PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Illegal Import For Sale - Do Not Buy

Pages : [1] 2

redbaron303
02-02-2004, 11:09 PM
This is an announcement for all those interested in importing cars. I typically do not slander or post against other people who are bringing cars into our country, but that is when they are doing this LEGALLY.

Currently there are a few imports kicking around AB & BC that are illegal. If someone buys one of these cars unsuspecting and does not know much about out import laws they will be up shit creek when the law comes down.

Click here to see a local add for an ILLEGAL car (http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?rubno=4000&r=%27ALB%27%2C%27EDM%27%2C%27CAL%27&ste=&sid=&issr=1&yfr=0&yto=0&kfr=0&kto=0&pfr=0&pto=0&dm=1&dp=4&mk=TOYOTA&md=MR2&kw=&rc=&or=0&oby=7&pg=1&vid=4321263) This add has been posted in Canada Trader recently.

FYI ALL cars coming to Canada MUST be 15 years old to the month they were built in. This car isn't even an 89, which makes it super illegal & hot as far as our gov't is concerned.

http://media.canadatrader.com/canadatrader/405/9000/1/26254.jpg

Description : 1990 TOYOTA MR2 , immaculate inside and out, extremely well taken care of, includes new Blizzack winter tires and high performance summer tires, serious buyers only please, 44,000 kms, $14,900. Ph (780) 458-7992. St Albert.

This is just an FYI ----> Please be advised that owning an illegal car could cost you more than you anticipated. Though it is the responsibilty of the importers to verify the year of the vehicle, for a car to come into the country it's here on forged papers claiming it's 15 years old this will in turn cause insurance and registration scandals *IF* the papers have been forged, as well CUSTOMS has the right to sieze and hold the car for destruction at the Importers cost, but that leaves the current owner with out a vehicle.

Please do your research before you buy a car, and make sure you aren't opening a bad can of worms!

Sorry for the ramble,

ImportConcern

gwkwan
02-02-2004, 11:12 PM
is that a right hand drive?

Redlyne_mr2
02-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Yah that RHD, thanks for the heads up, thats a really good price if thats a turbo compared to what the usdm and cdm sw20s go for here

Akagi Redsuns
02-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Wierd, no where in the ad did it have any mention that it is RHD. Are you sure the image isn't just mirrored? See that a lot in car selling publications.

redbaron303
02-02-2004, 11:28 PM
There are some fellows in my hometown that have imported prior illegals as well. A 180SX, a suposid Fairlady Z TT, and now this. They were in Vancouver at the same lot as us when we picked up our LEGAL car....

spike7ss
02-02-2004, 11:51 PM
this guy knows what hes talking bout, do your research before purchasing a car

:thumbsup:

sxtasy
02-02-2004, 11:53 PM
how do you know its imported, just from the pic? Cause like Agaki said, a lot of the pics are flipped in the trader

redbaron303
02-03-2004, 12:00 AM
We know the guys that have imported the car... I've seen the car in person before. I don't post false information, but if for some reason a VIN # appears on the dash and the steering wheel swaps positioning I will retract my post.... but until then :)

BTW --- I live within a few blocks of these guys, and one of my best friends lives at the top of the "importers" crescent :)

sxtasy
02-03-2004, 12:16 AM
oh, no i wasnt implying that it was false information. I was just wondering. I'm sure the heads up is appreciated by all:thumbsup:

redbaron303
02-03-2004, 12:26 AM
I wasn't implying that you were implying, but just incase someone else was wondering... :)

The one thing I ask, if you are looking to import a car from the USA, Japan, Germany, or where ever is that you select a realible importer who is familiar with our laws, is it really worth the hassle that can come out of having an illegal? I would say it isn't, but maybe that's just me b/c there are obviously ppl out there that just don't care... and b/c of this I'm really hoping this won't make it tougher to bring legal cars in when the illegals are caught (and yes they have been caught in the past, I know of some ppl locally that had their cars seized already for breaking the laws...)

There are harsh penalty's set out by Customs and Transport Canada for the importation of illegals, for verification please visit their respective sites :)

Weapon_R
02-03-2004, 12:30 AM
Just an aside:

If you store it for a year, and pull it out, will it not become legal?

redbaron303
02-03-2004, 12:38 AM
No. Customs does not offer bonded storage for cars newer than 15 years old....

For the car to even enter the country for a domestic resident (not someone who is visiting the country) it must be 15 years old, I've spoken with a variety of ppl at customs on various levels and it's just not possible.

So to legally import anything and have it actually land on Canadian soil it still must be 15 years old to the month, they will not even allow it in if it's off by one month!

89EF
02-03-2004, 12:49 AM
so why do they have R34 Skylines in the states then? is it legal in the states to import a car thats not 15 years old?

redbaron303
02-03-2004, 12:52 AM
No... the States I belive have something like a 30 year old rule, I'd have to check further into it.

