PDA

View Full Version : MR2 Turbo Shifting issues

sadisticmrtwo
04-19-2012, 01:40 PM
so i have had issues with shifting in the MR2,

5th gear and reverse will sometimes engage sometimes wont

so i changed the fluids in the MR2 transmission.. i still get 50% 5th gear and reverse gear.. shifts smoother though...

would i need to replace my cable? adjust my cable? or replace my bushings??

im having issues ahhh

any help would be much appreciated.

mr2mike
04-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Is it griding when trying to get into gear or you're not even hitting the gear?

I do have a set of 93T shift cables I could sell you if that's what's needed. I just wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet.

bart
04-19-2012, 02:28 PM
if you use the clutch it will make things easier

sadisticmrtwo
04-19-2012, 10:29 PM
mr2mike- doesnt grind when i can get it into gear. it hits on and off.. but i spoke with a buddy and he said adjust linkage, if failed, bushings and internals might be toast...

bart- funny, of course i use the clutch lol not my first rodeo

AE92_TreunoSC
04-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Could be a hydraulic issue, they are a huge pain in the ass to bleed, and often doing it yourself will result in a worse pedal.

I would start by checking the clutch fluid level and inspecting the slave cylinder.

mr2mike
04-20-2012, 03:48 PM
AE92 is right for being a Pain.

http://www.mr2.com/forums/turbo-engine-talk-modifications-swaps/Toyota-MR2-31118-clutch-bleeding.html

Let me know if you need the cables. I'll probably post them up for sale in the next month with other items if you don't need them.

sadisticmrtwo
04-21-2012, 01:09 AM
thanks mr2Mike,

would the clutch be an issue though?

im fine 1-4 no issues not grinding no hard slapping or shifting. reverse goes in when i find the sweet spot.. and when i do i can go into 5th for a bit.. and when im in 5th no grinding slipping or popping out intermittently.

talked to Chico racing and he said adjust linkage cable check bushings and if all else fails.. internals :(

hopefully someones got a Transmission thats still good for cheap.. just need it to last me this season then Rev3 swap next year.

mr2mike
04-23-2012, 08:59 AM
No it's not the clutch.

If it's internals, I'll have a tranny for you too. Just that is still on my car. Taking it off soon and putting in my low km LSD tranny.
Nothing wrong with my tranny, I love it, just it's not LSD.

Let me know how adjusting the linkages goes.

Ek9Max
04-23-2012, 09:19 AM
I got a gen3 tranny (better than 90-92) sitting in my shed.

I'd let it go for $150 . Might need a few seals or something.

sadisticmrtwo
04-23-2012, 04:46 PM
great thanks guys! will keep posted..

havent had time to do anything because of finals.. but someitme this week forsure i'll do the adjustments..

these past few days i havent had any issues getting into 5th or reverse...

JoshP2002
06-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Did you ever figure out what was going on? My reverse grinds when I go into it, and shifting isn't too smooth. I'll be changing my fluids soon - and also replacing the pin and bushing on the clutch pedal linkage so it doesn't squeak/adjust it at the same time for more room. I have my foot on the ground before it fully disengages.

Cody D
06-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by JoshP2002
Did you ever figure out what was going on? My reverse grinds when I go into it, and shifting isn't too smooth. I'll be changing my fluids soon - and also replacing the pin and bushing on the clutch pedal linkage so it doesn't squeak/adjust it at the same time for more room. I have my foot on the ground before it fully disengages.

It's my car now, the problem is still there, I haven't had time to look at it yet, the car shifts into every gear fine except fifth and reverse. The car needs a lot of work and surprisingly this is low on my priority list compared to stopping the oil and coolant leaking out.

dj_rice
06-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Cody D

It's my car now, the problem is still there, I haven't had time to look at it yet, the car shifts into every gear fine except fifth and reverse. The car needs a lot of work and surprisingly this is low on my priority list compared to stopping the oil and coolant leaking out.

Congrats. Any plans for a paint job or keeping that flat paint

Cody D
06-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Congrats. Any plans for a paint job or keeping that flat paint

Thanks man, I bought it for a track only vehicle so the paint isn't important.

sadisticmrtwo
06-25-2012, 06:05 PM
oil and coolant leaking?? damn i fixed the HFH already.. so im not sure if its that acting up again

but im glad she's in a good home now :D and will see more track days than with me..

Congrates Cody.. and i do believe we've met before! i recognized the screen name :D

Cody D
06-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by sadisticmrtwo
oil and coolant leaking?? damn i fixed the HFH already.. so im not sure if its that acting up again

but im glad she's in a good home now :D and will see more track days than with me..

Congrates Cody.. and i do believe we've met before! i recognized the screen name :D

The coolant problem is fixed now, the oil leak I'm pretty sure was a loose oil pan, it's slowed the leak for sure.

It's definitely going to see lots of track days, haha.

sadisticmrtwo
06-26-2012, 01:03 AM
damn.. didnt realize that..i was under and over the car numerous times should have spotted that... :D

GT wing? GT WING! :D gotta keep that ass end down!

im stoked cant wait to see it around corners!