PDA

View Full Version : Another Traffic ticket question thread

kvg
04-19-2012, 01:08 PM
So I made a left turn on 5th st and royal ave and didn't see the no left before 6 sign and a single officer was there and pulled 3 of us over in a row to give us tickets. So I understand that He was just keeping the streets safe from dangerous people like me and the other 2 people, but do I get points for that? My first ticket in ten years and it's for a left turn :facepalm:

G-ZUS
04-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Got that ticket a couple years ago. It was 2 or 3 demerits, can't remember.

kvg
04-19-2012, 01:36 PM
2-3:eek: WTF, for that!

G-ZUS
04-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Should be 2. I tried to plead guilty to a lesser charge, they dropped the fine but kept the demerits on that one.

lilmira
04-19-2012, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it if your record is clean. Just make sure that you don't get more demerits. It shouldn't affect your rate.

http://www.roadlawyers.ca/demerits.html

My rate just went up a hundred bucks for no reason, apparently they change their system :dunno:

kvg
04-19-2012, 01:51 PM
What can I do to loose the demerits and just pay the fine? Can one officer pull over 3 people at once? Any loopholes? If it was just a fine I wouldn't care, but I don't want demerits.

gretz
04-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by kvg
What can I do to loose the demerits and just pay the fine? Can one officer pull over 3 people at once? Any loopholes? If it was just a fine I wouldn't care, but I don't want demerits.

Not much you can do about the demerits unless you go to court and the officer doesn't show...

Cops can pull over as many people they want, for whatever they want, whenever they want... sad but true

lellowrx7
04-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Just go downtown on the date your ticket says.
Wait in the retardedly long line and talk to one of the justices.
He will most likely turn it into a photo ticket, meaning no demerits and just a fine.

Btw 2 demerits is fuck all. Your insurance rate wouldn't even move for that ticket.

kvg
04-19-2012, 02:05 PM
So I should probably just suck it up, because its not worth wasting an afternoon over?

FraserB
04-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by lellowrx7
Just go downtown on the date your ticket says.
Wait in the retardedly long line and talk to one of the justices.
He will most likely turn it into a photo ticket, meaning no demerits and just a fine.

Btw 2 demerits is fuck all. Your insurance rate wouldn't even move for that ticket.

They might reduce the demerits, but won't take them away completely.

Take the least demerits, pay the least amount they are willing to offer and then take the AMA course for $100 and get 3 demerits forgiven.

Modelexis
04-19-2012, 02:42 PM
pay pointts or traffic corps to fight it for you.

Disoblige
04-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
lol, unless it's a big ticket like stunting, careless driving, unreasonable speed, etc., the price outweighs the benefits IMO.

jwslam
04-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by gretz
Not much you can do about the demerits unless you go to court and the officer doesn't show...
How often does that actually happen? Just wondering :dunno:

G
04-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Not sure if it's worth the fight since he made the turn during the restricted time and the sign is in plain view. I would just suck this one up and be more careful next time.

Originally posted by Modelexis

PD77
04-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by gretz

Originally posted by FraserB

They might reduce the demerits, but won't take them away completely.

Take the least demerits, pay the least amount they are willing to offer and then take the AMA course for $100 and get 3 demerits forgiven.

Not true at all.

I went to court, talked with the officer and said I was willing to pay the fine if the demerits were taken off...he spoke with the Crown and voila, no demerits. He was unsure if it was doable but the Crown agreed to it without hesitation so I imagine it's not hard to do.

Good luck.

Disoblige
04-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by PD77

Not true at all.

I went to court, talked with the officer and said I was willing to pay the fine if the demerits were taken off...he spoke with the Crown and voila, no demerits. He was unsure if it was doable but the Crown agreed to it without hesitation so I imagine it's not hard to do.

Good luck.
Could you provide what type of ticket this was, and rough time frame this occurred?

Alright, so you booked a court date and went to court. You got lucky though, I believe.

Did they change the ticket type for you or how did it work? I only got off a high demerit ticket in court with no demerits before because the stupid lady dealing with cases that day was being obnoxious and I told the officer that she looks like she's having a bad day, can we talk to someone else instead. Cop and I went to talk to a older gentleman who also deals with court cases and changed it to a photo radar. Him, cop and I went to see another judge in another room, he approved it and I was on my way.

PD77
04-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Could you provide what type of ticket this was, and rough time frame this occurred?

Sure, it was a "Failing to signal when changing lanes" ticket (2 demerits). It was issued in Sept 2010 and I fought it Sept 2011.

G-ZUS
04-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Not true at all.

Good luck.

How long ago was that?

PD77
04-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Alright, so you booked a court date and went to court. You got lucky though, I believe.