Some VERY VERY rich people in the States bought numerous R32's, R33's, and R34's and crash tested them and modified them to meet USA safety regulations. They are called motorex, however currently we haven't been able to convince the Canadian gov't to allow us (importers in general) to prove that the cars we want are good enough to come in!

It's so lame b/c even cars that we have IE: Fairlady Z twinturbo, MR2, Mercedes S500 (new ones) are not allowed here b/c of the laws.... It's sad, but there isn't much we can do YET.

00accordSE
02-03-2004, 01:04 AM
So would you import stuff like seats ??

sheer_blade
02-03-2004, 11:26 AM
i HAVE A question REdBaron, my team has imported a few "items"and i'm just wondering if this car is so illegal, then how did he get it of the dock? I my-self am from Edmonton i've been up to St.Albert alot, maybe i didn't see that exact car but i'm pretty sure with those lovely RCMP's up there that car would have been haulded of a long time ago!

Ashkente
02-03-2004, 02:50 PM
The US has Motorex who imports Skylines exclusivly, since they met the federal regulations for crash testing etc. They are the only people who can import and bring to US safety specs and sell to the public, afaik.

rage2
02-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by sheer_blade
i HAVE A question REdBaron, my team has imported a few "items"and i'm just wondering if this car is so illegal, then how did he get it of the dock?
False documentation, dumb customs folks, bribes :). Who knows, but it's not hard to illegally import a vehicle. What redbaron is trying to warn are people that buy them unknowingly. Imagine if you bought the car, and someone rear ended you. Insurance does some poking around and sees an illegal car. Everyone sues you, and you have no coverage even though you were the victim. Fun stuff.

sheer_blade
02-03-2004, 04:18 PM
DANGEROUS STUFF, thanx for the info?

rc2002
02-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Good info, thanks for the post. I would probably be one of the idiots who would jump at owning a RHD 1990 MR2 for only 14000.

redbaron303
02-03-2004, 05:30 PM
I thank Rage for butting in there. I never said it wasn't possible to get illegals in, I know every possible way to get cars into the country.

Myself and my company are against illegals though b/c not only could it affect my ability to import LEGAL cars but it could end up causing the buyer of the illegal car some SERIOUS trouble, like what could essentially boil down to insurance fraud. The way the law works, is you should know what you're getting into before you get into it, they won't have sympathy for you when you're being sued and denied coverage b/c the car is here illegally even though you did not import it.

It's just and FYI, beware of the illegals it could cost you more than you anticipated. With the fines and such that can be imposed on the importers of illegals, I would think that is a good enough deterent, but I guess not for some people. I know I don't want to incur something like $200k worth of BS charges and such b/c I did something illegal, so as an importer I won't be bringing in illegals.

DeathBy240
02-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
Wierd, no where in the ad did it have any mention that it is RHD. Are you sure the image isn't just mirrored? See that a lot in car selling publications.

The car is RHD for sure, its not just a mirrored pic.

Akagi Redsuns
02-03-2004, 06:36 PM
Ok cool! Figured that out when redbaron mentioned he has seen the car first hand.... just wanting to be sure since I have seen a lot mirrored images.

Glad to see you are informing people before they get burned on buying a car they can't insure and drive legally.

Boostn
02-05-2004, 12:37 AM
No 1990 MR2s were available in North America but it was the initial build year for the MKII model (89 was the final year for the MKI). I believe they were only sold in Japan, Australia, and the UK at that time. The first year for US and Canada sales was 1991, so no surprise that car is definitely a RHD import.

Redlyne_mr2
02-05-2004, 12:42 AM
Cosmetically the jdm clear corners, solid corner side moulding, amber fender markers and rear spoiler are also pretty much a giveaway thats its jdm..besides the ovious fact thats its rhd

donz
02-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Not to be rude, but is it possible that the guy did a JDM RDH conversion to the north american version. I know that there are quite a few ITR guys in the states that had converted their cars to the JDM version because they got ther hands on a front clip, and yes they switched dash steering and all... it's unlikely but it has been done before.

redbaron303
02-05-2004, 09:00 PM
It is very unlikely, as I stated above. I know the car personally and it is authentic JDM and RHD and authentic enough to be illegal.

92civic
02-07-2004, 07:08 PM
Whats the deal with 15 years anyway? Sorry if i sound ignorant, i did not do enough research myself...But wouldn't a car newer than 15 years old be safer/ have better crash ratings than one that is 15 years or older? I would think that the reasoning behind the gov'ts laws for importing something atleast 15 years old is due to market prices? I mean prices are dirt cheap down there and if we were able to ship any car and bring it down here, it would ruin our own Canadian market for cars correct? I mean its obvious that a 2001 car will come very close to passing USA/Canada safety regulations compared to a 1988, etc. So in my opinion this talk about safety regulations is b.s. (That is my opinion without looking into it)

88CRX
02-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by 92civic
Whats the deal with 15 years anyway? Sorry if i sound ignorant, i did not do enough research myself...But wouldn't a car newer than 15 years old be safer/ have better crash ratings than one that is 15 years or older? I would think that the reasoning behind the gov'ts laws for importing something atleast 15 years old is due to market prices? I mean prices are dirt cheap down there and if we were able to ship any car and bring it down here, it would ruin our own Canadian market for cars correct? I mean its obvious that a 2001 car will come very close to passing USA/Canada safety regulations compared to a 1988, etc. So in my opinion this talk about safety regulations is b.s. (That is my opinion without looking into it)

i think everyone will agree with you... newer = safer... but the law is the law.

