwise he'll have to charge me for it. Suffice to say, he walked me through on how I can check it, and I ended up fixing it myself for free (the handle was installed upside down).

Sil is more than fair.

SilverGS
04-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
In case you need someone else, you're probably going to get one of the best rates out of this guy:

Silver Fox Plumbing
403-703-0585

His name is Jeff. Tell him Jeff Kloubek sent you.

+1

Used him to hook up gas on a water tank a few months ago as per Kloubek's recommendation.

Very easy to deal with. Came the next day, showed up when he said he would, got the job done in the time he said he would and so far no gas leaks :).

C_Dave45
04-13-2012, 11:35 AM

Not $ 50/Hour. $ 150 for 1.5 Hrs. His billing rate is $95/Hour.
FYI, he had the part in his vehicle. He didn't order.

May be I am cheap.
Doh...sorry..math brain fart. Yeah $95/hour is standard. If he had the part, that's a bonus. Bottom line is $150 is a cheap service/repair call.

Kloubek
04-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by project240
Thought you had to be a sponsor to advertise... Didn't know you were a plumber Jeff :rofl:

Ha! Just happen to have the same name. He's actually married to an ex of mine. (Once you get a taste of this Jeff, you just can't keep away from Jeffs, apparently)

I'm just giving him a recommendation as per the thread topic... not advertising him per sec. He did my basement plumbing and was very fair and honest.

masoncgy
04-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Sil does good work and he's definitely not overpriced at all. He did work for me in my rental house and it required cutting an access, completely changing out a 30 year old faucet & pipes, putting all new components in and then also having someone come over and re-tile the one wall of the shower because it was pretty soft.

Quality service, I would use him all over again for sure. He did a lot of work and charged a very fair price for it.

suntan
10-04-2012, 12:09 PM
$95/hr is the average rate for plumbers in Calgary, but there's no way it should have taken him 1.5 hours to change out the cartridge. I just did it yesterday for a faucet and I was in full retard mode and it still took me only 30 minutes.

CanmoreOrLess
10-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

$50/hour? That's cheap.

Dave is right. I had this exact situation, called a plumber (big company might have been Pete) and the service advisor asked for the brand of the faucet (to check inventory), I gave it to him and also sent a phone photo of the unit. Made appointment for the next day. Was advised of the minimum service fee (very normal), I asked how many cartridges the plumber could change over in the 1.5 hours and had him do all the sinks for free as the cartridges are free under warrantee. When one goes the others are not far behind. Service fee was around $150, very normal.

A good plumber on speed dial is your best friend, along with all the trades really.

CanmoreOrLess
10-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by suntan
$95/hr is the average rate for plumbers in Calgary, but there's no way it should have taken him 1.5 hours to change out the cartridge. I just did it yesterday for a faucet and I was in full retard mode and it still took me only 30 minutes.

There is a minimum charge as is the norm for all house calls. Take your faucet to a plumber and the fee will be far less. Good luck with that.

suntan
10-04-2012, 07:15 PM
So you're saying it didn't take him an 1.5 hours to change out the cartridge but in fact charged the minimum? There's a difference .

StreetRacerX
10-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Our company charges a minimum 1.5 hours as well, it doesn't matter if we are on site for 5 minutes, the minimum is charged out, perhaps it would be wise to ask for a quote.

JRSC00LUDE
10-05-2012, 09:02 AM
May be I am cheap.

Not cheap. By your first and second posts you just show you have little understanding of trades or how people run a business.

Now you've learned how to go about it next time and the experience will be closer to your expectations.

The more you know! :thumbsup:

Maxt
10-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Residential plumbers are charging 95/hour? :nut:

rc2002
12-30-2012, 09:23 PM
FYI for anyone that might turn up this thread in their search for a plumber:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/364200/how-much-did-your-hot-water-tank-cost/