PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recently get their non GDL class 5?

NCS05
04-17-2012, 07:51 PM
As the title state

I would like to get out of the GDL program but I honestly have no clue on what the "advance" test is about. Let's say I'm a fairly competent driver, know the rules of the road (merging, traffic circles etc), no tickets, would I be able to pass?

Kobe
04-17-2012, 07:55 PM
It was pretty tough, about 1hr long...

You need 2 speak to the instructor while driving, what you observe etc etc.

After awhile you start feeling comfortable and avoid some things, but overall it wasn't that bad I lost most of my points on the 2nd half of the exam.

JfuckinC
04-17-2012, 07:57 PM
lol i did it 2 weeks ago, easy as shit.. didn't have to talk to my instructor at all though like most people do so that might have helped, he just told me where to drive.

Only thing i got docked for was approaching intersections too quickly when i was taking a right at green lights :dunno:

Squishy
04-17-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm going for it on Thursday.... it's $131! Such a rip off, damn registries...

flipstah
04-17-2012, 07:59 PM
So easy. It just brings you to either Deerfoot or 16th as the 'advance' part.

That and random questions about road rules.

Sentry
04-17-2012, 08:17 PM
I had a full class 5 from the NWT and when I transferred it to AB they put me on GDL again. Now THAT was horse shit.

But I took my "advanced" AB test 2 years ago in a $300 EF hatch I bought to haul parts/get around in while my red EG was blown up. :)

But yeah, random questions, you have to say what you observe for a period or two.

Only lost points for clipping yellows on left turns cause I'm FUCKIN EFFICIENT and took a proper line. :D

Chantastic
04-17-2012, 08:19 PM
I had to take mine twice :(

I totally didn't know you you're supposed to yield to the car on your right at an uncontrolled intersection (or slow down even if there are clearly no cars there). Otherwise just make sure you stop before the 'invisible crosswalks' and you'll be fine. Deerfoot was super easy, only on it for like a minute.

schocker
04-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Lol, I still need to do this as well, going on 6 years driving as GDL now :rofl:

Chantastic
04-17-2012, 08:21 PM
There's really no point in getting it, unless you have little demerits left.

Jetta-2.0
04-17-2012, 08:32 PM
watch for uncontroled intersections, also watch out for the play ground zone and school zone. "I did my test on a saturday, so he docked me marks going 30 in a school zone"

also he/she will ask u about ur surroundings what u see and such, signs and stuff.

Another thing always keep BOTH hands on the steering wheel, 9/3.

Im not sure how you turn and use ur steering wheel but ask him/her if u can cross steer or not, when i did mine he didnt care what i did as long as i had both hands on the steering wheel.

Dont take ur hands off the steering wheel if u stop at a red light or a stop sign.

another thing when u come to turn left or right, always keep ur wheels stright untell u make the turn. He docked me marks on turning my wheels while i was stoped to take a left turn.

Reason is, if some one runs in to u from the back ur car will go stright and not on to the oncoming lane making the risk of another car hitting u coming the other way.

Sentry
04-17-2012, 08:32 PM
I didn't like my picture on the GDL. :D

black13
04-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Chantastic
I had to take mine twice :(

I totally didn't know you you're supposed to yield to the car on your right at an uncontrolled intersection (or slow down even if there are clearly no cars there). Otherwise just make sure you stop before the 'invisible crosswalks' and you'll be fine. Deerfoot was super easy, only on it for like a minute.

Yea that bullshit got me the first time 2 years ago. Was pissed off so I didn't bother doing it till few months ago and I passed.

Mine was fairly easy and I did it in a RHD car too which made me worried cause I wasn't sure what's the proper way to do a left turn at intersections. If there is a car, I usually lean but I was afraid he would come up with some excuse that its dangerous and fail me again but it was ok. It did include a bit of the talking part.

Disoblige
04-17-2012, 09:27 PM
I found that being GDL has gotten me out of some ticket situations from friendly cops. Got warnings instead, and was told to have a good night.