92civic
02-07-2004, 07:28 PM
Yes, the law is the law..I just hear too much about safety when its more obvious that it has to do with not ruining our own market for cars..not safety

redbaron303
02-08-2004, 02:27 PM
There are way too many lame ass bogus answers the gov't will rattle off when you ask them.... I haven't gotten a straight answer out of anyone in any gov't transportation dept. when you ask them "when am I only allowed to import cars that are 15 years old and not newer?" It's almost like it's a joke to them to actually take you serious!

Unfortunatly as 88crx said, the law is the law and the penalties are far to great if you get caught with an illegal.

92civic
02-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Yeah..thats true...I didn't ask them though..I'm just saying its pretty obvious that my explanation is the reason..The law is the law correct...and I kind of see why the government restricts these sort of things. It sucks for us enthusiasts but I suppose its better for our economy as a whole.

redbaron303
02-08-2004, 05:41 PM
....I agree w/ your reasoning too :)

We should form some sort of petition to change to the laws to something that us, the enthusiasts, agree with.

92civic
02-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I think it would be a good idea; we should try to bring the age restriction of cars to 10 or 11 years old. That would give us some better selection and more selection, which would also bring down prices for us, while not conflicting with the US and Canadian market that much.

Ridelikeme
02-10-2004, 06:00 PM
the car is def an import... usdm and cadm did not create a 1990 mr-2.... the model year was skipped completely and was introduced as an early 1991 vehicle.. however in japan the rhd jdm mr2 was created and sold on public markets in 1990

Seanith
02-10-2004, 06:05 PM
^thats been mentioned already :)

redbaron303
02-10-2004, 08:35 PM
And as a matter of factly.... the SW20 had production #'s starting at the end of 1989 (1989 Model year in Japan).

REFLUX
02-13-2004, 02:56 AM
Go0o0o0o0o0o Chris!!!!:thumbsup:

jorge
02-13-2004, 04:12 AM
Hi guys,

First of all, the reason why the Canadian Government has a 15 years or older rule is so that car collectors do not get prevented from purchasing classic antique cars, so the "..or older" is the important part in that law.

Second, I want to mention something so that people do not think from all that has been written above, that all imports are illegal. If the car is in the "Allowable" list of Transport Canada then you can bring that car relatively easy from the USA.
I recently imported a Toyota Celica GTS Rally car and passed all the Federal and Provincial inspections even though the car has a roll cage, and a lot of non stock equipment such as 6 point harnesses (instead of the regulation factory belts), carbon kevlar seats, etc, etc. Most had told me the car would never pass like that...... but hey, I learned that you do not have to know the rules, you have to know "ALL" the rules.

Granted, some cars will never be able to pass an inspection and will be stoped at the port of entry, all at the owner's expense, and we should thank the warnings given by our friend here so that people are more cautious.
With that said, one must know there are ways to bring some cars in without braking the laws, especially if you are truly planning to race with them.

Some groups are also organizing themselves to aproach the government as has been suggested here, to create excemptions for certain purposes for cars that are presently not allowed, but believe it or not, one of the mayor obstacles is that the government is afraid that these cars will end up in the hands of people that like to race in the streets. (or the fast and furious crowd as it is often known)

A lot of the people that want to own an R34 or an MKII, etc, want them for showng off in the street while doing stupid things that endanger the public, hey I love cars too, especialy those ones, but I am a strong believer that if you want to go fast or prove your driving skills then you should get a competition license and go racing in a speedway or with a rally car.

Unfortunately most do not do that and go racing in the streets with little or no skills, often creating events from which we all pay the consequenses... restriction to high performance cars is one of them.
I know, life sucks! but those are the facts and if you think that is bad:...
Did you all know that in Ontario and BC the law makers are working on some new laws that will make it illegal to have anything in your car that is not factory made? I mean anything! exhaust, seats, belts, lights, even decals.... yes, it is true, they are doing this because of the fatalities they have had with small import street races.

Often I have heard that "we do not all have the money to go amateur or pro racing"... but all I know is that if you can afford a MKII, R34, Evo6 or even Canadian made Acura RSX, you can afford to go racing!

The following is a serious question:
How much do you think I could sell a "Legal" 2000 Mitsu Evo 6 for?

Cheers

redbaron303
02-13-2004, 10:24 AM
That depends on who's buying it.

As you said, the newer car that you have is here as a "race car" and the gov't keeps close tabs on what it's being used for. So in selling an EVO6 you won't be selling to your typical crowd but rather someone prepared to spend money on a track car - only.