Did they change the ticket type for you or how did it work? I only got off a high demerit ticket in court with no demerits before because the stupid lady dealing with cases that day was being obnoxious and I told the officer that she looks like she's having a bad day, can we talk to someone else instead. Cop and I went to talk to a older gentleman who also deals with court cases and changed it to a photo radar. Him, cop and I went to see another judge in another room, he approved it and I was on my way.

Ticket stayed the same, just no demerits...maybe I was lucky but I just wanted the OP to know that it is possible as I was always told that it wasn't so that's what I believed until I went through the process myself.

frizzlefry
04-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Really?? 2 demerits for violating what is, really, a traffic calming measure? Aren't those "no turn before _ " signs to keep rush hour traffic flowing smoothly? Its not like a you turned onto a one way or anything.

kvg
04-19-2012, 03:19 PM
Can i just pay a traffic lawyer to show for me, I don't wanna spend an afternoon to do this.

max_boost
04-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Depending on the time you go, you might be able to get in and out within an hour. It just depends.

A traffic lawyer guy will charge you $250+ so depending on how much your time is worth. :D

Anyone can show up on your behalf. If you have some broke friends, pay them $50 to do it for you. The crown will automatically reduce the ticket, you don't even have to say anything.

BTW, or you can just take your chances and pay the ticket. I get at least 1 speeding ticket every 1-2 years and they are always the 30-50kms+over variety. Insurance hasn't said a thing.

kvg
04-19-2012, 03:55 PM
I'll just pay it, I have better things to do. Even to send someone down for me(lawyer or friend) will take more time then its worth. I'll just call this a donation for all the speeding tickets officers have let me off of over the years.

lellowrx7
04-19-2012, 04:45 PM

Not true at all.

Good luck.

I had the same thing. I went in, officer asked me why i was fighting it and i told him I dont want the demerits. He talked with the crown and walla, all i had to pay was full price on the u turn ticket and no demerits.

three33
05-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Hopefully someone can answer this for me....My friend was being a retard and speeding, he got caught doing 118 in a 60. Lucky for him it was only a photo radar ticket. Now its a court apperance ticket so if he goes to court does anyone know what will happen? Does he just plead guilty for owning the bike and he pays the fine and hes on his way? Is there more to expect? Any help is appriciated.

FiveFreshFish
05-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by frizzlefry
Really?? 2 demerits for violating what is, really, a traffic calming measure? Aren't those "no turn before _ " signs to keep rush hour traffic flowing smoothly? Its not like a you turned onto a one way or anything.

Not a traffic calming measure. The restriction keeps traffic flowing on 5th Street because northbound 5th Street is a single lane at Royal Avenue, and any car turning left there can potentially block all traffic behind it. It also reduces shortcutting traffic during rush hour.

71car2
06-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by three33
Hopefully someone can answer this for me....My friend was being a retard and speeding, he got caught doing 118 in a 60. Lucky for him it was only a photo radar ticket. Now its a court apperance ticket so if he goes to court does anyone know what will happen? Does he just plead guilty for owning the bike and he pays the fine and hes on his way? Is there more to expect? Any help is appriciated.

Sure, he can just go into the court and plead guilty to the judge and ask for payment options on how he can pay his fine. One thing: he should not get all sassy with the judge, try be pleasant and give all respect. That will put in better chance in reducing the fine.

I did that with my fine in the past and it works. I got mine reduced damn cheap and did my time paid the fine.

Man up, pay or do time on the fine. As long it is paid up!

Kloubek
06-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Had this ticket in BC. No left turn after 4:00, and it was 4:04. 4:12 by the time I drove away.

Cost me 2 demerits.

If you have a clean driving record, don't waste your time. It shouldn't affect anything with your insurance.

GotRice?
07-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Didn't want to create a new thread, but if you're at a red light and you speed up at a pretty fast rate to 10km/h-20km/h over the speed limit(60km/h). Is that considered stunting? Or can they issue you another form of ticket? Could you plead guilty to a lesser charge (ie. speeding?) or not?

FraserB
07-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by GotRice?
Didn't want to create a new thread, but if you're at a red light and you speed up at a pretty fast rate to 10km/h-20km/h over the speed limit(60km/h). Is that considered stunting? Or can they issue you another form of ticket? Could you plead guilty to a lesser charge (ie. speeding?) or not?

Stunting
Speeding
There is a ticket they can issue for unreasonable acceleration

Any of these can be issued for what happened, it is officer discretion based on the particular circumstances of the incident and his interpretation of them. As with any ticket, you can speak to the crown and reducing the demerits/ fine or pleading to a reduced charge.

Grogador
07-10-2012, 08:50 AM
I pay this guy $20-40 per ticket to go downtown for me, he's a former cop, usually get it reduced pretty good. Weird hours as he's downtown half the time but give him a call...

Nadeau & Associates
3500 27 St NE