Just sayin' fellas :D

Other than the alcohol limit, I didn't see a point in getting non-GDL class 5. And even till this day with non-GDL or not, I have never been asked to blow at all. I never look or smell like I've been drinking since the most I drink is a beer when I drive.

Also, if you're getting more than 8 demerits within 2 years, you really need to smarten up on your awareness on the road for cops.

tomt64
04-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Mine didnt ask any questions at all, talked about sports (when shaq was traded to suns from heat lol).
Only docked me points for sign language towards a car that was not letting me in.

Main thing is uncontrolled intersections, let off the gas a little and pay attention all around.
If you have been driving for a few years you will have no problem.

XylathaneGTR
04-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Lol, I still need to do this as well, going on 6 years driving as GDL now :rofl:
I'm glad I'm not the only one!

NCS05
04-17-2012, 10:33 PM
I understand that you really don't need it. Lol i dont ever drink nor have i gotten any deremits (not that i can in my little car). The thing is that you can't accompany drivers who have a class 7 if you're not fully licensed. I would like to get this because my little bro is starting to get near that age where he can start to learn. I recently got my class 6 as well so I thought I might as well take it while the technical stuff is still in my head lol

NCS05
04-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Oh and if I do pass, I will be non GDL for both my class 5 and class 6 right? Or am I going to have to take one on a motorcycle as well?

Disoblige
04-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by NCS05
Oh and if I do pass, I will be non GDL for both my class 5 and class 6 right? Or am I going to have to take one on a motorcycle as well?
No, just do the Class 5 Advanced and you'll be Class 56 non-GDL.

kfon
04-17-2012, 11:17 PM
I got my drivers license in Ontario. G1 is learners, G2 is road test. Then G class is a full license w/ highway test. You can also go for the insurance class, 6 classes in total and you will get a better premium. Guess its pretty much the same deal?

K3RMiTdot
04-17-2012, 11:32 PM
i want to take mine. this might be a dumb question, but does GDL VS Non GDL have any effect on insurance?

JfuckinC
04-17-2012, 11:57 PM
lol im 24 and when i posted on my FB about taking the test a ton of people my age owned up to still being GDL :rofl:

nagooro
04-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Do they make you park/parallel park?

cde1966
04-18-2012, 04:36 AM
There's really no point in getting it, unless you have little demerits left.

This, I don't see the point in spending the money. If you're a good driver what's the point. GDL=zero alcohol, advanced licence = you can drink. How about play it safe, drinking anything = no driving.

Look at me mom, I just passed my advanced driving test! Good for you son, how about one for the road! Yeah! and now I get to accumulate more demerits before they take my licence away. I'm so proud of you Timmy...

dimi
04-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Wait a minute, I thought you couldn't drive midnight - 5 AM with GDL. I still have mine 8 years later. I've gone through a few checkstops (after 12pm) and I was told that I technically wasn't allowed to drive after midnight. Noone ever really made a big deal about it though.

Disoblige
04-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by nagooro
Do they make you park/parallel park?
Nope. As mentioned, just be careful at the uncontrolled intersections and show the instructor you're looked and slowed down even if there are no cars.

Originally posted by dimi
Wait a minute, I thought you couldn't drive midnight - 5 AM with GDL. I still have mine 8 years later. I've gone through a few checkstops (after 12pm) and I was told that I technically wasn't allowed to drive after midnight. Noone ever really made a big deal about it though.
Nope, that's class 7 that limits your time to drive.

Chantastic
04-19-2012, 07:09 PM
oh also i believe it allows you to have more passengers in your car then there are seat belts...

but why would you do that anyway?

Squishy
04-19-2012, 09:07 PM
oh also i believe it allows you to have more passengers in your car then there are seat belts...

but why would you do that anyway? Thaaaatss illegal....

chkolny541
04-19-2012, 09:10 PM
i needed to get it to be able to operate a company vehicle a few years back :dunno: .