There are plenty of JDM cars coming to Canada legally through company's like mine. We unfortunatly follow the 15 year old rule (as much as we hate it) so we do not create problems down the road and have the CDN gov't shut down everyone and not allow imported cars into the country.

As I said, we are talking about cars that have been intended /imported for street use and / or resale to the public like the SW20 I listed. They are the cars that will cause problems for us, coming here before they should be which equates it to being illegal. If it was a race car that may be different and I'd like to see it on the track, but I know the person who imported it and that's not how it is.....

jorge
02-14-2004, 01:48 AM
I actualy never said the Evo 6 is a race car, it is actualy a "LEGAL" street car.

It was just a very unusual circumstance but doable.

I believe the lawmakers always make the loop hole before making the law, it is just a matter of reading "all" the government documents and find how things work.

What amazes me is how stupid some people are importing illegal cars.... and how do they get them through a port of entry anyhow? Braking a Federal law such as that one carries way more consequenses than it is worth.

bluespyder
02-25-2004, 03:33 AM
The "15 years" rule that the government has impose is for protecting the car dealer in Canada from consumers purchasing vehicle(s) outside Canada, especially now with the Canadian currency being stronger.

Check out this link for the official publication.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/impxus_e.htm

As for the US market, the vehicle has to be 25 years or older
Here's the information:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ELIG102803.html

But there are many loopholes to import a vehicle into the US despite all the rules. Personally, I drive a Canadian car here in California, purchase in Vancouver 5 years ago when the currency exchange was at around 1.58. Plus I have a Honda RVF400 (Japanese domestic) motorcycle sitting at home in California. Both are legally register with the DMV.

Here's the official US website for importing vehicles into the US.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

redbaron303
02-25-2004, 02:42 PM
It's wonderful how the two countries are different when it comes to importing cars and the laws surrounding them.

Like the US, there are ways around laws here in Canada. But as I've previously mentioned if you have an "illegal" car such as the SW20 in question, you deffinatly don't want to be involved in an accident or let the wrong ppl here know about it.

mgravel
02-25-2004, 05:47 PM
This 15 years is not true.
You can import a vehicule that is not 15 years old from the United States.

The rule is that ANY vehicule over 15 years old can be imported.
For vehicules that are more recent, they need to be part of the approved list and might require certain modifications.

This is the document with the details of which cars can be imported to Canada.

http://www.riv.ca/english/TC_admis_list_nov03_Eng.PDF

Seanith
02-25-2004, 05:57 PM
It looks like technically you can bring in a Skyline from the states that has been modified to be legal in the U.S lol

jorge
02-26-2004, 12:43 AM
Redbaron,

In regards to your private e-mail you sent me;

First of all, I would like to mention that in my many years in business I always took an attitude of "there is always something new to learn as long as I am listening".. it has worked very well for me, you should try it.
You should not treat everyone like they are all morons that break the laws while you are the only one who knows all the importation guidelines, try being more polite and open minded, you will learn more and get further ahead.

In answer to your questions;

1- I not only think the evo is here legally, I know it IS because the car has a "Canadian Certification label" in the door frame.

2- You asked me "why you think your Evo is special?"... well because Evos in Canada are rare and therefore; special, if you do not think so then get me a couple and I will buy them from you. Besides mine I only know of 3 other ones plated and I think they have a line up of people to buy them if they ever sold.

3- You say "...you know every loophole and feel they are not worth the hassle"
I never said what it took to have this car here but the amount of hassle is in the eye of the beholder, it all depends how badly you want something, and some people are willing to go very far for an Evo. Iregardless, the car is here.

4- As far as how I did it, well, I guess that is for me to know and for others to wonder, besides, from the way you talk you sound like you know all the angles of importation, you figure it out...

I do not do this for a living, I believe that sort of business (strange cars importations) falls into the "looks good" category which are "high in glamour" but also "high in hassles" and "low in profits" so I am not interested, I only do stuff like that for fun.

Have a good day :)

sexualbanana
03-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Ashkente
The US has Motorex who imports Skylines exclusivly, since they met the federal regulations for crash testing etc. They are the only people who can import and bring to US safety specs and sell to the public, afaik.

Also, I believe the Canadian gov't doesn't recognize Motorex's crash test results. I think that's why the US would have imported JDM cars when we can't.

redbaron303
03-09-2004, 06:49 PM
RIV list is for US market cars.... cars made to be sold in the US Market, not imported for us in the us market and transfered to our market (Ie: Skyline).... it's entertaining really.... but if you want to pay motorexs prices, try to bring one in... if you succed and it's all legit :thumbsup: (I don't deal much in the US).

Ridelikeme
03-12-2004, 11:57 PM
ouch i got told.. hmmm i dono where that was directly mentioned before... question for red? would i be able to bring in a 1989 or 1990 skyline, i know they chaged body styles in 89' so im kinda interested, but the newer the better.. and how much would it cost me, another guy appraised me at around 8500-9g's for a 88 or 89

redbaron303
03-13-2004, 01:09 PM
You've been appraised ;)

Check out our website, we always have GTR's and GTST's going through us.

