PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Vegas- Passport question

cavalieracing
04-17-2012, 04:06 PM
I lost my passport when I moved and I'm just wondering if any of you know when the best time to go to the passport office is to avoid standing in line all day. Any tips on how I can shorten the process would be appreciated. Thanks,

-R

Smartiepants
04-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Go 15 minutes before they open and there generally isn't a line.

Since you lost yours I'd call in and report it lost first.

You can speed up the process by making sure all the forms are filled correctly, and if you are travelling soon bring travel documents to prove you need to get it faster. Then just pay the higher cost of the fast ones and you should be gold.

RX_EVOLV
04-17-2012, 04:49 PM
I went to the passport office in the South this morning at 10:30am and it was pretty packed already. I only had to do a renewal so I didn't have to stick around. I think it's alot quicker too if you fill out an online form and print instead of hand writing one because the software will validate all your information before they let you print out the completed application..

rob the knob
04-17-2012, 08:29 PM
pay extra fee to get quicker

one fee for a week or something, then another fee and you can get in a day

Agent_Oorange
04-17-2012, 10:04 PM
If you report it lost you may have to fill out a statutory declaration explaining when/where you lost it and get it notarized or signed off by a lawyer: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/planification/203.aspx?lang=eng.

I managed to lose my passport on a plane (yes on the plane) coming back from New York - was surprisingly easy going through Canadian customs with no passport.

theken
04-18-2012, 02:01 AM
I paid like 30 bucks more and got it in 2 business days. I went at 4pm and waited 20 minutes on a Friday

cavalieracing
04-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the info, guys! :thumbsup:

pea_soup
04-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Just an FYI for those who see this thread in the future via search.

It is almost always significantly faster to drop your passport application at the south office and not the downtown office. They are typically much longer waits downtown. It's not unusual to go through the south office in less than 15 minutes.

theken
05-05-2012, 12:51 AM
The problem with south office is that they can not put the rush on your passport. If you have the time go there, if you do not have time you have to go downtown.

OU812
05-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by theken
The problem with south office is that they can not put the rush on your passport. If you have the time go there, if you do not have time you have to go downtown.

The problem with south office is its not very practical for a huge percentage of the city hence most people end up at the central location (downtown).

I dont know who the genius was that put a second location in that particular spot.