In my test i had quite a bit of talking about risks around me and such, it was actually kinda challenging having to carry a formal conversation when driving through a neighborhood scanning for uncontrolled intersections. But as far as i can remember i dont think i drove on deerfoot for mine though, we did go up macloed though and then just around the south alittle then we were done

rp_guy
04-20-2012, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Squishy
Thaaaatss illegal....

nope, look at TSA 81(2)

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=2009_122.cfm&leg_type=Regs&isbncln=9780779741847

basically if there is a seat belt it must be used.

J-hop
04-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by rp_guy

nope, look at TSA 81(2)

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=2009_122.cfm&leg_type=Regs&isbncln=9780779741847

basically if there is a seat belt it must be used.

While I understand the laws you quoted, it does say if there is a belt in the passenger seat the passenger must wear it. If you pack 4 people into the back seat of a car they are all sitting in the passenger position are they not? So don't they have to be wearing a seatbelt then?

82(4) also states you must wear it properly adjusted and securely fashioned which obviously means seatbelt sharing is illegal....

So yes I think it's pretty safe to say you will get a fine for more people than seatbelts unless you transport them in the trunk which I'm sure will get you a fine.

schocker
04-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

So yes I think it's pretty safe to say you will get a fine for more people than seatbelts unless you transport them in the trunk which I'm sure will get you a fine.

No, if there are more people than seat belts and each seat belt is used it is not illegal. My sister got a seat belt ticket as a passenger once :rofl:

illtim3d
04-20-2012, 08:42 AM
what is a good place preferably NE or NW to take this test? I took it at AMA crowfoot when I was 18 and failed instantly for going 35 in a play ground zone = ( AMA seems to be alot more "by the book"

Tomaz
04-20-2012, 09:26 AM
I would take it in Strathmore. All they really care about is if you don't kill anybody. Even then, it's a 50/50 chance they wont care. haha

schocker
04-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by illtim3d
what is a good place preferably NE or NW to take this test? I took it at AMA crowfoot when I was 18 and failed instantly for going 35 in a play ground zone = ( AMA seems to be alot more "by the book"
Well you are not supposed to speed with them. I took mine at plates and failed for running a red light :rofl:

whiskas
04-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Coming up on 6 years with GDL and I will roll with it till the day I die. Bullshit cash grab.

94boosted
04-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Mine was super easy, maybe 20 mintues long, didn't have to talk to the instructuor at all, didn't have to parallel park super easy. Just remeber to keep your hands at 10 & 2 and remeber to make sure you leave enough room to see the rear tires of the car in front of you and you'll be fine. :dunno:

J-hop
04-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by schocker

No, if there are more people than seat belts and each seat belt is used it is not illegal. My sister got a seat belt ticket as a passenger once :rofl:

I understand what you are getting at but it clearly states in 82(2)b that if the vehicle is equipped with a seat belt in the passenger seat then the passenger MUST where it. It does not say "if available" as you are implying it say "if equipped" which is different. So if a 4th person sits on a 3 person bench seat they are absolutely in the passenger seat and therefore must wear a belt if the vehicle is equipped. I'm 99% sure you'll get a ticket, and I've had some cabbies deny me a lift because we wanted to stuff 5 people into the car (no we weren't piss drunk, just cheap :rofl: )

schocker
04-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

I understand what you are getting at but it clearly states in 82(2)b that if the vehicle is equipped with a seat belt in the passenger seat then the passenger MUST where it. It does not say "if available" as you are implying it say "if equipped" which is different. So if a 4th person sits on a 3 person bench seat they are absolutely in the passenger seat and therefore must wear a belt if the vehicle is equipped. I'm 99% sure you'll get a ticket, and I've had some cabbies deny me a lift because we wanted to stuff 5 people into the car (no we weren't piss drunk, just cheap :rofl: )
I am mistaken then, my sister must just be dumb. Illegal to transport more occupants than seat belts from googling to confirm.

Little Dragon
04-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by illtim3d

Took mine at Plates in country hills....and failed instantly for not coming to a complete stop when making a right turn at a controlled intersection. Either than that though, he said I would have passed. The test is pretty easy, just normal driving.

illtim3d
04-20-2012, 11:54 AM
cool thanks man. yea the guy said i would have passed other than the speeding issue lol. ill check out Plates