To bring the car into the country, for legal road use, it will have to be a car 15 years old to the month it was produced in as far as "new" goes.

Next, if you're buying a GTR for under $10 000..... have a close look at it, I'd be weary about it, unless you're buying a seasoned race car or something that needs a little bit of TLC. There is a chance that you can get an awesome GTR for $8k - $10k, but it's such a slim chance I'd be budgetting more for a cleaner *mint* Skyline. $12 000+ is where I'd start and would aim for less than typically $25 000 (now that's 5.0/5.0 for mint ;) ).

Feasibly I could work with any budget, but its deffinatly easier to work with a larger budget from my perspective... at least that way I can give you money back if we don't use all of your budget.

Ridelikeme
03-13-2004, 06:30 PM
appraised was the wrong word.. hmm the cars were appraised at around 8500-9000 but i dont know if that was with shipment and all that other shit.. im gonna go back in, im definately interested and ill have around 9500$ to drop.... hmm red u seem to know your stuff a bit more than the other guys.. maybe i should go through u

Ridelikeme
03-13-2004, 06:37 PM
ohh adn by the way.. i am onyl interested in the R-32.. can u tell me the difference in appearance and engine, between the GT-R and the GT-S, im not postive but im pretty sure on the gt-r has awd, on your site i saw all kinds of gt-rs for sale, but they are all in yen, and i dont think that includes any cost of shipment and stuff, can u fill me in a bit more.. either way these cars have to be faster and more original than a 96 integra

mx73someday
03-13-2004, 11:48 PM
GTS is 2.0 non-turbo.....i dont know the HP and quarter mile...

GTS-t is 2.0 turbo, 215hp (I believe), ~14.3 quarter mile, RWD only.

GT-R is 2.6 twin turbo, widebody, AWD, limited to 276hp, low 13 quarter mile (I think).

GTS-t's begin becoming legal this April. GT-R's in August.

I'll let redbaron fill in the pricing details...

Ridelikeme
03-14-2004, 02:28 AM
thanks man.. thats pretty good, i knew there was a difference in body too, i just cant seem to find a picture of both the R-32 GT-R and the GTS-T from a head on view to look at the difference...................does anybody have a pic of both of those cars year 89' ... id kinda like to compare, it would bea bitch to import but atleast its original

redbaron303
03-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Pictures of them headon.... hmm.... I don't think I do? I'll look and see, and if I do I'll post them here.

Which cars were you looking at on our site? I think it would be better if you e-mailed me direct --> [email protected] and we can discuss whatever you need/want to dicuss there. I don't want to cluter this message board with our spam, if that's alright with you?

ChrisK

Kremlin
03-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Sorry to jump in on an old thread but...

I believe the 15 year law is for cars which were not at any point available in Canada. If the car has been available in Canada, it is legal to import a foreign one to Canada so long as it meets safety requirements. A 1990 Toyota MR2 should be legal to import so long as it has the Canadian bumper reinforcements and day running lights.

Some time ago my brother was looking at importing a car. He lived in Japan for a year, and was seriously considering bringing back an S13 Silvia. The S13s are legal to bring back because the same chassis was available in Canada, even though there were many differences in the cars. After all the costs, though, he decided not to.

When importing a car or purchasing an imported one, it would be best to phone Canadian Customs and Revenue Agency to ask specifically about the model you're looking at. Visit www.riv.ca for more information about importing cars.

redbaron303
03-16-2004, 05:18 PM
Visit the following pages to familiarize yourself about current Canadian import laws... There is no doubt about the age factor once you've thouroughly (sp?) reviewed and studied this information and have had many experiences with CCRA and TC, the authorities for allowing cars into the country. BTW - RIV is for cars leaving the USA (produced for the USA market, not imported to their market) and entering Canada.

Cars coming from foreign countries, other than USA:

Canada Customs:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/d9-1-11/d9-1-11-e.html

or

Transport Canada
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/menu.htm

or

RIV (Importation of US market cars to Canada)
www.riv.ca

Typically, cars whether seen in Canada at some point or another are still not allowed to be imported. Customs and TC will still not let me import a 97 Mercedes S class sedan and that car has been for sale in Canada before. This is true for trying to get a MB S class from out of North America, not anywhere in the USA or Canada ;)

redbaron303
04-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Here is an Update for anyone who is interested, on the prospect of purchasing a JDM car...

This isn't the most comprehensive article ever, but it can help and if you have more questions feel free to contact us.

http://www.importconcern.ca/articles/illegals.htm

Here are some photos of spotted cars in Edmonton/Sherwood park, that I would advise staying away from:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/cmcewan/illegals/180sx_1.jpg
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/cmcewan/illegals/180sx_3.jpg
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/cmcewan/illegals/180sx_5.jpg
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/cmcewan/illegals/300zx.jpg
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/cmcewan/illegals/bnr32.jpg
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/cmcewan/illegals/bnr32_1.jpg
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/cmcewan/illegals/bnr32_2.jpg
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/cmcewan/illegals/r32_1.jpg
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/cmcewan/illegals/r32_2.jpg
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/cmcewan/illegals/z32_1.jpg

And my favorite, multiple cars at the same time and place....

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/cmcewan/illegals/sky.jpg

There is also another GTR available from Silverstone autorepair and at least 6 more cars from the importer of the ones in the photo, all here illegally. Of which include more Fairlady Z, EVO #?, and some other cars that have been spotted in Sherwood park/by his house. If you see any "illegal" cars, please take photos and pass them along.

**Note photos are provided by other members of this and other forums, and are used with permission. (advantages of taking shots from public property)

Madspinner
04-14-2004, 11:17 PM
May i ask how you know these are cars are here illegaly .

rage2
04-14-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Madspinner
May i ask how you know these are cars are here illegaly .

Originally posted by redbaron303
http://www.importconcern.ca/articles/illegals.htm

Originally posted by www.importconcern.ca
What are the types of vehicles being imported illegally?

R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R - First manufactured in August in 1989, the first examples will not be legal for import until August 2004. The serial number prefixes for GT-Rs is BNR32.

R32 Nissan Skyline GTS, GTS-t, GTS-t Type M - First manufactured in May 1989, the first examples will not be legal for import until May 2004. The serial number prefixes will be HR32 or HCR32.

Z32 Nissan Fairlady Z (300ZX) - First manufactured in July 1989, the first examples will not be legal for import until July 2004. The serial number prefixes will be Z32, CZ32, GZ32 and GCZ32.

PS13/KPS13 Nissan Silvia and RPS13/KRPS13 180SX - Silvia's and 180SX's that came standard with SR20DE or SR20DET engines were first manufactured in January 1991, the first examples will not be legal for import until January 2006. Serial number prefixes to avoid are PS13, KPS13, RPS13 and KRPS13.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolutions - Lancer EVO's were not released until the early 90s, and are therefore not legal for a couple more years.

FD3S Mazda RX-7s - The FD3S generation of Mazda RX-7s were not manufactured until late in 1991 or early 1992. The serial number prefix for these RX-7s is FD3S.

Honda Civic/CR-X SiR - The SiR trim for the Civic and CR-X did not begin production until September 1989. The first examples become legal in September 2004. Serial number prefixes for these vehicles are EF8 and EF9.

SW20 Toyota MR-2 - The SW20 MR-2 did not begin major production until December 1989, although there were some produced earlier in 1989 which will have very low serial numbers. Serial number prexies for these MR-2s are SW20/SW21.

Calgaryscorpion
04-24-2004, 11:03 PM
I just imported a car last year and went through ALOT of red tape.
Funny enough it was from the US side. Any way, if the car is newer than 15 years it must be on the admisible list from MOT if not you can't bring the car into Canada no matter what.
Then a RIV form has to be filled out. ( registerd imported vehicle )
Once that is done you have to have a copy of the bill of sale and title 3 business days before you get to the US border where you want to cross into Canada. Then the US customs looks over the paper work and stamps it for release. Then take the car and the paperwork to Canada customs and pay the GST and RIV fee. Then you have 90 days to have an out of country vehicle inspection done at Canadian tire. After that, then you can insure and register your vehicle. If your car is older than 15 years ( as in my case ) you still do all the things as before ( with no admisible list ) but all you need is an out of provence inspection done before you register the car. The best thing to do is hire an importer and have them do it for you. It is worth the money.

Just my 2c

Warren

Rockski
08-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Here is an Update for anyone who is interested, on the prospect of purchasing a JDM car...

**Note photos are provided by other members of this and other forums, and are used with permission. (advantages of taking shots from public property)

first off, this is gonna sound bad and please dont flame me but whats a JDM car?

secondly, although you are on public property can you not get carged with mischief, just wondering aobut that cause im unsure

Seanith
08-12-2004, 05:20 PM
a jdm car is a japanese domestic market vehicle. A vehicle that was sold and driven in japan or other areas that receive such vehicles.

DeathBy240
08-12-2004, 05:26 PM
This car was sold a loooooooooooooong time ago. Is this thread just stickied in case the current owner ever decides to sell it?

EscortNation
09-15-2004, 01:45 AM
HOLY $#!t.... I ALMOST BOUGHT THIS CAR.
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/cmcewan/illegals/180sx_5.jpg
Its in canada trader right now..
Here (http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?rubno=4000&r=%27EDM%27&ste=&sid=&issr=1&yfr=0&yto=0&kfr=0&kto=0&pfr=0&pto=0&dm=1&dp=4&mk=NISSAN&md=200+SX&kw=&or=0&oby=7&pg=1&vid=224483)

Thank you guys ALOT. BTW Import Concern ill be coming your way soon

ridiculous_
09-20-2004, 03:18 PM
even though they may be illegal and what not i dont see how you have the right to photograph those cars and tell everyone here not to buy them...i personally think that is also illegal and unfair , and also since you yourself are a importer, i think it looks bad on your part that you are essentially saying "my cars are thee only ones u should buy" not saying thats what your doing, but thats what it may come across as

sputnik
09-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by ridiculous_
even though they may be illegal and what not i dont see how you have the right to photograph those cars and tell everyone here not to buy them...i personally think that is also illegal and unfair , and also since you yourself are a importer, i think it looks bad on your part that you are essentially saying "my cars are thee only ones u should buy" not saying thats what your doing, but thats what it may come across as

Uh... its perfectly fine to take pictures and warn people, especially in this scenario.

If you knew someone was selling fake armani suits and people were getting suckered you would want his face and his products all over the internet.

Maxt
09-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Today I past a white mistubishi 3000 gtr4(?), the mistu version of a stealth anyway, it was right hand drive, I was also told today these cars first years was 92 ish-93... Illegal cars can't be that hard to get into the country, or our government doesn't really care...maxt

mx73someday
09-20-2004, 10:23 PM
You saw a Mitsubishi GTO? Where abouts? They started in August or September 1990.

We never told people to buy from us solely because there are illegal cars on the market. I've written an article to help educate people on how to tell if the car they are buying was imported lawfully. The message is clear, do your best not to buy an illegally imported car. Buy from whomever you like, or try doing importing yourself, just stay away from these illegal cars cause it could bite you someday.

If the government doesn't want to do the work, then we thought we would. We didn't do anything illegal, we only took or posted pictures that were taken from public property. And yes, Canada Customs government is really blind when it comes to importing these cars, it's really pathetic.

redbaron303
09-20-2004, 10:51 PM
My photos and the photos that were posted in a legal matter. They were taken from public property and that is not a crime. i don't feel I did any injustice in writing this topic up as it's something that will help unsuspecting consumers NOT get screwed.

ridiculous_
09-20-2004, 11:46 PM
if they are let in then isnt more likely then not that they wont be caught if they are so slack about letting thme in in the first place

ninjak84
09-21-2004, 12:00 AM
Nobody says you can't buy any of the cars in this thread. If you want to, go nuts.
But when you get into an accident, or pulled over, then don't start a thread in Street Encounters unless the title is "I'm a dumbass". Because when that happens, you're fucked. The rules of importing are there, and you know about them.
Leave this thread up, and keep taking pictures.

Why would anyone buy from a business like that anyway? You could have the car for 30 minutes, and then have it impounded and destroyed on the ride home when the police notice where it's from..... You think buddy is gonna give you your money back for the Skyline? Hell, what if you start having engine troubles? All you're going to see is his middle finger.

It's almost the same as buying a stolen car.
And his business might as well be shipping boatloads of illegal immigrants over.

Maxt
09-21-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by mx73someday
You saw a Mitsubishi GTO? Where abouts? They started in August or September 1990.

Past it on Heritage drive sw Calgary about 2 pm yesterday...

On another note, I think the emissions clampdown in Japan must have started, lately I have seen truckloads of right hand drive sport utilities of various types on car carriers, with big "DIESEL" stickers on them.. Everyday I have past at least 2 or 3 car carriers totally loaded with them inside and outside the city...I know they were trying to put an urban ban on diesels over there, lucky for us I guess eh.. Toyota land cruisers swb's are kinda cool.. Not won over on the whole RH drive thing here yet though.. Saw a guy in a black hr31 skyline in bowness trying to make a left hand turn across traffic, his face looked pretty ass clenched when he did it....btw the hr31 is a pretty ugly car...I think its worth the wait for the later models though ..Maxt

ca2p3r
09-24-2004, 05:37 PM
would a 88 honda crx jdm crx be considered illigal...its rhd? and has been in canada for 2+ years

mx73someday
09-25-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by ca2p3r
would a 88 honda crx jdm crx be considered illigal...its rhd? and has been in canada for 2+ years

Sounds like it could be. Find out exactly when it was imported. Jan 1988 production = legal in Jan 2003. If it's a CR-X SiR, then it wouldn't have been legal until this exact month, Sept 2004. They didn't make SiR's before Sept 1989.

little_d_mr2
10-21-2004, 03:21 PM
i know this really isn't on topic, but..........
is there such thing as a left hand drive skyline??
if not, is it possible to do a conversion to left hand drive??
thanx.

calgarys13
10-21-2004, 04:22 PM
none were made but people do conversion

Seanith
10-21-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by calgarys13
none were made but people do conversion

I think in some places in Europe(England?) R34s came in LHD.. correct me if i'm wrong.

calgarys13
10-21-2004, 06:01 PM
no all conversions

v8killah
10-31-2004, 05:15 PM
just wondering, but could u buy it and store it in your garage until next year when it becomes leagal or is it forever illeagel because it was imported illeagaly

redbaron303
10-31-2004, 05:19 PM
Legality is based on date of import.... so if you buy it now, store it... once it's of age it's still illegal :P

The gov't isn't very forgiving with allowing you good option for these sorts of matters.

M_Power
10-31-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Just an aside:

If you store it for a year, and pull it out, will it not become legal?

No. Customs does not offer bonded storage for cars newer than 15 years old....

For the car to even enter the country for a domestic resident (not someone who is visiting the country) it must be 15 years old, I've spoken with a variety of ppl at customs on various levels and it's just not possible.

So to legally import anything and have it actually land on Canadian soil it still must be 15 years old to the month, they will not even allow it in if it's off by one month!

little_d_mr2
11-03-2004, 04:22 PM
how much does it cost to bring a car over the US border?
i am askin this coz i am considerin bringing a black 2000 type-r over the border.
thanx.

redbaron303
11-03-2004, 07:14 PM
www.riv.ca --- guide to importing US Market cars from the USA to Canada. It'll have all your answers there.

arocity
11-07-2004, 01:09 PM
i just called and got saome info on the cars that you can and cannot get in canada. as posted MR2 from year 2000-2004 r not. but also all cars are diffrent. nissan skyline, 300zx, nissan silvia, cr xsir all cars are ok and have no problems. Evo on the other hand, you cannot bring in a 2003-2005 evo but years before are ok. the importing cars taxs are as follows:\

7% GST
+ $182

IF CAR IS MADE OUTSIDE OF NORTH AMERICA IT WILL ADD
6.1%

AND THATS IT?
SO GO AND BUY WHAT YOU WANT?

redbaron303
11-07-2004, 02:14 PM
^^^

That post makes no sense?

What is the $182 for in addition to the 7% gst?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you are trying to get at - but the importation rules are clearly stated for out of country imports on Canada Customs and Transport Canadas websites & then again for US Market cars being imported from the USA (which is different than non-us market cars coming from out of country) on the RIV.ca website.

vtec23
11-07-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by 89EF
is it legal in the states to import a car thats not 15 years old? no not at all, in usa we can import any car from any country, no matter the age. You have to convert some things to get it street legal, but there are ways around that. Can you import motors and front clips into Canada?

redbaron303
11-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Depends how the motor and clips come in.... but yes for the most part there are no problems doing that.

arocity
11-09-2004, 08:29 PM
pm'd

p1j4k
12-04-2004, 01:37 AM
question on the side.... if im a citizen of a european country, like poland.... and i import myself a new car form japan there.... and just bring it here to drive.... still on polish plates etc.... that wouldnt be illegal then, right?

jorge
12-04-2004, 03:56 AM
Yes, it is illegal.

That rule only applies for people from other countries that are "visiting" Canada.

The law says that if you are a "resident" of Canada (no matter what passport or citizenship you have) you follow the Transport Canada rules.

I a few words, if you have a permanent address in Canada or are staying here for more than 6 months you are considered a resident of Canada and you can not drive that car here even with foreing plates.:cry:
Not to mention the fact that if you check around, no one will insure that car under those conditions.

Jorge

p1j4k
12-04-2004, 04:21 AM
thanks man, always good to know :>

i wanted to get myself one of the germans... or something japanese: P

Matt @ Skye Service
12-10-2004, 02:01 PM
There is actually a way to have a newer than 15 year old car Legally in canada without any problems of insurance or regestration. You must own your own company and prove that the car will be used for the means of your business. Example Auto Dream could import a 1995 Skyline and say that they sell a lot of RB motors and they want to display the power they have. You can not sell the car until it becomes 15years old and when it does become 15years old you must export it out (usa usually) and then import it back in.

JAYMEZ
12-10-2004, 02:23 PM
^^^ where did you find this?

Matt @ Skye Service
12-13-2004, 02:35 PM
I have a friend that lives in Japan who used to live here, and for show purposes he has a legal 1995 Skyline.

youngbex
12-30-2004, 07:11 PM
in that one pic with the 2 skylines in front of that guys house, is that FD rx-7 a RHD as well?

Seanith
12-30-2004, 07:33 PM
it sure is

dh51334
12-31-2004, 11:19 AM
You must be referring ONLY to cars from countries OTHER THAN the USA. With NAFTA, there is no 15 year rule except with the different duty percentages for newer cars.

autospeed
12-31-2004, 06:52 PM
yo pimped_up i definately want more info on what you said about importing a vehicle for show purposes. or at least where your friend found this out from. Cause that would be a doable scenario for me. thanks.

callydvincy
01-02-2005, 12:32 AM
i was looking at you guys' posts about illegal vehicles being imported to canada, what about telling people about the year of manufacture and the year of registration, wich is the first thing you see when you look at these cars on japanese car sites is the year and month of REGISTRATION, as far as i can recall the year and month of manufacture is what customs officials look for so a 91 vehicle was more than likely manufactured in 90, or 95 was manufactured in 94 and so on and so forth.